MANTIA

Oculus Rift & Arma 3?

Hi, i have some trouble with the head tracking. VorpX will move my mouse on moving my head and ingame (e.g. in an car) the head movement will turn the car. I've checked every option many times. On VorpX Menu mosue acceleration is off. But the head movement will still moves the mouse, tool. Any solution for this?

Thanks forward

Does it move your mouse even in main menu, editor or even in the desktop? If not then you might want to look every Arma 3 control settings again.

This is pretty hard to believe. I've never seen anyone suggest that 30 FPS would be remotely acceptable in VR, with or without timewarp.

Been playing DCS with rift for a month, with FPS range 20-75, mostly 20-30, and FSX, the indicated FPS is always around 20,

for me, 20+ is acceptable, 30+ is pretty much comfortable gaming expreience. never tried A3 though.

my build is 4790k + 970

Does it move your mouse even in main menu, editor or even in the desktop? If not then you might want to look every Arma 3 control settings again.

Hi, its on Main Menu, in Editor and when I'm sitting in a car the soldier moves the steering wheel a little bit.

Hi, its on Main Menu, in Editor and when I'm sitting in a car the soldier moves the steering wheel a little bit.

Well then it's issue in VorpX or VorpX-Arma compatibility.

If you don't use mouse to turn the wheel then you can enable freelook in vehicles from gameplay options or just disable mouse steering from the controls. That's some workaround if that's the only big issue.

But shouldn't the biggest issue be that your aim moves and not just head when you're infantry or gunner? Or that's not even happening?

Anyone tried A3 with CV1? I'm interested given the increase in resolution. This hopefully translates into better target identification and text legibility but also lower performance 2160x1200 is a lot of pixels (<1440p).

I think the next step for a great future of vr is to mod existing shooters for free aiming like "bullet train" or for example HL2. Please imagine, arma3 with free aiming!

• Like 1

Anyone knows the FOV for OR CV1 vs Vive?

/KC

I have a few questions:

1. How was arma 3 with the oculus?

2. Was it very immersive?

3. Have you played DCS?

4. How is it playing arma 3 in milsim units with the oculus rift?

5. Do you feel like you are ingame? is it scary getting shot at?

I think the next step for a great future of vr is to mod existing shooters for free aiming like "bullet train" or for example HL2. Please imagine, arma3 with free aiming!

There is already something like "free aiming" in ARMA 3 and it is called: "Aiming Deadzone" (configure -> game -> general).

You are able to move your weapon independently from your center of your view direction a little bit but you are limited to the border of your field of view. If you have reached the border of your field of view, you start to change the angle of your view direction.

If we may some day have a native support for Virtual Reality head mounted displays (Oculus Rift CV1 with Oculus Touch or the HTC Vive with Motion Controller) in ARMA 3 we need a few things:

1. a wider field of view (e.g. 90-120 degrees) in Arma 3 - now we have 70 degrees

2. a better resolution for the VR HMD (width of 1080 and height of 1200 per eye is too low -> pixel hunting) - most of the players are using 1920x1080 and higher on their monitor displays

3. a powerful GPU - because there are resolutions with 1080x1200 per eye (Oculus/HTC: 2160x1200) for now

4. a miracle for higher and at least stable frames per second (90+) - or you will end up puking on your desk

• Like 1

Just to say, my experience is with DK2, using OpenTrack for head tracking and VorpX. Custom FOV set to around 125 degrees and most other settings as per the guide earlier in this thread. I've played DCS and haven't played with any milsim units as when I had a DK2, BattleEye stopped Vorpx working so it was single player only. This may have been fixed. 

The resolution and clarity of the DK2 was awful to be honest but this is apparently fixed in CV1. Even so, with Arma's zoom function in the DK2, it was playable. It just meant that longer range engagements required a lot more ammunition! Another issue was FOV. Even at a custom realistic FOV, it wasn't as wide as I have on a monitor so it decreased situational awareness slightly, but looking around and being in the game more than makes up for this. My game kept crashing but I suspect that's something unique to my system. Also, the 3D can be a bit finicky. Playing with Vorpx settings generally gets it looking good across most maps. Finally, controls can be a pain in the arse and you have to zoom out to see the HUD, but this isn't too much of an issue and can make things more immersive anyway as you have to rely on your own situational awareness more than in game pointers. If you know your way around your keyboard, this helps. Plus things like stance are more obvious in the rift and with 3D virtual surround, it will be more obvious where your teammates are. 

So that's the bad stuff. Now the good. First off, FPS isn't anywhere near as much an issue as you'd expect. If you can get 35 FPS and your system is CPU-bottlenecked (as most are with Arma) then you'll be absolutely fine. Asynchronous timewarp really does make an enormous difference and fills in the gaps in frames. With the CV1, clarity should be a lot better and so spotting targets should be improved a lot. Motion sickness is mitigated massively by having a head that moves independently of the body / gun. This makes it (for me) the most comfortable rift experience of any first person, non-cockpit based game. With that comfort comes a level of immersion that destroys any other first person rift game I've tried. It's absolutely awesome!! Using JSRS, when a round goes by your head you instinctively get down and into cover. You feel like you are in the battle. Your aiming might be worse and the fog of war might descend but it's a completely different thing to playing on a monitor and far more akin to real life. The minutes I got on the rift in Arma (before it crashed!) were among the most impressive and enjoyable I've had in any game. Getting shot at is exhilarating, shooting is fun, looking around at your teammates is damn cool... don't even get me started on using aircraft. You can really get lost in it once you get used to handling your controls without seeing them (you can use voice attack I think if this is too difficult) and you even start reacting instinctively to threats. 

So, to summarise, there's a few niggly issues but Arma in the rift is absolutely incredible. 

• Like 3

There is already something like "free aiming" in ARMA 3 and it is called: "Aiming Deadzone" (configure -> game -> general).

You are able to move your weapon independently from your center of your view direction a little bit but you are limited to the border of your field of view. If you have reached the border of your field of view, you start to change the angle of your view direction.

If we may some day have a native support for Virtual Reality head mounted displays (Oculus Rift CV1 with Oculus Touch or the HTC Vive with Motion Controller) in ARMA 3 we need a few things:

1. a wider field of view (e.g. 90-120 degrees) in Arma 3 - now we have 70 degrees

2. a better resolution for the VR HMD (width of 1080 and height of 1200 per eye is too low -> pixel hunting) - most of the players are using 1920x1080 and higher on their monitor displays

3. a powerful GPU - because there are resolutions with 1080x1200 per eye (Oculus/HTC: 2160x1200) for now

4. a miracle for higher and at least stable frames per second (90+) - or you will end up puking on your desk

Actually, most of the stuff you mention is already mitigated. The framerate issues aren't as bad as you'd think (see my post above), and FOV can already be bypassed by a userconfig tweak (see earlier on in this thread). A VR-ready GPU (GTX970 +) handles Arma fine at those resolutions already, with appropriate settings (it still looks good). And the HMD resolution is helped a lot by Arma's zoom function. The bonus immersion is so much more valuable than the decreased resolution (unless of course you are playing competitively online).

I've seen quite a few opinions on this thread from people who clearly haven't played Arma 3 in the Oculus recently and keep peddling outdated information as a result. Try it properly before you knock it!

Do the VR work with arma 3 battleye in multiplayer? or do i have to disable battleye to play?

Do the VR work with arma 3 battleye in multiplayer? or do i have to disable battleye to play?

When I played it a few months back, I had to disable Battleye to get Vorpx to hook into the game. Not sure about now. 

Arm3 will be one of the main reasons for me to buy a HMD, not only for infantry but for flying! As soon as the price is dropping to 450 Euro (incl. shipping) I will press the order button :D

@Kremator

Very much anticipated :)

• Like 1

Right, my Rift arrived on Tuesday and I've been in VR land ever since!  I bought Virtual Desktop which means that I am able to play ANY game that would normally launch on the monitor on a HUGE monitor!  I've played Arma now for quite a while with no slowdowns and it is AMAZING - the Rift has Asynchronous TimeWarp which means that you will rarely feel sick due to judder, even at lowish FPS!).  The Rift is a pleasure to wear for hours and hours at a time and it doesn't get sweaty/fog up - I could go on all day about how much a piece of quality kit it is!

However, there is no real full 3d headtracking ingame.  I can look around my 40foot screen (in Virtual Desktop in Arma) with no problem BUT I cannot look behind me etc (basically anything OUTSIDE the huge screen).

Does anyone know if Arma supports stereoscopic view or (EVEN BETTER) a way to enable full 3D on the headset? 

Anyone in any doubt about VR just needs to jump onboard.  It is truely the next big step in gaming/entertainment.

• Like 2

Sounds great kremator and thanks for sharing. VR is definitely the future, early days yes but my guess is that within the next  ~5 years it will mature and in <10 years peopla will ask them self how we could play games on a regular screen.

Just like I ask myself how I could play games on a 14" monochrome monitor and CGA (320x200) or VGA  (640x480) resolution back in the 80's :)

falcon_11.png

I'm still split between OR and Vive and atm I'm leaning towards the Vive but it depends on which of them I can use with A3 and DCS.

Hopefully a unified non proprietary VR API will emerge so we don't have the same problem like before DirectX appeared back  in the days. For me a non proprietary VR API is important since it means no lockin's and will keep competition going between  manufacturers to push HW forward as well as driving the price down - win-win for all customers.

/KC

• Like 2

The Rift can do DCS very well.  In fact it is probably the one that you want due to ATW (async time warp).  The Vive is great, but allegedly the headset is heavy on the front that wears you out after a time.  I'm so glad that I went for the Rift as it hardly feels like I have it on!

I've been immersed in Elite Dangerous and it is just awesome, but I always play Arma3 for at least 1/2 hour per day .. I'm addicted :)

It would be great if a dev could chip in and let us know about Bohemia and VR.

Kremator; can weapon sights be aligned with the right eye only = working collimator sights...?

If so I will buy an OR!

Will test it out, but remember that it is running through Virtual Desktop, as there is no native VR at the moment.

• Like 1

How is the 3d? In earlier iterations of the game smoke didnt work good in 3d and there were a few other problems. Is A3 good and everything in the game world working as it should? Problematic UI I can live with as I have most disabled anyway.

I'll have a look ... going to try to use Virtual Desktop to wrap the screen completely around me and see how arma3 works.

Yeah he's running VorpX (costs around $40).  Not going down that route yet - all VorpX does is to run the game in SBS mode (side by side) - Arma3 doesn't do this by default.