m0nkey

MKY Sandstorm script

Hmm. I will test this tonight and find out. Dedicated is only needed to get the wind data really, so that all clients wind is from same direction. But I will look into it.

I cannot remember why I used music. There was a reason at the time. 

This is AWESOME!!!! It work right of the Armaholic Dl....great FX!!!! Really add immersion in a WIP mission that I'm making. Just one VERY noobish question: can you stop the sandstorm mid mission?And if possible, how?

THANK you mOnkey for the great script man!

ps: I have in queque a SNOW mission...if you know what I mean..HAHAHAHAHAH

New version. Decided to start posting the release notes etc to the first page rather than buried in this thread lol.

You can stop the sandstorm actually. There are a few ways to do it but the easiest would be to set arSands_MKY = [5]; See the MKY_Sand_Client.sqf file for the details.

Also, the sample mission has 3 triggers that use different values. Check those out as well.

And yeah, snow works already (not in this mission though) but I am working my way to updating that.. real life keeps throwing me curves though ;)

• Like 1

Hi,

That's a great script.

Really interesting for some SpecOps operations in arid maps.

Do you think you'll released an addon module with parameters ?

New version. Decided to start posting the release notes etc to the first page rather than buried in this thread lol.

You can stop the sandstorm actually. There are a few ways to do it but the easiest would be to set arSands_MKY = [5]; See the MKY_Sand_Client.sqf file for the details.

Also, the sample mission has 3 triggers that use different values. Check those out as well.

And yeah, snow works already (not in this mission though) but I am working my way to updating that.. real life keeps throwing me curves though ;)

Thanks man!!I already used the triggers in the "old" version...and it's awesome how you can add or take away visibility on that map..... I'll DL new version and try it out...again..THANK YOU!!!

edit: Looks Great....but sorry, I'm too noob...how would I stop the sandstorm with a trigger, for example?

Thanks man!!I already used the triggers in the "old" version...and it's awesome how you can add or take away visibility on that map..... I'll DL new version and try it out...again..THANK YOU!!!

edit: Looks Great....but sorry, I'm too noob...how would I stop the sandstorm with a trigger, for example?

Every 15-30 seconds, on random, a new value is chosen. This value is housed in the arSands_MKY array. It tells the script how much to change the particle emitter rate to vary the effect. I used .02 to -.02 differences. 

If the value is 5, the particle emitters seem to emit so slowly you never see the particles! So, if you get the value being used, then set the array to simply [5], then after your time, put the originals back in place, it should work. Have not tested this, but it should work. (am not at home to try)

_arrayLocal = arSands_MKY; // get values
arSands_MKY = [5]; // on next cycle causes no particles to emit
sleep 100; // your timer event, whatever you want
arSands_MKY = _arrayLocal; // put values back in place

You can make your own value array up as well, you don't have to use what I used. Open the MKY_Sand_Client.sqf file and read those amazingly complicated and boring notes for a better idea :))

• Like 1

Hi,

That's a great script.

Really interesting for some SpecOps operations in arid maps.

Do you think you'll released an addon module with parameters ?

I would like to learn how to do that. I mean to work on the snow effect again, improve that if possible before I would do an addon.

• Like 2

I would like to learn how to do that. I mean to work on the snow effect again, improve that if possible before I would do an addon.

Sounds good.I would like to eventually see this as an addon as well :)

Good work, but its not really useable,
Dust is present in a Helicopter at the same hight???
Is it syncronized with the clients?

Maybe its better to put the scripts in one function and remote execute this from the server every 60 seconds?

Oh, and do not use setwind with own parameters...
Alive weather Mods,Vanilla weather,ACE3 Weather
this mods create synced weather conditions,
read the weather conditions and use them instead.
especially intresting for advanced Ballistics for example...

etc...

Good work, but its not really useable,

Dust is present in a Helicopter at the same hight???

Is it syncronized with the clients?

Maybe its better to put the scripts in one function and remote execute this from the server every 60 seconds?

Oh, and do not use setwind with own parameters...

Alive weather Mods,Vanilla weather,ACE3 Weather

this mods create synced weather conditions,

read the weather conditions and use them instead.

especially intresting for advanced Ballistics for example...

etc...

Particles entering vehicles will not be something I can fix. I have yet to find a satisfactory method of dealing with keeping this effect when moving fast. Until I do, its not going to work right for anything but infantry. Sorry.

There is only the originating wind direction to sync, all else is client side. I would not have the server remote execute unless I had to, on principle of not introducing networking where networking is not needed. Applies to more than just arma..

It would be nice to support all mods and addons, but thats a lot of work. I have my goals for now, and they need X wind. These plans do not include supporting others wind systems. So, until I get time to finish my goals, and then look at how other mods expose wind parameters, it will have to wait. If someone wanted to do it or send all needed info I would fit it in as best I could. I wish all I had to do everyday was mess with this game, but it is not, so I have to pick and choose :)

As for being usable, I guess that depends on how you define "usable". Its been very usable for me, even on a dedicated server on others created missions.

EDIT: I may have spoke too soon. I think I found a way to control the velocity/motion of the particles without having to set the wind. New snow is looking good! Way better than the original IMO, and I've only just begun to mess with it haha. And 3 weeks from now I will have another "grand revelation"... followed by yet another, and I will get nothing finished.. ;) New snow really does seem better so far.

• Like 1

Hey,

So, we are in the same situation.

I try to learn how to make a script working with an addon file to make it automatically adapted to all human entities.

If I find any way to make my own, I'll give you information in PM, maybe you can adapt it after that for your own mod.

I have learned much today. I will be able to make this an addon I believe now. I don't know how to construct an addon, but I have now most of the code to cause the client to not interfere with whatever wind or weather system is present. I will make an option to enable wind of course in case its not played with a weather system. I have now learned how to tweak the effect without relying on as many different particle emitters or as many different classes of billboards. I have to design an algorithm yet for a few things, but more than half of what I needed to design I did today.

I have made a video of the many differing effects I have been playing with. They are subtle, but if you knew particle emitters you would see this is pretty neat stuff actually.. at least I think so. Anyway, this video shows that the mission editor advanced weather values are used, and yet without ever changing them, I can alter the particles. In the videos you will see in the system chat the winddir, windstr and gusts values. 

You probably have to be interested to watch, its boring, but for those who dig the immersion of this stuff, this is whats cooking...

• Like 3

I still can't get it to work in my dedicated server. Works fine in single and multiplayer tho.

can someone do a walk through on how to place these scripts on a single player mission please?

In the script MKY\fnc\MKY_fnc_getInfoWorld.sqf are two arrays with worlds listed. The script will work on these world maps. You are free to place whatever worlds you want in each snow and sand array. Its just a starting point I used.

Dedi server wise, a week maybe and the next version will be out. It will solve all dedi issues. I have rewrote much of the effect to not interfere with existing weather systems, so the server stuff got chopped significantly. Hang on for just a little bit and you will find it working without issue.. or so I hope :)

As for single player, its a script. You call the script. You are the server. It should just work if you call it as in my mission example. I will include better walkthroughs in the next version though. Its changed a lot in the last couple weeks, so its getting confusing haha. Not the way I wanted it to work, but all the feedback led to changes for the better..

• Like 1

can someone do a walk through on how to place these scripts on a single player mission please?

Very easy man!

DL example mission, and copy "MKY" folder and paste it to your mission folder.

Open your "DESCRIPTION" file,or create one with Notepad ++, and paste this:

class Params
{
   class MKY_EFX
	{
		title = "Sand Particle EFX strength";
		values[] = {0,1,2,3,4};
		texts[] = {"Random","Light","Moderate","Heavy","Disabled"};
		default = 1;
	};
};

class CfgMusic
{
	tracks[]={"MKY_Blizzard","MKY_Snowfall"};

class MKY_Blizzard
	{
		name = "";
		sound[] = {"\MKY\sounds\m0nkey_blizzard.ogg", db+0, 1.0};
	};
	class MKY_Snowfall
	{
		name = "";
		sound[] = {"\MKY\sounds\m0nkey_snowfall.ogg", db+0, 1.0};
	};
};

then, open (or create one) your "init.sqf" file with Notepad++ and paste this:

if ((paramsArray select 0) != 4) then {
	// define the global sand parameter array
	//[fog,overcast,use ppEfx,allow rain,force wind,vary fog,use wind audio,EFX strength]
	MKY_arSandEFX = [0,"",true,false,true,true,true,(paramsArray select 0)];
	// init the EFX scripts
	nul = [] execVM "MKY\MKY_Sand_Snow_Init.sqf";
};

sleep 0.5;

DONE!!!!...

Then..enjoy full desert immersion.....

This is a sneak preview of a ready-to-be-released chapter 2 of my dynamic coop campaign....see how it looks.... 

You don't need the params stuff in description.ext. Its there so you can enable/disable the effect in an MP game. You can just exec the scripts on your own "if" statement if you have some criteria, or just exec the scripts right off the bat. and you don't need the audio either, if you don't want. The file MKY_Sand_Client.sqf has the full input parameters for the effect, which you can set to false for "use audio".

• Like 1

You don't need the params stuff in description.ext. Its there so you can enable/disable the effect in an MP game. You can just exec the scripts on your own "if" statement if you have some criteria, or just exec the scripts right off the bat. and you don't need the audio either, if you don't want. The file MKY_Sand_Client.sqf has the full input parameters for the effect, which you can set to false for "use audio".

LOL..I'm such a noob! Since I don't know shit about scripting, what I generally do to make thing work is copy and paste the way I see working on other mission. Probably I could cut so many things out..but I would't know how and what. Sorry ROADRUNNER for giving you a somehow wrong walk-trough..it worked for me, so I thought..what a hell...HAHAHHA

My is a MP/coop mission after-all....

Sorry mOnkey!!!!

There is nothing to apologize for. These are scripts. There are often "input parameters" for scripts. You can read the scripts being used, and usually there are notes about the input parameters, how to use them, what parameter does what, etc.

Everyone must start at the beginning. I would encourage, as you start, to look at the files being executed (execVM'ed). I try to put comments in my code so that at least some of what is happening can be made known. I could be better of course ;) But it you look at my sqf files, and follow them, there is a logic you should then understand. Maybe not fully, but at least you would begin to see how you can modify this effect by changing input parameters.

As I say, everyone must start at the bottom, understanding nothing, and go up from there. So its nothing to apologize for. Its all about sharing what one has made with others who are interested in using or learning :)

And not everyone wants to script, so they just make it work... and that also is fine :)

• Like 1

...And not everyone wants to script, so they just make it work... and that also is fine :)

Yap..that's ME!!!!!!  :P

Really great stuff. Looks amazing. I understand how much time it takes to make particle effects that "look just right". Thanks for this!

A really nice touch would be to keep adding goggle dust effects in the main loop for those using @ace. Just a suggestion.

_ace_goggles_activated = "ace_goggles" in activatedAddons; //I think the addon is called ace_goggles but I'm not sure.

while {true} do {
    if (_ace_goggles_activated) then {call ace_goggles_fnc_applyDustEffect;}
    sleep 5;
};

Hmm. Thats the evolution of LHM Glasses? I use that LHM, but don't want all that ACE offers. I will look into that after I get the rewrite settled for the sand and snow.

Hey. Thank you for this awesome script. :) but i was wondering if there is a way to make it so it doesn't follow the player but it comes in and occupies a part of the map?