Sign in to follow this  
thebaconjedi

Latest Patch A Backwards Step

I know all the elitist "armchair warriors" are going to say things like its a milsim and stamina is realistic.

But... NEW FLASH! Its a game so please try to bear in mind that there are still some people out there who enjoyed playing ArmA3 for the fun game that it was before this patch turned into something that caused good players to rage quit :unsure:

So on to my questions:

Is there a way to disable this new stamina system and is there a list of what might be broken or altered by the changes to the game? (regarding existing mods) I've noticed players on the server I game with saying its impossible to make an effective "multirole kit loadout" with this new system without the game performing like Fallout or Skyrim by limiting you to a very slow walking pace if you go just 1 milligram over your load limit. (EG: MX rifle with smoke grenades and a PCML with 1 or 2 rockets and first aid kits). We love playing ArmA and would very much like to continue doing so without having the "ACE mod features" forced upon us.

No offense is intended to anyone. I just want to be able to help the people I game with to keep on gaming.

• Like 1

You can disable the stamina system with this command. I think that every PvP Server like King of the Hill or Wasteland will turn the stamina system off, its just take time to decide and test it.

Edited by KokaKolaA3

On the other hand ARMA series are  not advertised as "Casual-Action FPS"

There are BETTER games to have fun ..and i m sure you are aware of such titles.

I remember someday playing KotH (2 years before)..every player had a "Ghillie+Suppr.Sniper+Rocket Launcher".

The moment i left the *such servers/gamemodes forever.

Sorry thats no fun -either tactical..

To fully enjoy this game you must work as a team-meaning you SHOULD give your teamate

the chance to do something with HIS speciality (Be it  AT/AA/Demo/Medic)

I m sure there are tweakings (and should be) for any mission maker to build EXACTLY the mission he wants

..but the Cyborg's powers+loadout must stop be the default behavior imo. (no offense intended)

(Your friendly KotH mision maker CAN make you happy again with 2 lines of code)

EG: MX rifle with smoke grenades and a PCML with 1 or 2 rockets and first aid kits

I noticed when playing End Game on Zaros that the vanilla AT Rifleman loadout had changed to a .45 Vermin on the NATO side of things and wondered what that was about. For the first few seconds at least. That was when I noticed that carying a single rocket launcher loaded with just one rocket basically makes you so heavy you can not carry a heavier weapon than a Vermin and still run with it. Especially if you carry a second rocket. I think the system is in need of tweaking and while i don't think it is neccesarriily a bad system it feels to much like an acarde game with the current values for fatigue/stamina. IMHO they should make adjustments to the system. We are playing as well trained soldiers used to the burden they are carying. While I know from personal experience just how far you can (well can't) sprint with 30-40 kilos on your back it was still farther than what they make it look like in the game. 
It is ridiculous that I start every game of End Game I played so far by dumping half my equipment on the ground for the assault on the FOB just so i can sprint a little longer and get a head start on the other team. 

The real issue that I have with the system at te moment is that deploying your weapon has no benefit right now. You expose yourself and root yourself in place and your weapon does not even stop shaking all over the place. Curently you don't need to bother deploying your weapon while fatigued. Therefor that whole part of the game mechanic is redundant. I'd at least like to see that part fixed.
  • Like 1

I noticed when playing End Game on Zaros that the vanilla AT Rifleman loadout had changed to a .45 Vermin on the NATO side of things and wondered what that was about. For the first few seconds at least. That was when I noticed that carying a single rocket launcher loaded with just one rocket basically makes you so heavy you can not carry a heavier weapon than a Vermin and still run with it. Especially if you carry a second rocket. I think the system is in need of tweaking and while i don't think it is neccesarriily a bad system it feels to much like an acarde game with the current values for fatigue/stamina. IMHO they should make adjustments to the system. We are playing as well trained soldiers used to the burden they are carying. While I know from personal experience just how far you can (well can't) sprint with 30-40 kilos on your back it was still farther than what they make it look like in the game. 

It is ridiculous that I start every game of End Game I played so far by dumping half my equipment on the ground for the assault on the FOB just so i can sprint a little longer and get a head start on the other team. 

The real issue that I have with the system at te moment is that deploying your weapon has no benefit right now. You expose yourself and root yourself in place and your weapon does not even stop shaking all over the place. Curently you don't need to bother deploying your weapon while fatigued. Therefor that whole part of the game mechanic is redundant. I'd at least like to see that part fixed.

The bourdon they are trained to carry? Alright look, I'm no soldier, but I damned well got the chance to shoulder a Javelin. I'll tell you first hand, that thing in all its weight and glory, is no fun to hold, even when stationary. I honestly could not imagine a soldier walking around with that damned thing in lots of heat with a rifle, hindering gear, ammo, medical supplies, a helmet that jacks up his vision and comfort, water canteen AND armor plating. This is why I have requested BI put in a logistics system to help bolster infantry gameplay and tactics. The game should require the ability to allow Infantry to actively set up outposts in game to keep heavy equipment close to a combat position, this way, it's not a constant run from base to battle to base to battle with gear that weighs you down. People the failure comes when people try to play this game like a casual game. It's not. It's also boring that way. Arma should allow infantry freedom to do certain tasks that benefit gameplay. Taking gear, setting up an outpost with the help of logistics, and storing your important kits there, while a scout goes and scouts out the enemy. Scout reports back what you should bring, based on the Intel gathered. This provides for a much more realistic, and fun experience, because you don't know where the enemy can come from, and it's not repetitive. It's also fun crafting an FOB or FARP live during gameplay. These kinds of things are missing from what Bohemia no longer call a Simulator, but an "Infantry Focused Combined Arms Sandbox". This is where the problem lies. It's not a casual game. Arma is still missing key features that will make it shine.

The bourdon they are trained to carry? Alright look, I'm no soldier, but I damned well got the chance to shoulder a Javelin. I'll tell you first hand, that thing in all its weight and glory, is no fun to hold, even when stationary. I honestly could not imagine a soldier walking around with that damned thing in lots of heat with a rifle, hindering gear, ammo, medical supplies, a helmet that jacks up his vision and comfort, water canteen AND armor plating. This is why I have requested BI put in a logistics system to help bolster infantry gameplay and tactics. The game should require the ability to allow Infantry to actively set up outposts in game to keep heavy equipment close to a combat position, this way, it's not a constant run from base to battle to base to battle with gear that weighs you down. People the failure comes when people try to play this game like a casual game. It's not. It's also boring that way. Arma should allow infantry freedom to do certain tasks that benefit gameplay. Taking gear, setting up an outpost with the help of logistics, and storing your important kits there, while a scout goes and scouts out the enemy. Scout reports back what you should bring, based on the Intel gathered. This provides for a much more realistic, and fun experience, because you don't know where the enemy can come from, and it's not repetitive. It's also fun crafting an FOB or FARP live during gameplay. These kinds of things are missing from what Bohemia no longer call a Simulator, but an "Infantry Focused Combined Arms Sandbox". This is where the problem lies. It's not a casual game. Arma is still missing key features that will make it shine.

If you want to know more about what Soldiers have to and can carry watch the scenes in the documentary "Restrepo" about Operation Rock Avalance.

From personal experience I can tell you that you can jog  with a machinegun in your hands and even with a assault rifle and a rocket launcher on your back for quite some time. Same goes for full combat gear. Now when it comes to running, that is a different thing and sprinting is pretty much going to put you out of comission for a time if you try to do it farther than say 10 or 20 meters. And with a day bag for a 2 day operation total equipment weights of 120 pounds are not uncomon.

Go to love them foot patrols. They so great. 

Sadly where the game clashes with me sometimes is my personal military experience. I know other current or former members of the military who are also players of Arma and express the same notions. Civilians often don't understand just how far you can push your body. In todays life you rarely have to go past what your body deems exertion or fatigue. Just because your body tells you that you should stop does not mean that you are running on empty. On the contrary. Your body is a lazy bum and can carry more, and go way farther and longer than he wants to admit. That is one of the tings you learn in Basic Training. They don't put you through that for fun but to show you just how far you can push yourself.

Once you got that internalized fatigue is simply another feeling you have. Much like hunger. You don't just keel over because you get hungry. All in all you can go on long after fatigue has set in. This though is also one of the reasons soldiers have advised Kcal intakes that are almost double those for civilians. Personally I don't think puting your body through such stress is advisable. I only have to think about any profesional athlete and know that pushing your body too far for too long has its repercussions and can lead to serious injuries and health problems. Still it is very possible.

The same goes for the issue of weapon sway I mentioned earlier. You can run arround the block a couple of times but if you use your gun with a bipod or rest it on something weapon sway is nothing your will notice. No matter how heavy our breathing. Even in QCB weapon sway will not come in efect exept if you are close to total exhaustion and can not keep your weapon steady simply because your arms can no longer suport its weight.

I agree with you on the point that Arma could be expanded by many things that are currently only provided by mods.

About how this game should or can be played I am not going to argue with anyone because it is a sandbox game. As per definition you can do whatever you like with it. At least that is my standpoint on the issue. That does not mean I don't have my preference. In this case, with Arma 3, it has been Milsim and Tactical Realism since I bought the game back in Alpha.

Fuel depletion for vehicles needed.

As it is now, hardly any use for fuel trucks which is sad it's not incorporated into the base vanilla game.  You can drive forever and never need fuel.

Can you add into a module to run on dedicated servers for fuel uptake? The one thing that's missing badly in Arma3 is shorter fuel time. The islands are half the size, so the fuel should be double the speed of fuel consumption.  On Tom's blog tom_48_97, he has scripted an uptake script but I can't seem to make it work for the clients on a dedicated server. http://tom4897.info/...el-consumption/It  increases the fuel uptake taking into account the speed of the player vehicle. The script doesn't cancel and replace the default, it adds to it and the base consumption of ground vehicle is already greater.