CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Terrains

On 8/27/2019 at 11:48 AM, rekkless said:

Awe that's a shame.

is it complicated is it something I can put into my mission? or is it more of a config that need to be incorporated into the mod itself?

1) My system is up.

2) What I did for the campaign in progress is create a pbo consisting of CfgWorlds and CfgPatches. In CfgWorlds.hpp it looks like this:

class CfgWorlds
{
    class DefaultWorld;
    class CAWorld: DefaultWorld
    {
        cutscenes[]={};
    };
    class carter_wrp : CAWorld
    {
        class CfgEnvSounds;
        class EnvSounds : CfgEnvSounds
        {
            class Rain
            {
                name = "Snow";
                sound[] = {"A3\sounds_f\ambient\winds\wind-synth-slow",0.0199526,1};
                soundNight[] = {"A3\sounds_f\ambient\winds\wind-synth-slow",0.03,1};
                volume = "(windy factor[0,1])";
            };
        };
        class Rain
        {
            texture = "CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_weather\data\cup_snowflaker_ca.paa";
            raindrop = "\CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_weather\cup_snowflaker.p3d";
            speed = 0.5;
            levels[] = {8,2};
        };
        class RainParticles
        {
            rainDropTexture = "CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_weather\data\cup_snowflaker_ca.paa";
            texDropCount = 1;
            minRainDensity = 0.1;
            maxRainDensity = 9;
            effectRadius = 10;
            windCoef = 20;
            dropSpeed = 1;
            rndSpeed = 0.5;
            rndDir = 0.8;
            dropWidth = 0.03;
            dropHeight = 0.03;
            dropColor[] = {0.91,0.96,0.99,1};
            lumSunFront = 0.1;
            lumSunBack = 0.1;
            refractCoef = 0.5;
            refractSaturation = 0.3;
        };
    };
};

You would change carter_wrp to match the map name that you are using. Easiest way to find the name is to make an empty mission in the editor and save it and see what name it has in the missions folder. If you need more help let me know, or give me the map name, and I will upload it to my web server.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Seems to work just fine. (Tried it with Vidda) Thank you buddy!

• Like 1

Hello,

I am not sure where to report what appears to me as a bug, but it seems that the Grass over Porto has disappeared since the last time I played (probably a couple of months). I have tried yesterday (onlu cup core and cup terrains activated). Porto is a very dear place to me since the Queen's Gambit mission... but without grass, it does feel empty. Note that the Satmap appears to have patches of grass, but grass disappear at ground level.

Please let me know if there is a better place to report.

I take the opportuny of this post to thanks and congrat's the cup team for this amazing work !

Kind regards,

GFt

41 minutes ago, guyfawkestom said:

Hello,

I am not sure where to report what appears to me as a bug, but it seems that the Grass over Porto has disappeared since the last time I played (probably a couple of months). I have tried yesterday (onlu cup core and cup terrains activated). Porto is a very dear place to me since the Queen's Gambit mission... but without grass, it does feel empty. Note that the Satmap appears to have patches of grass, but grass disappear at ground level.

Please let me know if there is a better place to report.

I take the opportuny of this post to thanks and congrat's the cup team for this amazing work !

Kind regards,

GFt

Our bug tracker is a better place. 

https://dev.cup-arma3.org/maniphest/task/edit/form/1/

Screenshots would be helpful too.

Hi everyone, I wanna ask which files(or suffix)in the addon folder of @CUP Terrains - Maps contain the terrian Porto? I'm just doing some personal  test, thank you in advance!

CUPREP #0011: New Release 1.13.0

A new release of CUP Terrains is available as part of today's CUPDATE live on the usually channels, or very shortly for the workshop. For terrains there are some small fixes for some maps, clearing off a number of old tickets. However for Core whilst the number of overall changes are not as big as in the past hopefully some important fixes and improvements have been made.

A particular focus was put on the view geometry of all vegetation provided  by CUP. The size of the geometry has been increased on average between 20%-30%, for gameplay this means that the goemetry that obscures AI's "sight" has gotten bigger and more inline with what the players see from that actual textures. We hope that this will provide a bit more balance when playing against AI on terrains using the older vegetation. Continuing the theme of geometry improvments in models, there was also an overhall done on the fire geometry for compound walls for assets from A2 and OA, to try and update them with more realistic penetration data. For example the mud walls found creating compounds all over takistan are now letting 7.62mm rounds through them, making your choices of cover against different weapon systems a bit more important.

Also quickly to explain the reasoning for removals that may get queried in the changelogs, we have taken a decision at this time to remove the destruction animations from bridges that had them. The main reason for this was that they were unusable by community terrain makers for reasons that are still trying to be diagnosed, however the result was causing various terrain making tools to crash. The short term solution to this has been to remove the destruction animations and follow the arma 3 approach for bridges and make them indestructable. We know that a number of people will not be happy with this change as they like the situations and scenarios that they can make around destroyed bridges, we hope that in the future a proper solution can be found or, an alternative destruction method used.

To wrap up, we would like to note that this may be one of the last updates for the current CUP Terrains Maps package. This does not mean that work on CUP Terrains will conclude, simply that we are freeing up the time that would be spent on them for other projects that we hope to be able to share information on soon.

As always changelogs are on both our downloads page and contained within the download on steam.

Have Fun, and Bye for now!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

First, I very like CUP terrains as it brings a lot interesting "Old School" terrains to Arma 3. The main work might be done, so I have a suggestion for the future. It would be abolutely massive if you would replace oll the old low-res textures with 2k textures. Because the main problem with CUP are the Old textures, in CUP Terrains, Vehicles, Weapons, Units etc. I know it would be a huge amount of work, but the old textures look unsightly in Arma, I mean all the Terrains, especially the european style terrains, partially look completely different (in a bad way) than they're counterparts in Arma 2, Arma 1 and OFP. The Light engine is quite different, they dont really fit together with vanilla buildings and... I guess you know what I mean. There are many community members who see this exactly like me. I dont wanna be nasty, I do not want to upset your work. I know this would increase the filesize, but you cold simply remove all Buildings that came with Contact and replace them, whats possible by the way, it wouldn't be that much work for the begin, and you wouldn't have retexture the buildings. There is also a mod in that operates that way, maybe you could merge your projects? Just contact them! I mean, this is a community! Here's a link down below:

https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/225936-interiors-for-cup-buildings/?page=2&tab=comments#comment-3382297 (BI forum)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1883956552                                                                                                (Steam Workshop)

The mod has been uploaded a week ago and has already 7,3 k subscribers and 500 favourites! I a week! If they can do it, you can do it also! See how epic and pretty CUP terrains look only with this small 2 MB Mod! A lot of CUP objects already exist in Arma 3, for example the barrier, a lot of misc and so on. Just replace it! Save drive memory!  So if that would be done, you could retexture everything as the next step. I'm sure you can, (and by the way, I'd suggest cgbookcase.com, a site with dozens of high quality royality free textures for artists, modders etc.), and also imagine how ... lecherous CUP could look with new building textures, Livonia lightning (take a look at this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1862157876&searchtext=livonia+light), contact building, vanilla assets, 2k textures and so on. Believe me, you would do the community a much greater favor than you already did. Please think about it.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

It might come as a shock, but yeah, we know that one of the big issues are textures. The MP5 had a 512x512 texture as an example, the original Little Bird had four 1k textures mashed together onto one 2K textures, and it included the grey AH-6X version. We have experimented with an algorithm that can enlarge older textures and "guess" details. Right now, that hasn't been a priority though.

When it comes to replacing Chernarus buildings with Contact buildings, we have considered this option and have decided against it. We want to keep Chernarus as it is right now, so that there is little chance of breaking existing missions. Having said that, though, there is already work going on on the next generation of Terrains, which will mix things up a bit. We'll talk about the details when we are ready to disclose them.

If you check the new models we made, most of them have 4k textures as default (or a sufficient number of 2k textures). For some vehicles, like e.g. the HMMWV's, we are actually making new models and textures.

This all takes time.

• Like 15

59 minutes ago, BeastHunter said:

but you cold simply remove all Buildings that came with Contact and replace them, whats possible by the way, it wouldn't be that much work for the begin, and you wouldn't have retexture the buildings.

I would be very interested in where this mystical knowledge came from, as to it being simple and near effortless to just swap out several thousand objects. Unsurprisingly more than a few individuals have suggested that we could replace older era models with their Enoch counterparts, including several of us within CUP. However as 90% of the people making these "helpful" suggestions do not have any terrain making experience or knowledge, they will not know that it is by no means as simple as clicking a few buttons and replacing all the buildings with "not much work". 

The mod that you proceeded to mention is a prime example of this. Firstly that mod does not replace all buildings that are available, why not? Because some of them the offset that is caused when replaced in that manor is too large and causes other problems that they cannot fix. So they chose to not use those buildings. Secondly as it is the buildings they have chosen to the majority of them will have an offset to some degree, which solves one problem and causes another, additionally many of these replaced buildings you will not even be able to use correctly because of terrain that will now be clipping into those buildings. Which means modifying the height-field underneath affected buildings, by hand, on a case by case basis.

So we find out now that replacing these buildings properly requires fixing a number of other issues that the replacement itself creates, and is not in fact a quick and simple job but a rather involved one. As mentioned above and in the latest release post, work is underway on new things and information will be made available when appropriate. 

It also comes across slightly less presumptuous if you ask questions, rather than make seemingly definitive statements in future. 

• Like 9

For Contact assets I do it gangsta style if I want them, I simply replace 9-10 houses in each big city in Chernarus with it's equivalent from Contact and Hide Terrain Objects modules in editor and save that as template for future missions.

• Like 4

Will there be update again in a week or so? I've read enough of steam workshop comments and found out that many people have been complaining about how server can't load, cant play this and cant play that map, and such. That said, i don't want to double triple download this big of a file again and again in a week becuz of patching(thx for the works you guys have doing). We have no wifi here you know, applied to me and my friends at this shithole of a country. I have to download and update all my mod and core game update with my mobile data here(main reason we still sticking with armadillo for mods, except some mods that does't upload elsewhere). So can you guys plz give me tiny advice on should i download it now or wait until the patch/s that may come in next couple of day? Thank you for all the hard works you guys have been into, much appreciate all of it. Love the new contents with CUP weapons!

I'm not complaining anything(there's nothing to complain about community contributions), just happen to be born in wifi scarce part of the planet, and having issue you guys might hard to believe even exist lool

Edited by Bukain
not being a *

We are not aware of a need for a hotfix. The workshop is in our experience not the place for accurate feedback, there have not been any reports on our bug tracker or in discord about any issues preventing servers from launching.

I for one have been able to update my communities servers just fine and we have been playing with no problem. If there was a large issue, i would also expect there to be a large mention of it within this thread. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@-ben- Ok, thank for all your request. I am really sorry if my ... "product", my suggestion/question sounded rude and presumptuous. I think a problem is, that german (my mothertongue) and english are 

similar but not identical in the linguistic application, so for an english-speaking person, it may sound way presumtuoser oder more rude than for a german person, so I am really sorry for the way I said it. I can speak english good, but I am way not perfect. So let us forget what happened. Thanks.

I'm getting this error and it is stopping my server from starting with CUP-Terrains Core and CUP-Terrains Maps. 

19:55:08 Conflicting addon CUP_Animations_Data in 'CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_dummy\', previous definition in 'ca\animations\'

19:55:08 Conflicting addon CUP_Animations_Config in 'CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_dummy\', previous definition in 'ca\animations\'

19:55:18 Warning Message: Addon 'CUP_Afghan_Config' requires addon 'CUP_Afghan_Data'

On 10/25/2019 at 5:31 AM, ski2060 said:

I'm getting this error and it is stopping my server from starting with CUP-Terrains Core and CUP-Terrains Maps. 

19:55:08 Conflicting addon CUP_Animations_Data in 'CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_dummy\', previous definition in 'ca\animations\'

19:55:08 Conflicting addon CUP_Animations_Config in 'CUP\Terrains\cup_terrains_dummy\', previous definition in 'ca\animations\'

19:55:18 Warning Message: Addon 'CUP_Afghan_Config' requires addon 'CUP_Afghan_Data'

Are you loading any other addons besides CUP? Does the error persist if you remove those addons? Did you try to "repair addon" in the launcher?

So, it ended up being a Steam issue with corrupt files. I was just getting it on 2 different systems, both my home system and my hosted server.
It was just weird that it happened on both simultaneously.

Once I got a good copy of CUP Terrains I was able to manually update my server and it's running now.
Sorry for the false alarm.

21 hours ago, ski2060 said:

Sorry for the false alarm.

I prefer false alarms over actual problems we have to solve 😉

• Like 1

Hello there, Bambies and Bandits!

Now with Livonia assets available to terrain creators, we decided to spice up the well beloved Chernarus to new visual glory.
To celebrate this iconic terrain and also Bohemia Interactive's 20th birthday, we'd like to announce the "Chernarus 2020 Screenshot Contest".
The mods that allowed for the contest are CBA_A3, all CUP mods and static animation mods only.

The winner will receive a free version of the "Contact DLC".

Last accepted submission on twitter and our discord contest screenshot channel will be Jan. 4th at 22:00 CET, and the winner will be announcement on Jan. 11th 2020.
The weekly updated public dev build of "Chernarus 2020" can be found on our workshop page, as well as on our Website http://cup-arma3.org/

6AKhKrO.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Hola. I have taken a 45 minute tour of Chernarus 2020, and I am impressed, especially with the furniture. I do have a request. Your own updates have given us interiors for the airport buildings, control tower, barracks. But the new Livonia update over writes these. I use those buildings in a number of scenarios.