CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Terrains

Oh god, don't do that. Arma 2's lighting was atrocious. Dull and flat looking. Prior to using the excellent CUP terrain pack I was using the A3MP mod. I loved that the latter used Altis lighting configs on the Arma 2 maps. It made everything look a lot more vibrant and realistic. 

afaik the general perception was that a3 lighting made especially chernarus look inappropriate, also the config for afghan maps was created with great emphasis on realism, but as you can see with the preceeding request about authentic a2 lighting (wich would be possible to have in cup btw), its not easy to reconcile everyones perception.

Honestly I thought the changes made the lighting look less realistic. Real life isnt brown. Don't get me wrong I understand what the team was trying to do, but clear weather conditions should mean blue skies. Dust/sand particles don't just magically manifest themselves in the air. I mean if people are hellbent on getting that brownish tint to their game, there's always that post processing module option. 

Honestly I thought the changes made the lighting look less realistic. Real life isnt brown. Don't get me wrong I understand what the team was trying to do, but clear weather conditions should mean blue skies. Dust/sand particles don't just magically manifest themselves in the air. I mean if people are hellbent on getting that brownish tint to their game, there's always that post processing module option. 

thank you for your feedback, im sure future iterations of CUP lighting will approach these things from a new angle

This would be an Isla Duala not a CUP problem. 

Indeed. Also icebreakr is aware of this and will most likely fix it in an future update.

• Like 1

This would be an Isla Duala not a CUP problem. 

sorry for my bad english :S

thats problem is fixed  ;-)

my server has not load the cup mods ( @CUP Terrains - Core;@CUP Terrains - Maps  editing to @cup_terrains_core ) server starts with the new parameter.

but next problem

Warning Message: You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.cup_terrains_ca_data

Whats the possibility of having the mod being updated just with a meta.cpp for workshop support? Or will it work if I create it my self?

Whats the possibility of having the mod being updated just with a meta.cpp for workshop support? Or will it work if I create it my self?

The other parts (Weapons, Units, Vehicles) already have meta.cpp, and the next version of the Terrains will have it as well

• Like 1

Are you guys working on the black-looking, glitchy water and the little white garages that don't open?

We can't fix the black water. That is up to BI. We had to make the choice of having glitchy water or none at all.

What white garages? Is there a ticket?

The other parts (Weapons, Units, Vehicles) already have meta.cpp, and the next version of the Terrains will have it as well

I know thats why i asked so I have to wait for the next release? Or can i create it on my own? I know this is a sin but how long till next release?

I know thats why i asked so I have to wait for the next release? Or can i create it on my own? I know this is a sin but how long till next release?

One million seconds! 

Dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

• Like 7

Hi, quick question why do all the maps play that ocean sound over and over again it's ruining my IMMERSION :P  

But seriously that ocean sound is constantly playing no matter which island for me or how far inland or if it even contains water.  

• Like 1

Hi, quick question why do all the maps play that ocean sound over and over again it's ruining my IMMERSION :P

But seriously that ocean sound is constantly playing no matter which island for me or how far inland or if it even contains water.

I'm not noticing this.

I heard a long time ago some map's sounds would carry over to all maps when not using the conventional @map system. Are all of your maps other than the ones packed with the CUP Terrains Pack in their own @folder? Sounds to me like your Arma sound files have been overwritten somehow. Just a guess though.

Perhaps verify the integrity of the game cache?

• Like 1

I'm not noticing this.

I heard a long time ago some map's sounds would carry over to all maps when not using the conventional @map system. Are all of your maps other than the ones packed with the CUP Terrains Pack in their own @folder? Sounds to me like your Arma sound files have been overwritten somehow. Just a guess though.

Perhaps verify the integrity of the game cache?

Thanks for the response, I'll have to verify, I am running JSRS Eden as well could be it.  

Thanks for the response, I'll have to verify, I am running JSRS Eden as well could be it.  

I had a similar issue the other day where I had incredibly loud birds yelling at me (and I wasn't running N'swago).  After reloading A3 a bunch of times adjusting my launcher items, I found it was one of the older Afghan maps (I'm still not sure which one).  It was NOT JSRS Eden (or CUP).

• Like 1

Is anyone still having this issue-I was using AiATP with the ascz  map fixes pack which fixed the FATA map so that it had ambient sound again.I believe they used Stratis sound files? Anyway-on switching to CUP,  FATA is once again totally silent.

I am not sure why as I believe CUP contains the ascz fixes in it-does it? I tried running CUP with ascz to see if that would help but all it does is add a satellite map for the FATA loading screen.

So what this mans for me is I cannot use FATA at all unless I stick with AiATP. Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks

• Like 1

Is anyone still having this issue-I was using AiATP with the ascz map fixes pack which fixed the FATA map so that it had ambient sound again.I believe they used Stratis sound files? Anyway-on switching to CUP, FATA is once again totally silent.

I am not sure why as I believe CUP contains the ascz fixes in it-does it? I tried running CUP with ascz to see if that would help but all it does is add a satellite map for the FATA loading screen.

So what this mans for me is I cannot use FATA at all unless I stick with AiATP. Anyone have any suggestions?Thanks

I'm glad you brought this up. Been sharing some of my missions privately before release (FATA is one of the maps) and been getting asked over and over if they're compatible with CUP (I made most of them with AiA).

I'd love to know the answer to this too. Obviously, no sound is a no go. Also, while we're at it...

Could I get some clarification on whether to expect my missions on non-official A2 community made maps to be pretty much backwards compatible? I get that maps like Takistan should be (it should be, right?), but what about Reshmaan Province (which requires Mad Build) and Isola Di Capraia and as mentioned, maps like FATA or what about A2 Sangin?

I know it isn't cut and dry because for instance, CLAfghan has this awful water bug which is not present when using AiA.

It's to the point where most people don't want to play AiA made missions which I totally understandable but it's just not clear to me how this AiA to CUP process is designed to work or how community made A2 maps will work with CUP.

Could we get a list of community made A2 maps which the team has checked that for the most part work well with CUP and some clarification on backwards compatibility?

EDIT: I don't mean to sound upset or whatever. I'm not and totally love and respect the work the remarkable CUP teams does. I'm just totally lost here. I swear to you I had someone with one of my AiA missions PM me saying that eventually, BIS will put out an update and all of my missions will be totally broken unless I convert them to CUP while I have the chance. Then reading about FATA and sound problems makes this whole process make my head spin.

I also am not complaining-I am amazed by the amount of work the CUP team does.They are incredibly dedicated and a credit to our community. I am just curious about the sound issue and what the reason for it working with AiA + ascz fixes and not with CUP is.

• Like 2

ASCZ fixes are indeed part of CUP TP but I am not sure the fixes for community maps are included aswell. I will check that.

On the other hand it is more likely a configuration problem from FATA itself (maybe a bug that only came to surface in A3). Other maps from A2 work splendid with CUP TP Core without such problems.

The small CUP TP team has a lot of work to do with the official BI maps and upgrading/fixing all the vanilla assets. We can't start retrofixing bugs in community maps. This is more likely a task for the maps author or somebody else that wants to create a hotfix/patch that works together with CUP TP (just like ASCZ did for AiA).

Regarding HeroesandvillainsOS question: All mission that work in A2 and AiA work with CUP TP (aslong as there are no bugs in the terrains itself that make them incompatible to A3). It is simply: Terrains use p3ds pathes for the objects. CUP TP Core ships the p3ds from A2 (including updates, upgrades and fixes) and thus the A2 terrains are able to load in A3. That has nothing to do with missions. When they are scripted/designed in a way A3 can read them, they will work.

• Like 2

While we're politely and respectfully discussing potential bugs and omissions, I can't be the only person who isn't seeing surface effects (i.e. dust from land vehicle wheels) on CUP terrains, or am I?

• Like 1

ASCZ fixes are indeed part of CUP TP but I am not sure the fixes for community maps are included aswell. I will check that.

On the other hand it is more likely a configuration problem from FATA itself (maybe a bug that only came to surface in A3). Other maps from A2 work splendid with CUP TP Core without such problems.

The small CUP TP team has a lot of work to do with the official BI maps and upgrading/fixing all the vanilla assets. We can't start retrofixing bugs in community maps. This is more likely a task for the maps author or somebody else that wants to create a hotfix/patch that works together with CUP TP (just like ASCZ did for AiA).

Regarding HeroesandvillainsOS question: All mission that work in A2 and AiA work with CUP TP (aslong as there are no bugs in the terrains itself that make them incompatible to A3). It is simply: Terrains use p3ds pathes for the objects. CUP TP Core ships the p3ds from A2 (including updates, upgrades and fixes) and thus the A2 terrains are able to load in A3. That has nothing to do with missions. When they are scripted/designed in a way A3 can read them, they will work.

Ok! Thank you. Not sure if this is a question for the ALiVE team or not, but generally speaking, my missions made on Reshmaan Province and Isalo Di Capraia (and hopefully after you check it out, FATA) should port over fully to CUP right now without having to worry about breaking them or any additional tinkering on my end (such as resetting base objects like chairs, Arsenal boxes, etc)? The maps all work perfectly perfect with AiA right now. It's just most people don't want to play the missions since they consider "AiA obsolete" which as I said, is totally understandable.

And thanks for looking into the FATA bug. :) But just so we're clear, ASCZ map fixes currently fixes the sound issue using AiA so I'd guess it's that the fixes for community maps that didn't make it into CUP.

any ETA on updating BI maps to bring them into line with the April visual update?

Love your work :m:

While we're politely and respectfully discussing potential bugs and omissions, I can't be the only person who isn't seeing surface effects (i.e. dust from land vehicle wheels) on CUP terrains, or am I?

Ditto, It actually gives me debug errors about the effects being missing.

any ETA on updating BI maps to bring them into line with the April visual update?

The visual update is not even released.

I can't imagine the outcry if we would release a CUP TP update that only works with devbranch ;)

• Like 1

Ditto, It actually gives me debug errors about the effects being missing.

Ticket?

Hey, does anyone know how to fix CUP objects from not having simulation in the editor? For example, I've placed down rail_station_big, gate_ind2b_l, and gate_ind2b_r but I haven't been able to open any of them.

Edit: Yes, before anyone asks, simulation is enabled.