MANTIA

Oculus Rift & Arma 3?

I'm sure many have seen that they are now taking pre-orders for the Oculus Rift.  I'm very excited for the Rift but am hesitant to buy mainly because I'm worried about Arma 3 performance wise.

The minimum requirements for the Rift are:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer\

I've heard of people with similar specs STILL have pretty low frames (in the 30-40FPS area) with similar builds.  

I've also seen articles saying that if your using the Rift your gunna want near 70+ FPS otherwise the stuttering is going to make a game unplayable and possibly make you sick.  I pretty much only play Arma 3 at the moment so if I can't use the Rift w/Arma there really isnt any point of me getting it. 

Anyone with experience with the Rift SDK with Arma?  Any ideas or input?

Thanks

The biggest problem is the ingame UI. It is not meant for 3D and will be impossible to look at without problems. One workaround is to remove it completly.

Have a look at YT. There is some footage of Oculus+ArmA3.

also you cant play it directly i think. you need vorpx and that cost something as well. i have it but didnt get it running with arma 3..

I would wait until there is a uniform VR SDK that works on all/most VR hardware.

Rift ordered .... will be interested in playing Arma3 with full immersion.

Most problem will be the fps. I heard you get sick if you get low fps. And since Arma kills every cpu. There will be time where you have not enought fps.

Just a reminder that the consumer Rift recommends 90 FPS.

I think the main problem is its price:

700€, seriously? The same price as a new pc...

• Like 1

I think it would be wise to leave it at the price they're spouting. It will be expensive, without a doubt. However, I'd much rather see the results first with the game I'm thinking of playing it with. It may be completely different to the results from other games using OR.

Just a reminder that the consumer Rift recommends 90 FPS.

Keep in mind that you can get pretty good FPS in A3 when you lower all postprocessing and view distance. And VR immersion is not directly bound to graphics quality. SO you probably can get a good result with A3 nevertheless.

I will wait for user experiences. I would also like BI to fix UI's and, most importantly, so that you can have the weapons sight in front of the right eye only. Working collimator sights!!

Keep in mind that you can get pretty good FPS in A3 when you lower all postprocessing and view distance. And VR immersion is not directly bound to graphics quality. SO you probably can get a good result with A3 nevertheless.

Singleplayer maybe, but if you play a lot multiplayer such high fps are hard to get, nearly impossible.

I have a good setup, i7 4790k + a gtx 980ti and 50% of the time i played this game mp i had a hard fight to get more then 20fps. It still happens often enough that i get less then 10fps.

Reducing the setting from high to low does not helped me, when i have these low fps the game does not care if i run it on high or low.

VR support in A3 will be the deciding factor for me since thats what I play most (on 2nd place comes DCS and they have native OR/Vive already).

Singleplayer maybe, but if you play a lot multiplayer such high fps are hard to get, nearly impossible.

I have a good setup, i7 4790k + a gtx 980ti and 50% of the time i played this game mp i had a hard fight to get more then 20fps. It still happens often enough that i get less then 10fps.

Assume this is in large AI missions? I get 50-60 fps in PvP with 60-70 players (it can dip to ~40 fps occasionally for a few seconds ) on my new rig at max settings (except VD). My rig is similar to yours, you have a bit better GPU and I have a bit newer CPU. Haven't tried large AI mission yet...

I make no excuse for performance issue in MP, it is well know also by the dev's and I'm not showing my "e-penis" either, just curios why you get such low fps with similar HW :)

/KC

I ordered a Rift as well but dont expect I can play Arma with it. Timewarping is said to reduce judder in low fps areas, but even then the image is not stereoscopic with vorpx afaik.

I really hope for VR support in Arma4 though. Arma could be a game where the slow gameplay really could help a lot with reducing motion sickness. Back then with the DK2 I didnt bother to try Arma as the setup was clunky to say the least.

I make no excuse for performance issue in MP, it is well know also by the dev's and I'm not showing my "e-penis" either, just curios why you get such low fps with similar HW :)

/KC

I have the same cpu as he has, but with a single R9-290 and don't have any issues.

Servers is my guess, which to use is a problem.

Get into a group if possible that use their own. You'll have a much nicer experience all around.

But I do understand that many players just want to jump in and out of playing. But find a good server.. at least.

I am running an I7 3770 @4.2, 8gb ram, asus sabretooth mobo, ati r9 290x, plays fine for me in Arma 3, but is it worth it £500 sadly not for me it is not, oculus can be so good in some games and so bad in others more worse if you try to stand up so now to be on the safe side i just sit and use kb and mouse over the Delta Six, you have to remember you cannot see the kb with the rift on so not so easy to find keys, with the delta six you need no kb or mouse just set up voice commands but standing makes you VR sick. I do love the rift but also hate it as the more i use it the less i want to use it as the sickness i suffer from it it don't stop when you take the headset off the sickness can last hours when i get that bad i have to go and sleep it off.

Ill wait to see what headsets work best with dcs and arma. I can wait until next january.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I have the same cpu as he has, but with a single R9-290 and don't have any issues.

Servers is my guess, which to use is a problem.

Get into a group if possible that use their own. You'll have a much nicer experience all around.

But I do understand that many players just want to jump in and out of playing. But find a good server.. at least.

We had our own sever, hosted by Hetzner. Good bandwich, no vr machine, a real machine with the latest i7 (We did not used xeon cpus because they are not good at A3). Mostly we played self maded coop missions, but nothing overkill. Mostly around 20~30 Ai with around 10 players. The strange think is, sometimes the fps was ok, sometimes not even with the same missions.

I ordered a Rift as well but dont expect I can play Arma with it. Timewarping is said to reduce judder in low fps areas, but even then the image is not stereoscopic with vorpx afaik.

I really hope for VR support in Arma4 though. Arma could be a game where the slow gameplay really could help a lot with reducing motion sickness. Back then with the DK2 I didnt bother to try Arma as the setup was clunky to say the least.

Async timewarp is your friend in Arma. Vorpx currently supports this and my Arma experience in the rift as actually really smooth as a result. Granted, I have a good PC but that's with everything maxed out. Async timewarp means that even 30 fps feels smooth. 

Also, Vorpx currently supports 3D stereoscopic vision. It's a bit messed up as some terrains need different 3d distance settings or they look really weird, but with some tweaking Altis looks pretty good. I've had a lot of fun just flying around with the DK2 in Altis using Opentrack to give free head movement, blasting fools with the minigun as I go along. Getting into firefights with the DK2 is extremely intense too, especially with a decent soundmod. With the ability to look around independent of the way your weapon is facing, it's actually one of the best DK2 experiences I've had, especially for an FPS. Your sense of presence is massively heightened along with situational awareness. It's better than DCS 1.5 judder-wise as the Vorpx's async timewarp is really smooth. Even the UI is fine as you can bind a mouse button to zoom out and see the edges whenever you need to. Vorpx has really come on leaps and bounds recently. 

The only issues I have with the DK2 is that you can't see the keyboard and the game keeps crashing after a while. If the crash is fixed, then I'd probably only ever play Arma with the DK2. 

• Like 2

Async timewarp means that even 30 fps feels smooth.

This is pretty hard to believe. I've never seen anyone suggest that 30 FPS would be remotely acceptable in VR, with or without timewarp.

This is pretty hard to believe. I've never seen anyone suggest that 30 FPS would be remotely acceptable in VR, with or without timewarp.

Don't believe it then... Not really sure why I'd lie about this as I actually have a DK2 and have played Arma 3 with it. 

As for never seeing anyone suggesting 30 FPS would be remotely accpetable, that's not true unless you didn't read my comment above.

For the sake of everyone else reading this thread, check out FlyInside for FSX. It uses asynchronous timewarp to deliver a smooth experience at down to 20FPS and it works well. I didn't think it would, but it does. Have a look at some of the reviews of the product. FSX runs notoriously badly but is still perfectly playable on the DK2 with this software. 

Without async timewarp, 60fps is horribly nauseating. With timewarp, less than 30 becomes uncomfortable, but 30+ is not nauseating at all for me. It isn't ideal just like 30 FPS isn't ideal on a monitor, but it's fine and I actually notice it less because regardless of the game's framerate, the headset is rendering at 70 FPS, which almost tricks you into thinking it's running at a better framerate than it is. 

I want to see this thread evolve into a plethora of "Look, I'm playing Arma with the new RIFT!"

As long as the crashing issue is solved, I'm sure it will! 

May be its possible to get an official statement from BI whats the plan with Rift and Vive?

It would be really great.

I think Arma is the best game for VR

Gotta say only reason I haven't bothered with vr is the games just dont appeal to me right now. Arma 3 in vr. With all the cool changes happening with apex. This would be sweet.

As far as I know at least one bis dev is working on vr. Whether this is another project, side project, or getting arma 3 ready is another story .