Sign in to follow this  
sinny

You should make an Post Apocalyptic MMO

Hi, 

I just want to share my wet dream: BIS making an post apocalyptic MMO!

If anyone could pull off the next great MMO that are not like the others, i think its BIS!

Please please consider this!

1514f81d-3557-4b42-8c49-b68c5d144fce.jpg

• Like 1

Im talking about an MMO! Like wow, age of conan and star wars galaxies.

I think BIS could pull it off!

imagine user build citys, user build vehicles and weapons... And add the social thing to it with different guilds and faction...

YES YES YES!

No, i´m talking about an MMO with thousands of players in a huge world...

No, i´m talking about an MMO with thousands of players in a huge world...

And how, prey tell, do you suggest getting all this UGC in? Arma servers can barely handle 200 people, how the hell is the engine going to support 2000 odd

Trust me, It's a cool idea, but pretty unworkable.

They would of course have to build a new engine for it. However, with as many elements as possible from arma series.

I think dayz became so popular because you could log off and log on and continue playing where you left off. As in an MMO on a small scale .

And i would like to see such a game from BIS because they have an eye for detail and realism. Their " maps " are they the most stunning out there in the gaming industry...

If anyone could do this right, it´s BIS...

That is a terrible proposition.Dayz and all that stuff really detract from what BI does best-which is ARMA. it is a completely unique game unlike any other,whereas there are dozens of "post apocalypse" settings in games. Just play one of those and let's keep arma the way it should be.

Also-I love BI,but let's be honest-their games are PLAGUED with bugs.I can only imagine what a disaster an MMO would be lol :D

That is a terrible proposition.Dayz and all that stuff really detract from what BI does best-which is ARMA. it is a completely unique game unlike any other,whereas there are dozens of "post apocalypse" settings in games. Just play one of those and let's keep arma the way it should be.

Also-I love BI,but let's be honest-their games are PLAGUED with bugs.I can only imagine what a disaster an MMO would be lol :D

Actually, i think they have come a long way with the bugs... Arma 3 is smooth as silk and its just minor stuff/bugs imho...

Actually, i think they have come a long way with the bugs... Arma 3 is smooth as silk and its just minor stuff/bugs imho...

I agree they have come a long way.And A3 is quite bug free now.But it's alpha was 3 years ago-let's not forget that.Anyway thats just my opinion-I dont like MMOs and I dont like zombie/apocalypse stuff.

I agree they have come a long way.And A3 is quite bug free now.But it's alpha was 3 years ago-let's not forget that.

Unless you're comparing against traditionally closed alpha (and beta) development I'm not sure how this would be related to whatever Bohemia might do in the future... although I for one noticed that seemingly every Bohemia title post-Arma 3 other than Arma Tactics is early access. Ylands may have broken the Steamworks streak, but I wonder if early access is their plan from hereon out...

@OP: You've elaborated on what you want and ceded that a new engine would be necessary... but I'm still not sure that this is feasible even with the new Enfusion engine (currently being implemented in DayZ) simply because I'm not sure how one could pull off something that plays like DayZ (in terms of mechanics/controls) but on a bigger-than-DayZ scale without getting (even more) "game-y" and away-from-realistic than what DayZ already does even with its smaller player counts.

Just to clarify, I do not want a Dayz MMO, I would would like to see a mix of fallout and Mad Max but in a new darker way...

Just to clarify, I do not want a Dayz MMO, I would would like to see a mix of fallout and Mad Max but in a new darker way...

... so even more different from what Bohemia's already done? I'm still not seeing how you want to bridge the gap here between "DayZ with a higher player count" and "traditional MMO", much less what Fallout and Mad Max have to do with this idea-wise.

Maybe ArmA 4 will have a more post-apocalyptic feel to it if they decide to take the series further into the future. Imagine a Tiberian Sun only with a much more sim-feeling and full control over individual units. ;p

Maybe ArmA 4 will have a more post-apocalyptic feel to it if they decide to take the series further into the future. Imagine a Tiberian Sun only with a much more sim-feeling and full control over individual units. ;p

I would prefer a "back to the past" route :)

I would prefer a "back to the past" route :)

Aka OFP 2, the true successor to OFP that would continue the story of renegade Soviet generals, the Resistance movement, Nogova Republic, Malden Island, etc.  :P

Question is just if BI could get back the rights to OFP name and it would also be a departure from the current evolution of the ArmA series which is evolving towards the future.

Oh god no! I do not want the arma 4 with future stuff like arma 3...

Arma should only have "what exists and beeing used today" no concept things...

Regarding the MMO, i want it the classic way, a login screen and you play as your character wich has certain abilities that you level up etc

Question is just if BI could get back the rights to OFP name and it would also be a departure from the current evolution of the ArmA series which is evolving towards the future.

Bohemia's stance over a year ago was that they don't even want the name back, not after Red River:

Codemasters put out another Operation Flashpoint game called Operation Flashpoint: Red River, but it had become squad-based and tactical, more like Ghost Recon than the original Operation Flashpoint, Å panel says. "That's when the brand lost any value for us." Even if Codemasters was selling it, Bohemia wouldn't buy it, not today. "There's a great [military simulation] brand," quips Buchta. "It's Arma." And when the Operation Flashpoint 1 publishing contract expired, Bohemia formally renamed Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis to Arma: Cold War Assault.

Unofficially... it's probably a thing where someone realizes that however much the olden-timers may love it, the OFP name probably has no mind share/brand power for those who got into the series once it was Arma.

If they develop an MMO (an unlikely scenario and one I hope they will never do) they will have to expand their studio massively. They will need constant content creators with the eventual content creep of modern MMOs and many support staff and programmers to constantly look at netcode and server performance, one of the most painful things. Another thing about MMOs is that people with potato computers somehow think they are entitled to run it perfectly, so that means using an extremely specific and catered engine to maximize performance. That means a year or two developing an engine for it. (something that really isn't BI's strong point)

So are you going to dump money for a few years for a shady and uncertain prospect that could easily fail and cost the company millions, or continue improving their existing IP? The reason the company makes their other games is because its so easy to make based on their existing engines and with *ahem* limited content... there aint shit on mars compared to a modern battlefield.