MANTIA

Oculus Rift & Arma 3?

I will, as soon UPS decides to not reschedule my delivery day... Should be here tomorrow... -_-

Received my rift finally yesterday.

Damn, Rift games are working well and DCS is just freaking awesome.

I still have some issues with Arma. Headtracking is not as perfect as I would like it to be and I really have some issues with the resolution. DCS looks way more clearer.

Any tipps? Did you use the same 13.5cm for Rx Distance in Opentrack 2.3?

In DCS and other RIFT games you can adjust your Pixel Density. How would you do this in Arma. Just use a higher resolution than 2160x1200 or do I need to work with a higher Sampling % in the video settings?

Thanks.

• Like 1

I think Tanoa is going to be the best Rift map experience :)

Just a feeling. All that dense close jungle.

Received my rift finally yesterday.

Damn, Rift games are working well and DCS is just freaking awesome.

I still have some issues with Arma. Headtracking is not as perfect as I would like it to be and I really have some issues with the resolution. DCS looks way more clearer.

Any tipps? Did you use the same 13.5cm for Rx Distance in Opentrack 2.3?

In DCS and other RIFT games you can adjust your Pixel Density. How would you do this in Arma. Just use a higher resolution than 2160x1200 or do I need to work with a higher Sampling % in the video settings?

Thanks.

Weird as it sounds, maybe disable FSAA - for some reason that really improved clarity for me. Also, you could use the Oculus Debug Tool in the Oculus SDK and select 2 in the "Pixels Per Display Pixel Override setting. You have to keep it open while you're playing the game. This does the same thing as the pixel density slider in DCS. 

As for headtracking, what's wrong with it? You can change the settings in your Opentrack profile to help get the right feel. 

Hope this helps! 

Thanks for the tips. Didnt have to much time yet to test everything. Any help is appreciated.

What kind of resolution have you set inside Arma? Good to know the SDK is working with the VorpX Enabled games also.

The headtracking is just a bit wierd on the rotations and not perfectly 1:1. But as you mentioned something I need to tweak a bit.

Wont be able to use this for any mission, but probably cool for fun flyarrounds.

Thanks.

Weird as it sounds, maybe disable FSAA - for some reason that really improved clarity for me. Also, you could use the Oculus Debug Tool in the Oculus SDK and select 2 in the "Pixels Per Display Pixel Override setting. You have to keep it open while you're playing the game. This does the same thing as the pixel density slider in DCS. 

As for headtracking, what's wrong with it? You can change the settings in your Opentrack profile to help get the right feel. 

Hope this helps! 

Hey mate, Ive been reading a little about how to set it up, but if you could throw a link to an updated version of the tutorial on how to set Oculus up in Arma 3 I would greatly appreciate it

I am off to get Vorpx as I know I will need that program, but you just seem to have hit the spot where it works

Cheers mate

• Like 1

Hi, i'll give it up. For me it's not really possible to play ARMA with Vorpx on my Vive. ITs not looking really good.

Because of no response of any dev/manager in the question of HMD support i'll guess there will never be VR support on Arma 3.......

I wil take a look to ONWARD, i've heard is is like arma only in vr..... hopefully...

That is a shame about Vorpx, however I've had a look at Onward and it is a little crap. 

Yesterday I watched two Polish gaming website guys playing Onward and their "after action" impressions. The game is very rough and simplistic as for status quo, but nevertheless they, experience gamers after all, was under big impression, excited and "wow". IMO it shows the power of VR - how little is needed to immerse player (at least today players) completely with jaw drop included. The video material title was like "Hard to go back to Arma after such experience". Then I thought - it would be hard for Arma/BI, do not go also in this direction.

There are things, that will be never possible in classical game, like full body movement/gestures capture. You can in natural way actually communicate with other players using gestures. A new level of communication. Same, natural gestures and movements, are used for throwing grenades, reloading, aiming etc. 

Yesterday I watched two Polish gaming website guys playing Onward and their "after action" impressions. The game is very rough and simplistic as for status quo, but nevertheless they, experience gamers after all, was under big impression, excited and "wow". IMO it shows the power of VR - how little is needed to immerse player (at least today players) completely with jaw drop included. The video material title was like "Hard to go back to Arma after such experience". Then I thought - it would be hard for Arma/BI, do not go also in this direction.

There are things, that will be never possible in classical game, like full body movement/gestures capture. You can in natural way actually communicate with other players using gestures. A new level of communication. Same, natural gestures and movements, are used for throwing grenades, reloading, aiming etc. 

I quite agree. I've been watching the progress of Onward with interest over the past 6 weeks. I couldn't help wondering how much of Arma could be imported into Onwards and vice-versa. I wonder how resource intensive Onwards is right now and how much scope there is for optimisation. Afterall Onwards has been developed by a tiny team.

While I really want to try Arma 3 on my Vive I suspect it will never be able to deliver 90 fps at HMD resolutions in even the simplest scenarios with dual eye rendering, so adding support is kind of pointless as it will never be playable on a HMD. Whether BI see the value in making it possible for VR gaming to occur at least in cockpit mode for future games remains to be seen, it will vastly improve the perception of reality and provide mechanism and controls we don't have but its also a fundamentally different game completely.

While I really want to try Arma 3 on my Vive I suspect it will never be able to deliver 90 fps at HMD resolutions in even the simplest scenarios with dual eye rendering, so adding support is kind of pointless as it will never be playable on a HMD. Whether BI see the value in making it possible for VR gaming to occur at least in cockpit mode for future games remains to be seen, it will vastly improve the perception of reality and provide mechanism and controls we don't have but its also a fundamentally different game completely.

This isn't true. Arma 3 more than delivers with async timewarp on the Rift (I gather the Vive has something similar). The issue has nothing to do with performance, more stability and image clarity. Those are the only things stopping Vorpx being a completely workable solution for Arma as it stands right now. 

I keep seeing this myth crop up every now and again and I really want it to go away because it just puts the devs off making a few tweaks to make Arma stable in Vorpx. I've spent hours playing Arma in the rift but the constant crashes and (to a much lesser extent) lack of stable AA made me stop. The immersion is phenomenal though. 

Seriously, right now for Arma to be one of the best VR FPS games out there, we just need:

- Better image clarity (geometry 3D ideally, but VR-compatible anti aliasing would do)

- Crash fixes

All this talk of "Arma has really bad performance, it will never work in VR" is an unhelpful load of bollocks. 

• Like 5

Arma would have been cool, but BIS prefer to implement a TobiEye Support, because of a sponsored youtube hype by the manufacturer,  than just to accept Oculus Rift Tracker inputs...

The workarround with OpenTrackis just another taped together solution. Another buggy DLL which leads to more instability, crashes, hassle.

I decided to get rid of my RIFT. DCS; ED are WOW in VR, but i still prefer my Ultra Wide Screen when the 5 min flash wears off.

I will look again into VR when I can actually read an instrument in any of those games.

I've bought ONWARD and it's a really great game. Shurely it's in alpha state and there are many bugs but it's playable and brings a lot of fun. It's not an ARMA, more a Counter Strike but it shows me what ARMA could be.

• Like 2

Arma would have been cool, but BIS prefer to implement a TobiEye Support, because of a sponsored youtube hype by the manufacturer,  than just to accept Oculus Rift Tracker inputs...

The workarround with OpenTrackis just another taped together solution. Another buggy DLL which leads to more instability, crashes, hassle.

But one thing doesn't exclude the other. BIS have been very silent on VR support but lets wait and see what they reveal int the upcoming road map for 2016-2017 I'm sure they recognice the potential in VR. I mean it's truly the next thing - fingers crossed we will see it in A3 someday.

Agree with Incontinentia that the "90 FPS is a must"  for VR is bollocks. I have 45-60 FPS when playing on our ded. server and I'm sure that would be OK for VR. Of course higher is better...

@Mark: It's most likely due to Battleye anti cheat are enabled on the server, try a none BE protected one and see if you can get in. I suggest you contact BE devs and ask them to white list the programs needed by the Rift/Vive.

/KC

• Like 1

However, ATW is not a silver bullet. Failing to maintain a consistent, full frame rate may produce visible artifacts including noticeable positional judder, particularly in the near field of view. An application that falls below 90fps rendering will get re-warped in time to avoid rotational judder, but while orientation latency is kept low and smooth, animation and player movement may judder in lock-step with missed frames. For these reasons we continue to recommend that developers do not rely on ATW to save them from low frame rate.

https://developer3.oculus.com/blog/asynchronous-timewarp-on-oculus-rift/

Um yeah...

See below (or above). 

I have 45-60 FPS when playing on our ded. server and I'm sure that would be OK for VR. Of course higher is better...

Yet again, the myth refuses to die. 

As Keycat said, higher performance is better. In an ideal world, asynch timewarp wouldn't be needed at all. But for me (and I suspect many others who have tried Arma in VR with decent hardware), it is actually quite difficult to tell the difference between 'perfect VR' at 90 fps and 'make do' VR at 45 - 60 fps. I actually notice the judder less than I do on my monitor. FSX / Prepar3d aren't known for their high FPS counts (they are likely worse than Arma by some way), but they manage VR support absolutely fine. In fact, they have incredible VR support. 

So, like I keep saying, before trying to put devs / other users off the idea, try Arma in VR. If the judder makes you sick where other games don't and you have reasonable settings and a powerful machine, fair enough. But until then, I'd sooner defer to the experiences of those who have actually tried it than a developer blog which was written before VR was formally launched and has a strong incentive to make sure other developers don't produce poorly optimised content on a fledgling platform. 

Seriously, this myth needs to die. Then I can finally put the tissues away in favour of clear, stable Arma 3 in VR. Or, you know, stop doing whatever it is I do in my Rift otherwise. Elite Dangerous and stuff obviously. Such an emotional game...

• Like 1

Hey mate, Ive been reading a little about how to set it up, but if you could throw a link to an updated version of the tutorial on how to set Oculus up in Arma 3 I would greatly appreciate it

I am off to get Vorpx as I know I will need that program, but you just seem to have hit the spot where it works

Cheers mate

Hi dude, sorry I didn't reply to this sooner! Unfortunately the best description is still the one from earlier on in the thread (my comment a couple of months back - sorry, the forums are really slow today). That's as far as I got before all the crashes started to get to me. I'd write a new one but I don't have my rift set up right now so I don't want to get it wrong. PM me if you need some more details!

I'm playing MS Flight Simulator with my vive and sometime there are only 30FPS (depending on addons and scenery) and with Async Timewarp there are no stuttering. Everything is really smooth. So it's possible ....

Vive does not have ATW! Only Oculus has that technology I'm afraid.

I've got a new PC on order (GTX1080) and looking at supersampling the shit of our all my games. It is just a shame that Arma3 doesn't have native VR but we all know how demanding it is, even on the most powerful machines. I would LOVE to be able to use my Rift with Arma3.

In all torn as to whether to get Vorpx as it doesn't seem that stable /useful as yet.

This isn't true. Arma 3 more than delivers with async timewarp on the Rift (I gather the Vive has something similar). The issue has nothing to do with performance, more stability and image clarity. Those are the only things stopping Vorpx being a completely workable solution for Arma as it stands right now. 

I keep seeing this myth crop up every now and again and I really want it to go away because it just puts the devs off making a few tweaks to make Arma stable in Vorpx. I've spent hours playing Arma in the rift but the constant crashes and (to a much lesser extent) lack of stable AA made me stop. The immersion is phenomenal though. 

Seriously, right now for Arma to be one of the best VR FPS games out there, we just need:

- Better image clarity (geometry 3D ideally, but VR-compatible anti aliasing would do)

- Crash fixes

All this talk of "Arma has really bad performance, it will never work in VR" is an unhelpful load of bollocks. 

As Incontinentia  says ARMA runs fine in VR at FPS lower than 90...

For me the trouble is that the lowered resolution seems to affect ARMA much more than other games i have "hacked" with Vorp X.

For some reason ARMA seems to suffer from a lack of graphical fidelity much more so than other games.

I cant put my finger on what it is, but its certainly not the lower FPS.

As Incontinentia  says ARMA runs fine in VR at FPS lower than 90...

For me the trouble is that the lowered resolution seems to affect ARMA much more than other games i have "hacked" with Vorp X.

For some reason ARMA seems to suffer from a lack of graphical fidelity much more so than other games.

I cant put my finger on what it is, but its certainly not the lower FPS.

What forces you to run at "lowered resolution" ? The resolution of your HMD? Low performance? VorpX? Or other limitation?

Well i thought it was the resolution of the HMD but it seems that each eye does in fact render at 1080x1200.

I think the problem is that there is no Anti Aliasing when using the Rift causing the image to have jaggy edges which

is amplified by the fact that the screens are so close to your eyes that the pixels are more noticeable (a lot like running in a lower resolution).