MrSanchez

[SP/MP] Kingdom - An ArmA 3 Grand Gamemode (WIP)

Kingdom75.png

This project is temporarily on hold. Other projects popped up that take priority. I will return to this at some point this year :)

What is Kingdom?

Kingdom is an ArmA 3 grand-gamemode that can be played alone (SP), co-operatively (against AI) or player-versus-player with up to 60 players.

The map/island is divided into various territories which can be captured and added to a kingdom. There can be up to three kingdoms, each lead by a King and his vassals.

A kingdom can be maintained by a steady flow of supplies and wealth, which come from captured territories and trade. Each territory has its’ own pros and cons; it can be large and have lots of oil, but mountainous which makes it difficult to defend.

The various Kings can set up alliances, such as trade alliances which will allow supply vehicles from one kingdom travel through the other without being stopped, which boosts the trade.

Kings can also rival eachother; capture eachother’s territories and declare war upon eachother, which could cause for some very interesting diplomatic situations (for example: Kings A and B can be at war with eachother, leaving King C with a choice whether to ally himself with one of the other Kings, stay neutral or declare war on both of the other Kings(thus making it a free-for-all).

A King can develop his kingdom by building military bases, factories, fortifications, all done using a custom Zeus-like "Hades" interface.

Building military bases will increase the amount of (AI) soldiers a Kingdom can have enlisted. Factories will increase the vehicular capabilities of a Kingdom and fortifications aid in the defense of each territory.

Unless the gamemode is played with > 30 players, the main fighting force of each kingdom will likely be AI forces. These forces play a huge role in the defense and capture of territories.

Each Kingdom has their own vassals, which are players with privileges. For example, they can recruit an AI squad or request vehicle support. Additionally, they can aid the King in leading the territories. But ofcourse, they can also move on their own and fight the enemy. In multiplayer, the King is selected out of one of the vassals, either by random chance or by vote.

The King has the ability to abdicate and point a new vassal as King.

Within the gamemode, there can be various sub-modes such as:

• Territory Control - The first kingdom to capture a pre-designated amount of territories, wins.

• Conquest - The last kingdom (alliance) to stay alive, wins.

• Regicide - No respawns/abdication/heritance for Kings -> The last King breathing, wins.

And more sub-modes can be thought of, later on.

Inspiration

For my ideas I’ve been somewhat inspired by the RTS ‘Empire Earth 2’, however I think that because this is ArmA, a 1st/3rd person game, it can be a quite new, unique experience.

Additionally, some ideas are similar to ArmA 2’s Warfare gamemode.

Development Roadmap

Q1 2016 - Alpha version, tested internally with my group; Phantom Incorporated

Q1-Q2 2016 - Beta version, first RC released to the public, receiving feedback (hopefully)

Q2 2016 - Active development with updates dependent on feedback

The Release Candidate-version will likely contain instructions for server admins & mission makers to customize the mission to their own preference. You will be able to change the units, vehicles, territories and even the island it’s played upon.

Why?

I find the development process of this gamemode a lot of fun as I enjoy coding, but also livestreaming and teaching people, so do feel free to hop in and ask some questions.

At the time of writing this, I’ve been livestreaming the development for 8 days, you can watch the development & contribute ideas/support on my Twitch channel: phonicgameshd

I don’t know what people will think of this gamemode, but even if the gamemode ends up not being popular at all, I'll feel like the development process has been worth it.

Media

Final words

Now, the terms of this gamemode are deliberately based on the 15-16th century. It is part of the charm. However, there will be no swords & bows in this gamemode: instead ArmA 3 vanilla & (optional) modded military-equipment will be used.

Any feedback is much appreciated!

Have a nice day.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

• Like 8

This seems like a great idea, I would play this for hours and hours. Goodluck with the development of it

This seems like a great idea, I would play this for hours and hours. Goodluck with the development of it

Cheers.

Been sick the last few days but I'm feelin' better now and I'ma continue the development tomorrow ;)

Cheers.

Been sick the last few days but I'm feelin' better now and I'ma continue the development tomorrow ;)

Hey MrSanchez! If you need any help with scripting or testing PM me I'd be happy to help. Also your videos on youtube are amazing and I love them

Hey MrSanchez! If you need any help with scripting or testing PM me I'd be happy to help. Also your videos on youtube are amazing and I love them

I'll be fine on the scripting & testing side of things for now. I'll be doing internal testing with my group and the scripting progress is pretty fast too. Thanks for the offer though :D

And cheers, ofcourse ;)

I'll be fine on the scripting & testing side of things for now. I'll be doing internal testing with my group and the scripting progress is pretty fast too. Thanks for the offer though :D

And cheers, ofcourse ;)

Yeah no problem dude just shout if you need anything, I doubt though you'll need me :D

Love the concept and would like to see more updates in the future. Good luck with your project!

• Like 1

Love the concept and would like to see more updates in the future. Good luck with your project!

Cheers!

Yeah I've been so busy livestreaming this that I forgot to make any progress videos... I'll wrap up what I've been creating this week and then create a dev update.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Whoa this sounds awesome, I'll definitely be giving it a try once you get a release published! :D

Such a great concept! Wish you all the best with the development

Whoa this sounds awesome, I'll definitely be giving it a try once you get a release published! :D

Thanks ;)

I just finished recording a dev video showing what I've got done so far - I'll be publishing it here later this weekend (hopefully)

Kind regards,

Sanchez

• Like 2

Well...It took another weekend but I managed to summarize my progress on this so far and upload it ;)

Yo, this is a good idea. This could be big if all the right elements come together. Good luck, because im down for something new.

Yo, this is a good idea. This could be big if all the right elements come together. Good luck, because im down for something new.

Cheers man.

I'm still working on this every week. Livestreaming the progress.

Unfortunately my Corsair PSU broke down today so development will be halted for a week or so until I get my replacement. 

Other than that I'll probably create a new progress video soon.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Looks interesting - though i have to wonder - wouldn't it cause quite alot of performance issues if a king built stuff in every zone without limit?

Maybe put a limit on Buildings - e.g. 20 defensive structures (Bunkers, weaponemplacements),  2 "management" structures  (buildings for recruiting/repairing/rearming - like the buildingtypes known from warfare gamemode in A2) per province at max.

Maybe have the limit depending on province size. The starting location could have a higher number allowed ("Capital"). This would give more weight to the "Capital".

I feel like a gameplay problem could be defending Kingdom with a couple of owned zone - The map is quite big and the player amount is limited, so a Player-AI squad could easily walz into a zone and capture it quickly. This makes infrastructure/Support lines difficult, as the dynamic of changing zones can be high.

Looks interesting - though i have to wonder - wouldn't it cause quite alot of performance issues if a king built stuff in every zone without limit?

Maybe put a limit on Buildings - e.g. 20 defensive structures (Bunkers, weaponemplacements),  2 "management" structures  (buildings for recruiting/repairing/rearming - like the buildingtypes known from warfare gamemode in A2) per province at max.

Maybe have the limit depending on province size. The starting location could have a higher number allowed ("Capital"). This would give more weight to the "Capital".

I feel like a gameplay problem could be defending Kingdom with a couple of owned zone - The map is quite big and the player amount is limited, so a Player-AI squad could easily walz into a zone and capture it quickly. This makes infrastructure/Support lines difficult, as the dynamic of changing zones can be high.

Hey,

I didn't even think of a building limit, that's a good idea for both performance and balance reasons.

I also like the idea of the starting zone to have a special name and some perks.

Regarding the dynamic of changing zones, I think this would depend highly upon the map & some of the parameters such as capture speed.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by infrastructure/support lines, but if you're talking about the supply/trade lines, I think you'd be fine running a supply route behind your front line.

I'm still contemplating as to how important trade/supply lines they will be in the first place.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Kind regards,

Sanchez

Really intrersting mod!! It should be mount and blade in ARMA 3!!

I don't think you're fully aware what the gamemode really is, sorry :P

It's not going to be a mod, it's going to be a mission and I quote from the 'Final words' section.

Now, the terms of this gamemode are deliberately based on the 15-16th century. It is part of the charm. However, there will be no swords & bows in this gamemode: instead ArmA 3 vanilla & (optional) modded military-equipment will be used.

Hehe :D

Kind regards,

Sanchez

I haven't worked on it for about 2 weeks because I'm taking a small break.

I'll resume working on it again shortly though :P

Unfortunately I was unable to follow the roadmap :@

Kind regards,

Sanchez