All right, to test and demonstrate rolling take-off of the CH46, I made this 3-minute movie. For test purposes the helicopter was loaded with 5000kG virtual cargo. At the beginning, I tried to take off vertically using emergency power settings and failed. Then, used a rolling take-off to wheels-up at speed of app. 60 kph using military power settings and TFL phenomenon. With such load, safe landing can be done at flat terrain with speed > 30 kph and wheels brakes off.
Note that it's WIP and most likely the engines power will be reduced as the heli would never lift off so extreme weight. Also, it's only starting point as the climate module will reduce the heli's lifting capability further to the point where, with high ambient temperature, at high altitude downwind take-off no lifting forces will be produced while using AFM.

• Like 5

Interesting.  Looking forward to seeing it!

I guess the point I was trying to communicate is that anything using "waituntil" causes lag, which is an inescapable product of that command.  Usually not noticed in most missions, but on high use MP servers you get to see all the scripting issues slap you in the face :)

I'm not following your "1 second equals 1 hour" statement?

I didn't know that waituntil causes lag i thought the opposite thanks for the info! Well basically I meant that the script refreshes every some seconds for now I have it like 800 seconds but I am thinking of changing it to 1200 seconds. We all know that arma uses actual time speed so 1 hour is 3600 seconds but some players use the time multiplier. When a time multiplier is used 1 hour no longer equals to 3600 seconds. So I thought re checking every x seconds would be the only appropriate way to go. What I am also trying to write so I make the script more advanced is make it refresh every 3600 seconds and in case a time multiplier is used it divides the multiplier by the amount of seconds in this case 3600 and we get the new amount y that the script will refresh in. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that :) I also need to mention I am horrible at math :D

All right, to test and demonstrate rolling take-off of the CH46, I made this 3-minute movie. For test purposes the helicopter was loaded with 5000kG virtual cargo. At the beginning, I tried to take off vertically using emergency power settings and failed. Then, used a rolling take-off to wheels-up at speed of app. 60 kph using military power settings and TFL phenomena. With such load, safe landing can be done at flat terrain with speed > 30 kph and wheels brakes off.
Note that it's WIP and most likely the engines power will be reduced as the heli would never lift off so extreme weight. Also, it's only starting point as the climate module will reduce the heli's lifting capability further to the point where, with high ambient temperature, at high altitude downwind take-off no lifting forces will be produced while using AFM.

Man when I fly with the AFM I can only fly the big bitches. The damn little bird though fuck my life. Also looks like you kinda dropped it at the end :)

Man when I fly with the AFM I can only fly the big bitches. The damn little bird though fuck my life. Also looks like you kinda dropped it at the end :)

Actually, I landed quite smoothly given the fact that the heli weighted so much and lost of lifting was inevitable. Only nose landing gear hit the ground hard. The reason why I haven't fallen from the sky basically like a rock at that airspeed was the ground effect, also called "air pillow" in Polish language, which is by the way nearly accurate description how the effect works :)

Regarding the script, I think that you can safely set the cycle at 800 seconds as you did. The script is simple, small, not much the math involved so I would be surprised if any lag at all was noticed by players.

• Like 1

Actually, I landed quite smoothly given the fact that the heli weighted so much and lost of lifting was inevitable. Only nose landing gear hit the ground hard. The reason why I haven't fallen from the sky basically like a rock at that airspeed was the ground effect, also called "air pillow" in Polish language, which is by the way nearly accurate description how the effect works :)

Regarding the script, I think that you can safely set the cycle at 800 seconds as you did. The script is simple, small, not much the math involved so I would be surprised if any lag at all was noticed by players.

How did you set the weight of the lift? Amount of items in the cargo?

Gotcha, I ain't no helo expert I just think they are beautiful and fly them.

Slingload test. To lift the truck I was forced to do kinda unrealistic rolling-takeoff trick. No more music, I promise! ;)
The truck mass was 3200 kG but its fuel should also be taken into account, I guess. Thus, decreasing amount of fuel in the heli's tanks, one could go with external cargo up to 3600-3800 in the best environmental conditions. Which seems to be right number as 4.5 tons of external cargo to be allegedly lifted by the heli was never proved correct in RL, according to data I've found. Note that the Echo version has been upgraded with over 1000 kG of amour plating and other systems which degraded the heli's performance considerably. If someone corrects me (sources would be welcomed), I will greatly appreciate it. 

• Like 8

Slingload test. To lift the truck I was forced to do kinda unrealistic rolling-takeoff trick. No more music, I promise! ;)

The truck mass was 3200 kG but its fuel should also be taken into account, I guess. Thus, decreasing amount of fuel in the heli's tanks, one could go with external cargo up to 3600-3800 in the best environmental conditions. Which seems to be right number as 4.5 tons of external cargo to be allegedly lifted by the heli was never proved correct in RL, according to data I've found. Note that the Echo version has been upgraded with over 1000 kG of amour plating and other systems which degraded the heli's performance considerably. If someone corrects me (sources would be welcomed), I will greatly appreciate it. 

Oh god I can't even think of how much the air and weather modules will change this, maybe even make it fucking impossible especially with AFM.

Oh god I can't even think of how much the air and weather modules will change this, maybe even make it fucking impossible especially with AFM.

That's the point. In case of Mi-17, very high ambient temperature limits max take off weight (MTOW) of the heli down by over 4000 kG. This is more then the helicopter can lift. It means, you have to reduce fuel taken onboard to be able to take off vertically, with no cargo and crew at all under such conditions. And the modules you've mentioned are targeted at pilots using AFM only. Please, take it into account while working on them, ie. this command can help:  https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/difficultyEnabledRTD

That's the point. In case of Mi-17, very high ambient temperature limits max take off weight (MTOW) of the heli down by over 4000 kG. This is more then the helicopter can lift. It means, you have to reduce fuel taken onboard to be able to take off vertically, with no cargo and crew at all under such conditions. And the modules you've mentioned are targeted at pilots using AFM only. Please, take it into account while working on them, ie. this command can help:  https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/difficultyEnabledRTD

We either never talked about it or I forgot it. So you only want the modules to work when AFM is enabled? No problem.

We either never talked about.

Yeah, it's possible, my bad. I just don't want to impede casual pilots flying. They have their flying time enough hard due to lack of joysticks, TrackIRs and stuff like that. The addon, together with the system, is rather for hardcore sim pilots, however it would also be great if your modules can be called from the heli init by setting some variables as true or false.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's possible, my bad. I just don't want to impede casual pilots flying. They have their flying time enough hard due to lack of joysticks, TrackIRs and stuff like that. The addon, together with the system, is rather for hardcore sim pilots, however it would also be great if your modules can be called from the heli init by setting some variables as true or false.

Gotcha, I was thinking exactly the same thing some people just want to have a casual flight, other's cant fly with AFM etc

Gotcha, I was thinking exactly the same thing some people just want to have a casual flight, other's cant fly with AFM etc

Hows your module coming along buddy?

I didn't know that waituntil causes lag i thought the opposite thanks for the info! Well basically I meant that the script refreshes every some seconds for now I have it like 800 seconds but I am thinking of changing it to 1200 seconds. We all know that arma uses actual time speed so 1 hour is 3600 seconds but some players use the time multiplier. When a time multiplier is used 1 hour no longer equals to 3600 seconds. So I thought re checking every x seconds would be the only appropriate way to go. What I am also trying to write so I make the script more advanced is make it refresh every 3600 seconds and in case a time multiplier is used it divides the multiplier by the amount of seconds in this case 3600 and we get the new amount y that the script will refresh in. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that :) I also need to mention I am horrible at math :D

Oh yes indeed!  Referencing here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/waitUntil

... you can see where it runs on EACH FRAME.  So that Example 3 adds a sleep command to keep it running 10x/second.

That's why I was suggesting that, instead of running the script on INIT, run it on a GETIN EH, so that it only runs when the chopper is occupied.  Or the ENGINE EH, so that it only runs when the chopper is turned on.  Etc. etc. etc.

And let's be clear - I'm not saying joe blow who downloads this and plays in the editor will see it.  Try running it on a MP server where you have "more than one" script running... watch the frame rate plummet :)  Since learning how much my scripts suck, I am actively removing waituntil whenever possible in my scripts.  No problems in SP, to be certain.  Put them on a MP server and let the complaints begin LOL

Remember unless the code has changed recently, Arma has a dedicated THREAD to process scripts.  This multi-threading bottleneck means you have to share that thread with other scripts in every cycle of the CPU.  Which is one reason why you see servers needing to be rebooted every so often.  And also why you usually only see 1 CPU spiked when running a game.  And so on and so on.

• Like 1

Oh yes indeed!  Referencing here:

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/waitUntil

... you can see where it runs on EACH FRAME.  So that Example 3 adds a sleep command to keep it running 10x/second.

That's why I was suggesting that, instead of running the script on INIT, run it on a GETIN EH, so that it only runs when the chopper is occupied.  Or the ENGINE EH, so that it only runs when the chopper is turned on.  Etc. etc. etc.

And let's be clear - I'm not saying joe blow who downloads this and plays in the editor will see it.  Try running it on a MP server where you have "more than one" script running... watch the frame rate plummet :)  Since learning how much my scripts suck, I am actively removing waituntil whenever possible in my scripts.  No problems in SP, to be certain.  Put them on a MP server and let the complaints begin LOL

Remember unless the code has changed recently, Arma has a dedicated THREAD to process scripts.  This multi-threading bottleneck means you have to share that thread with other scripts in every cycle of the CPU.  Which is one reason why you see servers needing to be rebooted every so often.  And also why you usually only see 1 CPU spiked when running a game.  And so on and so on.

While for now I will keep it like this I will look in changing it in the future. Thanks Pookie

No problem, glad I can help out in some small way :)

• Like 2

This video is old, but still bad ass to the core. 

• Like 2

Any updates? 

I am finishing up some scripting and sending it to the team then we'll see.

Any updates?

Patience is a virtue. I know you would like to read a lot about the development but the mod is coming soon, as Nightintruder write two weeks ago. It's going to be fantastic. So before you know it, it is online. And besides. Nightintruder made clear that he hates posts regarding the development.

Patience is a virtue. I know you would like to read a lot about the development but the mod is coming soon, as Nightintruder write two weeks ago. It's going to be fantastic. So before you know it, it is online. And besides. Nightintruder made clear that he hates posts regarding the development.

I have been patient. It was a question in regards to the scripting, not the addon itself, I should have been more clear. Not trying to rush anything at all. I just enjoy seeing what kind of new developments the team has made