MANTIA

Oculus Rift & Arma 3?

The vive is complete garbage, I returned mine. They need 16k in each eye to make it worth the money. The awful resolution is only good on games with very very simple graphics.

My Rift is just wonderful - ATW and ASW are just brilliant advances (sorry Vive users!).  You don't need 16k graphics to make something convincing.  Obviously you aren't an early adopter .. that is fine. 

Now instead of polluting the topic more, it looks like you are done here.

• Like 3

The vive is complete garbage, I returned mine. They need 16k in each eye to make it worth the money. The awful resolution is only good on games with very very simple graphics.

That's strange. Many flight simers and drivers don't share your exact concerns.

In fact, for most, the main issue with VR right now seems to be with lack of killer application.

(although Onward seems to be a step in the right direction).

So SW not HW seems to be VR's main problem right now.

• Like 1

I wonder how ArmA 3 would render in VR.

As it wasn't made for VR at the beginning, does it really work well?

Come on BIS give us VR capabilities 111ELEVEN!!!

VR already works with Arma3, you just need VorpX to get it into stereoscopic view and on the HMD. And if you have a look here you mind find the video I posted with my first experiments of roomscale VR with A3 (and it works).

• Like 1

Yes indeed .. but the VBS video didn't look like VorpX ... it looked NATIVE !!

Haven't they been doing this kind of stuff in VBS for years?

The military has different needs than the consumer market. I really wouldn't expect to see official VR support in Arma until or unless BIS is confident that they can get every aspect of the game to work the way they want it to in VR.

VR already works with Arma3, you just need VorpX to get it into stereoscopic view and on the HMD. And if you have a look here you mind find the video I posted with my first experiments of roomscale VR with A3 (and it works).

It works badly with vorpex. Play any game with native VR support and you'll understand just how poor Arma is in VR. 

It works badly with vorpex. Play any game with native VR support and you'll understand just how poor Arma is in VR. 

It works pretty well when you spend some time configuring it, the only problem are the controls (A3 assumes trackir like headtracking) but I might found a solution for this. VorpX works splendid for just bringing the image onto the HMD

• Like 1

The commenter on that video had a point. What was that sorcery? 

The commenter on that video had a point. What was that sorcery? 

A realtime link between the OpenVR driver (aka SteamVR) and Arma3.

Controllers, basestation and other devices are no problem aswell and the connection seems fast enough.

The advantage (and maybe the main drawback) is that I get raw data into SQF. That means I can overcome all problems with VR and A3's build in head tracking (e.g. fisheye effect at the border of the HMD) by using a scripted camera. One of the drawbacks is that you can control a (native) unit with it anymore, as the input needs to be scripted. But I have some pretty good ideas what I can do with this tech.

On another note I investigated developing a custom controller for SteamVR and the lighthouse tracking, something that reproduces the haptics of a rifle or something. It seems perfectly possible with the OpenVR tech but unfortunatly access to the dev-kit and documentation of the electronics is bound to a 3000$ seminar in Seattle :(

• Like 1

It works pretty well when you spend some time configuring it, the only problem are the controls (A3 assumes trackir like headtracking) but I might found a solution for this. VorpX works splendid for just bringing the image onto the HMD

I spent many hours trying to get it to work and all I ended up with was a crashfest where the scale was way off (too big) and no positional tracking. Vorpx/Arma is bad VR.I want Arma VR to be good not piss poor and reliant on Vorpx like it is now. 

While I agree with you bigduksixx that VorpX is not the ideal solution, it owuld be nice for BIS to acknowledge VR and show us the way (if they know how) to get it to work much better.

• Like 1

Hmmm. i've jsut seen that VBS3 uses Oculus Rift but ARMA3 not and i would guess they uses the same engine. I cannot understand why Arma 3 will not support it... no words. Create a payed DLC and i would buy it and some more i guess.

I'm not a really good c++ programmer but may be it's possible to create an own VR implementation for arma?

Hmmm. i've jsut seen that VBS3 uses Oculus Rift but ARMA3 not and i would guess they uses the same engine. I cannot understand why Arma 3 will not support it... no words. Create a payed DLC and i would buy it and some more i guess.

VBS and ARMA do not only have different developers but also use different engines/iterrations of the same engine. So this would be cross-company and cross-engine feature implementation. Along this line of thinking you could also demand that Spintires has deformable terrain so it should be no problem to implement this feature in Frontiers' Elite Dangerous (I am exaggerating of course).

They are not the same engines. A new VBS version is sometimes branched of the RV engine (Armas engine) but after that heavily modified and ultimately becoming more of a completly different engine. There are still contact points but none that make new features developed for both interchangeable. Also keep in mind that VBS developers not have gameplay and performance as their first goal.

I'm not a really good c++ programmer but may be it's possible to create an own VR implementation for arma?

I am not a good programmer aswell but I made this yesterday:

• Like 6

Wow nice work Neo! How does it to actually be in zagrabad? :O Do you thinks this is something that would be working for multiplayer (framedrops, ect.) ?

Wow nice work Neo! How does it to actually be in zagrabad? :o Do you thinks this is something that would be working for multiplayer (framedrops, ect.) ?

Great stuff!

Can you tell us more about your plans?

Of course.

The control scripts are not very resource consuming. What is indeed an impact on the framerate is the program that makes A3 stereoscopic. My addon is designed such that you can use any program here: VorpX, Reshade, etc It works independent from the visual solution and that makes stuff like mouse emulation and trackir emulation unnecessary.

Obviously this kind of stuff can not be used as a drop-in replacement for ArmA3 movement. You need missions and mods designed for roomscale gameplay. For example you only have your 2x2m to move around freely, for bigger distances as you need in most missions you need teleport features as seen in many Vive games.

I am working one a set of very different showcase missions, from shooting ranges to editor addons but yet I don't know what will work and what not. But I am sure the possibilities of roomscale VR in Arma outnumber the limitations. Oh and as I am using OpenVR all you of this should work with the Rift and the upcoming Oculus Touch out of the box.

When things are a little bit more elaborated I will make a dedicated announcement thread with much more infos. But I will continue to post about my progress. Hopefully Soonâ„¢ with real gameplay.

By the way I named the project A3VR.

• Like 7

Hi,

have you ever played the game "Onward"? It is like Counter Strike for VR and the movement system is good and fully usable for Arma3. Check out some Videos if you like to.

I'm using a tool for my flight simulator called "Flysinide-FSX". Usually the Microsoft Flight Simulator runs with lower FPS than 90 (mostly 30-40) and the creator of this tool implements an own version of Async Timewarp for the Vive and also implemnts VR-SLI which makes the VR feeling very smooth. May  be its possible for you to contact him? May be he will give you some info how it works?

Greetings

Screw Onward ... we want Arma3 in VR :)

NeoArmageddon, this is brilliant mate.

Regarding the ATW, ASW stuff that Rift has .... SteamVR has just brought out their own version of ATW which will help.  However a NATIVE application that runs Arma3 (without VorpX) would be the best solution.

• Like 1

Yesterdays update added native support of what Oculus calls Async Time Warp to OpenVR as far as I know.

Edit: kremator was faster^^. But yes, I plan to invedtigate native solutions aawell.

P.S. Is there a demand for a Arma3 VR discord channel? IF yes, I will setup one.

Screw Onward ... we want Arma3 in VR :)

​

That's why I'm posting here :-)

Yesterdays update added native support of what Oculus calls Async Time Warp to OpenVR as far as I know.

Edit: kremator was faster^^. But yes, I plan to invedtigate native solutions aawell.

P.S. Is there a demand for a Arma3 VR discord channel? IF yes, I will setup one.

with pleasue...

• Like 1