rsoftokz

[SP] ROADS for RAVAGE

yes this is a camp from Arma campaign.

the weird thing is all crates should have been empty by init line AND Ravage setting.....

• Like 1

In ROADS version Is it possible to have other Survivors join you?

If so how does that work?

Are ROADS and ROADSZ just alike except for Zombie module in Mission?

Thanks,

if you meet survivor, just come close to him and on your nmenu (scrool mouse) you'll have the option "recruit unit".

it is a RAVAGE option.

ROADZ is Zombie version of ROADS, there are few differences but 98% of the mission is shared on both missions.

• Like 1

FPS DROPPING !!! max of 13-16frames in day 2-3 .. why ? :((

is this only in roads ??..

the matter when you are making/building mission, is you rarely have time to play one mission that long (never went further than 12/15 hours of playtime because I always have something to add/modify/test and need a fresh restart.)

Why FPS drops ???
if I had the answer, it wouldn't drop anymore.

weather, SFX, predisposed AIs on map, objects, some scripts... all of those can make FPS drop.

Arma III settings are very important too and I have to say all of those might  be (are ?!?) the cause for dropping.

as far as I know, it seems Ravage vanilla mission suffered FPS drop too (discussed on Ravage thread) and this appears after 1.54 update.

I have downloaded and studied latest big missions shared on the net (like Contention for example) that have much more objects and scripts than ROADS .
those missions are build almost the same way (ROADS mission.sqm is lighter  than Contention one) .
I didn't have time to play contention but I would be curious to see the FPS on this mission too.

about ROADS, since the very first build, I have worked on pre disposed AIs (90% of them have been removed  now for dynamic AI spawn )
most of "unnecessary" items have been removed too.

I tweaked the SFX (dust storm) for it had less effect of FPS (I tried a ROADS version without this SFX and I have almost no difference  about FPS - no more than 2-5 FPS more on the no storm version).

FPS drop is something that sucks on Arma 3 for long and is still a mystery for a lot of people.

I'll do my best to find a solution about ROADS but I'm afraid I can't do miracle.

• Like 1

Hi guys!

I just came home and I'm reading the latest feedback; I'm a bit tired at the moment, so I won't answer each post right away (but be assured that I'm tweaking a few things already!).

One thing I'd like to confirm : it looks like that, for some of you at least, the numerical display when using a Geiger counter might be off-screen...

I'm under the impression that the current function isn't compatible with all screen aspect ratios - it shouldn't be too much trouble to fix though.

As for the framerate decaying over time : it is most likely caused by all the wrecks spawning around towns & villages as the player move around (most of them are dynamically spawned). PhysX simulation does cost a bit performance-wise.

Everything else, including weaponHolders, is/should be handled already by Ravage clean-up systems.

Good thing is : I started working on a caching system for vehicles some time ago. I just need to polish it; hopefully it will be the end of FPS issues on the long run.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to report issues & oddities!

• Like 3

All right I must be missing something simple. How do you cook food? Got the meat with the knife, put it in a fire already made by bandits, and nothing happens. Am I not waiting long enough?

As far as I can tell the fire has to be made with your own matches + material (ie. Notepads)  

Premade fires don't have the addaction attached to them that player created fires do.

I'm afraid you have to light on your own fire.

this function is from RAVAGE's side. I have to say I didn't try to cook a single rabbit by my own (to busy on other things to play that long  :P  )

my son did, he had to light  his own fire place.

ask Haleks on RAVAGE thread.

Edit: teivoSpy is faster than I am  :)  ;) 

so yes it make sense you have to make your own fireplace

Glad to see there is a survival/loot mod that is not online. Good job. A few criticisms related to the beginning if I may.

Is there a way to start in a little bit more of daylight.  I get pissed off after 20 mins of pitch black. 

I totally agree with this. I was lucky enough to have ran in the direction of Kore, so my only chemlight ran out barely seconds after I heard shots and started running towards the camp that happened to be there (before I even saw the light). Otherwise I would have given up because what's the point? With no light whatsoever I won't be able to loot even if I stumble upon a house.

This beginning is not fun at all IMO, and there is a whole mix of things that make it so:

The time is x1, while looting in Kore around the camp I heard the church bell ring 10 times, so we potentially have 7+ RL hours of running around in total darkness... probably making circles in the same 200m square :).

We shouldn't need a sleeping bag or a tent to spend time. I sit down and wait and try to sleep until morning, period. Without any regeneration. Or at worst, let me do it inside any house. If you don't loot an item that allows to sleep or an illuminated village before the chemlight runs out, you have to restart.

You can't even see the road without the flare. Please give more.

Better yet, make the starting time of day configurable, as well as the time multiplier maybe?

Question about the AI. AI in Arma3 is weird, what are the rules in this mod and scenario? Is it blind in darkness like I am? Is it hampered by the imperfect NVGs (according to the docs, I haven't found one yet). If it *is* hampered by darkness, am I making myself a huge target from hundreds of meters away when running around with a lit chemlight?

Does AI sleep at night?

Edit: I forgot. Good job about the [H]elp screens. Maybe the first one should be about "double-click on the chemlight to light it up, don't worry, it won't fall to the ground" :)?

I noticed that tents have an inventory. Are they safe to store items in, in terms of both the engine removing or cleaning them up after some time, and NPCs stealing stuff from them?

Are there vendors to sell stuff to, like in various DayZ mods?

How often do you meet guys that want to join you? I've seen a few, some armed, some unarmed, that let me come close to them thanks to the Incognito mod maybe, none had any option to be asked to join me. If you are not with me you are against me,and what happened to them is not important now. Maybe those that spawn without a weapon or ammo, e.g. those that cannot shoot, should automatically be friendly?

Hello Guys and Happy new Year

@ Neofit

some tips to begin the mission  the best way:

it is called "ROADS"... maybe just because ROADS always get you somewhere  ;)

when lost in the darkness, follow the road.

the goal is to survive and this mission is a challenge.
I played it thousands of times, never have a problem on the start, even sometimes I made the wrong choices.
if I can give an advice,  use Incognito and Mocap mods.
Incognito allow you to stay undetected as Hostile most of time, mostly when you are coming from behind a patrol.
MOCAP allow you to fight without a gun and to silently kill your enemies.
this and that will allow you to kill the last guy of a patrol when they walk "careless" way... and then you have a gun......kill or run....

one another tip: if you ear gunfight away, try to see from where it come, go there safely , try to find bodies and take what you need on them 

since V.0.0.4 you can search in trash in the whole island... trash piles are full of chemlights  ;)

look around you, search for light sources: that means people around most of time...

now, please, to be confuse between "ROADS " (a mission) and RAVAGE (the mod).

ROADS is a mission build for RAVAGE .

to answer to your questions:

We shouldn't need a sleeping bag or a tent to spend time. I sit down and wait and try to sleep until morning, period. Without any regeneration. Or at worst, let me do it inside any house. If you don't loot an item that allows to sleep or an illuminated village before the chemlight runs out, you have to restart.

sleeping to make time jump is RAVAGE function. by my own opinion it is the best way to do it.
sleeping in a tent can be done everywhere on the map, with a sleeping bag, you have to be in a safe place (house, shelter ) .
if you run out of chemlights in pitch black, you might change the game setting in "video" to increase brightness and gammas... this will helps you to see better in darkness.
the other way is to wait hidden close to the burning truck.. you'll see a squand of bandits coming in a minutes or two... use MOCAP and Incognito to be able to kill the last guy, take his weapon, kill the other onces before they kill you.... challenge !!!
most of time, if you use Massi's Mod or EricJ mods, there are great chances for one guy have some NVGs. if not, they might have lights or chemlights (most of time )

if you are able to see a light source away, go straight to it...

Better yet, make the starting time of day configurable, as well as the time multiplier maybe?

it is in the future plans for the mission, but not for now, they are other priorities (see below about the mission news)

Question about the AI. AI in Arma3 is weird, what are the rules in this mod and scenario? Is it blind in darkness like I am? Is it hampered by the imperfect NVGs (according to the docs, I haven't found one yet). If it *is* hampered by darkness, am I making myself a huge target from hundreds of meters away when running around with a lit chemlight?

AIs behavior  is more or less unpredictable.... this is on Arma and BIS sides.... there are some mods to improve AIS.
Incognito mod allow AIs to be less "superman" in some condition, like at night where they can "see" you in pitch black and kill you with a single bullet....

on the opposite, when you run with a chemlight on you, AIs don't see you as a target from miles away... just because you don't have to think like "human" but like "computer" and lines of scripts...
they are not programmed to "see" you when you have a light on you (but humans do ) but the can "see" you in pitch black becaus ethey are programmed to detect you in some conditions....

NVGs can be found on Bandits spawned (squads or renegades).

Does AI sleep at night?

absolutly....not.
sleeping is just a way to make "time jump".
Default RAVAGE time is x4... it is setted x1 for ROADS/ROADZ because this mission is made to be "realistic"... this is why most of people think it is "hard"... but in fact, if you "think survival" it is not that hard... just make the good choices.

Edit: I forgot. Good job about the [H]elp screens. Maybe the first one should be about "double-click on the chemlight to light it up, don't worry, it won't fall to the ground"  :)?

thanks but this is part of RAVAGE mod... I have activated them on this mission to help.
at the begining ot the mission release, chemlights options are on ROADS side, Haleks add this option to RAVAGE.
people are asking for several other option as being able to throw the chemlight , to pick it up , to attach it again on the player... this is Work In Progress, I don't know if he will add this and when.

I noticed that tents have an inventory. Are they safe to store items in, in terms of both the engine removing or cleaning them up after some time, and NPCs stealing stuff from them?

YES tents are good safes ! you can store your items in a tent somewhere or/and into spawned vehicles on the Roads (they are safe too).

NEVER store your items into a loot container.. all will disappear as there is a loot clean up option activated to save FPS and ressources.

Are there vendors to sell stuff to, like in various DayZ mods?

NO

not yet, not sure it is planed for future updates... this is a question to ask on RAVAGE thread.

and on my side, if Haleks make this in RAVAGE, I will not use this system: surviving is taking what you can grab where and when you can: bodies, loot system.... are enough on my opinion.

How often do you meet guys that want to join you? I've seen a few, some armed, some unarmed, that let me come close to them thanks to the Incognito mod maybe, none had any option to be asked to join me. If you are not with me you are against me,and what happened to them is not important now. Maybe those that spawn without a weapon or ammo, e.g. those that cannot shoot, should automatically be friendly?

this is absolutly randomized.
I played some missions where I met several "friendly" survivors in 10 minutes of intervals ( those guys will not shoot at you and there is a option in the menu when you are close enough "recruit unit" (scrool mouse button ) ) and I played some missions where I didn't met a single one. (but I eard gunfights away so I guess there are some )

unarmed guys are most of time... enemies.
in fact, I didn't plan to have unarmed guys ... it seems to be a "bug" from the script. I firstly tried to fix it up..; never found why/what/where it failed to spawn a weapon for those ones.
finally, it doesn't affect the game that much and thoes are easy targets. (and IRL you certainly meet people without guns )

the Mod and the mission scripts are made to spawn factions.. bandits (in squads or cars), renegades ( lone wolfes guys ) ... and friendly survivors (alone too )

friendly AI is a very good asset if you can find one and recruit him: it will be a good "warning radar" as AI detect other AI before you can.

AI,as gunner in a armed car, is real sniper (one bullet on moving car is enough for an AI while humas will spend two ammos boxes...) :D  :P

anyway, here are news about the incoming V.0.0.5 (ETA unknown for now)

-V.0.0.5 

- new scripting to match with latest  RAVAGE updates ( newest gear distribution about uniforms)

- updated loot setting (RAVAGE loot system and ROADS trash loot system )

- newest randomized uniform and equipement for the player

- mission porting to CUP terrains "CHERNARUS" maps (fall and summer version) and CHERNARUS WINTER map for Arma 3 (Work in Progress)

-updated trashloot system to add more loot option with the Arma 2/OA/A3 world

-adapted uniforms on gear spawn funtion for AIS and player in Winter map (more "winter uniforms from Massi and EricJ mods )

-modified places on the map to add buildings, objects and more to change Chernarus (in the same idea than DayZ SA Chernarus Plus map ) - all scripted (WIP , with the help of X_Cam Editor )

-nights in Chernarus are no more "pitch black"... chemlights are not a matter, mostly on Charnarus "Winter" version.

V.0.0.5 release will take some time, I'd like to release Altis update in the same time I will release Chernarus ports.

latest CUP Terrains Pack Update have crashed/disable some modified places I build with X_Cam.....
I need to check it up (more than 1000 objects added )

I hope to do it the faster I can.

befor ethat, some previews.....

1GdfQO.jpgNIijt8.jpg

2dgQtE.jpg

d9dRQE.jpg

4dHtVH.jpg

7zsRV8.jpg

• Like 2

I have an extra bright Asus monitor made for the NVidia 3D glasses, in every game night time is like early evening. But when there is NO light (go far so you don't see the wreck anymore), there is no more light for monitor settings or in-game gamma controls to increase. So everything is pitch black, not dark but black, and you can't see the road. Looks at the stars to see a faint light, and it gets worse: you even lost your direction.

re: looting chemlights. Yes, I noticed that the game is 90% about looting chemlights and empty cans once you get past the first night ;). The problem is getting past this first night. An extra chemlight or two, on you or the corpse by the burning wreck would be useful.

;)  I understand that.... the challenge is here " survive and not to get (too much) lost the first two hours (mission time begins at 5.10, on the end of december, dawn comes at 7.00 )

I might add one chemlight more (and turn the red to blue as red doesn't light that much )

RH accessories mod  offer some Surefire weapon lights.

with Mocap and Incognito, I recommande RH pistol and RH accessories mods (weapons lights for rifles and handguns)
Tryk and  Massi mods (devgru/socom and SF Rifles Nato/Russian and Vehicles at least,  optional vehicles pbo offers and range choice for helicopters patroling in sky) for uniforms.

none of those mods is "required" but I recommand to use them.

in the next updates, with RAVAGE and CBA_A3, CUP terrains pack and CHernarus Winter A3 will be required too (those if you want to play on one of the Chernarus map )
I might introduce too compatibility for CUP Units and Weapons mods.

(mission time begins at 5.10, on the end of december, dawn comes at 7.00 )

I noticed that, which is rather weird. I know that after spawning and reaching Kore, I spent about an hour running around looting the place, and checking how well Incognito is working in this mod. I am pretty sure that while doing that, I heard the local church bell ring 10 times. I never paid attention to bells before, I always had a watch or didn't care about the time of day, I'm not even sure that I ever heard a church bell in Arma before. So I took this one as a clue from the either Ravage or Roads to help me assess the time of day. Then I go to sleep for 6 hours and it's already full daytime. I reload, sleep for 3 hours, daytime again. Reload, sleep for 1 hour, daytime again. Hmmm. So I assumed that the sleep feature was wrong. Now I believe it's the church bell.

Anyway, nice work.

I don't want to be too critical, I can't imagine all the work that had to be done to have this mod going, but as an observation, I personally will wait for some goals to be implemented. Running around looting is fun for a couple of hours, but only as a means to an end, not as a goal in itself. I'm not even sure that IRL I would bother fighting to survive a few extra days of a shitty life if there was no hope for anything better. Be it building a base with n survivors, finding, ahem, a lost brother, finding a cure in some lab, finding and shooting patient zero, saving a princess, whatever :).

Been having fun playing around with ROADS. Just have to figure out how to get certain ACE3 modules to work on savegame reloads. Was kind of curious on the story side myself as well. Understand that you want to get the underlying mechanics taken care of first though.

Was also wondering if it would be possible to create the ability to turn off the sand storm affects similar to the way you can turn off Halek's color filter?

Looking forward to the Chernarus map. That is where I started playing Arma with some Arma 2 SP DayZ mods.

personnaly I don't recommand using ACE mod, but every one is free to use any mod he wants.

I don't build ROADS "around" ACE modules, not sure all of them are compatible with RAVAGE.

the less dependency to mods I have, the better I feel with my mission. 

It is why I "recommand" mods and some are very "usefull" to the mission (Incognito, Mocap, Tryk ) but none of them are "required".

for now the only required is CBA_A3 and RAVAGE of course (since Haleks build RAVAGE to be dependant of the usefull CBA_A3 mod ).

when I will have ported ROADS on other maps, there will be two required mods added then: CUP Terrain pack Full (Terrains_Core and Terrains_Maps) to use Chernarus, Chernarus_Summer maps and the CHernarus_Winter_A3 mod to use Chernarus_Winter map.

adding "options" to set on/off is planning, but I cannot tell you "when" it will be released.

for now I am very busy on Chernarus porting.

modified scripts to match latest RAVAGE update are done.

in the actual state, ROADS V.0.0.5 on Altis required some test. it will stay with "editor added objects" on map.

with Chernarus Port, I'm testing a scripted version of the modified/added objects on map. for now it work bit it load all at the mission start (unless AIs that spawn around the player only)

I will have to work once all objects added (for now more than 2000 ) to script for they spawn only around the player at a certain distance.

if all of thoses tests and scripts will be fine, I will use the same architecture for Altis mission ( Editor map should be only with markers and triggers then , no more added objects )

the good news is (at least on my test ) Chernarus Winter map is "FPS Friendly" since snow replace lot of bushes and grass and sot Arma needs less ressource then.

so you guys can already download CUP Terrains pack and Chernarus Winter A3 map.....

there will be a pbo for each ROADS and ROADZ to play on Chernarus maps, any season.....  :)

• Like 1

OK

time to release V.0.0.5 P

why "P"??

"P" is for Ported.

V.0.0.5 is now available for Altis but also for all Chernarus maps supported by CUP Terrains packs.

what's new ???

V.0.0.5P Chernarus_Winter/Chernarus_Summer/Chernarus/ALTIS/ general mission:

- due to CUP Terrains Pack latest update (V.1.0.1, _Core and _Maps) some Ravage functions might not work properly on Chernarus maps (missing locations, will not spawn properly bandits random squads, wrecks and more...)

- re-written scripts to match new RAVAGE Update V.0.1.34 (no more LV2/Lv3 uniforms)
- re-arranged map (triggers, objects)
- re-written spawn gear for player: now player spawn with random uniform on mission start and two blue chems.
- re-written uniforms selection for AIs to match Chernarus_Winter map (winter uniforms from massi, Tryk mods) -most of AIs will have warm clothes, some still in summer/spring clothes
- randomized anti personnal bounding mines spreading on whole map (approx 400 mines all over the map, randomly)
- script to modify Chernarus maps on some specific places (more building from Arma 3 config added, bandits base and camps, fortified bandits seized fuel station ) more than 4000 objects added (not visible on map)
- weapons and accessories from SMA (mod compatibility extended)
- ambiant helos flights with  random type of helos (compatibles with massi's mods and KYO MH-47E)
- tweaked additional Trashloot system - now compatible with CUP_terrains pack classnames- extended aeras to search - places might be searchable once or twice before declared "empty "
- tweaked RAVAGE loot system (percentage of chance to spawn items)

so,

for ALTIS

no required mods except, of course, RAVAGE  and CBA_A3

for CHERNARUS maps.

CUP Terrains pack (_Core and _Maps) and Chernarus Winter A3 are also required now.

CUP TP for all maps,
Chernarus Winter only if you want to play the winter map.
Chernarus Winter can be used with  both CUP TP or AiA TP mods
but as AiA TP is no longer supported, I highly recommand CUP TP

be aware I started the porting with CUP TP beta release and all went fine then....
but since the official release V.1.0  and V.1.0.1 patch, there are no more "locations" on Chernarus map.
that means some "RAVAGE functions" may not work (or actually don't work ) on those maps for now.
IE: lights are now continiously ON at night and undestructible..

otherwise, the mission is still playable, nights are just no more pitch black.
there is NO dust effect on Chernarus maps.
Winter Map has its own randomized weather file with snow (not falling inside building nor vehicles, no more visible when you are in a car but still falling when going out)

recommanded mods list updated on the first_page of this topic

DOWNLOAD LINKS

ltKc4O.png Google drive 

V.0.0.5P ALTIS

RfNcSU.png

as usual, I recommand to search for the latest updates of all recommanded mods and all the additionnal mods you will use to play with ROADS.

enjoy

(first page of this thread updated)

WARNING

due to "missing locations" on Chernarus maps, ROADZ cannot be updated for now (Zombies will not spawn). I have to wait for CUP guys to fix the matter.
  • Like 2

- randomized anti personnal bounding mines spreading on whole map (approx 400 mines all over the map, randomly)

Oh, please tell me you added the mine detector to the loot tables. :o

Oh, please tell me you added the mine detector to the loot tables. :o

absolutly.......not.

:)

on Chernarus Winter map, mines are easy to spot.

on other maps.....

you know there was a mine once... :P  :D

the funny thing is to see a squad chasing on  you and to be stopped by  the guy who put his foot on this toy.

400 mines spreaded all other the map......you have a low percentage of chance to put your foot on one of them 

• Like 1

Could be fun, could be interesting, oh please let me see that initial squad, that checks out the fire, step on one.

Guessing that the mines might appear on the roads too. Going to have to keep a sharp eye open on road when on the move for these. Won't due to die just after stealing an armed vehicle.

Like the mission, lots of fun. Would be nice if you can choose the time scale at the start.

Also, how do you tell the difference between bandits and survivors?