R3vo

RELEASE: Simple Conversation Script

This script is no longer officially supported by me, use this instead!

In all my singleplayer scenarios I always try to implement some sort of conversation between soldiers to create some atmosphere.
However, writing those scripts is quite boring, tedious and doesn't look nice.

Example:

s1 sideChat "Nice weather today!";
s1 setRandomLip true
sleep 2;
s1 setRandomLip false;
s2 sideChat "Nah, way too hot for me";
s2 setRandomLip true;
sleep 2;
s2 setRandomLip false;

That's a short example which only contains two! lines. Image how long this is if you have 10 lines!
In addition you would need to set the sleep properly for every line.

So I decided it's time to create some sort of function to streamline that process.
The following script will automatically calculate the time between lines, enable and disable randomLip and will overall shorten the process of writing conversations.

Example from above with function:

For scripts:
l1 = ["Nice weather today!",s1];
l2 = ["Nah, way too hot for me",s2];

[[l1,l2],1] spawn Revo_fnc_createConversation; 

For Triggers: 

l1 = ["Nice weather today!",s1];
l2 = ["Nah, way too hot for me",s2];

0 = [[l1,l2],1] spawn Revo_fnc_createConversation; 

Allthough I tried to catch every possible mistake one can make (Basically I did tons of mistakes, so I needed to catch some of those erros :D), it can still happen that some combinations of chat types and speaker types produce an error.

Features:

• character lip movement
  • various chat types are supported:
    • - cutText
      - sideChat
      - groupChat
      - globalChat
      - vehicleChat
      - commandChat
      - systemChat
      - 3D text above speaker
  • easy to use
  • automatic calculation of time between dialogue lines

I hope you can find some use for it, if not, well I sure have some use for it! ;)

This script can be used everywhere by everyone, put me into the credits if you like, if you don't, that's alright too!

If you have suggestions, feedback, or critique, feel free to leave a comment. I currently have no more plans for it(except fixing potential bugs), but maybe you can come up with something.

Download:

Armaholic

Hiya mate,

You say you use it in SP, could it be used in MP?

Currently it's SP only, if more people are interested in a multiplayer version, then I'll see what I can do.

• Like 1

Currently it's SP only, if more people are interested in a multiplayer version, then I'll see what I can do.

Well..I'm interested! This could be fun to implement in a story driven COOP mission, where you could  "interrogate" civis for INTEL regarding targets whereabouts and what not...

Anyway..good job and thank you,man.

You're missing a colon after the "http" in your Armaholic link:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=30130

Thanks for the info, not clue how that happened, since the forums automatically adds the http:// thing

You have to do a MP version, so many possibilities!

I feared as much ;) I'll look into it, but I can't promise anything.

Thanks for sending us your work :)

Release frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

Simple Conversation Script v1.0

** Armaholic now supports authors with donation button/links. When you have any donation/support links please contact me!

Thanks ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for this, very handy in-deed.  I'm sure others would find this helpful as well, but can there be an option to add a radio sound and/or soundfx between chats?  I'm sure it can be easily modified by the mission maker as well...  Just a suggestion if you wanted to further expand it  :)

Thanks for this, very handy in-deed.  I'm sure others would find this helpful as well, but can there be an option to add a radio sound and/or soundfx between chats?  I'm sure it can be easily modified by the mission maker as well...  Just a suggestion if you wanted to further expand it  :)

Sounds like a great idea, but just to clarify. You want to be able to add some sort of a radio transmission sound between each line?

Sounds like a great idea, but just to clarify. You want to be able to add some sort of a radio transmission sound between each line?

Correct.  I can attach an example later if you need one.  Not sure if Arma has one built in?  probably does...

Update 1.2

Changelog:

- Script now uses CfgFunctions, and therefore can be spawned (makes creating conversation even more easier)

- Function now supports sounds for each line.

- Function will now wait until other conversations are done

- Added debug parameter

- Improved debug messages (If no speaker was given, the actual line which misses the speaker is shown)

- Some other tweaks

Download (Same as in the first post)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uowm644uahh72vt/Simple%20Conversation%20Script.zip?dl=0

As always, if you have suggestions or find bugs, let me know.

• Like 1

Very cool script!!!

Sorry for the noob question...how do I use this with a trigger? What I want to do is that if player get near a specific civi, a conversation start.

Thanks.

If you installed it correctly you can simply spawn it by putting the following into the on activation field of the trigger.

l1 = ["Nice weather today!",s1]; //s2 is the speaker of line 1
l2 = ["Nah, way too hot for me",s2]; //s2 is the speaker of line 2

• Like 1

If you installed it correctly you can simply spawn it by putting the following into the on activation field of the trigger.

l1 = ["Nice weather today!",s1]; //s2 is the speaker of line 1
l2 = ["Nah, way too hot for me",s2]; //s2 is the speaker of line 2

Very easy !!! Thank you!

Very easy !!! Thank you!

Spoke too soon..

Putting that on a on-act of a trigger will say "type script: exspected nothing" ???   :huh:

you need to type

0 =[] spawn ...

• Like 1

This is fantastic. I wanted to use it for cutscenes, but the text does not show, seems to have something to do with the camcreation and the HUD. Do you know a workaround to make this work? Thanks in advance!

Okay, Cuttext works no problem. But somehow my sounds are not played by the character? I even defined them in the desciption.ext.

Can't really tell you what's the problem without more details.

Problem is that the person who speaks the dialog in textform has no sound. I definded it in the description.ext and it shows up as sound in triggers, playing the sound via trigger also works. 

calling the script via trigger:

0 = [[l1,l2],0] spawn Revo_fnc_createConversation;

l1 = ["Nice weather today wonder if we get some fishes today!",s1,["sounds/t1"]];

but no audio.

Looks alright from my side. Did you try out a vanilla sound? Like 'alarm' ?