hardcode

How many servers can I host efficiently on dedicated box

I am planning to get a dedicated server with these specs:

Intel Xeon E3

4cores/8threads

3.4 / 3.8 GHz Frequency

32 GB of RAM DDR3 ECC 1600 MHz

2TB HDD

How many servers can I host if each server were to hold 60-100 players on a medium/large scale mission.

How much resource does each server take up or should be saved for best efficiency.

Not many. The Xeon is a great webserver but a poor A3 gameserver. Get something based on an i7

Not many. The Xeon is a great webserver but a poor A3 gameserver. Get something based on an i7

Okay. I found one with these specs. How many servers approximately, can i host?

Intel  i7-4790K

4cores/8threads 

4.0 / 4.4 GHz Frequency 

32 GB of RAM DDR3 1333 MHz

240GB SSD

That's much better. Of course it ALL depends on the mission. A fully populated coop server such as Domination will use much of the resources of that. If you mean an efficient little tvt like Endgame, you could probably have 4+ instances.

No one is going to be able to pin a number on your question.

If you're hoping to run some RPG or other shit, I can't help you any further, Even if the mission is a brand new Life mission with totally custom content,

We have a Xeon E5 cpu with 16 cores, and what we have figured out is ArmA can take a max of 4 cores. so no matter howheavy your missions are on 8 cores you will always be able to put effectivly 2 servers on it. if you have proper optimized missions you could even run them on 2 cores each giving you 4 servers on a 8 core. I would never run it as les than 2 cores though.

dont forget to assign the cores to specifik servers though!

Hi kbbw ! :)

Your E5 is considerably better than an E3, but are so much more expensive. For an Arma server, an i7 still makes the best value bet for a couple of server instances, in my experience.

As a general rule of thumb you can usually accommodate a number of servers equal to the number of physical cores on your CPU divided by four with a minimum of hassle. So on my current 16 core setup I can manage 4 servers or two servers and two headless clients or combinations of the two depending on the mission needs.

A bigger consideration WRT server capability is the incoming/outgoing internet bandwidth. Here again you need to be looking at around a peak of 10kbps per player connected, so for 40 players you're looking at a peak of 400kbps to keep everything in sync. Most of the time you will be well below this threshold but when the action gets hot and heavy it is very easy to swamp you connection and introduce horrible effects in-game. This usually isn't a problem for wired connections, but any sort of wifi is to be avoided like the plague.

My only comment is that 10kbps per player seems a bit low... especially if you are running a modded server.  IMHO you want to allocate a minimum of 128kbps/player and be prepared to increase that if your mission spawns AI on clients or does other similar client stuff... upwards of 512kbps/player.  I know BIS has been working on reducing the amount of data transfer recently so perhaps the requirements aren't so high anymore.