CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Terrains

Huu, i cant find a thread for CUP vehicles.

And im sorry, its not called 5T truck, its MTVR.

And yes its in A2 vanilla, and its a truck.

So no its not an island...

This is the correct thread here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/179326-community-upgrade-project-cup(found when using the forum search ;)) 

Sorry if answered already. On my phone and cbf searching.

Does cup terrains in its current state fix the ground texture (bug?) That was introduced in one of the recent a3 patches? If not will it be fixed in next update?

Can provide screenshot later if needed.

Cheers

Which ground texture bug do you mean? Haven't seen anything about a bug recently?

Which ground texture bug do you mean? Haven't seen anything about a bug recently?

I suppose he refers to the fixes required for the parallax mapping to work without the "wobble".

If so, the answer is no, no ETA on that.

These map map is great, i love to see A2 maps on A3.

However, i found a serious problem.
The arma 3
doesn't  consider these A2 buldings to buliding.
It is not a big deal, but if i generate ai to buliding i isn't working.
Also new sounds(echos) not work well, because the game not know it is a building or trees, so it can't generate right echos.

I think if you link back these custom buldings and trees on the config to a3 building
and trees it will work
perfectly.
example: class your_building : default {}; ---> class your_building : any_arma3_buliding_class {};

I found that grass and trees have a big impact on performance when antialiasing enabled (especially 8x) and in zoomed view (RMB). There is no issue on Altis/Startis. Looks like BI changed something in rvmats or smth.

I think if you link back these custom buldings and trees on the config to a3 building and trees it will work perfectly.

example: class your_building : default {}; ---> class your_building : any_arma3_buliding_class {};

Except they will look completely out of place. I don't think Chernarus will be quite the same with Greek buildings.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

• Like 1

I found that grass and trees have a big impact on performance when antialiasing enabled (especially 8x) and in zoomed view (RMB). There is no issue on Altis/Startis. Looks like BI changed something in rvmats or smth.

That problem dates back to Arma 2, it's very specifically the orange autumn trees that have issues. Might get fixed eventually, when there is time.

• Like 2

Except they will look completely out of place. I don't think Chernarus will be quite the same with Greek buildings.

I think Chernarus never will work perfectly, but OA island will.(Some OA buildings is working already)

I can think of two things:

1. the A3 buldings and trees have a new lod in model.

2. BIS add some new parameter for buildings in script so the default "house_f" class is not generate echo and don't work some script with it perfectly.

The second is more likely.

I hope i was right because easiest to fix config than models, and also i hope it will be fixed, I'd be greatful.

edit:

Thanks for lappihuan I got answer for that.

The arma 3 building models have an roadway lod, the new sound echo system depends that lod.

The arma 3 building models have an roadway lod, the new sound echo system depends that lod.

Even Arma 1 models had roadway LOD's,, they need some modification to mark them as "inside" for the sound effects to work. However, this requires manpower. We don't have enough people to take this on, so we have to prioritize things, and as long as the stuff basically "works", we're not likely to touch it right now.

I know this is far from being a good situation, and I certainly wish it was otherwise, and we could add interiors to all of the buildings etc. But that's sadly not on the table right now.

As for replacing the buildings, that isn't really an option since custom user maps rely on these buildings as well. Finding suitable replacements is not a trivial task; it isn't sufficient to just have them look "okay", especially on Takistan, some buildings and walls are very close together and overlap can completely ruin things. It's not going to happen.

I hope we will one day be able to fix all the buildings. I hope we will be able to add interiors to all of them. However, as I said, we don't have enough people for that.

• Like 2

This may be the wrong place to ask this, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Does anyone know of a way to get ArmA 2 terrains working in ArmA 3 with the proper keys? I've attempted to throw Fallujah and Podagorsk up on my server, with the keys that come with them... but it doesn't appear to be reading them, possibly because they are A2 server keys. Any ideas?

I just want to say: that new Phabricator you are using is a complete mess. I can't find anything I wont, and I the UI is sooo ugly. I hate when web apps try to look modern and sacrifice nearly all usability just so there can be some shadows and nice borders. Rubbish. I don't need a list of bugs to look good. I need it to look very readable and easy to overview.

This just piles all the tasks together in one stupid looking long list. I am not stupid, and I know my way around computers. yet after 10 minutes I could not figure out how to do the most simple task of displaying all the bugs for cup terrains.

Moving to phabricator was a very poor choice indeed.

I just want to say: that new Phabricator you are using is a complete mess. I can't find anything I wont, and I the UI is sooo ugly. I hate when web apps try to look modern and sacrifice nearly all usability just so there can be some shadows and nice borders. Rubbish. I don't need a list of bugs to look good. I need it to look very readable and easy to overview.

This just piles all the tasks together in one stupid looking long list. I am not stupid, and I know my way around computers. yet after 10 minutes I could not figure out how to do the most simple task of displaying all the bugs for cup terrains.

The choice wasn't dictated by pretty graphics, but by the fact that it is the same platform we use for our internal stuff, so we only need one account, we only have to check a single website, and we can reference and move tickets where it's easier for us to find them.

• Like 1

What Charborne said. Phabricator is more than just the issue tracker, for us, it is also the frontend to our SVN and all our internal documentation.

TBH, I don't get the argument of "stupid looking long list". That is how all issue trackers work. You can edit the query and exclude/include project, statuses, author, etc, just like with any other issue tracker.

Internally, our SVN commits can refer to tickets and vice versa. It's a great tool for developers, and in no way worse than Mantis.

Apparently, you had never had to work with Bugzilla ;)

• Like 1

Moving to phabricator was a very poor choice indeed. This just piles all the tasks together in one stupid looking long list. I am not stupid, and I know my way around computers. yet after 10 minutes I could not figure out how to do the most simple task of displaying all the bugs for cup terrains.

Phabricator is an awesome tool und has much better usability than any other bugtracker I know (Bugzilla, JIRA, Redmine). You clearly haven't invested the 2 minutes to look for the CUP Terrains buglist. Click the "CUP Terrains" Project and you get a dasboard with the sorted, public terrain ticket:http://dev.cup-arma3.org/project/view/2/. Much simpler than bugzilla (and you can also edit the buglist query JUST LIKE in bugzilla).

I also can't find the effects and shadows you are talking about. For me phabricator looks like a clean and sleek UI build ontop of bootstrap. Maybe you are visiting the wrong side? :P

@alanford: I have no idea what your problem with Phabricator is, it is one of the best project management systems out there and its functionality goes far beyond simple issue tracking.

BTW, we didn't move to Phabricator, we worked on Phabricator all the time. Only the public bug tracker was on Mantis - and it was a PITA to maintain two bug trackers. Now everything is in one place and you can even see what we are currently doing.

Just an example of how it looks for us devs:

kPqEl8Y.png

I thought once jbad buildings was done/updated you guys were going to replace the buildings it used on a2 maps?

• Like 4

First off, thanks for the CUP Terrains :)

I have a few questions -

Does the new CUP Terrains have editor selectable and place-able A2 buildings that have functional doors?

If I have AiA TP installed and active, would there be a conflict with AiA objects if I tried to run CUP Terrains Core (just to get the new objects)?

Thanks

First off, thanks for the CUP Terrains :)

I have a few questions -

Does the new CUP Terrains have editor selectable and place-able A2 buildings that have functional doors?

If I have AiA TP installed and active, would there be a conflict with AiA objects if I tried to run CUP Terrains Core (just to get the new objects)?

Thanks

Just run CUP or AIA not both.

Got it, thanks.

Still would like to know if there are editor found CUP Arma 2 buildings that can be placed which have functional doors, right now for me all I have is AiA Arma 2 buildings accessed through Map Builder where they do not have functional doors.

Got it, thanks.

Still would like to know if there are editor found CUP Arma 2 buildings that can be placed which have functional doors, right now for me all I have is AiA Arma 2 buildings accessed through Map Builder where they do not have functional doors.

CUP Terrains uses the Map Builder AiA object config (was a quick way to make CUP TP Map Builder compatibel). So: No, as of now editor object just have a dummy config without anims like doors and glass. But we have this problem on our list.

Thanks for the info Neo.

I personally wouldn't see it as a "problem", as it is very nice that you guys have continued the project forward in providing the content from A2 regardless of this/that missing - I personally prefer all of the Arma2 content over A3 so AiA/Cup has kept Arma 3 on my system.

Since DayZ will be fully moddable maybe Bi will provide a liscense that will allow to use the resources for modding other BI games like A3 too...this could bring interiors to all Chernarus buildings (one can dream)