Chairborne

LCVP - Higgins Boat

I've been working on this model of a Landing Craft, i got most of the coding done with physx, gearbox, gunner positions, ramp animations and such.

The problem however is that im not really good with unwrapping/textures (and the model probably needs a few tweaks in a few spots), so here's the deal:

I'm willing to share the model with whoever wants to help out with the texturing (you can do whatever you want with it as long as it's non-commercial and you return the updated files), im either going to add this to CUP Vehicles pack or release it as a personal project.

As i said it has most of the coding done (including reload animations and such) and right now it's dependent on CUP Weapons for the M2 config, the few odd things you may see in the video below are most likely easy fixes (like the bullet/link particles or the placeholder stuff). It has room for 22 passengers plus 4 crewmen (still missing the commander next to the driver), it can be driven on with small enough vehicles (will use CUP cargo load framework), the only problem is that physx doesn't like the added weight so it's probably going to need some roll on/roll off system.

Haven't decided what to do with cargo anims, i could probably fit more soldiers if they were standing but i don't like the idea of someone taking potshots at them, will add some FFV slots too perhaps.

If you're interested in helping me shoot me a PM on here.

Anyway here's the video:

Regards

• Like 13

This is very impressive work, to add variation instead of an M2. What about GL added on one of the hard points? :)

I actually was considering another version with a Dshkm or a PKB for Opfor users, or maybe a replacement with M240s because of the higher ROF (even though i like all the DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA of the M2 :D ).

Because of how grenade launchers work, they make ships wobble a lot when they shoot. If you try the RHIB Mk19 in CUP Vehicles you'll notice how much that affects the ship.

I actually was considering another version with a Dshkm or a PKB for Opfor users, or maybe a replacement with M240s because of the higher ROF (even though i like all the DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA of the M2 :D ).

Because of how grenade launchers work, they make ships wobble a lot when they shoot. If you try the RHIB Mk19 in CUP Vehicles you'll notice how much that affects the ship.

Have you not been able to replicate the vanilla speedboats' remote 40 mm GMG working fine, at least from the optics/PiP view?

why do civilians need M2's?  :P

• Like 1

Have you not been able to replicate the vanilla speedboats' remote 40 mm GMG working fine, at least from the optics/PiP view?

It has the same problem if you pay close attention, the boat moves slightly away from the direction you shoot at.

why do civilians need M2's?  :P

After BI took away all the women weapons became the number one stress relief. :D

jk it's the placeholder text from the samples

• Like 5

Have you considered adding a version that allows people to stand up instead of sit down? I know the growing WWII community would enjoy that.

• Like 3

Have you considered adding a version that allows people to stand up instead of sit down? I know the growing WWII community would enjoy that.

"Haven't decided what to do with cargo anims, i could probably fit more soldiers if they were standing but i don't like the idea of someone taking potshots at them, will add some FFV slots too perhaps." :P

• Like 1

Hmmm... In terms of roll PhysX and roll on/roll off, why not just tweak the buoyancy of the vessel so that configuring a workaround for cargo isn't necessary. I've done testing with one of Hatchet's ships, and I was able to transport a large sum of cargo without the use of tie down, or workaround scripts. Of course though, as you would in real life, you have to navigate the ship at certain speeds and not turn too hard because you'll capsize due the the extra weight. These are a few things to consider, just my two cents. It'd be cool because of the way PhysX works, things can function much more naturally depending on how you tweak them. Awesome vessel BTW. Can't wait to try it out sometime.

Oooh nice Chairborne, this looks like it will be a great mod especially for the Tanoa expansion.  :thumb:

Hmmm... In terms of roll PhysX and roll on/roll off, why not just tweak the buoyancy of the vessel so that configuring a workaround for cargo isn't necessary. I've done testing with one of Hatchet's ships, and I was able to transport a large sum of cargo without the use of tie down, or workaround scripts. Of course though, as you would in real life, you have to navigate the ship at certain speeds and not turn too hard because you'll capsize due the the extra weight. These are a few things to consider, just my two cents. It'd be cool because of the way PhysX works, things can function much more naturally depending on how you tweak them. Awesome vessel BTW. Can't wait to try it out sometime.

If you change the buoyancy the landing craft ends up skimming over the water surface like a speedboat, definitely not optimal. Also roll on/roll off workaround is needed because if you get ashore too fast and the boat is stuck (like you're technically supposed to) there's no way to get back into the water, unlike real landing crafts that use the anchors to pull themselves back into the water (hence the name "roll on/roll off").

• Like 2

What did happen to this?  Is it still in the making, available somewhere I'm unaware of, canceled?

Would love to put this in one of my missions!

Veeery slow progress. Got buried under a lot of other stuff unfortunately.

Great work..wish I could help out but don't know much about modeling...with Tanoa now I am surprised we haven't been bombed with Landing craft from modders..I really would have thought BI would provide a nice Model with the DLC...keep up the good work I'll be watching this progress thanks for sharing!

Diesel

• Like 1

Just wanted to make a suggestion..Ive been using the old Burnes MK10 Landingcraft and I run into issues when they are on the beach in heavy wind or waves they tend to drift away from shore..I'd suggest some sort of anchor that can be deployed front and rear to keep the landing craft from drifting away...even loaded the LC tends to drift away from shore..just a suggestion for you.

Diesel

arma3%202016-09-14%2015-59-06-80_zpskjna

• Like 3

I dont remember having such problems to be honest, but i would have to script a way to push the boat back if it was to get stuck on the beach for sure.

• Like 1

Veeery slow progress. Got buried under a lot of other stuff unfortunately.

Ah, ok, no worries!

Just wondering since it seemed so close to finished in the clip, and hoping that it wasn't scrapped.  :)