mad_cheese

Stealth Behavior Framework - need advice for format.

Hi there,

Between 2011 and 2015, I spent a ridiculous amount of time on a mission framework for stealth missions. I put it on ice but rediscovered it and I think it brings a lot of immersion to the game.

The basic idea is to get the feel of games like "Splinter Cell" etc into Arma 3, simulating natural senses and reactions for enemy AI. They can hear you and see you to varying degrees depending on your actions and will either investigate with searchlights or simply react. Everything is considered, are you hidden, is your position illuminated, are you in the shade, daylight, moon intensity, overcast, fog, etc. Everything.

I would love to make this project more accessible.

My question is: What kind of format would you recommend for this sort of project? 

I like the idea of a server side addon, but to really make it work I need audio files broadcasted to anyone near enough to hear. That could be fixed by just making it a script pack, but then you can only use it with dedicated missions.

My addon experience is only one item strong. I have so many ideas to improve the thing but I fail at setting up a structure.

Here's some of the early stages of what it looks like:

Mission utilizing the main Soldier Behavior:

Scared Birds, fly away, guard gets alerted, investigates (very old WIP stage)

Patrols can have dogs in group. Dog can alert and search, even attack

(2 video embedding limit apparently)

Thanks for any advice!

• Like 9

Script is likely the easiest way to go. Is it called in Units Init or is the intention for the behaviour to affect all units.

Great idea... I could see this as being very cool for rescue missions etc where you are locating a POW or HVT or infiltrating a compound.

Making the same as server side/client side mod with lot of missions, persistent world coop and team vs team modes. I need to say your AI is more advanced then mine. If you intended to do it for coop only i'd prefer to make it scripted...

Would love to see this become a reality....best of luck. 

Holy fuck!

I can't imagine the amount of work you put in this, that is very impressive... How in the world did you get those goddamn dogs to obey?!

Anyway, are you using CBA at the moment? It has a lot of options for your needs...

• Like 1

Well..stealth is the most controversial word regarding ArmA's AI.

The 90% of times you are detected by AI is questionable.

I would love to see what you have in mind :)

Hey thanks guys! I'm still undecided... Script would be the easiest but it's a bit of a hassle to set up

Script is likely the easiest way to go. Is it called in Units Init or is the intention for the behaviour to affect all units.

At the moment it's called in the group leader's init. It's a hassle to set up but maybe it can be automated a bit more. I would like to have it working similar to ASR where you really don't have to do anything.
Then again, I don't know how I didnt realize I could maybe offer both...

How in the world did you get those goddamn dogs to obey?!

Anyway, are you using CBA at the moment? It has a lot of options for your needs...

Hugz. They love that shit. :)

161961_zpsfaoxtljk.jpg

Nah seriously, it's dirty. Dogs are a**holes in A3. I think I can clean up that code but it's actually setvectorDirandUp and attachTo. Call animal protection because I am absolutely forcing these digi-animals against their will. I don't know much about CBA except keybinds and preInit eventhandlers.. Thankful for any tips!

Well..stealth is the most controversial word regarding ArmA's AI.
The 90% of times you are detected by AI is questionable.

I think my way is also questionable by realistic standards, but it's fun and most importantly I think it increases your acceptance of being spotted dramatically.
You have about 5-7 seconds to wipe out any witness. So you also have to strike wisely, if there's people who can hear or even see somebody who spotted you or a friendly body, there's so many witnesses that you won't be able to kill them all before they reoprt you and shit hits the fan.

If you intended to do it for coop only i'd prefer to make it scripted...

Hmm okay I see

• Like 2

It's difficult to point you towards the best solution without knowing what your code looks like, but CBA allows to stack as many EventHandlers as you need without overriding anything.

Provided that your EHs have all the necessary conditions & safeguards, mod users will have absolutely nothing to do or configure.

Check out their GitHub for more infos : https://github.com/CBATeam/CBA_A3/wiki/Extended-Eventhandlers

I'm still getting used to it myself, but it's already making my life easier. ;)

man. something like this was on my todo/wish-list (identical fo me :lol: ) for ages. i'm glad there are like minded people with motivation and know how. can't wait to test/use this.

• Like 1

This is blood amazing. I remember playing Raccoon mission for A2CO and it was excellent - great production values, flexible mission design that doesn't sacrifice realism and believeability for more 'openness'. One of the best around, for sure. And probably the best in Stealth category.

Can't wait to see further developments on this!