The decision was made to make them static, non-towable.  Too many scripting factors if they could be towed, simply not worth it for something that would arguably never be used other than "wow that's cool".

The self-propelled launchers are however drivable as I'm sure you've already noticed.  The SAM SITE VEHICLES are all locked and should be completely un-enterable by players.  If they can be entered, that is a bug and I need to fix it.

I've been playing with it some along with my EF-2000 (coming soon).  The SA10 missiles seem to be flying too fast.  There appears to be some calibration difference between A2 and A3.  It appears they all need to have their flight speed reduced by at least 10%.  This warrants more play-time testing :)

Ah, okay I see :(

Me and my mates are playing completly without ai (cant stand it), and were looking forward to assemble a complete SAM-site on our own, you know - driving to a fitting location, deploying the whole stuff and so on... well, thats a downer -.- On the russian side, nearly everything seems do be driveable/usable/deployable by players, on US side its very little content that can be moved by players - but anyway, you did a great job with this package! I simply love it!!!

To add on top of what was said about zeus its completly disabled the US army faction and some others in cup.

Also, some of the drivable vehicles have no engine sounds and turn REALLY fast (s-125 is one of them)

in Editor unity falls during a sharp turn, if enabled this addon.

who have noticed similar?

Love the Mod, your creations were awesome in Arma 2 and your great work carries on :) , When I see your name or Eggbeast I know for a fact its gonna be another glorious mod to enhance the entertainment of the game by 10 fold at least.    

Only problem I have noticed is the Tunguska has a pretty easy roll factor  (cant have anything to do with the fact I drive like a maniac :))  traveling downhill it rolls fairly easily if sharp left or right need to be made.    AI does it less but also rolling on flat ground,  most likely just a small tweak to the cfg.,  but since I am still studying addon making I wont even attempt the change myself.

Ill give this a mod a 9.8 outa 10.  

For those of you who dont download this and play, your loss,  I for one am open to reasonable amount of change.  Screw it Ill change my rating to 10/10 good job Pookie :D

Locking on aircrafts and attacking them beyond visual range (10-30km?) Is something only ai can do with these systems or is it possible for player crews too? If yes, how does it work?

no, your range to lock will be based on your viewdistance, the accuracy and camouflage values of your opponent, and the local weather conditions. however you should be able to engage at 7km+

the scripts pook wrote allow the AI to target you much further away.

Awwww thanx for the answer. As far as i understand it now this mod is close to AI usable only? If the launcher systems work like normal vanilla aa systems when player controlled, the radar systems do no work for players (?) And most of the sam site units arent prepared for players this sadly isnt the pack me and my team hoped for :(

As mentioned we dont use any AI at all, just pure tactical strategic TvT. We hoped to get some systems for both russian and us sides to prevent those pesky jets from striking our ground forces, where vanilla or other mod AA units are nearly rendered useless. But anyway you did a great job on those vehicles. Wished so hard it would benefit TvT without Ai :'D

you misunderstand, in rather dramatic language, if i may say.

what other air defence mod would you choose lol

this is THE air defence mod.  try it, love it.

You CANNOT go beyond view distance limitations, PERIOD.  AI rely on the scipts I have concocted to go beyond view distance.  I you can figure a solution to see beyond 3km then I welcome it.

You are right, I didnt want to be unappreciative, sry :(

I know for sure there isnt any other AA-mod out there and maybe Im getting stuff wrong about how to use the different components of the units but where is the benefit for a team manning a launcher vehicle with 3 men, a fire Control radar vehicle with 3 men, setting up an airradar and maybe some utility vehicles when a vanilla tigris could do the same job with far less effort. Those guys in the radar vehicle wouldnt even serve any purpose (as far as i unterstand it). You know what i mean? I cant tell 3 guys in a match to sit in a vehicle that does nothing. They would ask me what purpose their radar vehicle has, and that would be a pretty good question. So pls correct me if im wrong, but the only vehicles in a “player only scenario“ without bots in this pack that can be used with purpose are the launcher units and those are not very different from other aa vehicles?

Pls dont be mad with me, just wanted to know if i can make any use of these cool vehicles for my team... its just so damn awesome

Pls dont be mad with me, just wanted to know if i can make any use of these cool vehicles for my team... its just so damn awesome

There are a few of the Russian vehicles that have their own radar built into the actual vehicle...don't know if that might be something for you to try. Can't remember the class name off the top of my head.Just know one had machine guns as well as missiles, began with a P, and was crazy accurate.

You are right, I didnt want to be unappreciative, sry :(

I know for sure there isnt any other AA-mod out there and maybe Im getting stuff wrong about how to use the different components of the units but where is the benefit for a team manning a launcher vehicle with 3 men, a fire Control radar vehicle with 3 men, setting up an airradar and maybe some utility vehicles when a vanilla tigris could do the same job with far less effort. Those guys in the radar vehicle wouldnt even serve any purpose (as far as i unterstand it). You know what i mean? I cant tell 3 guys in a match to sit in a vehicle that does nothing. They would ask me what purpose their radar vehicle has, and that would be a pretty good question. So pls correct me if im wrong, but the only vehicles in a “player only scenario“ without bots in this pack that can be used with purpose are the launcher units and those are not very different from other aa vehicles?

No seriously... if you know of a way to enable far-range engagements I am all ears.  I had to tweak the hell out of the ARM scripts to make it work beyond veiw distance.  Really frustrating!  The "detect and auto fire" script was the only way I could figure how to make it work :(

• Like 1

Hey hcpookie, I´m trying to test this awesome mod (on the "target perspective") and so far wasn´t able to hear the RWR when your SAMs are engaging my jet (using with Firewills F-16C, spawned with MCC and using the code [_this, 5] addEventHandler ["incomingMissile", { _this execVM '\pook_SAM\scripts\incomingRWR.sqf'}]; )

I´d suspect something was wrong with the init code, and when I´ve tried to create a mission from scratch on the editor, when I add this to an air unit, I got an error "local variable in global space"... is this syntax alright?

[EDIT] I can hear the Vanilla RWR sounds (or ACE rwr if that´s the case)... I just can´t hear the custom RWRs you´ve added as the init code doesn´t work (syntax error), the editor doesn´t let me use them =)

I really want to make a proper Iron Hand mission with F-16s and F/A-18E/X trying hard to hit a SA-10 site... or die trying lol

cheers!

Well thank you for your hard work. Just a comment here; NASAMS and Pantsir are very powerful and accurate but Patriot and S10-20 are not good. Most of the times Patriot missiles just turn a circle around the target like crazy and even when they hit, nothing happens but just a puff effect. It takes a lot of success shots to take down one plane. It's huge a missile for gods sake! S10-20 are more accurate but not  powerful enough. 

It's disappointing when a S20 site can't destroy four AC-130 (USAF 2015). Seem the bigger they are, the weaker they are :(  

Had some more fun testing, those poor things :D

@POOK, First let me say thank you for the port. I had all your work in ARMA 2. and am thoroughly please that you are moving some assets over to A3. 

I have a question as well. 

I am a member.teamleader of a small infantry team. non of our missions require the use of any of the CUP stuff. we just dont need 5million factions from arma2. 

is there any way to just get the vehicles with out the CUP dependency? i can understand the desire to promote CUP.. but haveing to download all that just to use your mod as a bit much to me. and my community. its quite the downer.. 

I would like to use your assets as objectives IE defend the SAM. or Destory the SAM. what have you but in order to have this on my dedi I would have to add two HUGE mods that NOONE in my team uses AT ALL... 

If there is ANY way to get an optional config for just the vehicles. or one that uses the default OPFOR/BLUFOR factions that would be AWESOME!

Thanks for the reply,in advance of any yes or no.  

ALSO, PS. I have tested RHS:ESC (a mod we do use) along side the CUP assets.. and i get alot of pop up errors... so using those to mods together is not an option. So from my stand point there is an awesome mod release that i cannot use AT ALL because i simply dont have the space to download all the CUP assets just to use this ONE small mod in tandum.

they do, if you turn up your viewdistance, Last weekend I killed an Mi24 7km away with a patriot on Gulf of Aqaba map.  This is pretty routine.

To the guy going on about why use this without AI:

- the AI use is for co-op missions where you can spawn a SAM site that wrecks your human team coming in without huge amounts of forethought / recon/ stealth etc.  This is a massive asset to the gameplay in co-op.

- for human players - the vehicles you can put a few together - i recommend a pantsir and an S20 launcher for kicks.  then when air threats pop up (and if you have team mates reconning a few miles away, they can report (reveal) a target to you) you can nail em real fast and effective with the new kit.

- the AAA is different because it airbursts and does huge damage

- the bigger SAMs work better at longer distances, or they can spiral around your plane occasionally.  Even better, though they can turn around after a near miss and come back to hunt you!  This has happened to me and my team-mates on a many occasions. the poor pilot has to throw himself all over the sky emptying his countermeasures pods and even ejecting to survive.

- regarding CUP, that has been answered already. get over it.  these assets are cold war and modern era. if you want to use em in the futuristic bullshit that we all detest, that's up to you, but you'll need to load CUP to do it. end of discussion.

just go play the game for a bit before haunting this thread with your worries guys. 

I don't wanna be rude but you are sounding like a bunch of kids with too much enthusiasm but dont wanna get your feet wet!

go to it then report back after extensive usage. it's really boring to hear worries and fears when we have played with this kit for the best part of a year and are completely happy with it (in A2).

pook genuinely does want reports back about real bugs, with detail on how to reproduce it. as this is his first A3 vehicle port, this is important and useful feedback to get in.

Patriot and S10-20 are not good. Most of the times Patriot missiles just turn a circle around the target like crazy and even when they hit, nothing happens but just a puff effect. 

how far away are they when you fire at them?  these bigger missiles work better at longer ranges.

that "puff effect" is a real world airburst, and it does damage to the planes. from repeat testing if this damage isn't enough for some of the community-made planes, then perhaps an increase in damage is warranted.  we have no experience of arma 3 planes really. 

In A2 we use about 30 planes we have edited and so we know the armor values for each, and have tweaked the damage etc to work well with those planes.  In A2 they shred your aircraft with airburst, leaving you the option of a forced landing or ejecting, if you are still alive that is.  this was a deliberate design to increase gameplay.  if they just killed you every time it would be boring.

• Like 1

how far away are they when you fire at them? these bigger missiles work better at longer ranges.

From repeat testing if this damage isn't enough for some of the community-made planes, then perhaps an increase in damage is warranted.

About 1,5 km.

That's what I'm talking about. NASAMS and Pantsir can one shot each targets so why S300 can't!

And one more thing. It is not possible to get a laser lock by using lala14's TGP system on launchers or radars (at least S20. Don't know about others yet). Except vehicles like Tors. It can not find them as a target and every time I try to get a manual lock by pressing ctrl+T key on them, the pointer just goes away from targeted area. I think some parameters are not correct about them to make'em act as a normal target. Because with that TGP system it's even possible to lock on buildings by auto detect (spam T toward them) or manually.

- regarding CUP, that has been answered already. get over it.  these assets are cold war and modern era. if you want to use em in the futuristic bullshit that we all detest, that's up to you, but you'll need to load CUP to do it. end of discussion.

It also important to remember that mods such as RHS and Veteran mod are a thing, and as of now both lack and sort of SAM systems and while i like the idea of CUP, it at such a size where it often requires other groups to either drop other large mods or have a stupidly large pack. 

• Like 3

It also important to remember that mods such as RHS and Veteran mod are a thing, and as of now both lack and sort of SAM systems and while i like the idea of CUP, it at such a size where it often requires other groups to either drop other large mods or have a stupidly large pack. 

It is also important to remember that not everyone likes RHS.

RHS has no intention to make their Addons play nice with others, and puts that responsibility to other addon makers. While I respect that decision, other addon makers are also free to not make their addon compatible/Depend on with RHS.
What mods a certain group uses is their responsibility, and it's their responsibility to make sure their modpack works nice together and not the mod authors problem.
  • Like 1

for any ports that use the old arma 2 kit, CUP is a basic necessity. 

all of the kit we port into arma 3, and the extensive list of candidates is here is going to require CUP

as this saves US a LOT of time guys. so get used to it eh, or don't use the mod.

i'm not gonna reply about CUP again and nor is pook.

I'm here to help people understand the mod and how to use it.

• Like 1

It is not possible to get a laser lock by using lala14's TGP system on launchers or radars

what config entries need to be added to the vehicles? can you provide info please? 

we have like zero hours played in A3 since 2014

• Like 1