sgt_savage

The Unsung Vietnam War Mod v3.0 - ALPHA Released !!!

Nettrucker inspired me to have a look at the A2 Unsung maps with CUP Terrains. They do look pretty good. I just ran around and explored, no real test. One thing for sure, most of the maps have a conflict of some sort or have something missing because reloading saved games fails on most of the maps. My favorite map, SEA is one of the ones that failed.

I for one will wait until the Unsung Team release more maps specifically for A3 (either as new content like DaKrong, or updated A2 versions). In the long run I know it will save me a lot of headaches. DaKrong has a lot of variety and replay ability, I see it occupying my time for a while yet.

I've tested a bit more. The save game issue seems to be related to the cup terrains at least for me. I can't even manual save it's greyed out. Did the same thing with AIA terrains and the save game works perfectly.

I was able to save on all the maps while using CUP terrains but was only able to reload the save on a few of the maps.

Whatever the cause, various different mods loaded causing different compatibility errors, I'm sure most of it will be sorted out if/when the maps are properly ported. I liked AiA, I used it for a long time but it is retired in favour of CUP Terrains (because it is supported), they have also worked out the pond issue which is important on some of the Vietnam maps.

I was able to save on all the maps while using CUP terrains but was only able to reload the save on a few of the maps.

Whatever the cause, various different mods loaded causing different compatibility errors, I'm sure most of it will be sorted out if/when the maps are properly ported. I liked AiA, I used it for a long time but it is retired in favour of CUP Terrains (because it is supported), they have also worked out the pond issue which is important on some of the Vietnam maps.

I checked on every map the save game. Nothings wrong here on my side. Did verify my cache integrity after messing around so much and it works on all maps with Cup terrain. No more problems here. Try to verify you cache integrity and retry the save on SEA. I couldn't detect anything wrong. The only map which has problems IMHO is Cao Bang: I'm encountering heavy flickering and artifacts on my screen. It's the only terrain which does not work from scratch.

cheers

Lowlands has white triangle artifacts on the steep ridges and sea has doubled vegetation which stresses the engine and Ia Drang Valley has poorly optimised foliage so you can ctd if you have viewdistance over 2000

Id love to get those fixed if we could somehow unwrap the maps and be able to edit them

Lowlands has white triangle artifacts on the steep ridges and sea has doubled vegetation which stresses the engine and Ia Drang Valley has poorly optimised foliage so you can ctd if you have viewdistance over 2000

Id love to get those fixed if we could somehow unwrap the maps and be able to edit them

Hi eggbeast

I trust your judgement on this. I checked especially Lowlands, SEA and IA Drang Valley. I couldn't find anything wrong with it for being honest. I went to the more steeper places on lowlands but didn't see any white triangles. Also SEA Visually it's impossible for me to determine if there's double vegetation. I took a short video on all 3 islands I encountered some white artifacts only on IA Drang as you will notice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SufKZ788_v8

I took also a look at the tool Dimitri posted. It should be possible to unwrap the islands with it. Well in any case good luck.

BTW I tried also the AA UNSUNG islands. That was a major disaster from start. Heavy flickering and artifacts all over the place. I did import successfully two Armed Assault terrains into ArmA 3 which is Sahrani Winter and Schmallfelden, both terrains work without problems without me doing anything.

I still find it encouraging. With a bit of work it should be possible to bring the UNSUNG 2.6 Island to ArmA 3.

The Island included in A3 UNSUNG is really beautiful. My kudos.

Cheers

well we'd be happy to have you come help us (again!)

or maybe someone can volunteer to work on porting SEA and Cao Bang...?

you can tell when you have double vegetation - drive a m113 gently into a tree and watch, as it collapses you will see 2 trees fall.

that's why the vegetation is so damn tough on SEA map

Its actually doubled up in the furthest north east side of the map only. I noted this years ago and told the author of the map CSJ but it was already done. The Ground texture on sea needs to be recolored or updated it doesn't match the foliage it seems washed out .. :P

thanks sav, so good to have your long memory in the team!

well we'd be happy to have you come help us (again!)

or maybe someone can volunteer to work on porting SEA and Cao Bang...?

you can tell when you have double vegetation - drive a m113 gently into a tree and watch, as it collapses you will see 2 trees fall.

that's why the vegetation is so damn tough on SEA map

I thank you for your kind invitation, but I really don't know how to help you guys. I'm not a modder and I've never been part of a modding team due to RL issues. To be of any help I would need some modding or addon making skills which I do not have. My understanding of configs and all the rest which you guys know, is practically non existent. First and last attempt of terrain editing dates back to OFP times with wrptool. I would need to learn everything from scratch to help with the Islands. Furthermore I'm not reliable due to real life issues which we all have. I dedicate my time to ArmA only when I can and lately that wasn't very often. I was absent from the forum since ArmA 3 went Alpha I got ArmA 3 for 1 month now and I still have to discover a lot of things which are different to ArmA 2.  I would be rather a hindrance then a valuable asset. Trust me on this. I'm sure of your understanding.

I try to support you guys as much as I can because I'm a big fan of UNSUNG and you guys. But I'm looking forward to do some ArmA 3 UNSUNG multiplayer from time to time.

cheers

I am very interested in learning to mod. Is there some place to start? Some information that gets a person going in the right direction?

I have an IT back ground but hadn't coded in years, like riding a bike...right, lol. Seriously though, it isn't just code and syntax but knowing what the Arma elements are that you are attempting to work with that brings the mod to life.

I am very interested in learning to mod. Is there some place to start? Some information that gets a person going in the right direction?

I have an IT back ground but hadn't coded in years, like riding a bike...right, lol. Seriously though, it isn't just code and syntax but knowing what the Arma elements are that you are attempting to work with that brings the mod to life.

Best place to start is the Editing section on this forum: I'm sure there are stickies covering every aspect. From terrains to modelling 3d objects, coding. It depends on what you would like to get into.

cheers

well if you want experience we have a ton of stuff that needs doing in this project

if you have skype, add me rgraham.ld

we can coach you through some boring but repetetive modding tasks so you start to pick up the formats and tool basics

it would sure help us out too

having an IT background is essential as you need to be able to organise files and paths, while you work, always thinking about modularity and what-if's

and the tools require some DOS command-line faffing

then there's knowing how important backups are, and using a group SVN to manage versions.

and also knowing what raw materials you can work with - the BIS models, other assets, code etc.

once you're modding, there's plenty of bug finding - making scenarios to test and refine models, scripts, etc

in terms of actual modding activity well that depends on your skills, ambitions, etc

island building, vehicle/unit/weapon modeling, sound and textures are more creative arts

scripting, debugging, testing and configs are more of a science

we also do plenty of historical research, which is more of a humanity subject!

mission building is very creative, but also code intensive

and we invent stuff - which is a fusion of art and science!

it's very rewarding work.

well if you want experience we have a ton of stuff that needs doing in this project

if you have skype, add me rgraham.ld

we can coach you through some boring but repetetive modding tasks so you start to pick up the formats and tool basics

it would sure help us out too

Okay count me in. I can do the boring repetitive stuff and free up more experienced hands for the more creative and difficult stuff.

I will PM you.

I know this is early Alpha but i really want to know this for future updated to come. will the Weapons be updated to the arma 3 standard with all the animations and textures? and my other question is will the uniforms be modeled using the arma 3 ones?. 

I know this is early Alpha but i really want to know this for future updated to come. will the Weapons be updated to the arma 3 standard with all the animations and textures? and my other question is will the uniforms be modeled using the arma 3 ones?. 

Yes, all in due time

Okay count me in. I can do the boring repetitive stuff and free up more experienced hands for the more creative and difficult stuff.

I will PM you.

thx mate i replied - message us when you're ready to go

• Like 1

Can I just check with everyone?

When wearing an unsung uniform are you being killed with 1 shot from any weapon on any part of your body? As soon as I change into a non unsung uniform normal damage is back ie 1 to 2 shots in legs or arms don't i kill?

Just checking its not just me. Thanks

Are you using ACE3? I believe there's an issue with hit recognition & Unsung uniforms when using ACE3.

I've removed ace medical pbos because with ace medical unsung uniforms are tanks. Now though they are too weak as 9mm to feet or hand kills instantly. Even with no ace running at all its the same.

Happening for anyone else?

We now have a public server up for running Unsung Alpha, search for elite warriors, when steam is actually working lol.

All the other missions I looked at today are WIP and lacked basic stuff like a respawn_west, and an unsung only loadout manager so i thought fuck it i'll ressurrect my evolution co-op mission for da krong.

I'm about halfway done rewriting the Evolution mission.  then a bit of play and bug fixing to follow.

then we can have a long term sandbox mission on the server to play with all of the kit

key issues will be getting arsenal type thing working properly, and revive.  these two broke my brain last time around.

If you need help with arsenal and (I take it BIS revive) haull on me egg on ts and I'll put it in for you ;)

Had a play on the EW server last night using the Alpha and Zues was pritty fun, the jungle envrioment is ideal, cannot wait to see the infamus sniper trees and jungle traps implemented.

it would seem we need some underwater ops too :) once we have the PBR's :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Needlegun

ok so evo is kinda working - still a lot of scripts to fix, but we're having a ball with it today.

I added in one unarmed littlebird just so we had some air - kinda like a loach lol

some pics of todays fun

nam3_zpshxepngld.jpg

nam_zpsa5iiadm4.jpg

nam2_zpsatqinm0b.jpg

nam4_zpsysktv4bm.jpg

Thankfully Razorback showed up and explained where the tunnel system is - amazing work mate! truly amazing.

namcage_zpsqbmq0yep.jpg

• Like 2

awesome exploration of the island with razorback tonight - showing us around his amazing creation.

cliff_zps7zylint4.jpg

This map is simply the best combat terrain in armaverse ever. Feels 100% natural, loads of dead ground and cover, natural features, rivers, streams, cliffs, hills, culverts, villages and mountains.

You really feel like you're in Vietnam.  Then there are the easter-eggs everywhere to make the explorer coo in wonder.

cliff2_zpsmcuwyjjy.jpg

• Like 4