CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Terrains

About tanoa depedency - i will, never buy it (apex), as i'm not interested in futurealistic hardware like this on photo below, so please, please, please do not create such depedency.

BTW they just "killed" most iconic heli - MI-24.....

It is your choice whether you buy Apex or not. It is every modder's choice to make Apex a requirement or not.

• Like 8

Sorry, didn't know you were a cup developer (even though it's on your sig :\) and I thought you were just referring to the rules

Actually, I think I was the first non-Kju member of CUP :) I guess I should make it more prominent in my signature.

• Like 1

About tanoa depedency - i will, never buy it (apex), as i'm not interested in futurealistic hardware like this on photo below, so please, please, please do not create such depedency.

So you don't want to spend 23.99€ for a expansion to support the developer of a game you like and that adds the best terrain they ever made because it comes with two "Crysis-like" VTOLs? Strange decision but okay, your choice. I would even buy Apex if Tanoa would come with laser rifles and railguns even if I would never use them and only use CUP (unfortunatly I already have the supporter edition and can't buy Apex).

• Like 6

So you don't want to spend 23.99€ for a expansion to support the developer of a game you like and that adds the best terrain they ever made because it comes with two "Crysis-like" VTOLs? Strange decision but okay, your choice. I would even buy Apex if Tanoa would come with laser rifles and railguns even if I would never use them and only use CUP (unfortunatly I already have the supporter edition and can't buy Apex).

Just because you like a game doesn't mean you need to support the devs at every chance you get. Especially when you don't like/agree with the decision they made. Voting with your wallet is a thing.

Also "best terrain ever" is very much subjective and an opinion, I personally think the A2 maps are still the "best terrains ever"

Of course it's up to mod makers to choose if they want to use content from Tanoa. I get that they'd love to use all this new and cool content, but hopefully do keep in mind that by doing so they're cutting off a portion of the community from ever being able to using it. Especially groups with a large amount of  players where it's pretty absurd to expect everyone within the group to buy this expansion just to be able to use a modded map.

Those are my thoughts on it at least.. 

You're missing out on Tanoa which in itself is worth the full price in my opinion, plus it's just a matter of time before modders start adding Apex objects and content to their missions/terrains/mods, so you'll be losing a lot more over time.

If you play Arma regularly you're just delaying the inevitable. :P

• Like 7

Alright guys and gals-let's stay on topic. There are more than enough threads for complaining about Apex/Tanoa already ;)

And to be honest: I wouldn't want to restore Chernarus grass 1:1 as it was unplayable high. A complete new clutter mix that resembles the old one but with a lower profile would be better.

Agree in fact I did make the suggestion that AiA should incorporate GDT grass (http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6628) though that's a little too short and still changes the character of the terrain some. As you say, ideally something in between the two could be made from the original vegetation.

I like original ArmA2 grass as well, I was not happy when AiA replaced it with Altis grass and was glad CUP had original one pre 1.1.0... Gameplay wise it was never a problem for me

However from what I gather it looks like a simple model replacement in a config so shouldn't be too hard to revert the change at least as a separate mod, mmmm

• Like 1

Great work! :) Will you share your knowledge so other map builders can adjust their own maps?

• Like 1

I saw today DYNA sound presentation - Ai seems to see through that extra vegetation, so sorry, but jungle is a bit misunderstanding for Arma uber AI For me best maps are that you have ported. This is why i'm on this thread. :) No need for Tanoa objects on CUP Chernarus for example.

I saw today DYNA sound presentation - Ai seems to see through that extra vegetation, so sorry, but jungle is a bit misunderstanding for Arma uber AI For me best maps are that you have ported. This is why i'm on this thread. :) No need for Tanoa objects on CUP Chernarus for example.

1. AI does not see through vegetation. They just hear too well
  2. This is not the place to discuss shortcomings of AI, if you think there is an AI issue, use the dedicated thread.
  3. Whether Chernarus needs to does not need anything from Tanoa is going to be decided by the CUP project. I can see Sahrani greatly profiting from the new tropical vegetation of Tanoa for example
  4. Let's stay on topic, okay?
  • Like 2

Metalcraze, that's definitely a step in the right direction. Once BIS fixes object illumination and tweaks the nights on their end too (which hopefully doesn't kill your work), let's cross our fingers we are back in business. :)

Thanks for putting all the time and effort in this.

@ Metalcraze - Fantastic! Now that is the ARMA 2/CO I remember but in way better lighting!

@ CUP Team - I noticed when I load CUP Terrains FULL, and play a mission that was not designed for cup, say Altis or Stratis, I would start the game floating in water way above the ground! Is there some kind of incompatibility with older Steam workshop Altis/Stratis missions? 

There appears also to be a YAAB compatibility issue if you load it off steam and it would END before the benchmark ever starts.

I know I can unload cup, restart ARMA, but I am usually switching between maps in EDEN playing around with figures and units. Then I would run a benchmark or test some older mission to compare.

Just curious about this weird bug.

@ CUP Team - I noticed when I load CUP Terrains FULL, and play a mission that was not designed for cup, say Altis or Stratis, I would start the game floating in water way above the ground! Is there some kind of incompatibility with older Steam workshop Altis/Stratis missions? 

Never witnessed that problem. Are you using other mods as well ? In such a case, I would really suggest loading only CUP Terrains and try if the problem persists

• Like 1

Metalcraze, that's definitely a step in the right direction. Once BIS fixes object illumination and tweaks the nights on their end too (which hopefully doesn't kill your work), let's cross our fingers we are back in business. :)

Thanks for putting all the time and effort in this.

I bet it breaks something but hopefully it will be a quick fix then :D

• Like 1

Hey Cup Team - I was testing Tanoa and decided to load up CUP to compare some of the new DEV features (AI Driving). In anycase, I was testing the AI on cup and other maps when I noticed that if I load up custom A2 DayZ maps with cup, I would loose the streetlights because one of their configs replaced it. I am unsure how to re-replace the streetlights back.

But,some of the DayZ maps actually has many more opened up houses. Taviana and FSF Podagorsk. Those 2 maps has be to some of the most complex and balanced maps next to Chernarus and Tanoa.

Also, the DayZero mod has many modified buildings that are opened up. 

Would you guys consider porting and combining the opened up house models for the classic A2 ports without the Armageddon textures?

Would you guys consider porting and combining the opened up house models for the classic A2 ports without the Armageddon textures?

We don't have permission for any of those houses/buildings to include in CUP.

It look too saturated LOL

It is not about saturation because you can change it now in video options. Just look how shadows look before and after. For me WIP pictures look like as meant to be looked in A2 OA. 

Metalcraze: I don't know if you can do anything about it, or if it's a limitation with the new lightning system, but the greens in the brightest versions of your screen shots (the top example in both) seem just to bright and to light green. I've noticed this on the other maps as well, the colors seem a bit odd.

Are you able to tweak these values for individual maps? This looks like a huge improvement though, thank you!

metalcraze-great job! The new nights look fantastic.I hope illumination is sorted out soon by BI so the nights are not just a black screen anymore ;)  And I miss chemlights....

• Like 1

Hello guys, you probably remember FDF Podagorsk - it has so few attention in the ArmA 3 world. What is the best we have? Please help, I want to play it in Arma3... I only found ArmA 2 versions or it being included in some Zombie mod. This map would suit so well into CUP_terrains...

• Like 1

Hello guys, you probably remember FDF Podagorsk - it has so few attention in the ArmA 3 world. What is the best we have? Please help, I want to play it in Arma3... I only found ArmA 2 versions or it being included in some Zombie mod. This map would suit so well into CUP_terrains...

+1

Or I believe a map config "fix" PBO would suffice to simply replace assets from cup when in use in Arma 3 such as the skies and street lights. Same for Taviana. 

If there is a sample config, we can help contribute even if we are coding / scripting newbs.

Lastly, are there any plans to update enter-able houses with lights inside similar to TPW mod but with your own lighting system? I notice the streetlights in CUP updated were automatic at night.

Here we go again...

We cannot just put a map into the terrain pack on a whim. Unless the author agrees, it's not going to happen.

Please refrain from asking for the inclusion of a terrain unless you are the rights holder/author of the map, then we can talk. But we're not going to just put it in.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

• Like 1

You can use nearly every ArmA 1/ArmA 2 map in ArmA 3 with CUP Terrains, including Podagorsk, so what exactly is your problem?