Sign in to follow this  
Mynock

Preventive Diplomacy; Exact Requirements for Defending Town?

I'm about 60 hours into trying to complete this mission, not really sure what else to do at this point. Does anyone know the exact requirements for completing the task of defending the town?

I have destroyed all the vehicles. I have killed every AAF soldier I can find. I have done a painstaking 13 hour (yes, seriously, over multiple days) house to house, room to room check of every single structure remotely near the town and even some so far it would seem ridiculous that would be part of a trigger to complete the task. I have circled the area multiple times trying to draw fire, I have used the drone's thermal to check for enemies, I have verified my game cache, I am running 100% vanilla on the stable branch, I have restarted the mission several times to try and fix the problem, I have watched countless walkthroughs where other people succeed doing exactly what I do, I have read every thread ever made with every possible fix and tried each fix at least twice.

Nothing. The defense task never completes and I am stuck in an endless loop.

The exact requirements would be great, otherwise I give up and I guess I'll live whatever is left of the campaign vicariously through youtube videos.

Looks like

2x Kuma MBT unable to move

2x Gorgon (wheeled APCs) unable to move

1x strider (HMG) unable to move

Out of approx 10 infantry (two teams, one team is with the strider), kill enough so that your group has more units than than the attacking infantry

Some keys to complete mission:

Revert game to start of mission.

1) Use sniper rifle to kill as many AAF footmobiles as possible from tower in solar field. You can also take out roving AAF Gorgon in town using Scalpel missiles on drone from the tower. But use only one missile when you have a really good lock on target.  It's better to conserve Scalpels for main armor attack after town is secured.

2) After town is secured and savegame occurs, armor + mech infantry will attack. Use Scalpel missiles on drone to take out as many vehicles as possible. You will have to take flying control and dive bomb the armor, madly hitting Tab to lock your Scalpels before firing.  Don't bother firing Scalpels using turret controls.

3) Also direct artillery attacks against armor using drone and the map. Don't waste limited arty ammo on AAF footmobiles that are guarding the town, save them for the attack as much as possible.  When most or all of the attacking armor has been neutralized, then the arty can be quite effective against attacking footmobiles.

4) Arm your squad with loose PCML AT weapons lying around.  Take out any armor you missed using AT weapons. 

5) Preserve the lives of as many men in your squad as possible at all times.  Protect the Marshall IFV as it will come in handy later.  Make sure you target AAF AT soldiers in the town.

6) Never call in CAS support heli if any enemy armor can still fire, as mission will fail immediately if heli is shot down.

Looks like

2x Kuma MBT unable to move

2x Gorgon (wheeled APCs) unable to move

1x strider (HMG) unable to move

Out of approx 10 infantry (two teams, one team is with the strider), kill enough so that your group has more units than than the attacking infantry

Thanks for your reply, but as I wrote in my original post, I am 99% confident I have killed every single soldier within a reasonable range (about 1km) from the town, including my 13 hr room to room search of every single building within that radius and every street, back ally, etc to make sure I didn't miss a single area. I suppose the enemies could be moving and hiding in areas I previously checked, but that seems overly intelligent for AI.

Some keys to complete mission:

Revert game to start of mission.

1) Did that

2) Did that

3) Only used artillery on the armor and vehicles, killed all infantry with my character.

4) Haven't missed an armor, confirmed via drone's IR camera, there are 0 heat signatures anywhere remotely near the town except my team. Vehicles are not just disabled, they are completely destroyed.

5) They're all alive

6) This is 110% false. In one of my playthroughs the helicopter went down and the mission kept right on going.

I have never, ever had the CAS heli survive for long, and the mission always failed and ended immediately when it went down.  Calling in CAS has always made the mission end within 2 minutes, and many others have noticed this.  It just happened again during a replay yesterday.  But I have always called in CAS when I am in trouble and AAF armor can still fire.  But that is not your problem. 

You should delete the quote of my message, as it gives away spoilers.  You don't have to report what you did and didn't do.  We don't care.  We're just trying to help.  Why, I don't know.  Anyone who spends more than a few hours on this mission should have their head examined.  60 hours?  Time to seek professional help.

I understand you're trying to help and I appreciate it, however I have done all that you suggest and the mission continues indefinitely, so there must be something else going on. I also do not appreciate you suggesting my head needs to be examined for persevering and trying to complete the mission. I understand this is the internet so you feel entitled to say whatever you wish since there will be no consequences, but that does not mean it is necessary.

Additionally, I should report what I have and have not tried, otherwise I will receive 10 of the same response and that won't get me anywhere, why you think that not reporting what I have and have not tried baffles me.

After the CAS helicopter went down for me I played for another 45 minutes or so without issue, the mission never completed or failed on that runthrough, although that's hardly the issue nor is it really what I'm looking to find out. I'm more interested in the trigger or script requirements for completing the task and mission as obviously they are not firing or working when I play it. If I had more in depth knowledge of the triggers or scripts BI used to define the parameters for completing the task I might be able to do things in a certain order or whatever to aid in finishing the mission.

Despite your poor attitude and defensive nature I still edited my quoted post per your request.

Perhaps you are exceptionally talented at Arma games, and that's great, but not everyone is, so if you would like to continue helping me and others, by all means it will be appreciated, but if it's a burden on you and is a waste of your time because others are not as talented as yourself then commenting such things like

We don't care.  We're just trying to help.  Why, I don't know.  Anyone who spends more than a few hours on this mission should have their head examined.  60 hours?  Time to seek professional help.

really isn't necessary.

There is a possibility that one (or more) of the attacking armored vehicles is stuck somewhere rather far from the town, undamaged.  You could use the drone thermals to search for it, then take your team over there and take care of it.  Just an idea...  But I have never seen that happen personally.

You shouldn't have to worry about trigger/script requirements.  Something else is going on.  The mission should play through fluidly, so your immersion has already been ruined if all is quiet after the attack and you are waiting around or searching on foot for enemy in the town.  Don't waste more time on that playthrough.  The mission always ended normally for me, after some difficulty at the end.  And I have played through at least 3-4 times over the last 2+ years.  

8c6ffa361958958.jpgc0e887361958962.jpg

If all the attacking armor and footmobiles in the town are dead and the mission doesn't end, stop playing immediately and reload last autosave.  Do that a few times (you probably have).  If that doesn't work, revert to start (you probably have).  If you still can't get through, even after following all of my suggestions, report a ticket in feedback tracker.  But don't hold your breath on a fix.

You removing my quote is not for my benefit, but for others'.  And possibly yourself, as you may receive an infraction for posting spoilers like that. 

You saying "110% untrue" elicited my rather cold response.  Blame yourself for my language, not me.  There are several other threads here about this mission.  Have you checked them?

----

Edit: As you said you have cleared the town and killed all the attacking armor, and your team is still alive, the issue likely has little to do with your talent at playing Arma.  You have already done the hard part.  Something else is wrong.

Edit2: I have never had to search the town for enemy either during or after the attack.  You shouldn't have to do that.  And you have already searched the area for hostiles using the drone thermals.

Edit3: I just replayed the mission on Veteran using 1.54 RC, and it finished normally, as before.  The mission seems to behave the same as the other times I played, so I am confident it isn't bugged or adversely affected by recent Arma 3 changes.  I didn't call in CAS.  See debriefing screens below.

c4cf49448675452.jpg6d9515448675456.jpg

Look at those stats!  What a badass!  ;)

Edit4:  I slightly modified the mission hints in my first post above.