Sign in to follow this  
Adacas

A proper character modelling workflow

Recently I started using Blender and Zbrush. I have been messing with blender and sample models of A2. Removing vests, belts and etc and fixing the mesh. Then I import that mesh into the zbrush and do the high poly sculpting. This is just me messing around http://snag.gy/zPfDc.jpgBut I'm unsure about my workflow. Also separating objects like kneepads and pockets doesn't seem to be good when trying to project low poly to high poly. It just messes up the mesh. So I want to find out what are your workflows guys that actually work?

Character lowpoly - should be preferably one continuous mesh (or as few parts as possible) for easier baking. Also makes weighting a little bit easier when it's continuous.

High poly can be multiple parts, it's often easier. You just need to have a proper round edge or a bevel on all seperate/floating parts so that it looks good on baked normalmap. Sharp 90° corners will never show up on a normal.

For organic stuff its often better to create a new LP based on the HP using retopolgy, since the geometry might have changed alot during sculpting (doesnt seem like that in your case though).

Character lowpoly - should be preferably one continuous mesh (or as few parts as possible) for easier baking. Also makes weighting a little bit easier when it's continuous.

High poly can be multiple parts, it's often easier. You just need to have a proper round edge or a bevel on all seperate/floating parts so that it looks good on baked normalmap. Sharp 90° corners will never show up on a normal.

For organic stuff its often better to create a new LP based on the HP using retopolgy, since the geometry might have changed alot during sculpting (doesnt seem like that in your case though).

So the retopo I did for this whole mesh and multiple other subtools like pockets and knee pads should be ok in theory? But when I do the Project All mesh just messes up. Tried multiple projection settings - nothing changed

what messed up exactly?

Parts between subtools usually. I have been messing with Zbrush more. Things are getting better now. Still need to learn how to do the retopo properly. Topogun would be nice