rsoftokz

[SP] ROADS for RAVAGE

Hello

you'll always spawn with a .45 without ammos and your dead mate will always have 9mm mags on him.....
this mission is a challenge and all is about the choices you'll made.

you can run hoping to find proper ammos for the .45 or find a handgun that use the 9mm mags.

you can also hide and wait near the burning van, and if you have Incognito and Mocap installed as recommanded, you might wait for the bad guys who shooted at you and made the truck burning and try to kill one of then with bare hands, grab his gun and kill the other ones.

there are many options to play this mission, the choice is yours and most of time..; you'll be shooted  sooner or later....

the goal is to last the longest you can (for now, in a few days/weeks/times, trying to acheive the mission goals to come )

this is still WIP....

Hello there, been playing just roads (With a side of roadz but power cut out and lost about 45 minutes worth, decided to try out roads again) and I found a map with red circles and a skull in the middle, took me a bit of time but I managed to make it there only to find nothing but a tempest device truck and was just wondering if it had any practical uses?

Really appreciate your great work in this mission. I am really enjoying the new world without zombies.

I would like to know how to switch off the sand storm? I think, the sand storm deeply influence the FPS in some towns area. So I want to switch off.

I also want to suggest some potential ways to improve in the next update. Just for your information:

1. I have found more than 40 .45 mag until now, I think the probability of this kind of ammunition is really high.

2. Please add more AI (including survivors and raiders), because I want to find some targets to shoot with my .45 pistols (too many mags!! :D).

BTW, is there any ways to modify the files by myself to increase the number and appearance probability of AI?

Thank you very much! ! I love this mission. ;) 

Hello

sorry for late reply, as told a few posts ago, I'm a little bit busy elsewhere and cannot  offer much time and support for now on ROADS (days are still only 24H)

to remove the sand storm, just delete the goon_dust.sqf in the "scripts" folder and the command line in the init.sqf

line 62:  

[.08] execVM "scripts\goon_dust.sqf";

you can delete it or add //

//[.08] execVM "scripts\goon_dust.sqf";

the number of AI depends on RAVAGE modules, such as the weaponry, uniforms etc.....

there are many posts about it in the RAVAGE thread.

Haleks and some other ( cool) guys are working deeply on RAVAGE about MP  compatibility and tweaking of modules

in the next ROADS/ROADZ update, I will delete the sand storm, even it is a cool effect, because it affect the FPS, but as far as I know it is not the only thing that drops the FPS rate. 
It seems it is the cache system of RAVAGE and haleks was working hard to fix this too.

when I'll have more time, I'll try to put the ON/OFF option to the sand storm effect in a further update 

thanks for your comments

• Like 2

Hello

sorry for late reply, as told a few posts ago, I'm a little bit busy elsewhere and cannot  offer much time and support for now on ROADS (days are still only 24H)

to remove the sand storm, just delete the goon_dust.sqf in the "scripts" folder and the command line in the init.sqf

line 62:  

[.08] execVM "scripts\goon_dust.sqf";
you can delete it or add //

//[.08] execVM "scripts\goon_dust.sqf";
the number of AI depends on RAVAGE modules, such as the weaponry, uniforms etc.....

there are many posts about it in the RAVAGE thread.

Haleks and some other ( cool) guys are working deeply on RAVAGE about MP  compatibility and tweaking of modules

in the next ROADS/ROADZ update, I will delete the sand storm, even it is a cool effect, because it affect the FPS, but as far as I know it is not the only thing that drops the FPS rate. 

It seems it is the cache system of RAVAGE and haleks was working hard to fix this too.

when I'll have more time, I'll try to put the ON/OFF option to the sand storm effect in a further update 

thanks for your comments

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to playing MP version! Great work!

I've been really liking the mission so far! Little bit of a lowish FPS sometimes, at least in larger cities and as the time goes by, but it has not been too big of a problem. I really enjoy the beginning in the dark, early morning, starting with pretty much zero gear and building up from there. Also, there really are not a whole lot zombieless (is that a word? =D) SP survival missions out there, this one is clearly among the best.

The biggest downside so far is the extremely easy difficulty level. I've played multiple games where no one fires a shot at me, as the enemies tend to not eve have weapons. I noticed the discussion before, so I guess it's in the RAVAGE side of things to have so few enemies around. I hope they will make this a bit more flexible in that regard, so even when there are no zombies around, the mod can provide a worthy challenge. The vanilla RAVAGE scenario certainly does, it's almost too hard for my liking (zombies eat bullets like cheese!).

Anyway, wherever you decide to take the mission from here, I wish you the best of luck and motivation! =)

^^^^^^^grandelemental^^^^If you're comfortable with mission-editing(Eden)you can increase the amount of bandits by multiplying Ravages AI module or simply(as I do sometimes)copy the bandits trigger zones(which spawn the bandits/camps) and paste as many as you think your rig can handle.elsewhere on the map.Simply de-pbo the mission into your Arma 3 mission directory(user/documents/Arma 3/missions)then launch Arma then the editor then the particular terrain the mission is based then the mission itself.

The biggest downside so far is the extremely easy difficulty level. I've played multiple games where no one fires a shot at me, as the enemies tend to not eve have weapons. I noticed the discussion before, so I guess it's in the RAVAGE side of things to have so few enemies around.

I'm into my second day and have only been able to kill 9 folks of which only 2 had a weapon. That's sort of a complaint but only a teensy weensy bit. Those few enemy does balance game with the fact that it takes quite an effort just to find enough food and water to survive. One thing O would really like to see more of is bandits driving around more frequently. I seem to pick up quite a collection of mines but never get to use them. As was stated earlier though, adding more action on a map wide mission like this will probably kill it fps wise.

edit:

I would like to make just a couple more observations.

1) shortly after beginning the mission I was able to recruit a couple of survivors. After a while I was able to equip them with weapons, gear, and a few misc items. I don't know what or when during the mission, but now I cannot transfer anything to them. When I go to "Esc", "Team", and then "Inventory", I can see what they are carrying, but I can no longer give them anything. I can take stuff from them, but it won't show as being on the "ground".

2) When I want to build a fire I used some documents I found and matches. I was able to start a fire but only the heat shimmer was visible. No wood/paper/flame, or smoke. I did notice also that the first time I tried to startt a fire I used a notepad with matches. The notifier told me I need wood or paper. My question is, where do I find wood. I have never seen any in the search piles/sacks/boxes.

3) When my comrades spot enemy, the notifier tells me for example, "enemy bearing 105, 1.5kms", when in actuallity the enemy is really only 200m away. It seems the direction is accurate but the distance can be quite far off.

I like the mod and i want to play it and i install Ravage mod but i dont know how to install ROADZ. Please help.

To install Roads, extract the zip you get after the download is complete.

Move the roads.Altis.pbo file to this location:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\Missions

once its there start up Arma3 with Ravage mod and go to scenarios on the main menu and choose Roads from the list.

Hi rsoftokz,

I just played your mission for 2 hours.
Because I normally don't use community addons I only installed CBA and Ravage.

I started in the dark and had to cheat a a bit with the Gamma to see anything.

I walked north (I found a compass later) and collected everything I found.
Finally I arrived at Charkia and visited nearly every house.

I'm now well equiped with a 9mm gun with 9 magazines.
I have a tent, a compas, a binocular, many lights, a knive, 2 other pistols, a medipack, some water, matches and some other stuff.

But nothing happened until now. I'm alone (now it's day, because I slept 2hours) and there is nothig living.
No other survivors and no terrorists.
At the moment it's just running arround and collecting (without any other person) useless stuff.
And that's boring...

What must I do for some action?

Hi rsoftokz,

I just played your mission for 2 hours.

Because I normally don't use community addons I only installed CBA and Ravage.

I started in the dark and had to cheat a a bit with the Gamma to see anything.

I walked north (I found a compass later) and collected everything I found.

Finally I arrived at Charkia and visited nearly every house.

I'm now well equiped with a 9mm gun with 9 magazines.

I have a tent, a compas, a binocular, many lights, a knive, 2 other pistols, a medipack, some water, matches and some other stuff.

But nothing happened until now. I'm alone (now it's day, because I slept 2hours) and there is nothig living.

No other survivors and no terrorists.

At the moment it's just running arround and collecting (without any other person) useless stuff.

And that's boring...

What must I do for some action?

You can go to the central airport area, there is a huge camp at there. The most interesting thing is most of them are survivors with red name.  Some gas stations and towns also contain guards and camps. 

You should have ran into some bandits within the first 30min at least.

I edited the mission for myself changed the time and added another module for the bandits so theres more of them, as well as more bandit triggers for camps, now its continuous action.

If you know how to edit you can do the same.

You should have ran into some bandits within the first 30min at least.

I edited the mission for myself changed the time and added another module for the bandits so theres more of them, as well as more bandit triggers for camps, now its continuous action.

If you know how to edit you can do the same.

How to modify the mission? Could you pleas help us to share this method?  :D  

any Arma 3 mission can be modified, you'll find lot of tutorials about how to use the Editor.
you have to decompile the any_mission_name.pbo with PBOmanager

here on google search page for infos: https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pbomanager

once decompiled with PBOmanager, copy and paste all the files and folders in the PBOManager windows to your  documents folder/arma3/missions/mane_of_the_mission.name_of_the_map

(for example here roads.altis)

then start Arma3 and use the editor to open the mission

then you can add or delete triggers to spawn more or less bandits

you'll might need to modify also the "RAVAGE Modules" settings

and if you have more skills, you can also modify the scripts.

if you don't know anything about how to do all of this: Google will help you to find lots of threads on forums to learn how to do... 

as we all did here ;)

have fun and enjoy.

• Like 1

How to modify the mission? Could you pleas help us to share this method?

What rsoftokz said, you need a tool (pbomanager) as suggested which i use myself, you basically locate the mission pbo, then open it with the tool,

you can view the contents of the pbo if you wish or extract it.

A pbo is like a zip file for the game, so you need to open it.

Once you have the pbo extracted, you will get a folder, the folder will be the name of the mission, so for example, extracting Roads you will get: roads.altis

roads is the mission and .altis is the map that its on, from here you want to locate your editors folder for arma3, for me its here

C:\Users\Gunter Severloh\Documents\Arma 3\missions

you move this folder to that location and then start the game up , then go to the 3d editor, from there you need to load the mission, so choose roads from the list.

once its open then you can look around and if you want a 2d view then go to the key for that, suggest following the editor tutorials on how to do things in it.

After that basically edit the triggers, click on them to activate (highlight) them and you can press control c to copy and then paste them wherever.

Its very easy to do but if your not familiar with the editor and all that i explained here as linked above i suggest you learn how its rather fun, once you know the basics of the

editor you can create your own ravage missions and edit, tweak others to your own play style.

heres the Eden editor wiki: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Eden_Editor

this will help you get familiarized with the workings of it, suggest you go ingame and learn how to do simple stuff first, like placing a player

and then previewing the mission, and then go further, also review the tutorial in the editor as they can be accessed at top right of the editor, wiki is the same.

• Like 1

any Arma 3 mission can be modified, you'll find lot of tutorials about how to use the Editor.

you have to decompile the any_mission_name.pbo with PBOmanager

here on google search page for infos: https://www.google.fr/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pbomanager

once decompiled with PBOmanager, copy and paste all the files and folders in the PBOManager windows to your  documents folder/arma3/missions/mane_of_the_mission.name_of_the_map

(for example here roads.altis)

then start Arma3 and use the editor to open the mission

then you can add or delete triggers to spawn more or less bandits

you'll might need to modify also the "RAVAGE Modules" settings

and if you have more skills, you can also modify the scripts.

if you don't know anything about how to do all of this: Google will help you to find lots of threads on forums to learn how to do... 

as we all did here ;)

have fun and enjoy.

Appreciate your great work in this mission.  I think the modification is another kind of fun--DIY :D  I will try my best! Hopefully, this is also a choice to refine my programing skills in C++ . Thanks a lot.

What rsoftokz said, you need a tool (pbomanager) as suggested which i use myself, you basically locate the mission pbo, then open it with the tool,

you can view the contents of the pbo if you wish or extract it.

A pbo is like a zip file for the game, so you need to open it.

Once you have the pbo extracted, you will get a folder, the folder will be the name of the mission, so for example, extracting Roads you will get: roads.altis

roads is the mission and .altis is the map that its on, from here you want to locate your editors folder for arma3, for me its here

C:\Users\Gunter Severloh\Documents\Arma 3\missions

you move this folder to that location and then start the game up , then go to the 3d editor, from there you need to load the mission, so choose roads from the list.

once its open then you can look around and if you want a 2d view then go to the key for that, suggest following the editor tutorials on how to do things in it.

After that basically edit the triggers, click on them to activate (highlight) them and you can press control c to copy and then paste them wherever.

Its very easy to do but if your not familiar with the editor and all that i explained here as linked above i suggest you learn how its rather fun, once you know the basics of the

editor you can create your own ravage missions and edit, tweak others to your own play style.

heres the Eden editor wiki: https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Eden_Editor

this will help you get familiarized with the workings of it, suggest you go ingame and learn how to do simple stuff first, like placing a player

and then previewing the mission, and then go further, also review the tutorial in the editor as they can be accessed at top right of the editor, wiki is the same.

Thanks men. Appreciate your sharing. The coolest thing is that I met many good guys in this forum and they are really good at sharing. I will try to modify something on my own first :D. HAHA, maybe, I will post my own mission and share with you guys later!!(Maybe in ARMA 4 :rolleyes:) HAHA

I hope this mod isn't dead. This is great stuff, and can only get better. It is one of the most irritating and miserable experiences I've had in ARMA, and I mean that as a compliment. The way you start off with nothing but ill placed hope, and then if you live long enough it just keeps getting better and better. Thank you for this, and I hope you are or can continue your great work.

I hope this mod isn't dead.

Yes I hope rsoftokz hasn't given up on this as I think it has the potential to be the best Ravage mission so far.

Hi rsoftokz, I was wondering if you could help me with an issue I'm having your Chenarus Summer version of this mission.  I have an issue when searching through trashcans/junkpiles and things like that, it takes between 30-60 seconds if not longer.  How can I shorten this to where it's only  around 6-10 seconds?  This is on your mission and a copy of it that I'm editing.

I also have a very strange issue when editing your mission.  While having it open in the editor I don't see all of the extra things you've added, I can see some but not all.  For example: at the North East airfield there are two extra hangers and a big building that I see while playing the mission but not in the editor.  Another example is on top of one of the hills where you have a huge camp set up.  I see this in the game but not in the editor. . .  I'm baffled as to why this is.  Could you tell me how I can see these things in the editor so that I don't put something on the map where there is already an object placed.

One more thing, I would like for my character to start out with a rifle and one magazine but for the life of me I can't seem to find the location to change this.  Would you point me in the right direction please.  Thank you for making these especially without zombies.  Good god I hate the zombie fad and can't wait for it to go away.

• Like 1