Sign in to follow this  
Agent_Orange

Editor : How to place units on the top floor of a building?

Hi all,

I am new to the ARMA series and cannot work out how to add units to the top floor of a building.

When looking at a building on the Editor map all I see is a big grey area with no details of the rooms inside or the floors that it has.

So, when I add a static weapon it always is placed on the ground or ground floor when I actually want it to be placed on the top floor, overlooking something.

Can someone please tell me or point me to a tutorial that shows how to add units to buildings that have more than one floor, say a Cargo Tower or Cargo Post for example and have those units show up on the top floor and not on at the base of the tower, on the ground where they are useless.

Thanks for any assistane that can be provided.

In the unit properties window there is a height setting which you can adjust.  You can also add some code to the init of a unit like: 

this setPos [getPos this select 0, getPos this select 1, 20]

Where 20 is the height in meters.  This still won't help for exact placement in the editor - you'll need to do a lot of previewing :)

You also have the option of using Zeus to place the units.

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your help SavageCDN,

I have found that a good height to place units on the very top level of a Military Cargo Tower is 18 metres and have been able to squeeze a IFV-6a Cheetah on top of a Military Cargo HQ (using a height of 3 metres).

You are right when you say that you will need to do a lot of previewing - I think it took about 6 attempts to place one raised static HMG in exactly the position that I wanted it.

Thanks again for your assistance.

No need to do a lot of previewing. Place a playable unit on desired position at approximate height. Write to its init: 

this addAction ["Show current height ATL", {systemChat format ["Current height ATL: %1", (getPosATL (_this select 0)) select 2]}];

You will have action "Show current height ATL" which when activated will write your current height above the terrain level (ATL). You can use this value later for (almost) precise positioning.