Good News everyone,

I would like to show the work for the first mod I would like to release and share. So far the outline of the trailer and blimp complete with more detailed added as I go.  This is my learning model.  I have not made a mod for Arma before but have read up.  So don't expect fast development as I am a self taught 3d artist  and learned  from a laptop in iraq and am not just relearning blender from those pre 2.5 version days.  I plan a realistic goals.

Hopes for the future
V1: A model in game and working with Zeus.(Add your own camera/whatever with memory points listed on release)

V2: Sensors and cameras added (Basic functions/still researching as some of these blimps fly quite height for Arma cameras I believe)

V3: Working lower and raise (I have never seen anyone successfully do a lighter than air ship yet in Arma 3,  that being said I foresee rope coming in handy for the tether. If anyone has seen negative mass LOD before let me know.)

V4: Attachment for blimp(I would like to learn this correctly with some nice Virtual Garage options)

V5: Different versions (Naval/Truck mounted/Smaller/Larger/WW2)

ras4Llm.png

http://imgur.com/ras4Llm

• Like 6

Been looking at this Aerostat going on 15 years here on Ft.Huachuca.

• Like 1

1) Why do you use the Subsurf modifier ? Why not use the smooth function of blender ? You can adjust the intensity of the smoothing with, and that will make you save vertices.

2) I also see that you didn't stop modelling, thus, why not using the "mirror" modifier ? To avoid you redoing the same manipulations on both sides ?

3) And be careful, you Aerostat is dented !

Good luck !

• Like 1

1) Why do you use the Subsurf modifier ? Why not use the smooth function of blender ? You can adjust the intensity of the smoothing with, and that will make you save vertices.

2) I also see that you didn't stop modelling, thus, why not using the "mirror" modifier ? To avoid you redoing the same manipulations on both sides ?

3) And be careful, you Aerostat is dented !

Good luck !

1. Smooth and subsurface are what I have been messing with to refine but I haven't gotten a desireable effect yet.

2. I probably would have if the model was more complex(car model mirror left to right)but it was just really easy to not use while modeling. -better modeling workflow is something I am still learning/getting my style. As I have started some texturing I can see how mirror would speed up the process and I will go back and refine but I don't expect problems as a white balloon and CARC trailer will need small texture details (sticking,rivits,welds)nothing too complicated.

3. Dented?

Been looking at this Aerostat going on 15 years here on Ft.Huachuca.

That's exactly why I am making this. For the enlisted seeing an arostat Is part of FOB security and situational awareness. When our FOB arostat was down you take note. When it's up its like a happy friend in the sky.
  • Like 1

What will the balloon do? Will it be for recon? 

You could use it for AA, just send it up into the flight path of a helo 

What will the balloon do? Will it be for recon? 

You could use it for AA, just send it up into the flight path of a helo 

LOL! A jammer would be cool, like if you put it at a base it stops any aircraft from locking on to anything in the radius of it and automatically puts enemy air threats on maps if in radius. Thats just my 2 cents though 

I saw this in document and it has video camera attached on it for better overview around base.

I saw this in document and it has video camera attached on it for better overview around base.

Weird, I heard the army refused to put cameras on it because of out lash from conspiracy theorist. "A spokesperson for the Army stated that "absolutely, 100 percent" that JLENS will not have video cameras,[20] nor will it collect personally identifiable information. “The primary mission...is to track airborne objects,†the Army said. “Its secondary mission is to track surface moving objects such as vehicles or boats. The capability to track surface objects does not extend to individual people."" Thats from Wikipedia though

• Like 1

LOL! A jammer would be cool, like if you put it at a base it stops any aircraft from locking on to anything in the radius of it and automatically puts enemy air threats on maps if in radius. Thats just my 2 cents though 

Maybe it could interfere with soldiers GPS? 

saw this video today, maybe could help you on the functions of it, Hope progress is going good! Really excited for this
  • Like 1

I have been busy but have not abandoned. 

olGRzjEr.png

There are way to many polys and no dirt texture painting yet but everything is modeled. Texture painting is next. Then lower poly count and wrap, LOD's, Oxygen, config, importing/converting files, scripting, testing.........

Other projects slow me too. Nimitz Zeus Scripts and a Cargo Box Ship. 

• Like 6

Wow man, that looks great. Awesome to see you are still working on this!

We'll

1. UV's are tricky

2. Modeling to many things is for some reason fun

I figure out my UV bake issue so I am now able to bake high to low poly. So my way to many poly wheels went from 30,000 to 200 :D. I'm still knocking down some polys and baking :/ but I have a good process now.

P.s. if blender is telling you there are no object or image to bake to check if you did something dumb like add multiple uv maps under.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:20 PM, theDayman69 said:

Did anything ever come of this? Looking to place an Aerostat on the campaign im working on.

The thread was last updated in 2016, so its safe say no. Closing due to the following forum rule:

10) Do not dig up old threads

Threads older than 4 months should not be dug up unless something significant is being added. If in doubt as to what is "significant", contact a moderator and they will give you their opinion. As always old threads will remain open or be closed at the moderator's discretion.