MANTIA

Oculus Rift & Arma 3?

Vive does not have ATW! Only Oculus has that technology I'm afraid.

Yes, you are right, but the creator of the FlyInside FSX create this own async timewarp method for Vive and it's working very well.

Hi,

Can anyone provide a link to an up to date and working set up guide to get ARMA 3 to run with the CV1?  Or tell me which post number on this topic has a link to one?

And i mean a complete idiots guide that leaves nothing out or assumed knowlege etc?  I know nothing about Opentrack, LIB0VR etc and only got my Rift 2 days ago?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Can anyone provide a link to an up to date and working set up guide to get ARMA 3 to run with the CV1?  Or tell me which post number on this topic has a link to one?

And i mean a complete idiots guide that leaves nothing out or assumed knowlege etc?  I know nothing about Opentrack, LIB0VR etc and only got my Rift 2 days ago?

Many thanks.

Towards the end of the second page you will find all you need

Thanks very much. I have tried to get it working a month or so ago, but had just a black screen while it seemed to be playing without graphics.

I'll follow the guide on p2 and see if I can get it going - would be fandabidosi.

So far I've not been able to get a single game working with VorpX, but have Doom3, Quake etc working in the Rift.

Hi all. 

Me and my mate tried for the whole of yesterday to get this working on our CV1's  and the result was just a crashfest even with battleye turned off. Truly the most frustrating gaming experience in recent times for me as we seemed so close to getting it stable. FPS were generally under 90 but there was no judder thanks to time warp. 

It's a bit sad that the developers haven't embraced VR for Arma3. I'm thinking of getting a refund through steam, getting a Vive and a copy of Onward. In Onward you can throw a clip to your buddy but in Arma3 I couldn't even take my mate's medikit out of his pack and treat him.  Arma3 is just a mouse clicky, keyboard bashy user interface mess without native support for VR and touch devices and will be rejected by the hardcore simmers over the coming years unless this gets addressed. 

Just my opinion.

• Like 2

For those with CV1 and Nvidia cards AND can get Arma running in VR:

The new Asynchronous Space Warp patch supposedly is a marvel for games that can't maintain 90fps. 

From what I can gather, if you can manage to maintain a solid 45fps then the software can use magic and/or voodoo to output at 90 fps. 

Reports are coming in that games that normally were prone to stutter (project cars for example) now run near flawlessly. 

Anyone able to try this out in Arma?

Maybe this is old news but bumped in to this tutorial....

/KC

• Like 1

Did anyone test with Asynchronous SpaceWarp (ASW) yet?

ASW is something else and very new. Seems you need to do some reading mate. :)

• Like 1

ASW is something else and very new. Seems you need to do some reading mate. :)

Haha yes my mistake, sorry about that. Sounds like I do need to do some reading! And do my reading a little bit better it seems. Cheers for the heads up. 

• Like 1

ASW is very good indeed.  Can run games like Chronos on full quality without ANY judder!  Awesome.

• Like 1

VR remains a tiny and a stagnant market:

http://www.techspot.com/news/66643-oculus-cto-virtual-reality-coasting-novelty.html

and I suspect that BI have bigger issues right now (finishing A3 & starting A4).

The link you posted is Carmack exclusivly talking about Gear VR and phone based VR.

Also a lot of magazines are very quick with saying "VR is already dead again".

Facts are:

• There are a lot of really good games in the pipeline that will release soon and some already have demos available. Games like Onward, Audioshield, Budget Cuts, The Climb, etc are awesome.
  • Oculus Touch will release soon and will put it somewhat near the Vive experience. That enables game developers to do stuff you can't with normal PC gaming.
  • A big publisher is working on three very promising VR titles (despite I don't like that publisher, the games look great).
  • Playstation VR is comming out today and it is already sold out at most places -> This will definitly boost the acceptance of VR for a lot of publishers. This will most likely result in a lot of "PS4 -> PC ports" but will also make more people want to buy PC VR headsets as the pool of games increases.
  • I own a Vive since a week and work on some Arma stuff with it ;)

And regarding BI: I don't think A4 is somewhere near. The roadmap that will get posted for the next year will probably include more refinement to A3 itself, maybe with some tech exchange with Enfusion engine.

• Like 1

I guess BI is not doing anything right now because they are working on more important stuff, like vehicle AI as one big important example. If they start implementing this now they are potentially opening up a new can of worms on top of the other areas they need to work on. Meanwhile the VR tech will get more stable. So I hope they one day take that step as I will buy a set that same day for sure!

Meanwhile the VR tech will get more stable

Wut now ?  The VR tech IS stable and very, very capable.  There is a wealth of games out there already for both Rift and Vive.  On the 6th of December is when Touch is released .. THAT day will be amazing. 

Wut now ?  The VR tech IS stable and very, very capable.  There is a wealth of games out there already for both Rift and Vive.  On the 6th of December is when Touch is released .. THAT day will be amazing. 

As I understand it there are many different solutions and systems though. At this point it's bad for software developers to have many different VR systems. Stable VR = a system that is used by the majority of people and in wide circulation. Right now, VR is also too expensive to appear to the casual market (yet).

Some VR solutions will die out, just like the HD DVD did and Blu-Ray survived. When that time comes, it will make everything easier.

There's the Rift and the Vive, and not an enormous amount to separate them in terms of game development, especially if you develop for SteamVR. All the rest are more for watching weird anime erotica than playing actual PC games. 

There's the Rift and the Vive, and not an enormous amount to separate them in terms of game development, especially if you develop for SteamVR.

It is also dead simple: Downloaded OpenVR repo from github, compiled, 5 min of coding: Had my own Vive and Rift compatible demo.

What I ment was more towards what icewindo wrote. The market. And I do not think they are waiting for it or should be waiting for it, but as they probably can't put the effort into it now that is atleast something positive.

But yes I guess you are right, the VR is as mature and stable as the game and I'm sure if BI did put in some effort into it they could really showcase the new tech as this game could be really good for it.

• Like 1

VR resolution is awful, I would not recommend it.

That comment is just laughable. Alright then, let's see how it works the other way:  Arma is hopeless in 2d on monitors, the immersion is nonexistent and I would not recommend it. 

• Like 3

That comment is just laughable. Alright then, let's see how it works the other way:  Arma is hopeless in 2d on monitors, the immersion is nonexistent and I would not recommend it. 

If you read his other comments, you'd understand where he's coming from...

• Like 1