mind

Composition tool - Eden editor plugin

steam_logo.jpg

OVERVIEW

CompoT is a toolset designed for mission/addon makers to place and manipulate objects. CompoT is integrated directly into Eden mission editor, allowing you to place most ArmA 3 buildings and objects seamlessly, while normal mission making.

To play mission made using CompoT, players do not need to have addon installed, everything is stored in mission.sqm and/or ct_projects.sqf. Addon is needed only for mission making process.

CompoT have powerful GUI tools to utilize objects added by other addons, as example it is natively compatible with CUP objects, which is 3500 additional objects.

CompoT`s cornerstone is randomization. With CompoT, mission/addon makers are able to significantly increase replayability and overall variability of their missions, by adding certain level of battle field randomization.

CompoT is aiming to support as much of community tools and utilities as it possibly can. If you like to have CompoT`s functionality in your own project/addon/what-ever-you-are-doing, please don’t hesitate to contact me, I will be happy to help integrate CompoT in your project.

CompoT is open source, it is found on GitHub, feel free to fork and/or pull request.

Stable branch v0.2 github

Dev branch github (latest updates and issues ^_^)

KEY FEATURES

• Solid connection to Eden Editor
  • Powerful object browser tool, with searching.
  • Can be used to place objects from any mod or addon.
  • Does not need mod to be installed for playing mission.
  • Can be used virtually in any kind of missions, including persistent MP missions like DayZ.
  • Flexible means of randomization.
  • Object library with more than 4.5 k entities, all categorized and have screenshots. 

SHOWCASES

If you would like to see CompoT in action, consider playing RTDM - Randomized Team DeathMatch.

This game mode build around randomization of battlefield, looting and round based - one life - team death match.

You can directly connect server with IP address 173.199.107.44:2302

Or search new server browser for "RTDM"

In order to play you don`t need any mods. Please join the fight and call your friends!

TS server available on same IP as server, password: rtdm

INSTALLATION

To install the Composition tool you should use modfolders to keep it seperate from the official game content to prevent issues.
With Arma 3 you can use different ways to set up your modfolders to use custom content you have downloaded.

STABLE 0.2

Armaholic

Workshop

DEVELOPMENT

Armaholic

Workshop

Dev build have all the latest features and new bugs. It is updated as frequently as new features or fixes added.

This is same as github`s CompoT->dev, but packed and sighned.

MEDIA TUTORIALS

Please see tutorials on official youtube channel.

You will find all tutorials in this playlist.

If you have tutorial request, let me know in this thread, i will try and make it for you.

CONTACT

If you like to contribute to project, have suggestions, want to add support for your objects addon or just talk about Composition Tool. Feel free to contact me via one of the following methods.

• Hate typing like me? Like to have voice conversation? Join discord
  • PM me on this forum

CHANGE LOG

Changes mentioned from oldest to newest

---/VERSION 0.1

Initial release

---/VERSION 0.2
Added:
- Check if playable unit is placed before CT launch
- Object surface snapping while building and grabbing (CTRL+S)
- Better object grabbing mechanism
- Loading screen while loading configs
- Config loading only once per arma lunch
- Object surface snapping while building and grabbing (CTRL+S)
- Objects snapping in eden
- While in eden SHIFT+LMB to place object straight up on any surface
- Category selection in object browser moved to combo box
- Square representation of composition in addition to circle
- Searching for Objects and Collections libraries
- Rotation lock function in Eden
- About 100 new objects for CUP
- Option menu
- User settings now saved to profile namespace
- Import/export of single category
- "Place logic" button to "Basic panel"
Fixed:
- Multiply objects placing with (CTRL+LMB)
- Scope bug in object library
- Ctrl, shift, alt keys got stacked sometimes
- Minor GUI issues
- A lot small bug fixes
Changed:
- Camera speed is not related to framerate any more
- All textures moved to separate pbo, for faster iterations
- Screenshot reference moved to config file
- Info GUI made smaller
- Resources separated into individual files
- "CT" button moved from toolbar to menu strip
- Minor changes to resources
- project import/export excluded from GUI menu (will be re-introduced in project manager GUI)
- Several minor changes in library GUIs
- Major re-factoring of import system
Removed:
- Building tooltip while in eden

---/DEVELOPMENT BRANCH
Added:
Fixed:
Changed:

Removed:

• Like 17

Excellent work, man! Finally we can set some custom structures with ease!

THAT is exactly what I need to polish off some missions I'm making!!!! THANK YOU MAN!!!!!!

Do i understand right that it has similar funtionality like x-cam (i don't mention about grouping and specific features of x-cam).

If yes - duuuude wow!

to kromka,

I am not familiar with x-cam too much, so i cant compare my project with it. I can say for sure x-cam is indeed Impressive and solid utility, as well as map builder. Take your time looking into these great tools, it is always good to have multiply hammers each for own use.

As of functionality currently available in CompoT. There are plenty features, grouping, multi select, multi rotation, randomization of single objects and compositions,...and more.

The problem is i can not document all of that. It will be too much boring reading. What i need is video presenting all key features.

There is a problem, my PC is crap (total crap) i cant capture video on it, thus i need someones help, maybe there is someone willing to help in this metter, pleaes PM me.

Mind,

Even if it will have a half functionality of x-cam but it will allow of easy placing statics (maybe also trees and rocks and such cute rocky walls) i am sure your mod will be used as a natural and default part of Eden.

You know: i don't use but it looks good to have it (something like James Joyce "Ulysses" among the books :) )

I will definitely look into it today.

The problem is i can not document all of that. It will be too much boring reading. What i need is video presenting all key features.

I'm more of a reader than a watcher myself, but any form of documentation will do! ;)

New sections added, User guide and Screenhots

This just makes the wait for the main branch release even more painful damn you!

to alexcroox

I am sorry  :( . Hopefully it will not take too long...

to darkxess

Yes, only dev branch at the moment.

so, basically, if I do have Allinarmaterrainpack addon (which is exactly what cup terrain is) I will not see cup terrain objects in CT mode in 3d editor ? 

pawelkpl, While CUP have same classnames as AIA in addition to own classnames. AIA is NOT exectly what CUP is. CUP is next step made by community, it is based on kju`s AIA. CUP is future while AIA is past.

Regarding your question. Yes, you will not see them in object browser. Hovewer there is specifically made GUI (F6) called object library. You can use it to add ANY classnames from ANY mod (AIA for example) to objects library. Obviously you will not see pictures (screenshots) in object browser, hovewer added objects will be available for building, both in CompoT editor mode and Eden.

This hovewer is not full tutorial, i am currently working hard on textual tutorial build in CompoT, i do understand CompoT is curently bearly usable without documentation. I will fix that soon!

• Like 1

Thank you for swift reply. ComoT is a great addon in my opinion. Thank you.

First, let me thank you Mind for this amazing tool. I'm just getting used to it but I already see the great possibilities. However, I have encountered an error message and I'd like to ask for your help. The error doesn't seem to affect anything, it just pops up when I'm loading my mission to test it, and it stays on the screen only for a few seconds.

This is the error message:

error.jpg

To be completely honest I am not entirely sure if the error is caused by the mod, but I haven't done any 'special' in my mission except this tool (so no scripting, additional mods etc.).

Any help regarding this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dear Kontur,

This error is not related to CompoT.

This issue is related to DEV branch.

There is a problem in file "A3/modules_f/sites/site_inits/patrol.sqf"

file have variable _pickedGrp. This variable is inited by following line:

_pickedGrp = _groupsPool select floor random count _groupsPool;

array _groupsPool is empty. (thats the source of problem).

so when _pickedGrp trying to take random element from empty array

it fail miserably  :D

Dont worry BIS will fix it next update. (hopefully  :) )

Hi mind,

Spent the best part of yesterday using this fantastic tool (much to my girlfriends annoyance)  :nono:

Switch over to Dev branch just for the pleasure....However, i do prefer to use Stable so i look forward to 2016 where Eden and CompoT will live in perfect harmony together.

Keep up the great work Sir!

Thank you very much, for your kind words!

It REALLY does metter for me  :rolleyes:

I would like to announce, i got gtx 760 today, and finally able to record video tutorials. Can`t garantee i will make something still this weak, but i will try.

• Like 1

Guys, check out promo video for CompoT (see first post), comments below video are welcomed.

As we get closer and closer to release of Eden, i am working on solid version, that will stick around for

sometime. As soon as i done with it, i will start making video tutorials. It would be waste of time to do

tutorials erlier, for old version. Stay tuned for updates. ;)

• Like 1

The video showcase is really excellent, lets this amazing tool shine.

Love that soundtrack.......real funky. ;)  

Excellent tool and great example of an Eden Plug In!!!    A possible bug...  not sure if it would be with your tool, Eden, or a combination of both...?

I'm subscribed to the CT_Dev instance...   While using the CT Object Browser and scrolling pages with the mouse wheel in Eden 3D view, the view behind the CT Object Browser zooms in and out also.   is there any way to force focus mouse wheel scrolls to the Object Browser so the view behind it does not scroll/zoom at the same time?  

Cheers!

eem

hi eem,

Scroll wheel bug is something i cannot do anything about. No matter what control is focused, mouse wheel scrolling still captured by engine, and zoom occurs.

It is same with all controls/displays, including eden`s native controls. It is impassible to prevent default event handler execution, of "onMouseZChanged".

I assume, it is because mouse wheel handling historically was closer to engine than other controls. If i am wrong, maybe Karel will correct me.