emton

Can I run dedciated server and also play on that server with the same PC?

Quick n00bie question I was wondering before I try, is it possible to setup a dedicated windows server and then also use it to play on with the same computer?

erm missread question ... Dunno...

Edit : Ok... Answer to the Topic title is Yes. Answer to the posted question is Erm Dunno.

Yes.

The trick is to use the dedicated server package from Steam Tools to run the dedi and you can run your game on the same machine. You can even run a headless client off the dedicated server install.

you can do all three, using either cmd files or shortcuts to launch the server and HC, then just steam for your own client

Unless you have a hex core cpu or greater though, you would be better running a client hosted server. This is where your client hosts the mission

You would need a very good connection with plenty of upload and one hell of a meaty machine to do a dedi and a client

The trouble I'm having is getting the ports open and I can't figure out why. I've even tried putting the router in DMZ mode, turning off windows firewall. I've tried turning off extra security on the router. When the server is running, using a port check website for port 2302 I get "connection refused". If I turn on windows firewall I get "connection timed out" (so I know that has some effect)

I'm on windows 8.1 any suggestion about a windows system setting I might be overlooking.

Please can a pr0-L3v3L router guy help me out?

I think some of the traffic is ideed making it through some of the ports. However when I refresh the Arma Internet server list these entries show up in the router log:

ipprot=1 icmp_type=3 icmp_code=3 ICMP Dest Unreachable, session terminated

I'm assuming these are the Steam servers having trouble communicating. But I'm pretty sure I have all the ports I need. I'll try in DMZ mode again, if anyone has an idea that would help this is driving me nuts.

Edit: Ok I think I narrowed it down to the router's extra security features. Now when I refresh I don't get these errors. However I never see the server in the list (not sure if I'm suppossed to) nor will port scan websites show any ports as open (more router security feature?)

Unless you have a hex core cpu or greater though, you would be better running a client hosted server. This is where your client hosts the mission

You would need a very good connection with plenty of upload and one hell of a meaty machine to do a dedi and a client

This, of course, depends on how many clients will connect to that server. In a small 2/3 clients, it better to do the dedi on the same PC trick, to get a better framerate in the client hosting the game. I use it all the time.

I finally got the server to show up in the Internet list by checking "Strict UDP session control" in advanced firewall options for the router...