Llano

Let's talk about server FPS and the affect on clients.

It seems to be impossible to find a answer on why/how the server fps (tps) affect the clients. Anyone that knows who could give a technicall view on it? 

If a server has bad performance, wouldn't that only affect the clients by network lag? Since that's what the arma 3 server do: update the clients with where objects are, what is happening etc.

I could be wrong since i'm not into game development.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/174809-why-do-we-have-such-a-low-fps-in-multiplayermp-performance-vs-sp-performance/

One year later and the MP in A3 is still horrible ...

btw

... yes, one of this technical reasons is the following:

If a server runs a mission whitout or with pure cleanup routines,

the number of objects in this mission will increase with time.

The number of objects will primary impact the server performance alot,

but because the most of objects have to be synchronized to all clients,

it will impact the clients performance too (because we have a increased object numbers on all connected clients too).

I read Dwarden answer

server FPS is irrelevant to your client FPS unless it's too low (under 5fps) ...

So now the server fps barely matters for client fps? How often does a server,with let's say 50 people joined, go below 5 fps?

Also, regarding te post from fred41

It no news that more objects will decrease the client performance. The question is why the server fps decreases it.

When you join a server, think of the client as a blank slate with a empty map. Then the server communicates with the client and begins to tell it what to load. This can be units, that random rifle laying on the ground in the middle of the field, ect. On top of that certain scripts can also be dumped onto the player, such as revive scripts and such that require checking the client for conditions. 

Again not a technical person on how the client and servers interact, but that is just my guess.

When you join a server, think of the client as a blank slate with a empty map. Then the server communicates with the client and begins to tell it what to load. This can be units, that random rifle laying on the ground in the middle of the field, ect. On top of that certain scripts can also be dumped onto the player, such as revive scripts and such that require checking the client for conditions. 

Again not a technical person on how the client and servers interact, but that is just my guess.

And how does this communication between the client and server affect the fps on the client? 

Let's say a server running without any mods. Just because the server is slow to send data to the client, that shouldn't affect the client fps?

I read Dwarden answer

So now the server fps barely matters for client fps? How often does a server,with let's say 50 people joined, go below 5 fps?

Also, regarding te post from fred41

It no news that more objects will decrease the client performance. The question is why the server fps decreases it.

Considering how bad a lot, if not most, of the servers run, it would mean they all run under 5fps. :P

Considering how bad a lot, if not most, of the servers run, it would mean they all run under 5fps. :P

So it seems  :P

No but seriously, i doubt it. From what i hear server usually have around 20 fps.

On the side note, it's intressting to see that barely anyone seems to know why it is like this. Or maybe the ones who knows don't want to say anything  :ph34r:

And how does this communication between the client and server affect the fps on the client? 

Let's say a server running without any mods. Just because the server is slow to send data to the client, that shouldn't affect the client fps?

Nope, it would be only lag. The communication that effects the fps is strictly on how much the server loads onto the client to process. The server can easily send you data telling the client were the 100+ tanks are on the map. That doesn't mean your computer would appreciate rendering all of that.

Why would you render something you don't see and why would 100 tanks is something so hard to do anyway?

Nope, it would be only lag. The communication that effects the fps is strictly on how much the server loads onto the client to process. The server can easily send you data telling the client were the 100+ tanks are on the map. That doesn't mean your computer would appreciate rendering all of that.

Join whatever coop server with 40+ players on, and be positioned at some place where no units can be seen. Your performance will still be bad. Why would telling the client that it exist 100 tanks on a server affect pefromance that much, if they aren't rendered?

They aren't rendered but they might still be simulated and thus require CPU power.

• Like 1