sneakysquid

Open to join, online multiplayer tactical game experience?

Hello everyone,

I am interested in trying to create, I guess a sub community of sorts, devoted to playing PvP tactical missions, but 'open' to the public in the way of a sign up process.

I have long followed and watched videos from various communities on YouTube or on the forums here, and I see a lot of people express an interest in joining such a community. But often, joining a community means certain days you have to play on, certain requirements to join and so on.

I am by no means trying to remove these groups, simply trying to start something different, for the people out there wanting to do something different.

Overall concept:

Depending on the amount of people interested I would want a weekly game, Friday/Saturday night (totally up for debate/change) where the community would simply sign up for a role in the current mission, join on the day and work together to achieve the goal of the mission. There would be no requirement other than the willingness to play the role that you have selected, meaning if you selected a squad leader role, the rest of us are counting on you to have some form of plan/idea on how to achieve the goal of the current mission.

Example:

Missions briefing:

- Hostage situation, 2 squads from OPFOR, 2 squads from BLUFOR and 2 hostages.

Winning conditions for OPFOR:

Defeat all BLUFOR, or hold out long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

Failure conditions for OPFOR:

No remaining OPFOR, or BLUFOR gets the hostages to an extraction point.

Winning conditions for BLUFOR

Extract the hostages, or eliminate all OPFOR before reinforcements arrive.

Failure conditions for BLUFOR

No remaining BLUFOR, or OPFOR holds out long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

If hostages are killed by either side, the side that kills them loses.

Before I start the process of a more detailed mission briefing and so on, I would like to know if there, in the community, is an interest for such an event/group/community that is open for everyone to freely join, as long as you show commitment and try to make the whole event a fun experience for everyone involved.

If I receive enough interest in this project, I will start working on the event and hopefully have something ready for you all!

I would be interested and pleased to see more open and used pvp servers, I have done the GU thing for 7 years and it is all good if you want that play but playing other games of late pvp on squad i wanted to get back on arma and do the same, but when you get to the server list it is near impossible to find a server running these type of games either they are locked with players in or just empty compared to all the life, RP, and GU servers which makes it very hard to find a good server through all the crap on the server listings.

I only want quick games these days sitting there for 8 hours on MSO has gone for me but nothing like that pvp for me now.  

• Like 1

I would be interested and pleased to see more open and used pvp servers, I have done the GU thing for 7 years and it is all good if you want that play but playing other games of late pvp on squad i wanted to get back on arma and do the same, but when you get to the server list it is near impossible to find a server running these type of games either they are locked with players in or just empty compared to all the life, RP, and GU servers which makes it very hard to find a good server through all the crap on the server listings.

I only want quick games these days sitting there for 8 hours on MSO has gone for me but nothing like that pvp for me now.  

What would be the perfect mission depth and length in your eyes? How detailed would you want the mission to be?

Example 1:

Defense team has to setup defenses, plan surveillance and such 

mean time attack team has scouts out figuring out the best approach, planing their assault

time is spent on moving around and such, resupplies and all that.

Maybe 30 min prep 

Example 2:

Defense team starts in a setup defensible area, and basically just have to talk plans for about 10 min and then we're off

Attack team, basically same situation.

Would you prefer many short missions, almost just skirmishes and then a new scenario is loaded.

Or a "full on war" but scaled down a bit so it can be "completed" / followed up on next session, maybe 3-4 hours long?

Thanks a lot for your interest!

Hello, I think this idea is pretty cool and I have always loved organized PVP. I was wondering, would there be a platoon leader on each side in the missions? I like the idea of people having to sign up for specific roles such as Squad Leader, Autorifleman, Medic, etc. but I think having a platoon leader to lead all the squads would help with cohesion, tactics, organization and the overall fun of the operations.

Hello, I think this idea is pretty cool and I have always loved organized PVP. I was wondering, would there be a platoon leader on each side in the missions? I like the idea of people having to sign up for specific roles such as Squad Leader, Autorifleman, Medic, etc. but I think having a platoon leader to lead all the squads would help with cohesion, tactics, organization and the overall fun of the operations.

There would be an overall leader in charge of coming up with the overall plan for the mission yes, I feel like some guidelines to who should be leaders is needed, but still keeping it open to most people to have fun with it. Do you have any input or any other feedback?

Thank you for your interest! 

Ehem...

Firstly, we'll be focusing on the integration of Bohemia Accounts into Arma 3 Units. This should enable players to more easily join or apply for a unit, while unit admins will be able to manage and review member applications from within the Units admin section. In addition, depending on a unit's privacy settings, using Bohemia Accounts will make it possible to automatically calculate a unit's size, and display the names of the players that are connected to the particular unit. Also, by integrating Bohemia Accounts, we're opening the door for connecting Arma 3 Units to the Arma 3 game – which in turn could enable us (eventually) to more seamlessly integrate in-game group management systems such as the infamous squad.xml.

If you haven't already, i highly recommend reading the latest OPREP, which talks about plans to make organized PVP and the likes much, MUCH easier, and seamless, and a handful of other Multiplayer things.

Ehem...

If you haven't already, i highly recommend reading the latest OPREP, which talks about plans to make organized PVP and the likes much, MUCH easier, and seamless, and a handful of other Multiplayer things.

I noticed this, it would help me a great deal with organizing it! I am very happy Bohemia has decided to work on something like this. 

Do you have any other feedback or suggestions? Thank you for your interest! 

The steam group is starting to gain traction, thank you all very much, and I hope to see more of you joining!

I have joined, but... What mission are you going to play? are you going to create one?

This is something I been hoping to find. Even though I highly respect the ones that request serious training, experience and expertise, this idea is great for those like myself who may not have as much time for playing video games to build a high-position career but still truly love this game and want to play it with all seriousness in such ways as is here. 

So I would be glad to be a part of this and help this grow to be a fun, team-work based realism gaming experience for all involved. 

Ok count me in too,if it's once in a week i can find the time.I would prefer a full on war mission scaled down as you said.3 to 4 hours is good cause i play 4 hours tops.Good luck with the mission making and if you want any ideas/suggestions let us know. :)

Sounds Interesting.

Organised TvT on bigger scale in arma.

Ill Gladly Join if

1) i see it is trully organised (each side has its leader and specific goals)

2) Logistics are taken into acount (no buyng guns on magicaly spawned bases (see Arma 2 warfae mission to know how not to do it) etc)

3) ACE and  some radio mod is implemented (ACRE or TFAR)

Personaly i would vote for larger timescale (about 4 hours) with some prepare time (base setup, recon, planing), and no respawns.

I hope i dont need to install mods :)

Neither do I, lots of gigabytes of download to get updated and download lots of gygabytes again and again....

Hello all,

I've been playing on the Ahoyworld EU3 modded server, and it sounds a lot like what you're looking for:

http://www.ahoyworld.co.uk/

There are typically around 10-20 people on at any given time during UK's evenings (and USA's afternoon), and regular game nights are typically scheduled over the weekend.

They run several I&A servers with vanilla Arma, but also a modded EU3 server (it's around 15GB of mods, so buckle up) with a custom game mode called Gauntlet which spawns missions on the various maps.

It's a good group of people, with the aim of fun but serious game play.

-Ryko

If you guys havn't already, i suggest taking a look at the new Arma Units patch.

http://units.arma3.com/#?orderField=created_at&orderDirection=desc&page=1&limit=9&layout=grid

I've also already made my Squad's page using Units, and it looks quite nice.

http://units.arma3.com/unit/anvil

This is going to make is so much easier to participate in online events, and share your group information with others, and even recruit.

I have joined, but... What mission are you going to play? are you going to create one?

I will be creating one, or if we have some very experienced mission makers in the thread I am open to get help or suggestions! Most of the gameplay will come out of the players, so the requirements for the mission aren't that huge.

Sounds Interesting.

Organised TvT on bigger scale in arma.

Ill Gladly Join if

1) i see it is trully organised (each side has its leader and specific goals)

2) Logistics are taken into acount (no buyng guns on magicaly spawned bases (see Arma 2 warfae mission to know how not to do it) etc)

3) ACE and  some radio mod is implemented (ACRE or TFAR)

Personaly i would vote for larger timescale (about 4 hours) with some prepare time (base setup, recon, planing), and no respawns.

I agree with you on all points except number 3, I like the mods. But I'll need to ask around and see if people are up for using mods or not. Other than that, join the steam group, and I'll be posting more information as we progress!