BohemiaBeck

Arma 3 Units - Closed Beta Feedback

Apply button: Is there a way to make the apply button customizable and link to our unit's website application area instead of the integrated one provided? I know the A3 units is being set-up to be integrated into the BIS site, but not every unit member has a BI account. I think it would be helpful to have the application part able to be split up into a few different areas:

-Leave it as it is and manage unit applications through the BI site

-Have a customizable link to a unit's application area(or maybe both?)

-Have a "I am already a member of this unit" button so that people can "apply" with their unit name and be instantly accepted to get their unit tags on the BI forums

Also, will it be setup so that multiple people can manage the unit as "officers" so that it's not all just on one person doing everything? I don't see that outlined in the OPREP.

I think this has the potential to be a great tool to help units of all sizes as well as players looking for specific gaming experiences.

I also wouldn't mind longer unit tags. [506th IR] instead of [506th]   :)

Was thinking about this earlier, as many different units have different application process the ability to customise and link the apply button the our own application area will be a much needed feature.

• Like 2

It would we awesome to have a "actual list of mods currently in use" so you can click and download all of them in order to play with the team. Maybe PWS link? Dunno.

Hi icebreakr, the easiest way to do this is simply by linking to a modset on another website (you can do this in the Mods section of the unit profile page - as I've seen some units already do)

First question: Can we get captions for our screenshots? I'd really like to be able to annotate the screenshots I put up so they can be put in context.

Second question: I'm wondering if the "Play Now" feature would work.How do you picture this feature will work for squads?

Does supporting this feature (as a squad) mean that people would be able to play under our banner without our consent, or if it means that they will form ephemeral units which dissolve after completing the game?

Will there be any kind of setting allowing us to manage these requests? OTOH, will it be possible to take on 'mercenaries' for just a game?

Hi onno, I think captions for screenshots is something we can look at. As for the PLAY NOW feature, there will actually be a difference between Events and the PLAY NOW feature. It sounds like the Events bit might be more in line with what you want. I'm afraid I cannot go into too much detail yet, but in summary the PLAY NOW feature is more of a simple messaging board with filters where players who are not necessarily part of a certain unit, can quickly find other players to go into a game together (e.g. to quickly form a squad to go into End Game, King of the Hill, Wasteland, Altis Life, a coop scenario, or whatever else). We'll try to explain our vision in a bit more details in a future OPREP, right now we just want to have very core of the service ready for the Foundation Release :)

Hello,
The box "mods" under the Attitude box. For now it's written "any"
is it possible to change the mods box to display playwithsix collections?
Or it's possible to switch on this box all mod created by the team and put playwithsix collections on mods drop down menu ?

For drop down menu of comm channels. It's possible to add tsviewers ?

Thx !

ps: sorry for my bad english :P

Hi sarakgaming, there are three options for the MODS in the characteristics panel in the side bar of a unit profile: None (aka Vanilla Arma 3), Steam Workshop, and Any (as in mods from any sources). It will show 'Any' on a unit profile page if this unit has indicated they are using mods and are linking to a non-Steam Workshop download source. As for your question about linking to a Playwithsix collection, this should be possible via the method I wrote above in reply to icebreakr. Lastly, we will take a look at tsviewers (soon we'll also enable a custom field for any comm channels that are not in the default options).

Apply button: Is there a way to make the apply button customizable and link to our unit's website application area instead of the integrated one provided? I know the A3 units is being set-up to be integrated into the BIS site, but not every unit member has a BI account. I think it would be helpful to have the application part able to be split up into a few different areas:

-Leave it as it is and manage unit applications through the BI site

-Have a customizable link to a unit's application area(or maybe both?)

-Have a "I am already a member of this unit" button so that people can "apply" with their unit name and be instantly accepted to get their unit tags on the BI forums

Also, will it be setup so that multiple people can manage the unit as "officers" so that it's not all just on one person doing everything? I don't see that outlined in the OPREP.

I think this has the potential to be a great tool to help units of all sizes as well as players looking for specific gaming experiences.

I also wouldn't mind longer unit tags. [506th IR] instead of [506th]   :)

Thanks for the suggestions! I think having the option to simply link to another page for the unit recruitment process makes absolute sense. I'm not sure if we'd do option 3, as we might simply require those people to create Bohemia Accounts, since we see this as a key component of our future services/games for multiple reasons (we will however enable people to quickly create a Bohemia Account in the future with Steam, Facebook, Google etc accounts). With regards to the unit 'roles, please see my comment earlier in this thread:  https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/186147-arma-3-units-feedback/?p=2941383

• Like 1

I have a question. It seems that at the moment Arma 3 Units has its account bound to bohemia account. Could it be possible to create a more general account in order to allow access to privileged members of the group? It is common that members within a community come and go and having this bound to the bohemia account does not seem a good idea. Otherwise I have to say it looks really good!

• Like 1

I have a question. It seems that at the moment Arma 3 Units has its account bound to bohemia account. Could it be possible to create a more general account in order to allow access to privileged members of the group? It is common that members within a community come and go and having this bound to the bohemia account does not seem a good idea. Otherwise I have to say it looks really good!

+1 I agree.

I wonder if it will be possible in the future to simply login with your Steam account.

• Like 1

It is common that members within a community come and go and having this bound to the bohemia account does not seem a good idea. Otherwise I have to say it looks really good!

Definitely a good point. Group ownership and (multi-user) administration is something linked to the next steps for the Units service, related to the overall 'join' functionality. 

You're right that community leadership can change / grow from time to time, and it will be important for us to support that if we want to keep an up to date directory of units.

• Like 4

A quick point I thought about today would be in addition to create Unit Accounts maybe having the possibility of creating Event's without the need for a Unit Account. For example my friend and I may look at hosting a TvT event outside of our individual units. It would be really nice to be able to create a single event page instead of having to have an event for a specific unit. It could probably work using the same framework as setting up a unit itself:

• Servers,
  • Modlist,
  • Comms Methods,
  • etc

Also I really like the granularity of the filtering system. That's a really nice feature.

Maintenance on the website? Can't get on the page ;-) "Forbidden 403"

Send with mobile

Looks like it's back up, and Units is now live. Probably went down to add it in. I did have some Server Error, 500 a few minutes ago, but it seems to be resolved now.

Still getting the error 403 on Chrome, Firefox and Edge  ;) 

Still getting the error 403 on Chrome, Firefox and Edge   ;)

The dev site is no longer available if you're trying to access it, go to units.arma3.com ;)

• Like 2

Will the events tab be able to run off an RSS feed to avoid duplication of work for admins?

As long as there is an API (and from what I read there will be some kind of API) that allows me to create events on Units, then I'll be happy :)

• Like 1

API, RSS, not bothered as long as it's automated. If it's more manual work on an ongoing basis I don't see it being too popular with unit admins

The dev site is no longer available if you're trying to access it, go to units.arma3.com ;)

Ahh thanks :-)

Send with mobile

I'm liking the concepts of Units so far, but it's a shame that we can't use a single letter for our tag.

It would be nice if you were able to edit your unit directly from the unit page, so you don't have to go for "my units" page first.

Aaand the font currently being used is not compatible with Polish diacritic, but I'm afraid you're not able to fix it without changing the font?

• Like 1

Bug: Cant finish unit registration without giving a recruitment email even if i choose "Closed" as recruitment status.

• Like 1

It would be nice if you were able to edit your unit directly from the unit page, so you don't have to go for "my units" page first.

Aaand the font currently being used is not compatible with Polish diacritic, but I'm afraid you're not able to fix it without changing the font?

Thanks! Polish diacritic should be supported very soon (within now and 1-2 hours), EDIT UNIT button on the unit profile page will be added soonâ„¢.

• Like 2

Bug: Cant finish unit registration without giving a recruitment email even if i choose "Closed" as recruitment status.

Sorry about that - it's fixed now. You might need to refresh the page.

• Like 2

That's great.

There are some bugs with text editor in unit's Biography. If I copy some text from other source and paste it into the text editor, I'm not able to use the header function for example. While trying to set some part of a copied text as a header, all of the text becomes one. I have to save the page, refresh, and then set the header. Same thing with using Backspace key. Pressing Backspace somewhere in pasted text teleports the cursor to the beginning of the text.

Also, I have an idea for another feature. Have you been thinking about adding some statistics at later stageâ„¢? Like how many users visited your unit page last day, week, etc.

• Like 1

Also, I have an idea for another feature. Have you been thinking about adding some statistics at later stageâ„¢? Like how many users visited your unit page last day, week, etc.

In addition to that, I'd like to have some sort of activity statistic.

Example:

player _x : Last online(logged in) 10 days ago

Just an idea how to deal with non-active units. This might become a problem if units disband and the admin of the unit forgets to delete it. Stumbling across non-active units may frustrate people who look for a unit.

Users could use the "Report Unit" feature in this case. Then someone will have to investigate the situation of the unit in question which may cause extra work. I think all this can be simplified if the person who registered a group (or a member of his admin team if you chose to enable multiple "owners" of a unit) has to access the unit with his password once every three months or at other intervals to prove that the unit is still active. If he fails to do so, the unit should be made invisible for general users. An automated reminder might be sent to the admin's account a few days before his unit becomes hidden. Hidden units could be marked in the "My Units" area of the admin and the members of the unit. The admin should be allowed to re-activare his unit if he uses his password after his unit is hidden from general view.

• Like 1

I think having the option to simply link to another page for the unit recruitment process makes absolute sense.

You can now directly link to your own recruitment web page. This will disable the "application form field" on your unit profile page. If you've previously registered your unit, please 'edit your unit' to change your current recruitment settings. Thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

I had no idea there was a forum thread for this.... and all this time i've been giving Greg issues i found directly :P