I guess HH-46D/E, a specialized SAR version, is called a "Pedro" with reference to SAR callsign they were flying with.

Thnx!

wow, nice.  Kind of brings back memories.  I was hopping from base to base in Iraq and our frogs flying in tandem took off in the middle of the night in blackout condition from Al Asad.  We were about 30 seconds in the air and I decided to try to catch a nap.  I didn't have my eyes closed for more than a few seconds when I saw bright, flashing lights through my eye lids.  I opened my eyes and looked out the back of the 46.  It was popping flares! :blink:   I grabbed my seat with one hand and held onto my M16 with the other expecting the worst, just waiting for the explosion.  But nothing happened.  After a minute or two I calmed down then took my nap.  About a year or two later after I got out I had a friend who was a reservist for the air wing told me they pop flares routinely when leaving a fob to test the launchers.

Anyways, you could make the interior reflection on the windows an enviro map for the material so it's not so odd looking.

• Like 4

It depends on how many of them will be created eventually, no idea tho at this stage of development. The plan is to have such possibility for the most important custom actions.

Please us CBA Keybinds if you do this way also or possibly add comp to ace 3 interaction menu.

Excellent work NightIntruder, I see this is the hotest helicopter topic due to a lot of development infos and news and I'am sure this should be a sign for other modmakers, please say us about your very hard work. Many thanks for your spent time for us!

• Like 1

Seen that bad boy fly a ton of times around Lejeune.  Wild and awesome bird.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm up on Cherry Point, seeing Pedro up and about was a common occurrence throughout the day.

I'm not going through 15 pages of posts, so if the following has been said before, apologies in advance..................................................

It would be very cool to recreate this scene...not sure if any systems could handle it but cool none the less...................

• Like 1

It would be very cool to recreate this scene...not sure if any systems could handle it but cool none the less...................

The problem is... we don't have LA 20nm wide and those alien ships addons  ;)  

BTW, after last DEV branch updates I cannot even open a mission with the Knight, the game crashes. Something must have changed config/materials wise on 11th or 12th  :unsure: Need to look into techreps...

• Like 4

I'm back in the game. The problem was probably caused by too many lights in the addon config but I decided to reverse the game from Dev Branch down to stable 1.58RC to avoid any further issues. Interiors NOHQ and SMDI maps have been added, as well as instrument backlighting. There's a small problem with the backlighting - during daytime instruments are OK, but during nightime the light is too bright and instruments are hardly visible. I guess it's caused by light setting in its rvmat but had a hard time to find good setting both for day and night times.

c1nDNe7.jpg

YOX5kYo.jpg

EDIT:  The problem solved, although the backlighting will be of one color only. I am looking for another way so that I would have changeable VIS/NVG comp backlighting. Adding additional instrument polys on top of existing ones and hide them is not an option, unfortunately. Changing rvmat triggered from config via actions menu doesn't work here, no idea why. Below, a screen with NOHQ / SMDI applied on interior however it looks somewhat too glossy under moonlight, I think.

L7bGmF3.jpg

LFyqbjD.jpg

tbyGfJm.jpg

zJhmcuR.jpg

• Like 11

Put in a A3 bug report on thr rvmat thing and see what they say.

While working on addon's lighting, I have faced a new problem. Positional lights been seen through fuselage. No clue why... Perhaps, I could saved DIFF texture of the fuselage with Alpha channel as 24-bit TGA and then converted to PAA. Another issue clearly visible on the second movie is that environmental lighting was switched off by game engine when landing lights were switched on. I guess it depends on some config values or the fact I copied and pasted LG light cones from A3 sample and multiplied it as the cabin, hoist, search and cockpit lights. Is there any workaround for this particular issue? Anyone?

• Like 2

I think that the issue with the environment lights is caused by the game engine ( i mean (or I think) that it doesn't handles so many lights in a small area.I think you have tested  the envir. lights near the control tower of Stratis where are placed some lights ). Try to see if in another area of the map ( without any lamps) the issue happens again.

It could be this type of issue but i'm not really sure.

Cheers

edit:  for the positional lights, the issue  i think , it could be hidden in the lods in oxigen (object builder) . Check all the visual lods for a mistake

I love those strobe lights! I was about to say the same thing as Drang

I think that the issue with the environment lights is caused by the game engine ( i mean (or I think) that it doesn't handles so many lights in a small area.I think you have tested  the envir. lights near the control tower where are placed some lights ). Try to see if in another area of the map ( without any lamps) the issue happens again.

It could be this type of issue but i'm not really sure.

Cheers

Was about to say the same thing

Now  I remember that in a game-session (in kamino)  , when I turned on the light of the helicopter , automatically the game engine turned off one or two lights around my helicopter . So resuming it could be a general game engine issue or a video settings issue . But i don't think is related to your video-settings ( as i saw you are not playing arma at low  settings)

Actually, I do play on lower settings but for preview purposes I use high settings :) Anyway, thanks a lot for hinting, gents!

Actually, I do play on lower settings but for preview purposes I use high settings :) Anyway, thanks a lot for hinting, gents!

You are welcome!.

It's a pleasure to help to get this baby in-game :) .

Also ...

tell me if the issue was caused by the engine ... so i'm going to remember it when i make my own vehicle/helicopter!

Cheers

This addwon will perfectly complete the USMC collection with CUP ^^

tell me if the issue was caused by the engine ... so i'm going to remember it when i make my own vehicle/helicopter!

Definitely, IT IS the game engine limitations, just checked. I am not surprised now as I have just realized that the addon have 16 positional lights (both VIS and NVG) as well as 10 reflectors! Obviously, way too much the engine could handle simultaneously.The sad thing is that hiding them doesn't help. They are counted like they were lighting all the time. Aggregating them will help a little, but either I need to reduce the amount considerably or leave the addon with that fallout. Not good...

Definitely, IT IS the game engine limitations, just checked. I am not surprised now as I have just realized that the addon have 16 positional lights (both VIS and NVG) as well as 10 reflectors! Obviously, way too much the engine could handle simultaneously.The sad thing is that hiding them doesn't help. They are counted like they were lighting all the time. Aggregating them will help a little, but either I need to reduce the amount considerably or leave the addon with that fallout. Not good...

*cries in a corner*

I really love how the lightning is right now, isn't there a possibility to somehow trick it without minimizing the reflectors or lights?

I was practically sure that it was an engine issue.  You can try to report the bug/issue to bohemia , but I think  it may take a lot of time to solve the bug and also this will slow the dev-process of the 46

The only tricks BIS can do by implementing new approach that doesn't count hidden lights (by "hide" animation) to the scene. The second trick would be a mechanism allowing for switching flashing positional lights (Markers) into either steady or NVG-compliant mode and vice versa since I assume those lights wouldn't be lightning in the same time, as it is in RL. Also efficient CargoLight within Air addons would be welcomed. 

I guess I will have to leave strobos as the main positional lights, remove NVG markers and doubled light sources as well as aggregate reflectors. Probably will have to remove cockpit dome light too. Will try to do least possible harm to the current lighting. If all of those won't help, I will revert the lighting to the current state hoping that BIS will improve that area soon.

EDIT: Just a short while ago, Peral got in touch with me and offered his help on the problem and lightning system, for which I am really thankful. We'll see what can be done to fix the issue.

• Like 1

The only tricks BIS can do by implementing new approach that doesn't count hidden lights (by "hide" animation) to the scene. The second trick would be a mechanism allowing for switching flashing positional lights (Markers) into either steady or NVG-compliant mode and vice versa since I assume those lights wouldn't be lightning in the same time, as it is in RL. Also efficient CargoLight within Air addons would be welcomed. 

I guess I will have to leave strobos as the main positional lights, remove NVG markers and doubled light sources as well as aggregate reflectors. Probably will have to remove cockpit dome light too. Will try to do least possible harm to the current lighting. If all of those won't help, I will revert the lighting to the current state hoping that BIS will improve that area soon.

EDIT: Just a short while ago, Peral got in touch with me and offered his help on the problem and lightning system, for which I am really thankful. We'll see what can be done to fix the issue.

Does this mean that the strobos will be removed completely or will they be implemented otherwise? Goodluck and many thanks for all your effort.