Sign in to follow this  
mfcti

Mf conquer the island

mfcti, the mission is fantastic. Especially the fact it can be played with only one player. While playing offline I had no problems even after playing for over six hours. I have a couple of suggestion that I think may improve game play. See what you think.

Would it be possible to:

1) have the leader of a team respawn into a player in his squad. this would be similar to the "respawn = group" used in many MP missions. To me this would be more satisfying as having to wait for the leader to respawn near the MCU and then get back to the location where he was killed tends to slow the game down;

2) "reveal" enemy on the map when they are detected by any team. This would allow you to assess where the enemy is staging a large attack instead of just a single soldier; and

3) allow the commander to access the control center while he is away from the building. At present being the commander means that you cannot really participate in battles unless you want to place control centers every where. I would look at it as the commander being able to radio in his commands.

Any of the above suggestion could be made options that could be toggled in a menu somewhere (eg before the mission starts).

Thanks for a great game. As a software engineer I appreciate the time, effort, complexity and debugging that is involved in developing this mission.

smile.gif

I have some ideas on how to implement a respawn as one of the troops under your command but need to experiment with it.

Revealing units is on the list of new features I would like to add.

Remotely controlling the Control Center could be added easily enough but I am concerned about game balance. Right now the Command menu is the equivalent of radioing orders. Think of the Control Center as an abstraction of handling the bureaucracy for upgrading and buying equipment and troops. The commander needs to be present to handle these higher functions but can issue troops commands from the field. This also prevents the commander from being too powerful in an MP game.

I am interested in feedback from players on issues like this. I'm trying to balance things out and could benefit from the majority's opinion.

Hi mfcti,

I've had three or four fun games playing your mission with two other players. With all the units, we've had to use a spare computer as a dedicated server, though it slows down substantially as the game progresses. I think this lag leads to a lot of the trouble we have controlling the AI squads after playing for a couple of hours. Would this make sense? They just seem to ignore commands after a while.

I read earlier you have fixed the repair truck, and I can confirm I was unable to get the "Repair truck options" with the repair truck in the current patch as either a commander or a squad leader (though I swear I saw it once as commander I couldn't repeat it).

The ability to respawn your squad leader as a remaining member of its squad would be welcome. Too many times I have helplessly watched a squad attack a town with the squad leader blindly leading round a corner into waiting resistance troops. Bang, down goes the squad leader, then it respawns all the way back at base and you have to spend the next ten minutes relinking up the leader with what's left of his squad.

I really enjoy playing as commander, but tried being squad leader yesterday and found that enjoyable as well. When you're commander, you just send hapless squads off to cap a town with little afterthought smile.gif , but when you are squad leader, every town is an tense battle.

All the changes you reported in your upcoming patch sound great, looking forward to it!

as i said before: a great mission  biggrin.gif

but i have another complaint and that is the LOCK/UNLOCK feature of the mobile-hq... it seems that it only works the first time (unlock).

this results into two really annoing things:

- unexperienced teammates go to battle with it

and

- the enemy steals it and drives it far from your base before destroying it, leaving you to respawn in the middle of nowere

would be great if you could really lock up your hq...

I'm afraid I haven't been able to duplicate the lock problem but we have noticed that there can be a delay at times before it locks. I'll keep my eyes open for it.

The new version has just been released (v0.99). There are a lot less bugs and many new small features. At this point I am now working on the non-beta version and plan on releasing it on Nogova. After that I'll release a map pack. If anyone wants to put the latest on their site email me and I'll send you a copy.

Where is v.99 currently being hosted?

Also, any plans for a single player version? I would de-pbo it and convert but I haven't found a reliable de-pbo'er that I can fit on a floppy. confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lt_Damage @ Nov. 22 2002,05:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">New version now available to download from WOLF site.

Download here<span id='postcolor'>

Thnx for the host

Looks like I wasted another night when I should have been sleeping. Here are some of the new features that have been added to what I hope will be the non-beta version:

-Player queue allowing players to build multiple items in factories and barracks.

-Players can now transfer funds amongst each other.

-Option menu where players can view or delete queue entries, set waypoints, etc.

Soon to be added:

-Option to turn random music on/off.

-Units spotted by team leaders are revealed on map to all on same side.

-I have duplicated the MHQ lock bug and am looking into it.

Exellent! I got it in my mail I'll try to have it mirrored asap smile.gif Is there any chance of you adding some unofficial addons from around the place to the non-beta version?... Highest quality of course =D

This mod just gets better and better. Awesome job!!

Actually I've had a special version that uses about a dozen different addons including vehicles and guns for a long time...;) CTI has been designed to easily allow custom addons. When the non-beta is finished I intend to release a version of this as well and encourage user modifications. If anyone has requests for their favorite weapon/vehicle addons let me know. Keep in mind that the east and west should remain balanced in power.

a nam pack on la trang.. not so much to hold.. LZ's and airport.. perhaps the old jungle everon.. what did you have in mind?

Would love to play a nam CTI with like the NVA travles mostly on foot and USA in choppers. I would like play NVA but think i am pretty alone in that opinion..

from a quick glance ive seen at least 20 places to have as capture points, mainly LZ's, not all are marked on the map (only a couple are), theres also small villages/farms or the SF base (this is from the new version, they might not all be on the old one), there could also be some stolen choppers on the NVA/VC side, maybe just something like a loach((oh-6) although this would probably need to cost a hell of a lot to show the trouble it would have taken to get one), its definately something that would work, there are vehicles/weapons/men from the vietnam era, it wouldnt need a single modern day unit (not including things like repair trucks), its also a pretty large island, probably about the same size as nogova, also with the amphibious apcs/tanks and boats the two runway islands could be used, also ship yards etc, theres also vietnam style buildings that could be used for all the different factories

i don't think that first, the bugs have to be removed, later other islands and some addons added

yesterday i played with my friend together against the AI,

it was very hard for us ;-) because we couldn't destroy their base completly, my friend managed to get me over their base an i ejected :-) i had some satchels and used them, blew up some buildings, but i didn't manage to blow them all, then a enemy squad was very angry and them killed me,

we also tried a paradrop (chinook: 24 men drop) on the 1st version (everon) and we won :-) they didn't have a change

I really like this map and we love it!!

but later game the game starts to lag :-( that sucks (ok i have to admit my pc isn't the best :-) :

PIII 733, 128RAM, GF2 MX 400)

Can someone please explain wot this MOD is about?

12 pages is too many posts to look through for an explanation biggrin.gif

also, how come i never seen it mentioned on ofp.info or anything?

In this MOD you can create a base with a simple menu, you most take cities for income and with the cash you get you can buy units and vehicles!

Just download the map, play and have fun

Should not this thread be in User Missions forum? I just happen to be here looking for full mods, but this like normal mission from what I seen when play.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tanaska @ Dec. 01 2002,20:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Should not this thread be in User Missions forum?  I just happen to be here looking for full mods, but this like normal mission from what I seen when play.<span id='postcolor'>

Nope...its a mod not a mission as it turns OFP into a RTS type game. It's not like any "normal" mission as far as I've ever seen!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Leone @ Dec. 02 2002,05:28)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">It's not like any "normal" mission as far as I've ever seen!<span id='postcolor'>

RTS3 has the new interface in it .......