What kind of weather impacts are we talking. Temp, density altitude, wind, and humidity? Also, will all the instruments in the cockpit work for some IFR flying?

Looks awesome, very nice job so far.

Awesome to see the 46 Echoes getting their due. Great job guys.

I'm glad to be helping NightIntruder, I really like your idea for the weather having an impact on the helo. It's something arma is definitely missing

Agreed, weather drastically affects us in aviation. I'm pretty excited for this release! Bravo to the team!

• Like 2

those interior/exterior textures    :wub:

• Like 1

I really admire what you are creating. With about zero experience - atleast thats what i thought - and you are creating this beautiy with a incredible high level of quality... 

I admire you guys

• Like 3

Thanks gents. I have been converting FSX models into Arma2 for more than two years, that gave me some basic experience about configs. I think, people should trust more in their capabilities. Everything can be learnt, it's a matter of time, motivation, patience and perseverance. And people willing to help you, when all those factors above are insufficient. And people who just thanks you or admiring you so giving you a satisfaction from the work. And this is what the forums were created for, I guess. Thus, modding is rarely struggling alone, it's more about joint effort everyone can participate in. Everyone in this thread plays a part in the effort. Thank all of you for that.

• Like 7

Thanks gents. I have been converting FSX models into Arma2 for more than two years, that gave me some basic experience about configs. I think, people should trust more in their capabilities. Everything can be learnt, it's a matter of time, motivation, patience and perseverance. And people willing to help you, when all those factors above are insufficient. And people who just thanks you or admiring you so giving you a satisfaction from the work. And this is what the forums were created for, I guess. Thus, modding is rarely struggling alone, it's more about joint effort everyone can participate in. Everyone in this thread plays a part in the effort. Thank all of you for that.

When a mod author invests so much time and effort into building something incredibly well detailed with great features, such as yourself, the general public are going to hype and constantly compliment you and whoever is involved with the project. And when something as great as yours appears on the forums I guess its your audience's job to keep you motivated and pushing on because we, as much as you, want to see this mod finished and not abandoned. So I know for a fact I could say this on behalf of many other members of the community, we thank you too buddy 

What's more, Alex150201 joined and helps me to create weather impact (on performance) system.

Good luck on the weather.  Eager to see how you make it happen without performance issues.  My thoughts would be to create a function that loads into memory on INIT, or its existence is checked, and call that function when engine is on, and stops doing its thing after engine off.  Otherwise you have a script running constantly even if it is an empty vehicle.

Another problem with all these "high-fidelity" adjustments is that then you have to start thinking about adjusting fuel consumption, etc. which isn't currently easy to model.

I also looked into the Wind scripting command.  I use it for basic adjustment of flares, etc. At one time I was researching putting it into a sailboat script to make the sails move around... I assume you could adjust a chopper's velocity slightly based on that as well.  I never really got a good start with the sailboat script as there are too many other mods and not enough time :)

Good luck on the weather.  Eager to see how you make it happen without performance issues.  My thoughts would be to create a function that loads into memory on INIT, or its existence is checked, and call that function when engine is on, and stops doing its thing after engine off.  Otherwise you have a script running constantly even if it is an empty vehicle.

Another problem with all these "high-fidelity" adjustments is that then you have to start thinking about adjusting fuel consumption, etc. which isn't currently easy to model.

I also looked into the Wind scripting command.  I use it for basic adjustment of flares, etc. At one time I was researching putting it into a sailboat script to make the sails move around... I assume you could adjust a chopper's velocity slightly based on that as well.  I never really got a good start with the sailboat script as there are too many other mods and not enough time :)

On the weather script what it's pretty much doing so far which I am satisfied of, at the beginning of the mission depending on a few different variables such as the terrain you are playing on, the season it is on your terrain, the time of the day, a temperature is picked at which then different values are added and subtracted depending on how the weather changes (rain, more wind, getting late, etc.). It's checked every so long so 1) it won't impact performance and 2) it would be pointless because I don't think anyone has ever made a mission for arma that 1 actual hour equals to 1 second, that would be retarded. For the wind now I have split it into compass bearings and basically check if the helo is heading towards the wind or away from it. The wind needs some more improvements obviously but it's not what I am focusing on at the moment. 

• Like 3

As Alex said, the climate module he's working on is not so "high-fidelity" as someone could expect. I think that two of many weather components play most important role in limiting engines performance - an ambient temperature and a wind. The temperature should reflect a climate of a terrain, with its drops and raises during whole day. Also, the temperature should change itself with a change of altitude the helicopter flies at. The second component, which is wind, is gonna play important role during take-offs and landings mostly. There's no intentions to affects specific fuel consumption due to upwind flight, that's beyond the scope of the climate module. However, a change of a helicopter's speed may happen as a side effect of using the module.

• Like 1

That moment you keep pressing F5 for more release info and that you realise you have a mental problem

• Like 4

That moment you keep pressing F5 for more release info and that you realise you have a mental problem

That's when you know you are an armaholic.

• Like 4

At some point you'll hit F5 and there will be a download link  -_-

• Like 3

That's when you know you are an armaholic.

- "Hi there, people! My name is Peter and I'm 40. Obviously, I am an Armaholic and have been pressing F5 button for 13 years"

- Hey man!"  /choir/      :D

That picture drawn above is close to my heart. Change the name and the age and suddenly you realizes that it might be not so funny anymore ;)

• Like 4

Short movie from AFM testing. Sorry for the music in the background.

Hey, uhm, I don't know how to say this, what's the song's name :D

• Like 1

Hey, uhm, I don't know how to say this, what's the song's name :D

Uhm.... well.... don't know how to say it subtly, but... have you already made that damn climate module or you still waist your time watching shitty vids ? :D  

[reg music - no idea, that's music randomly played from YT, probably "Funky Disco House Mix"].

Uhm.... well.... don't know how to say it subtly, but... have you already made that damn climate module or you still waist your time watching shitty vids ? :D  

[reg music - no idea, that's music randomly played from YT, probably "Funky Disco House Mix"].

Right thanks, I sent an email about the climate stuff. I'm not feeling very well...

Will we get rolling take-offs?

What do you exactly mean by that?

Do you really need it?

Plane-like take offs are already in-built. Real impact and necessity of using of rolling take off will emerge when the climate module start working. Currently, it will be only needed when the heli is overloaded or taking off from LZ located at very high altitude since by default AFM takes into account cargo&fuel&crew weights and max service ceiling. When climate module will work, wind impact on a take-off heading or ambient temperature impact on engines performance will require often decreasing of payload, fuel or - indeed - rolling take-offs, provided that a heli is fully loaded with crew, fuel and passengers. However, whenever the heli starts like plane, it usually has to land the same method because there was a reason why it couldn't start vertically. The same reason will impact on landing, in most cases. Careful planning processes preceding a mission will be a crucial to, both efficiently and safely, use the helicopter in AFM.

• Like 1

Do you really need it?
Plane-like take offs are already in-built. Real impact and necessity of using of rolling take off will emerge when the climate module start working. Currently, it will be only needed when the heli is overloaded or taking off from LZ located at very high altitude since by default AFM takes into account cargo&fuel&crew weights and max service ceiling. When climate module will work, wind impact on a take-off heading or ambient temperature impact on engines performance will require often decreasing of payload, fuel or - indeed - rolling take-offs, provided that a heli is fully loaded with crew, fuel and passengers. However, whenever the heli starts like plane, it usually has to land the same method because there was a reason why it couldn't start vertically. The same reason will impact on landing, in most cases. Careful planning processes preceding a mission will be a crucial to, both efficiently and safely, use the helicopter in AFM.

Oh that's what he meant. Duh my bad.

Maybe just maybe that music is actually part of the engine sounds and we plan to keep it that way. Haha.

• Like 1

Maybe just maybe that music is actually part of the engine sounds and we plan to keep it that way. Haha.

hahaha

On the weather script what it's pretty much doing so far which I am satisfied of, at the beginning of the mission depending on a few different variables such as the terrain you are playing on, the season it is on your terrain, the time of the day, a temperature is picked at which then different values are added and subtracted depending on how the weather changes (rain, more wind, getting late, etc.). It's checked every so long so 1) it won't impact performance and 2) it would be pointless because I don't think anyone has ever made a mission for arma that 1 actual hour equals to 1 second, that would be retarded. For the wind now I have split it into compass bearings and basically check if the helo is heading towards the wind or away from it. The wind needs some more improvements obviously but it's not what I am focusing on at the moment. 

Interesting.  Looking forward to seeing it!

I guess the point I was trying to communicate is that anything using "waituntil" causes lag, which is an inescapable product of that command.  Usually not noticed in most missions, but on high use MP servers you get to see all the scripting issues slap you in the face :)

I'm not following your "1 second equals 1 hour" statement?