No it would simply mean fly low and behind mountains ;)

20km range means no fly zone on all over the maps :)

some people say- it is cheating to give radar lock on to Surface-to-air missile  systems like in real life...

My two cents is the more realistic the better. Now that I've discovered this modification, I can't imagine Arma without it. AAA and SAM were always few and far between in the OFP/Arma franchise. The vanilla base game could have really benefitted from the likes of hcpookie's units in the first place.

Fingers crossed there'll be a fix soon for the inability to shoot down helicopters with some SAM systems though!

• Like 2

Which ones? :)

Well I've only tested the Buk launchers and the MIM-23. None of which can seem to lock on to choppers either as AI or player, but they happily follow them about when in close proximity..

EDIT (!): I've been an absolute moron... Right, so the Buk and MIM-23s can lock onto helo's if the player does so.

However, it seems to be impossible for AI to lock/shoot down helicopters if I give them control of those launchers. It appears to be a really strange bug. Sorry that I didn't make myself clearer originally!

AMAZING!!!

Great job!

Question, this may only be me and my system, but when I added the mod to my game, it put all of the systems and sites only under BLUFORCE.

Did I miss a step???

That is definitely you.  You should have Site spawners in each faction ( BLU, IND, RED) and pretty sure there are individual vehicles and launchers in those factions also.

Did you include that one small download .pbo file?  (in Pook sam factions.rar)

Let's stop speculating shall we.

All air targets will be targeted by AI.  Period.  It works.  If you don't use the site spawner for management of the AI launchers, then welcome to the world of stupid AI.  You'll have to deal with that.  There are also minimum ranges and the plethora of decision factors that the AI will process to decide whether to shoot or not, as previously mentioned.  AI is MUCH better with the Site Spawners.  MUCH worse without... as in "default AI stupid" worse.  Again, I recommend use of the sites.

All sides have their respective factions' configuration for the vehicles.  Apparently someone hasn't read the Guide!  Read it.  Love it.  The systems for OPFOR and IND will be the AAF faction for reasons I have previously stated.  The additional Factions PBO has nothing to do with this.  Please stop speculating and introducing FUD into the discussion.  Read it in the Guide. 

Hopefully this pic out of the Guide will appear correctly...

sams.jpg

Let's stop speculating shall we.

All air targets will be targeted by AI.  Period.  It works. 

Hi mate, I have to apologise! I thought I did some rather extensive testing when it didn't work the first couple of times...Mods, vanilla only with your mod, forcing certain behaviours, etc, different helicopters.. As the guide states, minimum heights and arming distances play a factor but it appears the thresholds are smaller/shorter for fixed-wing aircraft! So I just went on the editor and placed both the buks and the MIM-23 against choppers further away and at different heights.

Sorry again mate. I genuinely thought it was a bug and that I was being helpful! ;) I've read most of this thread and a lot of people appear very ungrateful when they feedback, so was trying to be tactful.

In any case, all solved! Thanks again for a great mod.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the AI is just stupid.  They don't always like to shoot at things and frankly which is one reason my site scripts work so well, they do actually make AI shoot at things.  I am certain I could refine the individual AI settings to make them work better solo, but that isn't something I intend to do since the sites are really what this is all about. 

Rumor has it that some radar improvements are coming in the next DLC, so fingers crossed some of this bullshit can be retired in favor of built-in behavior.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm interested to see what they do with the Jets DLC.  If they can incorporate some stuff approximating your work that would be great to have it in engine. 
I guess we'll see in 5-15 months, whenever they decide to put out Jets.

What does "FUD" stand for? Also, is it normal when placing a "site", there is only 1 soldier standing, and not any SAM vehicle?

What does "FUD" stand for? Also, is it normal when placing a "site", there is only 1 soldier standing, and not any SAM vehicle?

F'd Up Directions?  Dunno.

Also, yes, in the editor you will show a single soldier that is the site spawner.  The actual Site vehicles, radars, troops and revetments are spawned in via scripts after the mission INIT. Site assets will spawn within a 200 meter radius of the spawner.  Make sure to place in an area that has a lot of clearance.

You can also spawn a site via Zeus (but I am pretty sure the special AI doesn't work on Zeus spawned assets- even sites), by placing a site spawner in a live environment. 

I am 99% positive that Zeus-placed assets should work identical to manually-placed or script-spawned assets, such as random placement via a mission maker's script.  Which is the point.  Mission makers' spawn arrays can have one of these spawn randomly in their mission by adding the site spawn Units to the spawn arrays. 

Others have shared videos where they Zeus the units and they seem to work.  If they don't, then there is a problem somewhere!  The sites should NOT spawn, however, within the 3D editor.

Apparently someone hasn't read the Guide!  Read it.  Love it.  The systems for OPFOR and IND will be the AAF faction for reasons I have previously stated.  The additional Factions PBO has nothing to do with this.  Please stop speculating and introducing FUD into the discussion.  Read it in the Guide.

FUD = Fucked Up Data.  As in stop trying to troubleshoot problems from the "let's make a guess" department which has well intentions but is ultimately counter-productive.  Also, Read the Guide :)

• Like 2

Good to know the Zeus placed site spawners should work just as well.  I haven't had the opportunity to fully test them because my pilots are a bunch of cry-babies ;)

I'll try to wrangle some guys into testing this weekend if possible.

? I must admit I thought Zeus placed was not working ? Brilliant if it does

Any idea why I could not get the vehicles to work with ALiVE Orbat Creator? Just curious as I was trying to build a unit setup with the VME PLA and the vehicles as well.

20km range means no fly zone on all over the maps :)

These are area denial systems.

Fly low or send in SF to take them out with .50 cal sniper rifles.

Great Mod.

I have a ton of create screen shots in Steam of the SA-20's and 21's firing off.

I am having one issue. For some reason, when I put down some of the system, none of the AI want to fight each other.

This has only happened when I have used theses units. This is the only mod I am running at this time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Pook....can please you update your OP to show that you need to download all four parts (Pook 1, 2, 3 and Factions) on the OneDrive instead of the 2 parts that you have referenced? We have a few guys that are finding that the version we were using is not working for us with our mission. 

Thanks for a great mod though and a great guidebook. 

Done, sorry for the typo.  I split it because large downloads sometimes don't do too well for some people.  I would like to combine them but all the d/l problems people have w/ CUP's large downloads persuade me to keep it split up.  A bit tedious I know but at least "it works".

I have no idea about Alive.  Not sure how that works so can't say what could be the problem.

Done, sorry for the typo.  I split it because large downloads sometimes don't do too well for some people.  I would like to combine them but all the d/l problems people have w/ CUP's large downloads persuade me to keep it split up.  A bit tedious I know but at least "it works".

I have no idea about Alive.  Not sure how that works so can't say what could be the problem.

Understand completely about the large downloads and that was not a problem. Our guys were just getting confused not to mention that three of us were referencing the version before 4.3 that is up now, At any rate just so you know ALiVE likes to call each of your missle batteries an objective and it can bog down a server. I discovered that today when my objective count went up from about 85 to well over 1000 with just adding in a nicely placed Chinese ADZ on Tanoa. Time to drop back and punt and see what I can do to get what I need squared away...probably going to have to go with mobile SAM/SHORAD instead of static over the horizon type sites.

I'm not familiar with Alive objectives.  The site spawner should be the only "unit" in play... the remaining units are subservient to the "spawner" unit which is the leader of the site group.  All vehicles that spawn were not designed to be used in a "standalone" mode.  Since most all of them can be placed individually, that may be why Alive is seeing them as "in play".  No idea, really... 

Any site can be disabled to a certain degree by destruction of the central radar system.  There are variable results based on the unit type.  The semi-autonomous vehicles will of course remain somewhat viable even after radar destruction.  Waiting out the site to disband (15 minutes game time as I recall) or direct action against those remaining units will eliminate them as a threat. 

The site spawner has a check to see if another site is already active, and will not spawn a 2nd site to avoid script confusion.  Therefore, any random/scripted spawn solution should in theory allow a mission to have randomly spawned SAM sites with no additional work necessary for the mission planner... simply add the site spawner unit class names to the spawn array for air defense "vehicles".  If the Alive spawn solution is spawning "all" the vehicles in a site, this will become a problem.

On 12/1/2016 at 1:07 AM, reschke said:

Understand completely about the large downloads and that was not a problem. Our guys were just getting confused not to mention that three of us were referencing the version before 4.3 that is up now, At any rate just so you know ALiVE likes to call each of your missle batteries an objective and it can bog down a server. I discovered that today when my objective count went up from about 85 to well over 1000 with just adding in a nicely placed Chinese ADZ on Tanoa. Time to drop back and punt and see what I can do to get what I need squared away...probably going to have to go with mobile SAM/SHORAD instead of static over the horizon type sites.

You should probably set up a blacklisted TAOR to remove OBJ's from the site.  That should drop your OBJ's back to a manageable level.

38 minutes ago, ski2060 said:

You should probably set up a blacklisted TAOR to remove OBJ's from the site.  That should drop your OBJ's back to a manageable level.

I did all that and it still registered over 300 objectives simply because of the sand bag bunkers and associated emplacements with spawned in SAM and AAA sites. It created a need for a major re-write of my mission and taught me a few things about a minimalist approach to mission building in some aspects.