Sign in to follow this  
agent()()9

The reasons why weapon sway is so bad after the Nexus update

The reasons I hate the new weapon sway system:

1) It is not so much because of the magnitude of sway, but how loooooooong it takes to reduce the sway.  For example: I've noticed that after sprinting for a short bit, even when my stamina bar fully recovers, it still takes 15-20 seconds for my sway to become fairly steady from the crouched position.  If my stamina bar is full, doesn't that mean I'm fully recovered?  Why does it take so long to get steady aim after that?  This is really frustrating, to the point that I barely want to play anymore.

2) The amount of sway after deploying my weapon with a bipod seems to be a bit too much.  A gun set up on a bipod should be fairly rock steady.

As an aside, although think the old fatigue system was a bit more realistic, I do like the new stamina indicator. 

I really hoped sway is addressed in the next patch.  If it isn't, I really don't see myself playing much anymore - especially if the AI maintains its superhuman accuracy while I'm dealing with a drunk Michael J. Fox for my character.  I understand that holding my breath helps, but even shooting rifles in real life while actively breathing wasn't nearly as bad as the current system.

• Like 5

I've noticed that after sprinting for a short bit, even when my stamina bar fully recovers, it still takes 15-20 seconds for my sway to become fairly steady from the crouched position.  If my stamina bar is full, doesn't that mean I'm fully recovered?  Why does it take so long to get steady aim after that?  This is really frustrating, to the point that I barely want to play anymore.

Agreed, that's my problem with new sway too: I'm standing stll, my stamina is fully recovered, I'm holding my breath... and the weapon still dances around screen's center. It's really confusing, WTF else should I do to be able to shoot?!

I really hope BI will make some changes in next patch.

• Like 1

Good news, all (hopefully)!  Just saw the dev branch changelog today:

• Tweaked: Adjusted the magnitude of weapon sway levels; increased stability in rested and deployed states to provide more benefit for active reduction of weapon sway and reward tactical gameplay

I'm praying that this makes it to the main branch soon, and that it restores sway to pre-Nexus levels.  Bonus if it reduces the sway for bipod stabilization even further than pre-Nexus. 

Thank you for listing to your player base, BI.  Most of the other changes and additions (especially the new End Game missions) are great!  It's only the Nexus sway that is really killing the gameplay for me.

​

Edit:  Just tried the dev branch, testing some weapons in the virtual arsenal...the level of sway is still too high.  I can only tell a slight difference :(  It still takes too long for the sway to calm down once stationary and fully-rested after a very short run.

• Tweaked: Adjusted the magnitude of weapon sway levels; increased stability in rested and deployed states to provide more benefit for active reduction of weapon sway and reward tactical gameplay

I don't like that. Why would BI "reward/punish" how we play the game? Is it an effort in balancing the game for us on official servers? A reward for tactical gameplay should be the positive result of a planned and good executed maneuver, regardless of weapon sway. The weapon sway should give us an authentic RL feeling immersing us into the game, not used as some kind of mean to control/balance us. Wtf....

• Like 4

I don't like that. Why would BI "reward/punish" how we play the game? Is it an effort in balancing the game for us on official servers? A reward for tactical gameplay should be the positive result of a planned and good executed maneuver, regardless of weapon sway. The weapon sway should give us an authentic RL feeling immersing us into the game, not used as some kind of mean to control/balance us. Wtf....

Reward in this context means that due to the nature of the game, it will be more effective to lie down or take a knee before fireing, just like a game like Battlefield rewards aim and reaction time more than ARMA does. It's not reward as a prize or as an intended pat on the back of tactical players, it's just that by trying to make the game mimic real life restraints on weapon handling, it enforces ARMAs preference for a tactical approach over a run'n'gun. That being said, wether or not the current sway misses the mark or not in that regard is a different question... But as a game, it really does make sense that BIS tries to tailor ARMA to reward tactical gameplay. It's an indirect result of the focus on realism.

• Like 1

i must agree that supported or bipod should reduce sway a shit load. how can that be a problem? that's good imho.

Agree the phrase rewarding tactical gameplay is a little superflous. but it shoudlnt negate the sense in the preceding words.

Sure. I understand what "reward" means in this case and I also support the idea of different sways depending on stance. What rubs me the wrong way is it seems like BI is trying to use that feature to balance the game instead of trying to get an immersive authentic sway. If they try to make it authentic the "tactical gameplay" will come automatically, but if they try to force "tactical gameplay" by tweaking that feature it's the wrong way around imo.

Just look at the latest patch Nexus and all the comments. Is the sway in the direction of authentic/immersive, or is it more of a way to balance/force players into what BI consider tactical? To force a tactical gameplay through difficult/unintuitive weapon handling....?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sure. I understand what "reward" means in this case and I also support the idea of different sways depending on stance. What rubs me the wrong way is it seems like BI is trying to use that feature to balance the game instead of trying to get an immersive authentic sway. If they try to make it authentic the "tactical gameplay" will come automatically, but if they try to force "tactical gameplay" by tweaking that feature it's the wrong way around imo.

Just look at the latest patch Nexus and all the comments. Is the sway in the direction of authentic/immersive, or is it more of a way to balance/force players into what BI consider tactical? To force a tactical gameplay through difficult/unintuitive weapon handling....?

Nice try battlefield player!

Nice try battlefield player!

Say what..? :D I need an explanation for that.

edit: Maybe he means 'Battlefields'!? :) That I have played many times and wouldn't mind to play again!