BohemiaBeck

Arma 3 Units - Feedback thread

Everybody who wants to join a unit must have a BI-account. So I thought that it would be easy to communicate with the members of our unit by forum PM. Unfortunately not all of our 27 members can be found on the members list. Here are the names of the members of our unit who are not listed as members of the forum:

- Dominus Aquilae

- Knochenbone

- Jason Miles

- WatchUr6

- B4d Horse

- Mantilla

- Fridelcastro

- Duke Debil

- zuck

- nephilum

- michaelzwerg

- RedLabel

- [A] Salbei

- Slant_

- CColumbus

- Isamu

- PandaAdler

Am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with the members list of the forum? If there is another way of contacting unit members who have joined the unit while the recruitment status was "open" please kindly let me know.

By the way, I have changed the recruitment status to "private" and found that applicants have the option to provide an email address. Perhaps it would be good to make this compulsory so that it is possible to get back to an applicant easily.

Another alternative is to manage applications traditionally through our website. Then we surely get the contact information of our applicants but they may or may not bother to register to our Arma3-unit which is also not ideal.

Ok all i need to know is does the arma 3 unit work as a xml or not because i but my url in the place it goes in my arma 3 profile but when i play i get no tag pic nothing also i tried to redo my xml from here to  https://armasquads.com/i had one but it stopped working so i re did it and nothing works there to does anyone have any clue why

Ok all i need to know is does the arma 3 unit work as a xml or not because i but my url in the place it goes in my arma 3 profile but when i play i get no tag pic nothing also i tried to redo my xml from here to  https://armasquads.com/i had one but it stopped working so i re did it and nothing works there to does anyone have any clue why

armasquads works

I am having alot of trouble uploading my unit patch while creating a unit. When I resize my patch to the required 400x400 ratio, the file size exceeds the 300kb limit. Please either lower the ratio limit or higher the file size limit. All my patch is, is the name of the group and patch with camo backround. Ive tried editing the picture several times and as it is i cannot get the file under 325 kb with the current restriction on ratio.

I am having alot of trouble uploading my unit patch while creating a unit. When I resize my patch to the required 400x400 ratio, the file size exceeds the 300kb limit. Please either lower the ratio limit or higher the file size limit. All my patch is, is the name of the group and patch with camo backround. Ive tried editing the picture several times and as it is i cannot get the file under 325 kb with the current restriction on ratio.

when you save your png file adjust the compression bit rate. it might mess it up a litte, but if you have no alpha channel it should work ok.

i use paint.net and it worked for me doing it this way. have a 512x512 and came in at 132kb. lots of alpha though, more colour might be more problematic.

Hello guys,

so, we've created our unit "Garde Républicaine - PI 3.II", and my mate invited me to join the group. But, i found and joined it before i accepted his invitation. And he then transferred ownership to me. But, his invitation was still pending, and not knowing if i should accept it or refuse to get rid of the invitation window : i accepted it.

Long story short : we've lost ownership. 

Could you put one of us back in charge of the squad ?

Thanks.

Hello...Im from germany and I hope you will understand what Iam talking about ^^

I create a own Unit at https://units.arma3.com

But where can i see the XML Link to put it in my Profile ?

Hope you can help me.

There is not one. Login to Bohemia units page.

In profile link your steam profile

In a3 launcher on dashboard see unit. Tick box top right. Run game in multiplayer

See logo on vehicles. Win.

Hello guys,

so, we've created our unit "Garde Républicaine - PI 3.II", and my mate invited me to join the group. But, i found and joined it before i accepted his invitation. And he then transferred ownership to me. But, his invitation was still pending, and not knowing if i should accept it or refuse to get rid of the invitation window : i accepted it.

Long story short : we've lost ownership. 

Could you put one of us back in charge of the squad ?

Thanks.

Hi,

thank you for the bug report, the ownership should be fixed now ;)

Are there any plans to increase the Squad Tag size? Currently my unit uses a tag of 13 characters (15th MEU(SOC)), but the limit is 10. We can adjust accordingly if we need to, but tradition dictates I at least ask you guys if it will be changed to, say, 15 characters.

Also the in-game logo now works if you set the image to 512x512. I've been asked to ask, however, if it would be possible (for advanced users) to set a unit logo and separate in-game squad logo? Our logo is bright and colorful and we like that on the Units page to grab attention, but in-game we have a subdued/camouflaged version that looks better against uniforms/vehicles.

Also will we be able, or will the individual be able, to set the Name, Email, IM, and Remark fields for the in-game data? Currently it displays all blank, though convential wisdom would say that the name and remark could be easily taken from the data in Units (Name is.... BI name, and Remark is Title).

Customization of "Rank names" under members tab

Most of clans and communities use their own class or hierarchy system.

(which means that ranks 7, rank 6 is not accurate.)

It would be beneficial if Ranks could be customized to admin liking.

Example:

"Rank 7" Unit Admin of community/clan could rename it to "Founder"

"Rank 6" to "Officers" and on and on.

Hello, going through to follow up on some questions here.

Both the unit's and my own unit page seem to work now, thanks for that. :)

However the unit still shows as "suspended" on my profile, but nothing of that kind on its own page.

What effect does this have and what can I do to change that, as there is no further info, e.g. why it would have been suspended?

Are you still seeing the suspended on your profile?
There was issue, now resolved, where the reason/description for the suspension that occurred did not get saved. Any new suspension will get a proper reason/description now.

Please feel free to send a private message so I can follow up on your case.

Devs,

As a larger King of The Hill host/community (Hostile Takeover) with 20+ server, can we get more servers to add on our Units page? Also, we follow the US Army rank scale, can we assign/create our own rank structure? Since this is sort of replacing squad.xml, can we also have the logo for our Unit appear as a patch on uniforms ingame?

-Warhawk HT

TS--Arma.HostileToc.com -  74.91.125.177

Servers: The current limit at 5 was based on a number of factors which include the UI design of the site and the functionality that pings to the server to check the online status. We will need to look closely to the impact of making any changes to the current system the way it is designed. Unfortunately I will not have a quick answer to this.

Logo(patch): The system is not a direct replacement for squad.xml which can still be used. We have looked into this before and we will probably look into it again, but there are no current plans to add additional multiple logo's per Unit currently at this time.  

Hi!

I couldn't figure out what this system does in game.

If I create a unit, will it sostitute the unite inside the game? If so, do I loose every progress in the multiplayer servers?

I think Bohemia should explain better this implementation, I can't find any documentation (please, link me it if there's any).

I can't speak to how it may be setup for the multiplayer servers you visit, I will need to get some more detailed information. Can you send me a private message, and we will see if we can take a closer look at the situation you describe?

I really like the idea of the units system and it is much more transparent as the "old" squad.xml and squad URL system.

But there is one thing that would be really great:

A little system inside the units system to create squads and assign squad leader and members.

Thank you!

We are looking at possible links between multiple Units, which might be able to achieve what you are describing. This type of functionality is in the longer term plan which is not yet locked down, so please note that its not 100%.

A logo png image with alpha channel (transparent) is compatible?

Yes!

(continuing to more questions in the thread soon)

Are you still seeing the suspended on your profile?

There was issue, now resolved, where the reason/description for the suspension that occurred did not get saved. Any new suspension will get a proper reason/description now.

Please feel free to send a private message so I can follow up on your case.

Yeah, unit is still suspended. Sent you a PM and thanks for taking the time.

[solved]  Thank you Kylania and Col Penny for the guidance on this...works like magic!

I haven't read every entry in this Forum, but I have checked all the options in the Unit Editing...so question, is there a way to use ArmA 3 Units to force our Squad XML banner to display in game???

AV8R

ArmA Air Command [=AAC=]

I haven't read every entry in this Forum, but I have checked all the options in the Unit Editing...so question, is there a way to use ArmA 3 Units to force our Squad XML banner to display in game???

AV8R

ArmA Air Command [=AAC=]

Change your image to 512x512 and make sure it's in PNG format. This will kick in the Bohemia 'hack' (as they call it) and make it work.

Make sure you have your unit selected (top right-hand corner on the Main Menu hover over the person silhouette and click on your profile name, then click Units, then select your unit from the dropdown)

• Like 1

Guys, you have the typo in "Media" tab:

Need to change 854 to 845:

and when I try to load 2 images (845x493 (129Kb) and 853x480 (86,8Kb)), I get this glitch and images don't upload:

These issues should now be resolved.

My unit had came back to being active for a short while and I was able to add some members, but now the unit is suspended again.

I haven't received any feedback so I can't fix whats potentially wrong with it. And I'm sure there are worse units than mine that are active.

Apologies for the situation, there was a change in the message system to suspended Units and for a short while I made some mistakes not using the correct functionality. This is now resolved and all new ones will properly get the message. Please send me a Private Message and I will work with you to resolve this.

Similar to you, my own unit's public page now also shows the suspended text ("This unit was suspended by a moderator.If you are the owner of this unit, please check the My Units page for further instructions.").

But on the "My Units" page, besides a "submit for approval" button, leading to a form asking for name, e-mail and message without any further text, there is no info on why this happened and what to do. The aforementioned "further instructions" are missing.

Same here, please send me a PM when you have a moment.

Hi there,

Would it be possible to add functionality to the 'Search by name' filter to include the unit tag?

My unit is more commonly know by our tag than our full name, and it would be much easier if they could just search for that.

We will look into this, thank you for the suggestion and feedback.

Everybody who wants to join a unit must have a BI-account. So I thought that it would be easy to communicate with the members of our unit by forum PM. Unfortunately not all of our 27 members can be found on the members list. Here are the names of the members of our unit who are not listed as members of the forum:

Am I doing something wrong or is something wrong with the members list of the forum? If there is another way of contacting unit members who have joined the unit while the recruitment status was "open" please kindly let me know.

By the way, I have changed the recruitment status to "private" and found that applicants have the option to provide an email address. Perhaps it would be good to make this compulsory so that it is possible to get back to an applicant easily.

Another alternative is to manage applications traditionally through our website. Then we surely get the contact information of our applicants but they may or may not bother to register to our Arma3-unit which is also not ideal.

You are not doing anything wrong. Currently the forums system is separate from the Units system, however they both do rely on the main BI account system. If those users have not used the BI forums before, they will not have a BI forums profile. We are carefully looking into how to best facilitate communication between members in a Unit members with considerations for the UI and design. Sorry there is no announcement on this on this yet. It is not the ideal solution, but if you are able to speak with your members to ask them to at least set up their BI forums profile, then use the BI forums PM system.

As for the application process, if you do set it to private you do have the ability to put in your own website url to handle your own custom application process. We will look into compulsory email address there.

You may still use squad.xml if you want. Arma 3 Units does not use the original squad.xml, but instead uses a new method where the the logo in game is from your Units logo.

As KevsNoTrev suggested, thank you, there are ways to reduce the image file size in paint programs, or I just found this, used a test image and it reduced the size massively: https://tinypng.com/

There is not one. Login to Bohemia units page.

In profile link your steam profile

In a3 launcher on dashboard see unit. Tick box top right. Run game in multiplayer

See logo on vehicles. Win.

Thank you!

Logo is not loading on dedicated linux servers.

This will be looked into.

Is it normal i can only see a logo on my own character?

Do you mean you are not seeing it on vehicles you get into?

Are there any plans to increase the Squad Tag size? Currently my unit uses a tag of 13 characters (15th MEU(SOC)), but the limit is 10. We can adjust accordingly if we need to, but tradition dictates I at least ask you guys if it will be changed to, say, 15 characters.

Also the in-game logo now works if you set the image to 512x512. I've been asked to ask, however, if it would be possible (for advanced users) to set a unit logo and separate in-game squad logo? Our logo is bright and colorful and we like that on the Units page to grab attention, but in-game we have a subdued/camouflaged version that looks better against uniforms/vehicles.

Also will we be able, or will the individual be able, to set the Name, Email, IM, and Remark fields for the in-game data? Currently it displays all blank, though convential wisdom would say that the name and remark could be easily taken from the data in Units (Name is.... BI name, and Remark is Title).

The clan tag size did already go through one large increase from the original size in Arma 3 Units of just 3 characters, increased to now 10 characters. Unfortunately there will likely not be another increase to this size as it will affect the UI and design of the Arma 3 Units site.

The Unit logo in game: There is not currently a plan to change the Units logo functionality at this time.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. We will be looking into these suggestions in more detail.

Customization of "Rank names" under members tab

Most of clans and communities use their own class or hierarchy system.

(which means that ranks 7, rank 6 is not accurate.)

It would be beneficial if Ranks could be customized to admin liking.

Example:

"Rank 7" Unit Admin of community/clan could rename it to "Founder"

"Rank 6" to "Officers" and on and on.

We are currently working on an implementation that will allow for some customization of member roles! Soon :)

Edited by BohemiaBeck
Added a bit more to one response.

Thanks for the reply, I mean when i play with other unit members, i can´t see the unit patch on their arms while the XML seems to be working, is that normal that i can only see it on my own character?

Thanks for the reply, I mean when i play with other unit members, i can´t see the unit patch on their arms while the XML seems to be working, is that normal that i can only see it on my own character?

There is currently an issue with the Units patch in game, changes are being made and it is being tested. I am checking if this is the same related issue.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, BohemiaBeck.

it is good to know that you are still working on the subject of communication between members of a Unit. In the meantime we will handle all communication with our members including applications exclusively via our website, forum and Teamspeak. But I am very interested in the development of A3-Units and it is a pleasure to try any new features and improvements. 

Another question: You said you're looking into an issue with the Unit patch. I am wondering if there is or will be a way to deny certain members of the unit or certain ranks the use of the squad emblem?