Sign in to follow this  
thenorwood

Why i love Arma 2, but Arma 3 makes me meh

The biggest difference between A2 and A3 is that with A2 we had a nice MP game, with A3 all of that is lost.
Anyone remember Domination?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en9xozyhr_A
Anyone miss the awesome MP hours of fun?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3lhrfiAYvg
Anyone miss A2 awesome graphics (without lag)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeK2srtwA8s
All that is lost with A3. Now is only Life Zombie of The Hill stuff.

• Like 1

Nah. ArmA 2 had it´s days. ArmA 3 engine and gameplay is better. If you like ArmA 2, pick up the mods (CUP,ACE,...) and throw in ArmA 3 engine.

Domination was fun in Chernarus but now KOTH is better

I think there's a degree of nostalgia going on. First off, the reason Arma II CO had so much content is because it had the luxury of being able to port over lots of its equipment from Arma 1, which only came out a year beforehand, then it got a major expansion with OA and three faction packs, two of which had lite versions included with OA. So it's not really a fair comparison. Secondly, Bohemia has always dabbled in "near future" content.  Arma 2 had Russians with AK-107's and OA had the US Army using the SCAR-L. Thirdly, there are good reasons to go with a future setting, trademark rules surrounding true to life depictions of trademarked weapons have became more complex since 2010 because defense manufacturing companies now see video games as having a major impact on marketing and brand perception. And aside from that, a modern day set Arma 3 would have had a "war on terror" storyline, and it's less then 2 years later, and that's now an incredibly awkward topic to use as entertainment in a video game.    

That's like... Totally your opinion, man. I play nothing but vanilla sp content. I don't like mods similar to ACE and the CUP because of 1. My own mods which I can only work on if I don't have potentially conflicting mods running and 2. I don't like to clutter up my game. It's increasing loading times and fills up the unit lists in the editor.

And now again-- what does a mission pack dlc hurt you? You don't want it, then don't buy it. Done. The mission designer working on the pack would never fix tank tracks or program you better engine features anyway.

I prefer arma 3 design - I rather have engine improvement (Heli Advanced flight model, firing from vehicle,

bipods, refined hitpoints system, slingloading) then pure content.All above were part of DLCs (despite features free,

content is paid)

Whole lotta this.

Im a live and let live sort and that is what is great about sandbox game like arma but ill never get how content beats functionality. Personally it seems a shame that people invest countless hours in true ballistics models when the resulting injury is a nanosecond twitch followed by lethal return fire regardless. Spending so much time dressing up new helos, armor, and fast movers when they all pretty much fly move and target the same. The point of a dress up GI Joe with countless uniform variants when there is zero real battlefield behaviour between factions.

Dont get me wrong, variety is spice of life but without intriguing functional differences of gameplay makes the game far more same-y.

• Like 4

Presumably the BI playable content team is hard at work on the campaign for the Apex Tanoa Expansion.  We cannot really compare A2CO + DLC with A3 without including Apex, but we sure can compare the DLCs alone.

ArmA2 has TONS of futuristic equipment actually.

Lem'me  just get some that stuff off the head:

-SCAR rifles were never issued outside SOCOM and saw VERY limited use

-BTR-90 never went anywhere near even pre-production trials deployment

-Vodnik same

-AK-107 same

-BAF IFV with conceptual turret

-X-35B anyone?

And OA campaign sucked balls story and voice acting vise. Infact all A2 voice-work was just bad (lightly using that term here)

Used to hate the future stuff (is it even that future?) but with time the nostalgia starts to let go.

I still have OFP, AA, and A2 on my HDD for different reasons. But with Eden update, CUP, RHS and other mods - A3 is my main platform now.

Also I have a fairly el-cheapo rig and can run A3 almost maxed with mods and even MP (mostly non-modded public servers)...

PS: i'm not saying that everyone's wrong and i'm not. this post simply conveys my own experiences and conclusions i've come to as a 10+ year OFPer

• Like 1

IMHO the main issue of the A3 "futuristic" setting is that doesn't seem to be coherent at all.

Why would the US recover the under-armed Comanche as their main attack helo, when it was meant to be the observer of the Apaches.

Why does the US switch to the Merkava family if their economy was going down? The Merkava family is quite a niche tank & APC (Namer).

Why such a high-tech rich CSAT have clones of the NATO drones instead of super-duper ones?

Why all sides use the same static weapons, MGs and mortars?

Why do most factions use the same turrets?! If they have different technologies, economies, etc.

Why do most factions share patrol boat design, mini submarine (Seal Delivery Vehicle), and other boats?

Why would CSAT use a police MRAP with huge windows as their main recon, and not have a Gyrocam similar, with doors that when open expose most of the interior, etc.?

Why does the superrich CSAT use a relatively old (for 2035) Russian truck as mover? (they are logical for the AAF tho)

Why does the CSAT use Typhoon MRAP trucks with an unprotected bed as transport trucks?

Why the US main mover is the heavy and huge HEMTT truck? Really unpractical in most places.

What's the point of the huge metallic towers in Altis? They can be easily attacked from all directions.

Why most AT weapons have less technology than the nowadays ones?

Why most vehicles have hatches modeled, but can't be used with the FFV feature?

Why Altis is inhabited by an all-men population wearing shorts and polo t-shirts... as if they were tourist in mount Athos (where women are forbidden to be). And no Mediterranean men don't tend to wear that clothing in a day by day basis. I lived by the Mediterranean coast for a lot of years and travelled often to France and Greece.

BI did a really good job with the SP campaign and the showcase missions, but seems like they mixed up and hurried most of their factions. I gotta say that the situation improved a bit with the new DLCs, that are more coherent.

I've huge hopes for Apex, hopefully BI people have checked these issues (that have been talked to death in this forums)  :)

• Like 12

IMHO the main issue of the A3 "futuristic" setting is that doesn't seem to be coherent at all.

Why would the US recover the under-armed Comanche as their main attack helo, when it was meant to be the observer of the Apaches.

Why does the US switch to the Merkava family if their economy was going down? The Merkava family is quite a niche tank & APC (Namer).

Why such a high-tech rich CSAT have clones of the NATO drones instead of super-duper ones?

Why all sides use the same static weapons, MGs and mortars?

Why do most factions use the same turrets?! If they have different technologies, economies, etc.

Why do most factions share patrol boat design, mini submarine (Seal Delivery Vehicle), and other boats?

Why would CSAT use a police MRAP with huge windows as their main recon, and not have a Gyrocam similar, with doors that when open expose most of the interior, etc.?

Why does the superrich CSAT use a relatively old (for 2035) Russian truck as mover? (they are logical for the AAF tho)

Why does the CSAT use Typhoon MRAP trucks with an unprotected bed as transport trucks?

Why the US main mover is the heavy and huge HEMTT truck? Really unpractical in most places.

What's the point of the huge metallic towers in Altis? They can be easily attacked from all directions.

Why most AT weapons have less technology than the nowadays ones?

Why most vehicles have hatches modeled, but can't be used with the FFV feature?

Why Altis is inhabited by an all-men population wearing shorts and polo t-shirts... as if they were tourist in mount Athos (where women are forbidden to be). And no Mediterranean men don't tend to wear that clothing in a day by day basis. I lived by the Mediterranean coast for a lot of years and travelled often to France and Greece.

BI did a really good job with the SP campaign and the showcase missions, but seems like they mixed up and hurried most of their factions. I gotta say that the situation improved a bit with the new DLCs, that are more coherent.

I've huge hopes for Apex, hopefully BI people have checked these issues (that have been talked to death in this forums)  :)

some good points made here, where i agree on.

Original A3 plans were huge , but we all know what later happend with BIS devs on Lemnos 

that's why everything what mistyronin mentioned is in the final A3

I really wonder how different and better A3 could been if that accident never happend

and i really doubt the Apex expansion will fix those issues imho

Pardon me, but are my mushy vision globes deceiving me?  Is this... one of those threads... of which the elders spoke of?!

• Like 2

ARMA 3  concept is ok.

But, CSAT does not fit in A3, even more when you use Nato references. To be honest, CSAT does no fit anywhere.

All the rest os ok.

Btw, A3 concept is not futuristic, in fact belongs to past and a very far one.

It's a terrible approach and the only reason BI can afford it is because it has a modding community that will eagerly do their work for free.

The things games are bought for is the interesting gameplay/story and DayZ mod had proven that majority of players will tolerate even the most terrible issues if there's interesting gameplay, and, as we all know, vanilla Arma 3 lacks both of these crucial components. There is no interesting missions and the content is boring, inconsistent and average quality at best.

Nobody really cares about engine improvements. That campaign will not receive a whole new non-linear plot just because you can shoot from the back of a truck. Nobody really cares about whether you can deploy weapon or not. That little mission isn't going to become more interesting and immersive just because you can now rest your weapon. All these fancy technical things are great but they aren't the reason why people buy games.

I care about the engine improvements, but the reality is that if this game did not have such a vibrant modding community doing the work that Bohemia Interactive should be doing this game would have sunk many moons ago. We put up with the absolute massive amount of flaws this game has just to play it because it's the only game on the market currently that offers a military simulator sandbox styled approach. Just like I put up with the even mechanically worse Iron Front 1944-1945 (WW2 standalone for Arma 2) just because it was the only WW2 game of it's kind. 

• Like 5

Sunbeds should not exist in the world of Arma.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

OK, we have reached the "The community is doing BI's work!" point in the thread cycle... so I'm gonna be a good security drone and lock it.

Reasons:

1. This topic has been discussed before and it always leads to a dispute, with neither side being able to convince the other, thus trowing the thread into chaos.

2. Neither side is wrong or right, but due to the fact that we usually apply confirmation bias when it comes to fueling personal beliefs/convictions, leaving this thread open would serve little. (but fell free to give me a good enough reason via PM and I might re-open it_

3. This is an unauthorized gathering! Disperse! All hail Bohemia! All hail his Majesty Prince Pettka, Lord of the Bounce and High Septon of the Nobel Order of Configurers, first of his name!

oh yeah... I forgot the British fellow...

All hail that dude as well!

• Like 5