Well reading the above it does sound like Pook's systems are not working correctly when placed in Zeus. So if you're testing them in that environment it could be the reason your getting poor result ?

Regarding these other "it doesn't work correctly" I simply don't have time to repeat things here... they work in the way they work and for the reasons previously stated.

So, re-reading the guide today something in the  first section jumps out to me.  

Paraphrasing "Individually placed site assets (single guns, SAM launchers etc, that are linked in editor to a Radar or Spawned in via Zeus and grouped together) do NOT benefit from the Special AI scripting that you built for Spawned Sites. "

We were doing some testing last night with editor placed sites, and I set out a small 3 gun ZU-23 site attached to an S09 trailer radar. 
It seemed as if the Radar was functioning, as we could target it with ALARMs and even took it out.  

Does the above information about ad-hoc sites mean the units I placed via Zeus are not taking advantage of the Radar targetting abilities at all?  Or are they just not using the enhanced AI scripting you built?  Will the ad-hoc guns attached to that radar be able to get any advantage from having a Radar grouped to them?

Yes, "they will not benefit" means you can hand-place an entire site down to the camo nets... HOWEVER... the "site" will not benefit from the site scripting that provides BVR engagement.  Nor will they be individually commanded to shoot... you would likely get every. single. launcher shooting at once.  If you shoot the radar of a hand-placed site in this fashion, it will not cripple the surrounding vehicles correctly.  Nor will the "site" de-spawn after 10 minutes game time. 

I made these sites spawn in the fashion they spawn on purpose to address some "because Arma" issues.  The scripting of the site spawner units builds all of the site for you in a MP-friendly fashion that is JIP-compatible.  But not usable by a player.

The Zeus things with a new editor subcategory... I can't seem to figure it out.  None of the new editor category stuff such as my camo nets nor my SAM stuff appears in the zeus interface when I try.  The culprit appears to be, maybe, that the new editor subcategories don't get recognized by zeus?  Just guessing on my part...  perhaps someone with more Zeus how-to knowledge can point me in the right direction...?  :)

Noted the "burst mode" error appears when selecting SA10 units.

Edit to add... you CAN load up the default editor category stuff in Zeus.  I'm testing "host your own server" and you can for example add the MAZ-7910 truck, which is under class CARS.  So it would seem the editor category needs to be added to Zeus somehow... anyone have thoughts on that????

Perhaps the clever stuff needs packaging into a module that can be dropped by Zeus next to the hand made battery and then linked in game somehow. Absolutely no idea if that would work, but I share your frustration with why Zeus has to be so different to the normal editor.

What we found is that The SITES are showing up for each faction, and can be placed in Zeus.  They spawn in all the relevant SITE appropriate units. Their behavior is wonky though.

We also found that while in Zeus, you can find the individual units (single AA guns, Radars, SAM Launchers, etc.) from your pack under the EMPTY category.  To man them we would have to place Crewmen from whichever relevant faction we wanted them to represent.
Interestingly, I could only put ONE Crewman into any entity, no matter how many it normally used.  AA Gun, SAM, Radar... it didn't matter.  Only ONE crewman would go in.

BUT!!!  IF you copy (ctrl+c) any unit placed in this matter, then paste (ctrl+v) that unit on the map in another location, it would spawn with the correct number of Air Defense Crewmen that your editor placed units normally spawn with!

Try looking under the EMPTY category for all the non-site-spawner entities.

As far as getting the units to spawn correctly with apropriate crew in directly in Zeus?  I have no clue.   I still have yet to talk to my script guy to see if he can figure it out.

Thanks for taking the time to to answer these questions and help us understand the mod behavior and limitations. 

I do have a question again.  If a Site is placed, then destroyed and cleaned up in the 10 minute time frame, will a duplicate site spawner (that only placed as an Aircrew member) then spawn a new site of the same type?  Or is it only indeed one site of that type per map/mission ?

Well some kind of good news.  Speaking w/ the CUP team there is definitely things that zeus breaks.  The interaction between "vehicleClass" (2d, "legacy" value) and "editorSubclass" is intertwined.  The documentation indicates that "vehicleClass" will be a fall-back value if "editorSubcategory" is not defined. 

The behavior I can now recreate is that it breaks if you have BOTH listed.  Which I do.  Therefore the "legacy" 2D editor class list cannot be organized w/ custom vehicle classes and work with zeus.  They appear to be mutually exclusive.  When "vehicleClass" is removed, the zeus interface appears to be "fixed" in that hte vehicles appear under the new classes such as "Air Defense - SAM" etc.

This appears to be a problem with zeus however it probably won't get fixed since the 3D editor is being pushed down our throats.  You would think Microsoft is forcing it on us LOL

I am now faced with needing to create an update which means yet another download.  SIGH

Or is it only indeed one site of that type per map/mission ?

You're making this too complicated.  It is one type "at a time".  Respawning a new spawner unit after the first one is dead should create another site.

• Like 2

HCPookie,

Sorry man, not trying to be obtuse or anything.  I just want to get as much information to pass to the guys in my unit that make missions and fly planes for us.  That way they know what to expect with editor placed stuff and Zeus placed stuff.
I really don't mean to cause you any more work, but I am glad that you found the root of the issue.

Things work well enough for us now with your system.  Take as much time as you want to get to that, or tell us STFU and deal with it ;)

We really do appreciate all that your mod brings to mission building opportunities.

SA22 error noted.  Sorry about that, was going to be clever and add some more smoke effects at the last minute and gave up on it.  Obviously missed a few things :(

No worries on the questions, glad to see people using it!  Just don't expect too much from the AI arrangements ;)

Doing some more research.  There's already a "laser ammo" in the all-in-one config.  I am researching how I might add the Boeing high-energy laser to my SAM pack.  It would make shoot-downs interesting since no warning before you get shot with it.  Make the damage/reload on it like a slow AAA gun so it would damage "slowly" over time to simulate the burning effects from all those vids. 

If it works, we'll have a "LASER"

dr-evil-air-quotes-laser.jpg

jhjkh6k3j4.png

• Like 1

Oh hell.... "Lasers".... 
That might fit in with the future concepts for ARMA.  Maybe a theater ballistic defense weapon someone has to go in and blow the hell out of?  Hah!

Would you not still need an acquisition radar to find and fix the enemy aircraft?

Oh yeah:  Going in on foot to take down a AAA site with just a couple guys is fun.  Getting blasted in the face by high caliber flak guns.. not so fun ;) 

We threw together a training mission with multiple different sites, standalone guns, and the guys are diggin it so far.  I do have to say those damn site berms really make it hard to take out various guns and launchers even with precision weapons sometimes.

Climb higher :D

No, no future weapons.  Someone else can do that shit.  I'm thinking only of the Boeing HEL in this discussion.

Any chance we could get some sort of module for linking editor-placed SAMs to a radar? Or perhaps a function you could call from the unit's init field. This is mostly so that people could:

A: Replace the crew of the site's vehicles and guns (particularily revelant to RHS users and such).

B: Create custom SAM sites (in particular, sites adapted to difficult terrain) and/or multiple instances of a single type of site.

C: Circumvent the "despawn 10-minutes after main radar destruction" feature of the spawners, for situations where it's not wanted for whatever reason (say, using the mod in a singleplayer mission).

• Like 1

Hmm.. I didn't think of a Module to or just the INIT code for linked units to use the AI code.

Is that something that could be possible Pookie? 

I have noticed that the site spawned crews are coming in without clothing in our mission.  It's kinda funny, bunch of AAF guys running around with Helmets, backpacks, and weapons,

in their skivvies.

I don't know where I would find time to rewrite the entire thing into a module I know nothing about how to do.  Only 24 hours in the day and frankly I plan on keeping this stable at this point.  That's too much to ask, sorry.

Crews without clothing?  No idea.  LOL     I for one haven't seen that but then again I use CUP for the base soldiers. 

Hello, I wanted to ask you whether you are interested in a model helicopter MI-8 AMTSH ... I have a 80% complete model ... would like to offer you its further development ..

I don't know where I would find time to rewrite the entire thing into a module I know nothing about how to do.  Only 24 hours in the day and frankly I plan on keeping this stable at this point.  That's too much to ask, sorry.

How about a function, then? Essentially a script that would take the name of unit being assigned and radar it's being assigned to as arguments. Now, I don't know how you're doing it in the spawner, but this could be as simple as separating that part of the code and executing it as a function (of course, I've never done real ArmA scripting, just Wolfram and some C++, so I don't really know if that'd work).

(of course, I've never done real ArmA scripting, just Wolfram and some C++, so I don't really know if that'd work).

If you write it I'll put it in.

Hi Pook, Been messing with the SAM pack this afternoon. Trying see if we can adopt either the HAWK, NASRAM or Patriot as our Base defence (Much prettier that the Vamilla Tank with guns).

I've had some mixed results... 

All units placed in the editor (I know the sites scripts won't work in Zeus, as discussed above).

When spawning in enemy aircraft the CRAM seems very effective. Able to track and defeat pretty much anything within 1KIM or so. But the Main missile systems seem unable to track or engage until you fly right over the launcher (within 1KM).

What am I doing wrong ? I've read the guide and am above 200m etc. I can see the SAM Guidance radar rotate and lock on then the following errors fire.

17:38:07 Error in expression <m count _launchersArray;
sleep 0.1;

_shooter doTarget _DetectedVehicle;

sl>
17:38:07   Error position: <_shooter doTarget _DetectedVehicle;

sl>
17:38:07   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:38:07 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 92
17:38:11 Error in expression <attachTo [_DetectedVehicle, [0,0,0]];

_shooter fireAtTarget [_DetectedVehicle,>
17:38:11   Error position: <_shooter fireAtTarget [_DetectedVehicle,>
17:38:11   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:38:11 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 109
17:38:29 Error in expression <m count _launchersArray;
sleep 0.1;

sl>
17:38:29   Error position: <_shooter doTarget _DetectedVehicle;

sl>
17:38:29   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:38:29 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 92
17:38:33 Error in expression <attachTo [_DetectedVehicle, [0,0,0]];

17:38:33   Error position: <_shooter fireAtTarget [_DetectedVehicle,>
17:38:33   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:38:33 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 109
17:38:37 Info: Zeus interface queued deletion of Alpha 1-1 group with 0 units inside.
17:38:40 Error in expression <m count _launchersArray;
sleep 0.1;

sl>
17:38:40   Error position: <_shooter doTarget _DetectedVehicle;

sl>
17:38:40   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:38:40 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 92
17:38:44 Error in expression <attachTo [_DetectedVehicle, [0,0,0]];

17:38:44   Error position: <_shooter fireAtTarget [_DetectedVehicle,>
17:38:44   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:38:44 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 109
17:39:19 Error in expression <m count _launchersArray;
sleep 0.1;

sl>
17:39:19   Error position: <_shooter doTarget _DetectedVehicle;

sl>
17:39:19   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:39:19 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 92
17:39:23 Error in expression <attachTo [_DetectedVehicle, [0,0,0]];

17:39:23   Error position: <_shooter fireAtTarget [_DetectedVehicle,>
17:39:23   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:39:23 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 109
17:39:59 Error in expression <m count _launchersArray;
sleep 0.1;

sl>
17:39:59   Error position: <_shooter doTarget _DetectedVehicle;

sl>
17:39:59   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:39:59 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 92
17:40:03 Error in expression <attachTo [_DetectedVehicle, [0,0,0]];

17:40:03   Error position: <_shooter fireAtTarget [_DetectedVehicle,>
17:40:03   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:40:03 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 109
17:40:12 Error in expression <m count _launchersArray;
sleep 0.1;

sl>
17:40:12   Error position: <_shooter doTarget _DetectedVehicle;

sl>
17:40:12   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:40:12 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 92
17:40:16 Error in expression <attachTo [_DetectedVehicle, [0,0,0]];

17:40:16   Error position: <_shooter fireAtTarget [_DetectedVehicle,>
17:40:16   Error Undefined variable in expression: _shooter
17:40:16 File pook_MIM104\scr\INIT_MIM104_SITE_RADAR.sqf, line 109

Now it seems to do that for all the Blufor Nato sites. Not tried the Opfor ones yet.

I also had an odd circumstance where I placed downt he Hawk site and one of the loose Point defence AA guys was an AAF soldier, but Opfor ? He was eventually engaged and killed by the CRAM

What am I doing wrong ? I've read the guide and am above 200m etc. I can see the SAM Guidance radar rotate and lock on then the following errors fire.

I'll look at that.  I may have tested that w/ the rpt disabled because I should have seen those errors.  They shouldn't cause the SAM to fail however, just chatty.

I also had an odd circumstance where I placed downt he Hawk site and one of the loose Point defence AA guys was an AAF soldier, but Opfor ? He was eventually engaged and killed by the CRAM

Hrm, not sure because they should be on the same side as the rest of the site.  I'll look at those classes.

Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

Hi hcpookie
I see some error codes when I put mim-104 site and an enemy airplane

Do you know the reason?

I use following modes

@POOK;@ace;@Mocap;@CBA_A3

o55f1j.jpg

Same problem here 

But I got that errors when placing SA-20 and in line 94

Addons: CBA, POOK, ACE, RHS

Also, about manual palcing parts of SAM sites. Is it possible to make "spawner" unit which will actually spawn parts of SAM site in editor so we can drag it? Cose starteging placing of each part of site important too. Or for it you also need to rewrite all things? 

And other question: if i'll put manually  radar+ SAM launchers +other parts, make radar unit commander will the site act like one unit or each part will act separetly (and yes I have read manual=)     

From what he explained before, if you place the pieces separately and group them it will NOT use the special AI code that lets the site target aircraft beyond visual range. 

So, manually placed units will only shoot at things in their general vicinity, and the whole battery will fire at once.

Interesting as online sources indicate 40 not 100.  People bitch when it is 40.  People bitch when it is 100 LOL

• Like 1

TCAGame is a server administration tool.  Dunno why it would be kicking anyone?  Unless it's tied into BattleEye on that server.