Sign in to follow this  
Joe98

Software for screenshots

Can anyone recommend good software to take screenshots of Arma3.

I note the Fraps community seems to have disappeared.

My vote goes to MSI Afterburner. Although it's not just for screenshots, but also for fps & hardware monitoring, and video recording.

Arma 3 runs with steam on so you can press print screen button (Prt Scr) to take screenshots.

Arma 3 runs with steam on so you can press print screen button (Prt Scr) to take screenshots.

By default its F12 in steam.

I use Bandicam - handy as you can output straight to .jpeg

By the way, Afterburner also has a pre-recording feature which is pretty handy for screenshots.

It continously records a few previous seconds (or minutes if you want) on video. So when you see something worth screenshotting but it's too late to press the capture key, just double tap the video button to save the moment afterwards. Then use some video player/editor (VLC Media player for me) to extract the best still frame. With the highest video quality setting, it's almost as good as an uncompressed screenshot.

Where are these screenshots saved?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\95129507\760\remote\42690\screenshots   maybe you have to look at other folders wich different numbers but try this you will find them

Its also a bit tedious, but you can open the screenshots viewer in STEAM (right click the taskbar icon and then click 'Screenshots'). Then in the drop-down box at the top select ArmA3. This will show thumbnails of all your screenshots, then simply double click the one you want to open it in your default application - Microsoft Photos (or the non Windows 10 equivalent) usually allows you to CTRL+C the image as a whole and then you can paste it where-ever you like.

Hello, Joe98!

If you are running Arma 3 over steam you can take screenshots by pressing F12 while in-game.

However, if you are looking for an external software to take screenshots I would recommend the next software:

• Puush ( http://puush.me/ ). It is an amazing capture tool which instanly uploads taken screenshots and gives you a link to it which you can share!

Kind regards,

t1on.

Where are these screenshots saved?

Wherever you tell Steam to save them. Go to Settings > In-Game and click on the Screenshot Folder button to set your preferred location. Pretty much any screenshot/recording application will allow you to do the same.

SCREENSHOT.JPG

High technology always fails for me.

I have created a folder to save screenshots and selected that folder.

You can see that I can take screen shots and edit screen shots and upload screenshots to a forum.

I cannot take screenshots in Arma 3!

So then, which of my settings is wrong?

Change your key from F12 to something like Scroll Lock, or Home. They aren't used (or at least not noticeably used) within ArmA, whereas F12 is used as part of the command and control aspect and may be a conflict.

Change your key from F12 to something like Scroll Lock, or Home. They aren't used (or at least not noticeably used) within ArmA, whereas F12 is used as part of the command and control aspect and may be a conflict.

This was my first thought, but the default F12 binding doesn't conflict with the Steam screenshot function. Tested and working fine on my end.

Joe98, are you using TrackIR? The default "center" key is F12, and by default is "trapped" by TrackIR.

As others have mentioned, I simply use the F12 key in Steam. For recording I use Nvidia ShadowPlay.

Nope. My only software is Microsoft Office, Acrobat Reader, Arms 3 and Computer War in Europe 2.

F12 does not work. I tried assigning other keys and they failed too!

Nope. My only software is Microsoft Office, Acrobat Reader, Arms 3 and Computer War in Europe 2.

Are you using any plugins such as SweetFX or similar? They may be hooking the keys before STEAM and as such could be causing interference. Does your Steam overlay work with SHIFT+TAB (or whatever key combo you have defined)?

No. I listed all my software above. Of course I also installed Steam.

No. I listed all my software above. Of course I also installed Steam.

But does the steam overlay work in the game? And you haven't disabled it for Arma 3? Check it in Arma's steam properties.

I see that Shift+Tab is Steam overlay.

1. What is Steam Overlay?  I confirm that it does not work in game.

2. Is Steam overlay supposed to work when I am not in the game?

3. If Steam is running in the background and the game is not running, and I am at the desktop, should F12 still create screen shots?

Check it in Arma's steam properties.

Thank you that is the answer!

In my Steam library each and every game has an option to "Disable Steam Overlay".  (In my case one game - Arma 3)

Yes it was disabled by default.  I enabled it and now I can:

- Enable Steam overlay while in game

- Take screenshots

Thank you to al!

I see that Shift+Tab is Steam overlay.

1. What is Steam Overlay?  I confirm that it does not work in game.

2. Is Steam overlay supposed to work when I am not in the game?

3. If Steam is running in the background and the game is not running, and I am at the desktop, should F12 still create screen shots?

1. Its basically an overlay (funny that!) that comes up in a semi- transparent full-screen and shows your friends list, steam guides, the current time etc. It should work into other games too (all Steam games anyway).

2. No. Only when in game.

3. No.

My vote goes to Dxtory. It just works and at the moment I kind of try to stay away from Steam overlay.

- It's very light and no bugs.

- Full of features and settings (FPS monitor, video recording(PRO))

Well in that case you are probably better off just using Fraps. Even if the community has disappeared, the software is still totally usable.