kennychr

"call compile format" doesnt seem to work ?

So i have been trying to shorten the loadout script ive been using for our community and ive hit a dead end. It wont compile the call for the loadout at all. The idea of this fnc was to shorten the script lenght a whole lot as we had been using a very long file with if (player == class) then {run loadout}. And i wanted to make something more sleek and faster as this is intended to run on  the client. basic idea of it is: Find player class, compare player class to the array of classes, run appropriate loadout fnc.

It works if i substitute the call with a hint so im guessing there is something from with my call compile format part...

thanks for any help!

_caller = _this select 0;
_playerClass = typeOf _caller;
//To be moved to separete file
_playerClasses = [
"B_Soldier_F",
"B_Soldier_GL_F"
];

{
	if (_x == _playerClass) then {
		call compile format  ["AW_fnc_%1",_playerClass];
	};

} forEach _playerClasses;

• Like 1

Do the functions your calling require any parameters to be passed in?

• Like 1

call call compile format  ["AW_fnc_%1",_playerClass];

1. format  ["AW_fnc_%1",_playerClass]; => "AW_fnc_B_Soldier_F"
2. compile format  ["AW_fnc_%1",_playerClass]; => {AW_fnc_B_Soldier_F}
3. call compile format  ["AW_fnc_%1",_playerClass]; => call {AW_fnc_B_Soldier_F} => AW_fnc_B_Soldier_F

4. call call compile format  ["AW_fnc_%1",_playerClass]; => call AW_fnc_B_Soldier_F

• Like 1

Avoid compiling on the fly as much as possible. There are better ways how to extract variable with dynamically composed name:

call (missionNameSpace getVariable format ["AW_fnc_%1",_playerClass]);
  • Like 3

Since it's just a loadout/gear script. Why not use the playerclass as a case in a switch-case instead? That would avoid dynamic variables.

Thanks for the input! I was aiming for a "small" fnc that read the player class and then ran the correct loadout on the player if it existed. The reason i was aiming for that is to lessen the "ohmygod so much text" for users that are not too familiar with code in the first place, i.e: x player wants to make their custom mission for a gamenight and want to have custom loadouts. English isnt my first language so its kinda hard to put down exactly what im aiming for with the function.