CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Terrains

Guys i have big ask for you:

When you will be releasing nex version, could you consider also only update version? I mean, only updated files?

Right now, i removed CUP from steam workshop as it stared to redownload all 20GB of mods again, even when they was on disc (i removed steam files to "restart it", but let games & mods folder intact on other drive). Now i needed to unsubscribe all terrain mods, beacuse it would take years to download.

I got very slow internet connection (256kb/s) and downloading with it its a nightmare, but i have to live with it 3 months (local problems). Please consider updates, i love your work, but downloading 9GB would take very long.

This.

I had to stay up all night (1 am - 7 am) because it's usually the only time when my current download/upload speed goes beyond 10kb/s, and my shitty internet connection likes to randomly switch off itself... I and many others would appreciate the aforementioned solution (if possible).

Thank you in advance, and keep up the good work.

again , if you want to have your mods updated and no download many gb's over and over again , use playwithsix

http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3

That's a valid solution, i agree... but i actually think that the old school way is a much better choice and, of course, features a definitely simpler procedure while being reliable, highly modular, effective and gorgeous.

As you probably know, a lot of of people are not into updaters and similar stuff, and prefer to do manually this kind of things.

Certain stuff can't just be lost in the darkness, in the past, and shall remain steady, healthy and relevant, as it may be considered useful and easy to use by some people. (just like floppy disks, that i still use).

I'm not trying to convert you to our faith, I'm just trying to explain why someone may have problems with certain tools.. That's it... Copy-Paste-Replace tactics are sexy, simple and safe.

That being said, I'm not forcing the CUP team to do this, I'm just giving a suggestion.

• Like 1

There is strange issue i'm facing while running recent version of CUP Terrains on server:

If i place helicopter / plane in editor, on mission start (only on dedicated server, local works fine) helis / planes will be "launched" to air (not far, like 2-3 meters), their engines will be working and they will explode short time after that.

This does not happen with local MP / editor, this doesn't happen on altis / stratis, this also only affects flying vehicles.

Tested only takistan and zargabad.

:) also ,I'm not trying to convert you to my faith,but

with the old school copy paste you need to track your mods for updates.and if you use many mods then is a pain in the @ss...... with six just run the app and tells you how many mods need update and you choose witch mod you want to update with a click. No forums, no nothing....

for the reliability,,, i never loose anything with sixupdater (i use it from arma2) 

:)

edit : plus , you can choose from 2500 mods for arma3 to test with a single click ;)

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it's out of the scope of the project, but would it be possible to improve the performance in the main city area of Zargabad at all? I have a pretty decent computer (i7-6700k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM) and play with a dropped view distance on Very High and I struggle to be in the 20-25 FPS range there.

Even when I'm alone in the editor with just a player on the map, I average around 30 FPS in the city and I just don't understand why. Other maps have cities very similar to this one and I don't see this kind of performance. Generally I actually consider 20-25 FPS pretty playable (Sangin for instance has areas that dip) but on Zargabad, the frame drops are brutal in a way that I'd guess I dip as low as 15 at times.

I don't populate this city with too many enemies and this is in SP.

In the outskirts I'm well above 60FPS constantly. But at times the frames drop so bad in the main urban area it feels like my game might crash.

Again, sorry if this is out of the realm of the project. I figured it would be worth asking.

@Vasily.B   use playwithsix (automatic update only for the files that have changes and not the entire mod) 

exactly what you need

http://withsix.com/p/Arma-3

PWS - never. I will never forget when it downloaded hardly 4 GB (of 8) and my connection resetted. All started to download from begin. With today forums/social media i dont need to track, its all in notification.

• Like 3

I'm not sure if it's out of the scope of the project, but would it be possible to improve the performance in the main city area of Zargabad at all? I have a pretty decent computer (i7-6700k, GTX 970, 16GB RAM) and play with a dropped view distance on Very High and I struggle to be in the 20-25 FPS range there.

Way outside the scope I'm afraid. There is a certain (slim) chance that some models will be upgraded with the visblocker stuff that was added to the latest patches, but I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

• Like 2

:) also ,I'm not trying to convert you to my faith,but

with the old school copy paste you need to track your mods for updates.and if you use many mods then is a pain in the @ss...... with six just run the app and tells you how many mods need update and you choose witch mod you want to update with a click. No forums, no nothing....

for the reliability,,, i never loose anything with sixupdater (i use it from arma2) 

:)

No forums? Then where do you get the little extra tidbits of information that you would normally discover from those forum browsing update adventures? :o  I much prefer old-school hands on.

• Like 4

Will you consider making Tanoa part of future CUP terrain requirements? Might be some assets in there you can use to replace arma 2's (e.g. grass and other vegetation).

Will you consider making Tanoa part of future CUP terrain requirements? Might be some assets in there you can use to replace arma 2's (e.g. grass and other vegetation).

No... That's not a good idea.

Such an obnoxious decision would spawn tremendous pain inside poor people's hearts & wallets - money doesn't grow on trees man.

And what's wrong with ArmA 2's grass? Lo Fi stuff is good, and we don't need the same grass on every terrain... a bit of variation is needed, isn't it?

• Like 2

The Community Upgrade Project is an initiative to bring all the content of ArmA 2

[+ OA and DLCs] from BI into ArmA 3, upgraded to the ArmA 3 feature set.

Its goal is to provide those assets to the community as a mod ready to use in the game.

• Cooperative and coordinated effort to get a coherent port of ArmA 2 content

[+ OA and DLCs] from BI to ArmA 3 standards.

• Release of the content in a coherent way

No... That's not a good idea.

Such an obnoxious decision would spawn tremendous pain inside poor people's hearts & wallets - money doesn't grow on trees man.

And what's wrong with ArmA 2's grass? Lo Fi stuff is good, and we don't need the same grass on every terrain... a bit of variation is needed, isn't it?

Because it would go a long way in bringing old content to Arma 3 standards. I think theyre already using arma 3 grass and yes, more variation is needed. High quality arma 3 assets would offer an excellent means to achieve that.

Because it would go a long way in bringing old content to Arma 3 standards. I think theyre already using arma 3 grass and yes, more variation is needed. High quality arma 3 assets would offer an excellent means to achieve that.

You have a point, but I disagree... Having Tanoa's grass (as well as ArmA 3's grass) in Chernarus, Utes, Sahrani, Takistan, etc., wouldn't provide variation at all. It'll make terrains look all the same, and many eyes would bleed as the sacrilege is committed. Every era has its own assets, every terrain is characterized by them, so it'll be a mistake to excessively merge what makes a terrain stand out... those little details that embed every terrain, every soul into your mind.

• Like 3

We already discussed that internally and we would really love (for example) having the new Tanoa palms replacing the ones on Sahrani. But with the current handling of the expansion files (EPO) this would mean Sahrani will than depend on the ownership of Apex and not everybody has it (yet). But looking back at the adaption rate of Arrowhead we can expect in ~6-12 month nearly everybody will have Apex. We will than reevaluate the usage of Apex assets.

So short answer: No Tanoa dependency yet (it is not even released) but that may change in the far future.

• Like 5

How come the grass on Chernarus and other European maps now use Altis grass? I like the Chernarussian grass better - it makes the terrain more unique

Bumping for an answer 

Also a fan of the original Chernarus grass, it's not the same without those ragged brown weeds. Not bothered for myself, I can readily mod it back in (and did when AiA switched to A3 clutter) but thought I'd add my voice to that of those who appreciate seeing the maps improved while retaining their distinct characteristics.

• Like 5

Bumping for an answer 

Do not bump your own posts please. Or others, for the matter. In fact, no bumping at all.

• Like 1

Do not bump your own posts please. Or others, for the matter. In fact, no bumping at all.

The rules say "do not bump threads." I don't think my question counts as a thread

The rules say "do not bump threads." I don't think my question counts as a thread

To be more precise: WE don't want YOU to bump your posts in OUR thread.

When we feel like answering your question  rest assured that we will do so.

• Like 2

Also a fan of the original Chernarus grass, it's not the same without those ragged brown weeds. Not bothered for myself, I can readily mod it back in (and did when AiA switched to A3 clutter) but thought I'd add my voice to that of those who appreciate seeing the maps improved while retaining their distinct characteristics.

Grass was just taken 1:1 from AiA and nobody changed it since than. Also AFAIK it is not the same clutter class as Altis. That would look much different.

And please keep in mind that "upgrading" the clutter p3ds itself is not so easy without drastically changing the appearance.

And to be honest: I wouldn't want to restore Chernarus grass 1:1 as it was unplayable high. A complete new clutter mix that resembles the old one but with a lower profile would be better.

• Like 1

Did I say anything about forum rules? I just asked you politely to not bump posts. You don't need to come up with any rules, it was a request by me, a polite request, so there is no need to slap me with a forum rule. If you bump your posts, you will decrease the likelihood of getting your question answered. It's a matter of common curtsy.

Thank you for your understanding.

Did I say anything about forum rules? I just asked you politely to not bump posts. You don't need to come up with any rules, it was a request by me, a polite request, so there is no need to slap me with a forum rule. If you bump your posts, you will decrease the likelihood of getting your question answered. It's a matter of common curtsy.

As Alwarren said it was merely a polite request, i would heed his request. 

• Like 1

Sorry, didn't know you were a cup developer (even though it's on your sig :\) and I thought you were just referring to the rules

About tanoa depedency - i will, never buy it (apex), as i'm not interested in futurealistic hardware like this on photo below, so please, please, please do not create such depedency.
BTW they just "killed" most iconic heli - MI-24.....13403899_571877082990426_974182522658566