theebu

Open Letter to Bohemia: We can help

First off, I want to thank Bohemia for making Arma. Without it, many of these communities wouldn't exist, and many of the players would have never met. Great things have come from the it's creation, both in and out of the game. 

Since the 1.54 update there have been a significant number complaints and angry threads, and this is understandable. What I don't see, are many instances of players and mod devs offering their help. With that, let me get to the point. I, as a member of the community, would like to offer my help. I don't proclaim to be an expert coder or scripter or modeler, there are many mod authors out there that are far more skilled than I. However I still believe I can help. I know many players simply want the best vanilla experience they can get, without the use of mods. Unfortunately, much of the fixes to issues in the game come in the form of mods, or long work-around scripts. I like to believe there are devs out there willing to donate their work to you, Bohemia, to make this game even better, and I am one of them. Give us tasks to help improve the game, use your community to make it something even greater than it already is. 

I know that in this last patch you got information specifically from the ACE3 team, and that's a great start- but go further. Work with more teams, and get more input. The dev branch is a great resource, but many of us don't use it as we need to work with the current working branch. Use more than just the dev build feedback and bug reports to fix issues, use your dedicated followers. I recognize that your team can only do so much at a time, and that's why I write this letter to you.

And to the modders and devs out there, I encourage you to work with Bohemia, not against them. There is only so much their team can do at once, so let's help them. 

-Theebu

Avid player and mod developer.

**By we, I only speak for myself and anyone who wishes to agree with my view. I do not intend to speak for the entire community, I know many have mixed views on the state of the game.

• Like 4

For starters, that's not how things work: Don't call us, we'll call you. B)

Work with more teams, and get more input. The dev branch is a great resource, but many of us don't use it as we need to work with the current working branch. Use more than just the dev build feedback and bug reports to fix issues, use your dedicated followers. I recognize that your team can only do so much at a time, [...]

So..., you can't be bothered to give feedback on the dev branch, and also the feedback tracker isn't good enough for you. Instead BIS should go after their "followers" (which don't seem to follow them too well on the dedicated communication channels), guess a private séparée would be nice, because you recognize that they can only do so much at a time?

Yep, just let's throw some "more teams" and "more input" at them.

That will do. <_<

Don't get me wrong; your heart might be in the right place, but I highly doubt BIS has waited for your slightly naive proposal.

So..., you can't be bothered to give feedback on the dev branch, and also the feedback tracker isn't good enough for you. Instead BIS should go after their "followers" (which don't seem to follow them too well on the dedicated communication channels), guess a private séparée would be nice, because you recognize that they can only do so much at a time?

That will do. <_<

Don't get me wrong; your heart might be in the right place, but I highly doubt BIS has waited for your slightly naive proposal.

I wasn't implying that the existing tools weren't good enough, simply offering up another avenue. I also would like to point out that I indicated doing the actual work to fix problems, not just give them suggestions how they should do it. I am implying that those of us who wish to help would provide working code and assets. 

That will do. <_<

It has been the case even with using the correct channels as you implied. Nothing gets done. Here is someone willing to help and you knit picking its not sent via the Forums. The issues only addressed is the issues posted by BIS on their forum. But if people are requiring new items or features...there is a  wish list. BUT! Hardly no feed back is given. I guess this is fine then as long as its seen by your rationale. 

It'd be pretty cool in an idealistic sort of way if the community had a hand in developing ARMA 3-something in the same vein as open source software. But of course, IP and quality control have to get in the way.

In my world, i see Bohemia's devs very active in this very forum, posting whenever they feel they need too. The community has always been involved in the game development, several BI dev are coming from it. And as you said, the dev branch purpose is precisely to involve the community in the game testing and evolution. Several evolutions comes from community requests, such as FFV or weapon resting.

• Like 2