rowantrek

Star Wars Life | Concept | Need Feedback

Star Wars Life  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should It Happen?

2. 2. If their was a Star Wars Life would you play on it?

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you aren't a threat and that it's ok because other people are doing it, which has never been a sound legal defense... ever. Do you think D's lawyers will care? Sorry to say but anytime you are stepping on the IP of an entertainment company and not getting sued you should consider yourself lucky. There was a private wow server community that thought Blizz wouldn't come after them either, key word is "was" they got sued for 88 million, yes they lost as if there was any doubt.

Nobody said you can't do it, hell you can shoot people if you really want, but there are consequences if the powers that be decide they aren't having any of it. Is it really worth it? *I* don't think so but then again I don't have millions to pay lawyers either so it's not a table I would sit at in the first place.

I think all he was doing was pointing out precedent from similar projects, which is hardly "convincing himself he isn't a threat". There are many, many Star Wars mods across an enormous plethora of games (from Garry's mod to Fallout to Mount and Blade), and I've yet to hear of even one being shut down or sued into oblivion. Especially considering they are making their own models, audio, and effects, and not copying from any other game, and are non-profit, I don't think Disney would have any interest in stopping development on Imperial Assault, and although I don't have a legal background by any means, I am unsure as to if they would even have case or not, considering fair use.

Also, this is unrelated, but do you have a source on that 88 million dollar lawsuit against that private WoW server you spoke of? Considering that's probably in the rough range of what WoW pulls in quarterly, I'd be very interested to read the background of that suit and see how Blizzard apparently came up with that number. 

I think all he was doing was pointing out precedent from similar projects, which is hardly "convincing himself he isn't a threat". There are many, many Star Wars mods across an enormous plethora of games (from Garry's mod to Fallout to Mount and Blade), and I've yet to hear of even one being shut down or sued into oblivion. Especially considering they are making their own models, audio, and effects, and not copying from any other game, and are non-profit, I don't think Disney would have any interest in stopping development on Imperial Assault, and although I don't have a legal background by any means, I am unsure as to if they would even have case or not, considering fair use.

Also, this is unrelated, but do you have a source on that 88 million dollar lawsuit against that private WoW server you spoke of? Considering that's probably in the rough range of what WoW pulls in quarterly, I'd be very interested to read the background of that suit and see how Blizzard apparently came up with that number. 

Just google Scapegaming.

Generally companies aren't as aggressive as you seem to be implying. Especially where there's no exchange of currency or attempts at misrepresentation. It's not in their best interest. Legally speaking they own copyright/ip or whatever the proper terminology is. So they can take action if they choose to. And there's not much anyone can do about it.

But they have to balance that against the fact that the people creating mods, are part of the demographic funding the franchise. Given the speed of communication these days it's not something they can digitally sweep under the carpet.

It's not surprising that scapegaming was attacked though. They involved financial transactions. Which seems an incredibly silly mistake to make. I think a life server based on SW would indeed attract legal attention given the way they operate. The mere mention of cash changing hands would put blood in the water. Without any official endorsement from the owner of the copyrights/ip I doubt it would last long.

:)

Generally companies aren't as aggressive as you seem to be implying. Especially where there's no exchange of currency or attempts at misrepresentation. It's not in their best interest. Legally speaking they own copyright/ip or whatever the proper terminology is. So they can take action if they choose to. And there's not much anyone can do about it.

But they have to balance that against the fact that the people creating mods, are part of the demographic funding the franchise. Given the speed of communication these days it's not something they can digitally sweep under the carpet.

It's not surprising that scapegaming was attacked though. They involved financial transactions. Which seems an incredibly silly mistake to make. I think a life server based on SW would indeed attract legal attention given the way they operate. The mere mention of cash changing hands would put blood in the water. Without any official endorsement from the owner of the copyrights/ip I doubt it would last long.

:)

By no means am I saying companies "will" I am simply pointing out they "can" and "have" done it to folks. As stated, it really depends on the level of attention/cash it generates. You may or may not know this, but these companies actually have legal teams on staff, so it's not as if they are paying them "more" to pursue legal action. It comes down to the scale of the infraction and the time available to the legal team. Often times they will farm out this smaller stuff to the newer legal team members to work them in to the companies legal process under low profile situations while possibly getting some restitution in the process. Not to mention it helps deter the small guys who feel they can fly under the radar by going after some of them. They look at it as a cost measure to stifle the lower end usage of their IP's. 

I pointed out D, because I have done work for them in the past and they are very aggressive. You may not think so by the cute image they portray but they are not cute and cuddly when it comes to their brand and it's owned IP's. Again, I am not saying they will, but they most certainly can so food for though to content creators using hot IP's in their work.

Honestly, since the stuff in the Star Wars mod for ArmA 3 is based from the original movies, there shouldn't be any danger. However, it is very likely you will be sued if you intend to recreate stuff from the latest movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Honestly, since the stuff in the Star Wars mod for ArmA 3 is based from the original movies, there shouldn't be any danger. However, it is very likely you will be sued if you intend to recreate stuff from the latest movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

I don't understand this logic. They own the entire SW IP not just the new stuff so it doesn't matter what movie something was shown in, property is property.

Generally companies aren't as aggressive as you seem to be implying. Especially where there's no exchange of currency or attempts at misrepresentation. It's not in their best interest.

Problem isn't necessarily them. They can also be forced to react due to third party action (i.e. newsreporters or "eager fans" of the mod). If they run around making advertisement for the mod in the communities of the official licensed games along the lines of "This game is crap, look, a free mod can do better then this".

Which might be what caused BSG and StarGate IP holders to strike down popular mods on modDB recently

Does anyone happen to have the assets for star wars imperial assault? I never had the chance to try the mod and it's been impossible to find now that development has ceased.

Does anyone happen to have the assets for star wars imperial assault? I never had the chance to try the mod and it's been impossible to find now that development has ceased.

Are you serious?!? Perhaps google 'Star Wars mod ArmA 3' and you'll obviously find it...

Are you serious?!? Perhaps google 'Star Wars mod ArmA 3' and you'll obviously find it...

Thank you for your reply. A google search yielded nothing, as blueharvest removed all downloads after discontinuing the mod. If you've found a specific source, I'd love to hear about it.

This thread is going nowhere - closing :padlock:

• Like 1