HorribleGoat

[WIP] Female base model project

Heh... My Wizard suggested I try running blender and the script from commandline without UI etc.. Its sooo many times faster.. xD

• Like 3

Alright so binarising the custom skeleton proved to be more difficult than I anticipated. Mikero is already on it though so Im sure it will be resolved soon enough.

Also the list of issues is already become shorter. The Wizard upgraded his spell and the import now pics the motion vector out of the original .rtm and I've already added the missing camera bone to the new skeleton.

I'll probably run new conversion this night now that the speed problem is also solved. 

• Like 3

Sounds like your making great progress :happy:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

Sounds like your making great progress :happy:

By leaps and bounds my good sir!

• Like 3

Quick announcement.

First pass of animation conversion was a success.
While them movement vectors were missing, Most of the new animations set seemed to work ok.

Some tweaking etc will be needed but Im very satisfied with the results so far.

So be warned. Jenny is coming to Altis.

unknown.png

ps.. above is actual game screenshot. Her lack of shadow LOD and textures makes it looke a bit doctored. But this is all Splendid Cam at work!!

• Like 10

G'day HorribleGoat,

Project is coming ahead rapidly. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing Jenny complete basic and get deployed.

• Like 2

Cool beans - just to get a measure of what you're doing here; are you transposing anims to other different skeletons?

Just now, das attorney said:

Cool beans - just to get a measure of what you're doing here; are you transposing anims to other different skeletons?

Yes

• Like 2

Super - I feel for your HDD and fans, having to crunch data for that long :)

:D its actually not that bad.

• Like 2

Cool  :)  Could I ask,,  how come the script takes so long?  

Does it have have to export to a different file format, or is it the sheer weight of data with the xxx number of anims?  (Or some sort of combination - or something else)?

I've already cut down the processing time from the 36hour estimate. I would say it takes 6-8 hours now, though its just a guess.

Biggest slowdown came from running the script Blender open and now that the script can be run from commandline on the backrground its much much faster. The sheer amount of data and files to process is now the last bottleneck.

• Like 2

Fair play  :)

I used to be really into flight sims and downloaded so many GB of Google data for X-Plane 9 to have hi-res terrain using a program called g2xpl.  I remember it took soo long but was worth it.

Obv, different things but I get your commitment and appreciate it  :)

• Like 1

Fair play  :)

I used to be really into flight sims and downloaded so many GB of Google data for X-Plane 9 to have hi-res terrain using a program called g2xpl.  I remember it took soo long but was worth it.

Obv, different things but I get your commitment and appreciate it  :)

Thank you sir!

Also when the process is refined it doesn't need to be run but once for a new skeleton and the refinement tests do not need to be run for the whole set all the time either. Most likely the next pass is 2/3 of whole conversions and inbetween the last one there may be a few test runs with a lot smaller test set thats processing time is in 10s of minutes.

• Like 2

The skeleton must have the same basic structure and same names. Only same named bones receive any changes on import. So you can have extra bones and those will follow any bone they are connected to. Any movement on them have to be applied after import though as the import process is a bit invasive. 

This is not unfortunately magic that does everything, but the best I could come up with.

• Like 3

I got the improved conversion started at 14.00 today. 

My guess of 6-8 hours was pretty spot on for the vanilla conversion with the command line run script. 7 hours 48 minutes for  2330 animations.

I included all the cutscene animations too so I can just change all the animation paths and don't have to worry about the few cutscene ones.

Now the process is still going, Im also running it on all the DLC animations that are currently available, so there is a wee bit more to go before I can test the new set properly. 

• Like 3

At 08.06 the script finished conversion. 

3244 .RTMs / ~4GBs of data converted in ~18 hours

Lets see if they're worth anything. :P

• Like 1

Second conversion pass in game. 

Some kinks still remain. But basic set works without issues so far.

• Like 10

I'm not going to bother pointing out things you already know about. The essence of the motions is there. Even at this stage it's a good demo.

The size of the pack is no surprise either, as it's basically a copy of existing animations. Yes it's huge, but without some kind of procedural morphing system, it's the only way to get it done.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Macser said:

I'm not going to bother pointing out things you already know about. The essence of the motions is there. Even at this stage it's a good demo.

The size of the pack is no surprise either, as it's basically a copy of existing animations. Yes it's huge, but without some kind of procedural morphing system, it's the only way to get it done.

Yep and its actually a lot less than A3 vanilla animations. There are some extra bones (facial expressions?) in them that afaik are not needed and the conversion cuts them off.

While the conversion is magical, its not magical enough to fix everything. x9 Enough for proof of concept though as you said.

If it goes over most people's heads, regarding how difficult it is, or has been, it's because you need to actually try it to get some idea. There's a good reason the subject isn't well developed, despite the benefits. 

One thing is certain.

What ever scripting your colleague has created probably shaved off at least a year of pulling your hair out. 

• Like 5

Looks like you've done the impossible. :) Great work. I can't wait to see Jenny fully in game.

• Like 2