rowantrek

Star Wars Life | Concept | Need Feedback

Star Wars Life  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Should It Happen?

2. 2. If their was a Star Wars Life would you play on it?

Hello Forum Members,

i am posting this thread to get your opinion on an idea that a community i am in had. The idea i had is Star Wars Life which is a modded Altis Life. Through the use of custom and public mods i wish to create a sci-fi experience with Police/Blufor getting replaced with the Imperial Empire. The Imperial Empire will be armed with various weapons uniforms and aircraft including Tie Fighters, Imperial Shuttle and more. Civilian will remain mostly unchanged but with the addition of new vehicles, weapons, uniforms and ways to become rich. Medics will be replaced with the Galactic Emergency Medical Services which will gain access to fast vehicles and tools to save lives. The modpack will most likely include the ACE 3 or X-Med medical system. A new faction will be added (Opfor) the Rebellion Alliance which is a whitelisted faction that is designed to roleplay with the Imperial Empire and protect the civilians of the Galaxy from the evil Empire. I also hope to get a custom map made based off a planet from star wars. If i get positive feedback i will start to get a development team to make this mod.

Please post your feedback. :)

Regards Rowantrek

• Like 1

I had the same idea and i think it would be awesome. The problem is that there are not enough mods for using. If you get this on work, i will make a German Server with this Modification if im allowed to

Thanks for your feedback. Like I said in the main post if I get enough feedback I will get a development team ready and start development. As for servers their will be a way for you to apply for the server side mods once we get into a playable state. It all depends on the feedback I get

As for servers their will be a way for you to apply for the server side mods once we get into a playable state.

Not this s**t again!

You know there is already a SW mod in development that will be free of charge or any "application requirements"?

This "I made a mod, but don't share it/share it under follow conditions" is a real pity for the whole community!

• Like 8

Not this s**t again!

You know there is already a SW mod in development that will be free of charge or any "application requirements"?

This "I made a mod, but don't share it/share it under follow conditions" is a real pity for the whole community!

All client side mods will be allowed to be used on any server by anyone. This is a feedback stage so thank you for your feedback. if I get feedback like this then I can change it.

EDIT: The application is essentially contact info for mod updates and the the community agreeing to some rules e.g.

No monetisation and to provide proper credit

I would probably suggest you have your feedback at the A3 Life homepage, since this is related to it.

Honestly, though, I would love to share some of my ideas, but unfortunately I don't want them to be a selling point.  <_<

I would probably suggest you have your feedback at the A3 Life homepage, since this is related to it.

Honestly, though, I would love to share some of my ideas, but unfortunately I don't want them to be a selling point.  <_<

I have already tried to ask for feedback, but because you can't mod Altus life with out permission they locked my thread :I

Star Wars Life if I go through with it will be purely non-profit and will be a condition of me distributing the server side mods.

I have already tried to ask for feedback, but because you can't mod Altus life with out permission they locked my thread :I

Star Wars Life if I go through with it will be purely non-profit and will be a condition of me distributing the server side mods.

doesnt change anything... you are not allowed to use it in other mods... end of story...

I feel like you are looking for people to tell you whether or not to build this. Just build it and if it's good they will play it. "Build it and they will come" is a great development mantra. There are no guarantees in anything so you have to take risks. 

Regarding the AL framework, why not just build your own? That way you don't have to worry about them telling you no. 

Last thing, and this needs to be said. I get it that Star Wars is hot, especially now... but keep in mind who owns it. I have done some music work for their mobile games division in the past and let me just say that they don't F around. They have the money and lawyers to shut down anything that steps on their IP and they will do it in a heart beat. Just reading the contract for that job almost made me reconsider doing it.

I F'in love SW and would love to do a killer pvp SW mod but I know I'd get my ass sued for it if they caught wind of it and that is simply not worth the risk. Just keep that in mind for all these SW mods and stuff.

Honestly, the Life framework would not possibly work with your concept. I would definitely recommend you build your own functions, dialogs and core files for the mod. After all, you basically cannot handcuff someone floating in space, neither taser them.  :lol:

Besides, the Star Wars fever may wear off in a couple of months, after the film (not its fans, though). But no doubt there will be a Star Trek fever as well, when the new movie Star Trek: Beyond releases on July 22, 2016.  ;) (forgive me, but I am a trekky, lol)

Look, it is your choice whether to go ahead with your project or not. But you need to remember that you must carefully decide what you are doing, and if it is going to be worth-while doing. Some of the things most of us consider (including myself) before beginning our project, are these points:

1. Will it be a project that I will consider doing? (If you plan to make it, then you agree to dedicate some of your time on its development)

2. How long will it take, and do I have the time to put the effort into it?

3. What will be the project's name?

4. What basic (or main) features will take place in the project?

5. What resources must I use to make the project? (If it is a community addon/mod, you will need to PM the author permission to include it in your project)

6. Am I prepared to make models, scripts, textures, etc.? If not, then am I prepared to hire/request people to help me? (Some users may want to get payed...be warned...)

• Like 1

Thanks foamytrg and Ranwer135 for your feedback. considering what you guys of said I've been thinking if I should make a overall sci fi mod lie Star Life with parts from Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate and maybe a bit of battlestar galactica

foamytrg, for what it's worth they can't really do anything about free community made content as long as it isn't ported from something of theirs

I am probably going to spill some of my ideas, but,

If you are considering a mix of sci-fi ships, I would definitely look at Elite: Dangerous for some ideas (There is tons of youtube videos, if you haven't got the game). It has similar approaches towards what you are looking for, so check it out if you have the time.

But a mix of Star Wars and Star Trek, would probably cause me to have a heart attack. :P

Darth Vader: "Come and join me with the Dark Side, and we shall rule the universe!"

Captain Kirk "Shhhh... I'm busy fighting the Borg. Go blow something else up for a change."

Borg "The Federation and the Dark Side will be assimilated, resistance is futile."

Darth Vader "Mind if I join the Good Side for a while?"

Captain Kirk "Well we have to go through all the paper work and talks on Earth. But yeah, sure!"

Sounds like a great idea, and something that would be incredibly popular. Hit me up if you need anyone to do any modeling, or need help setting up a website.

Thanks for the feedback. Gray Luna I might be finding a Dev team soon once I make up my mind on what I want to do. My options are currently Sci-Fi or Star Wars, so once I get get more feedback I'll create a new topic about a Dev team

foamytrg, for what it's worth they can't really do anything about free community made content as long as it isn't ported from something of theirs

They most certainly can, it has nothing to do with the fact it is not a port of their actual model. In a legal sense you are using their branded IP (intellectual property) you can not recreate anything in likeness to Star Wars without infringing on a copyright. if you want to use anything Star Wars related you have to buy a license to do so.

They most certainly can, it has nothing to do with the fact it is not a port of their actual model. In a legal sense you are using their branded IP (intellectual property) you can not recreate anything in likeness to Star Wars without infringing on a copyright. if you want to use anything Star Wars related you have to buy a license to do so.

It also depends on their Terms & Conditions policy as well. Some may allow you to use them for other uses, as long as they are free, and some may require permissions and possibly money (like what you have said). There is a Star Wars mod already for ArmA 3, so I suggest you PM pomigit permission to use it with your project.

It also depends on their Terms & Conditions policy as well. Some may allow you to use them for other uses, as long as they are free, and some may require permissions and possibly money (like what you have said). There is a Star Wars mod already for ArmA 3, so I suggest you PM pomigit permission to use it with your project.

I am not talking about the mod makers here. I am talking about the owner of the Star Wars franchise, Disney. And Disney doesn't F around with their IP, you can NOT use ANY Star Wars IP without licensing it from Disney, otherwise they reserve the right to sue you into oblivion. You know what a copyright is right?

I am not talking about the mod makers here. I am talking about the owner of the Star Wars franchise, Disney. And Disney doesn't F around with their IP, you can NOT use ANY Star Wars IP without licensing it from Disney, otherwise they reserve the right to sue you into oblivion. You know what a copyright is right?

I am well aware of copyright is.  <_< (In fact, I am well aware of This as well)

First of all, I did not realize f***ing Disney was treating their products and assets like eternal gold. But here is a question I am raising up here ... how come This mod has not mentioned any proof they bought a license? Because they haven't shown any proof, they could be grilled at any moment by Disney, correct?

No wonder I gave up Star Wars and became a Trekkie, lol.  :P

First of all, I did not realize f***ing Disney was treating their products and assets like eternal gold. But here is a question I am raising up here ... how come This mod has not mentioned any proof they bought a license? Because they haven't shown any proof, they could be grilled at any moment by Disney, correct?

Entertainment companies are some of the worst. It's a common practice for these companies to make deals with artists that put ownership of the creative IP into the hands of the company, not the artist, then it licenses the artist's own work to them so they can do things with it, which the company then takes another cut of. D may appear all cute and fuzzy but make no mistake they are an entertainment company through and through. SW is their golden cow and they are gonna protect that money making machine from theft.

That mod you speak of is lucky so far. If it ever generates a few bucks and/or some attention creating some blood in the water the sharks will come. Then again maybe they never hear from them, who knows... 50/50 chance. All I know is I never gamble with those odds.

• Like 1

In the past, the owners of SW (LucasArts/Film) have been generous with their tolerance of derived creations, because it gave them a good image and free publicity with SW fan art on youtube, mods etc. I think the term fan-art might be very important. If it's a tribute, parody etc. then its ok. It's different if you make a new product, and lets face it, SW Life would be close to a new product (*cough* dayz *cough). Remember that LucasArts and Disney are very protective of the image of their products, in the end they want total control. If you make some something that looks like a product of theirs and they miss out on money and/or you change the image of their product they will come and get you.

The longer I think about it, the more I feel that creating a life mod of SW is a bad idea, especially if it becomes a succes. There has been too much shit going on with payments, donations, plagiarism etc. I have to admit though, I am subjective, I'm a milsim player and think all the 'life' and zombie stuff is stupid anyway, so please take that in account too, sorry :-)

That mod you speak of is lucky so far. If it ever generates a few bucks and/or some attention creating some blood in the water the sharks will come. Then again maybe they never hear from them, who knows... 50/50 chance. All I know is I never gamble with those odds.

There's no luck involved, the mod is no threat to Disney and we are not selling it. If you look around you'll find many many Star Wars mods and even people selling Star Wars models online. None of these have been given a C & D.

Here's a few good examples:

http://swbattlecry.com/- This ones actually a full game meant to be a successor to BF2. Of all of them you'd expect this one to get a C & D

http://www.moddb.com/mods/first-strike

http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-gaw-mow

• Like 1

There's no luck involved, the mod is no threat to Disney and we are not selling it. If you look around you'll find many many Star Wars mods and even people selling Star Wars models online. None of these have been given a C & D.

http://swbattlecry.com/- This ones actually a full game meant to be a successor to BF2. Of all of them you'd expect this one to get a C & D

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you aren't a threat and that it's ok because other people are doing it, which has never been a sound legal defense... ever. Do you think D's lawyers will care? Sorry to say but anytime you are stepping on the IP of an entertainment company and not getting sued you should consider yourself lucky. There was a private wow server community that thought Blizz wouldn't come after them either, key word is "was" they got sued for 88 million, yes they lost as if there was any doubt.

Nobody said you can't do it, hell you can shoot people if you really want, but there are consequences if the powers that be decide they aren't having any of it. Is it really worth it? *I* don't think so but then again I don't have millions to pay lawyers either so it's not a table I would sit at in the first place.

In the past, the owners of SW (LucasArts/Film) have been generous with their tolerance of derived creations, because it gave them a good image and free publicity with SW fan art on youtube, mods etc. I think the term fan-art might be very important. If it's a tribute, parody etc. then its ok. It's different if you make a new product, and lets face it, SW Life would be close to a new product (*cough* dayz *cough). Remember that LucasArts and Disney are very protective of the image of their products, in the end they want total control. If you make some something that looks like a product of theirs and they miss out on money and/or you change the image of their product they will come and get you.

The longer I think about it, the more I feel that creating a life mod of SW is a bad idea, especially if it becomes a succes. There has been too much shit going on with payments, donations, plagiarism etc. I have to admit though, I am subjective, I'm a milsim player and think all the 'life' and zombie stuff is stupid anyway, so please take that in account too, sorry :-)

It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself you aren't a threat and that it's ok because other people are doing it, which has never been a sound legal defense... ever. Do you think D's lawyers will care? Sorry to say but anytime you are stepping on the IP of an entertainment company and not getting sued you should consider yourself lucky. There was a private wow server community that thought Blizz wouldn't come after them either, key word is "was" they got sued for 88 million, yes they lost as if there was any doubt.

Nobody said you can't do it, hell you can shoot people if you really want, but there are consequences if the powers that be decide they aren't having any of it. Is it really worth it? *I* don't think so but then again I don't have millions to pay lawyers either so it's not a table I would sit at in the first place.

This is probably the reason I became a Trekkie, lol.  :P

This is probably the reason I became a Trekkie, lol.  :P

Well honestly most media/entertainment companies feel the same about their IP's so it isn't just D. It more or less comes down to crossing a line that you don't set where it is so you have no idea if you crossed it or not. I mean you could get away with it, have fun and all is well. Or... you could get sued into oblivion, you just never know who is gonna catch wind of something and take action. There is that inherent risk anytime you step on someones IP and do something with it publicly.