Sign in to follow this  
mind

Trees, rocks, bushes... we will see them in Eden?

Dear BI,

From my friends friend i heard, that in later updates of Eden, there will be classnames for all vegetation (trees, bushes, rocks, flowers...) available directly in editor (e.g. scope 2).

Is it actual reality or nonsense?

If true, I will open a bottle of best champagne in your honor!

We're planning general object revision as we get closer to the release. As a result, most of existing objects with classes will be made available (scope = 2) and in more logical categories than now. The reason why it's planned for later is because it will also affect 2D editor.

However, vegetation or rocks won't be among these, because they intentionally don't have config to save performance.

Well i can decrease performance in milion other ways in Arma, like spawn 5000 units. In fact in most cases, "bad performance" is due to bad scripting.

Few additional trees, exectly where they are so needed, will not decrease performance too much, but will open many posibilities for mission makers.

From what i know there are only one mod offering vegetation it is Antorugby`s Arma`s nature.

And finally here are some tests,

on first screenshot you can see 500 deferent trees and biggest rocks i could find. FPS decresed from 220 (empty mission) to 170.

on second screenshots you can see 500 containers. FPS decresed from 220 (empty mission) to 180.

2015_12_07_00001.jpg 2015_12_07_00002.jpg

Not that much in my opinion..

Well i can decrease performance in milion other ways in Arma, like spawn 5000 units. In fact in most cases, "bad performance" is due to bad scripting.

Few additional trees, exectly where they are so needed, will not decrease performance too much, but will open many posibilities for mission makers.

From what i know there are only one mod offering vegetation it is Antorugby`s Arma`s nature.

And finally here are some tests,

on first screenshot you can see 500 deferent trees and biggest rocks i could find. FPS decresed from 220 (empty mission) to 170.

on second screenshots you can see 500 containers. FPS decresed from 220 (empty mission) to 180.

2015_12_07_00001.jpg 2015_12_07_00002.jpg

Not that much in my opinion..

Stresstest them on Alts rather than VR level. VR is no measure of performance impact.

Moricky meant that adding configs to these things would impact performance, not adding them on the map.

Moricky meant that adding configs to these things would impact performance, not adding them on the map.

That was what i thought first, however i was not able to figure out, how adding configs may impact performance.

If you know, can you please explain?

That was what i thought first, however i was not able to figure out, how adding configs may impact performance.

If you know, can you please explain?

Someone please correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe it's because hard coding something in C++ will be handled by the runtime library rather than having to be offloaded to the game engine. It all ultimately ends up as native code to your CPU, so you are essentially taking the most efficient route. I'm pretty sure there are also other implications specific to the game engine, though.