l337acc

[SP Campaign] Delta Force: Altis

I have to play Arma by basically crawling 10 meters, waiting to see if anything happens, look around 360 degrees about 7 times, crawl another 10 meters, repeat, then randomly get shot from a mile away, wonder what happened, click retry until I fall asleep at my computer or finally realize I'm garbage and need to quit. Not sure how to play any more slowly or tactically than I already am. Spent 10 full minutes sneaking up on that first patrol and they still turned around and 1 shot KO'd me my last run through.

Okay, well, I'm working on a solution for ya.

No need to edit up just for me, I was just wondering about the invincibility for testing. Worst comes to worst I'll wait for someone to post videos of the missions and live the campaign vicariously lol.

No need to edit up just for me, I was just wondering about the invincibility for testing. Worst comes to worst I'll wait for someone to post videos of the missions and live the campaign vicariously lol.

Well it only took 5 minutes. PM already sent :D

Hey @corporal_lib, you play with ACE right? Is it causing any issues in these missions?

I haven´t noticed anything ACE related, but if I use MCC virtual arsenal, the voice commands get distorted like you´ve reported... if I don´t use it (you can log on MCC but don´t use VA) the voice is fine =)

@Mynock: stop wasting your gaming nights suffering, I´ve PM´d you a kickass AI precision limiter that "humanizes" A3 AI to a playable level.... =D

@1337acc:thanks for the fixes! I´ll play the last 3 mission tonight, yay!

Cheers!

• Like 1

I haven´t noticed anything ACE related, but if I use MCC virtual arsenal, the voice commands get distorted like you´ve reported... if I don´t use it (you can log on MCC but don´t use VA) the voice is fine =)

@Mynock: stop wasting your gaming nights suffering, I´ve PM´d you a kickass AI precision limiter that "humanizes" A3 AI to a playable level.... =D

Cheers!

No problem! Hmm...I might be interested in seeing this "humanized" AI too. Does the MCC Virtual Arsenal also do this for other missions, or just mine?

Cheers!

No problem! Hmm...I might be interested in seeing this "humanized" AI too. Does the MCC Virtual Arsenal also do this for other missions, or just mine?

I think I'd like to see it too.

Mynock's post had me rolling because that's essentially what my ARMA 3 gaming nights look like too. Sweet sweet suffering. :(

I'll be trying this baby out soon, l337acc. I can't wait. I might even be able to squeeze in the first mission here tonight.

This mod - https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/178831-all-the-weapons/?hl=twisted

If you scrap the tws_randWeapons.pbo (which randomizes Ai/or player or both loadouts), and just use tws_aimFix.pbo you get a human-like aiming skill for AI (they miss a lot on long ranges and tend to hit after 1-3 shots on CQB if you rush near them)

Personally I use Drongo´s drSkill mod too, but maybe it is just a "placebo" cus I recall bootcamp AI changes fubaring all AI limiters (All weapons AI fix was released post bootcamp) including Zeus Ai which was the best till them; but anyways, if it doesn´t get the desired effect, try using drSkill alongside lol

[Edit] and yeah, only your campaign has this voice bug (and I recall some other missions, which I don´t recall the names, but maybe some script you´ve used can trigger this stretched voices) I pretty much use MCC Virtual Arsenal on any mission I use and recently only your campaign caused this bugged voice....

cheers!

This is without question the hardest SP mission I've played to date in ARMA 3. I've been at this over 2 hours and haven't been able to clear out the first base. If things actually get harder from here, I think I'll either have to gracefully tap out or wait for you to gather more feedback and try again if you tweak some things.

Now first, I have to admit, I'm a terrible terrible player. And to compliment you, your enemy placement is very well done. Some of the best I've seen yet in a SP set up.

My issue is with how brutally accurate the AI is once they detect you. Almost to the point that I'm wondering if you somehow adjust enemy CPU firing accuracy or recognition of the blufor player position. And I'm not even necessarily referring to myself. In two instances trying to clear the first mission, within a matter of moments I was by myself because my teammates had died during the first encounter (which admittedly would obviously make the last leg of the final part of the first mission much harder).

I'll give you an example of a specific enemy you should either remove entirely or rework somehow. You have an enemy set to spawn at the very south of the map inside of the base. This enemy is on standing to the right side of the place on the map that says "77" on it. Knowing he was there, he managed to kill me around 20 consecutive times (one on one scenario, just me and him were left), because to the back of him, any shot at him is covered by brush. To the front of him directly while peaking around the corner, he instantaneously spot and kills me when I try to attempt a peak around cover shot. Moving further away to the front of him and trying to crawl in the grass near the truck results in the same thing which is crazy. He's also protected by Objective Crows concrete wall out in front of him (the direction he's facing), impossible to see from the water tower above him, and still insta-kills you when you go all the way around the base and attempt to take him out from his right.

He's like the perfectly impossible to kill enemy thanks to ARMA's insane vanilla AI and that guy needs to go! I'd kill him but I literally can't. :)

I hope you don't take my critique too hard. The template is exactly what I'm looking for here. But this is nails hard because the AI can immediately detect you and one shot kill you..

If you scrap the tws_randWeapons.pbo (which randomizes Ai/or player or both loadouts), and just use tws_aimFix.pbo you get a human-like aiming skill for AI (they miss a lot on long ranges and tend to hit after 1-3 shots on CQB if you rush near them)

Personally I use Drongo´s drSkill mod too, but maybe it is just a "placebo" cus I recall bootcamp AI changes fubaring all AI limiters (All weapons AI fix was released post bootcamp) including Zeus Ai which was the best till them; but anyways, if it doesn´t get the desired effect, try using drSkill alongside lol

cheers!

Thanks. I wish I had refreshed the page before trying the mission. LOL! I got my ass handed to me tonight like never before since owning ARMA. :)

Thanks. I wish I had refreshed the page before trying the mission. LOL! I got my ass handed to me tonight like never before since owning ARMA. :)

The enemy placement is spot on... even using these AI accuracy limiters, the enemy can still pwn you if you get cocky lol

Mission 6 is Dark Souls challenging level (you gotta kill over 40 tangos without letting them fire a bullet or else mission fails... even after disabling the alarm... had to use No Target function to enjoy this mission or else I´d take more than 3 hours to finish this up retrying my as$ off lol)

One mission to go =)

cheers!

• Like 1

So I've been giving this a lot of thought and wanted to come back in and clarify my previous post a bit. I can't imagine how discouraging reading that must be. This isn't some run of the mill, fly by night ARMA lack-luster-Workshop-fest. This is a wonderfully crafted SP campaign that even during mission 1, holds my attention better than Bohemia's campaign. I promise I will see this mission through because I can tell it's been made with care. Even the voice acting you have in place during the first mission sounds very believable. You and your buddy sound like real people and not some Super Soldier McSlaughter which I like.

I'm going to back track in saying the first mission is too hard. I actually made it all the way to the compound during my first attempt before getting sniped as I tried to approach from the left.

What made it too hard (brutally hard) was the fact that during my last couple of runs, everyone on my side except one Charlie member and myself were dead. Of course it was too hard! Me and one dude tried to clear out an entire ISIS compound on our own. And I couldn't even tell him where to go because he wasn't on my squad. :)

Perhaps sometime during development, you could clarify better to the player when they're supposed to send Charlie and Alpha in? It was pretty unclear to me what conditions you wanted me to send them in under. Was I supposed to send them in right away? When would be a good time to give them the go-ahead? What am I waiting for? What am I supposed to see or do before knowing when it's the right time to ask for their support?

Obviously two guys won't be successful against 20 ISIS. I think that's why I was having so many issues. It was me against the world and I'm sure you didn't intend that. And that guy I couldn't kill? I had a grenade I could have thrown but I was being stubborn because I wanted to shoot him. Though I still think he should be removed (it would be impossible in my mind at least for anyone to take him out on their first try) I should have approached him a different way.

Anyway brother, I hope I didn't discourage you. For one, I suck at this game and if my hand isn't being held I suck even more. I like what I've seen so for and I plan on playing it again. Sorry for sounding harsh before and know that I'm on board with this mission as it continues to develop.

[Edit] and yeah, only your campaign has this voice bug (and I recall some other missions, which I don´t recall the names, but maybe some script you´ve used can trigger this stretched voices) I pretty much use MCC Virtual Arsenal on any mission I use and recently only your campaign caused this bugged voice....

cheers!

I'll definitely give those a try. Do you happen to know if there's a way to fix that issue with the VA? Until I know how to fix it, I'll add it to the known issues.

This is without question the hardest SP mission I've played to date in ARMA 3. I've been at this over 2 hours and haven't been able to clear out the first base. If things actually get harder from here, I think I'll either have to gracefully tap out or wait for you to gather more feedback and try again if you tweak some things.

Now first, I have to admit, I'm a terrible terrible player. And to compliment you, your enemy placement is very well done. Some of the best I've seen yet in a SP set up.

My issue is with how brutally accurate the AI is once they detect you. Almost to the point that I'm wondering if you somehow adjust enemy CPU firing accuracy or recognition of the blufor player position. And I'm not even necessarily referring to myself. In two instances trying to clear the first mission, within a matter of moments I was by myself because my teammates had died during the first encounter (which admittedly would obviously make the last leg of the final part of the first mission much harder).

I'll give you an example of a specific enemy you should either remove entirely or rework somehow. You have an enemy set to spawn at the very south of the map inside of the base. This enemy is on standing to the right side of the place on the map that says "77" on it. Knowing he was there, he managed to kill me around 20 consecutive times (one on one scenario, just me and him were left), because to the back of him, any shot at him is covered by brush. To the front of him directly while peaking around the corner, he instantaneously spot and kills me when I try to attempt a peak around cover shot. Moving further away to the front of him and trying to crawl in the grass near the truck results in the same thing which is crazy. He's also protected by Objective Crows concrete wall out in front of him (the direction he's facing), impossible to see from the water tower above him, and still insta-kills you when you go all the way around the base and attempt to take him out from his right.

He's like the perfectly impossible to kill enemy thanks to ARMA's insane vanilla AI and that guy needs to go! I'd kill him but I literally can't. :)

I hope you don't take my critique too hard. The template is exactly what I'm looking for here. But this is nails hard because the AI can immediately detect you and one shot kill you..

No hard feelings, man. I'll look into forcing the AI accuracy to be a bit less tough after I get home from work today. In pretty much all missions I have the enemy seek and destroy your position once your detected, to sort of mimic a realistic response. When making the missions, I set the enemy positions as if I were ISIS. I'll admit, there were some positions that I set enemies at that were almost impossible to counter so I removed them. The thinking here is that ISIS aren't a bunch of schmucks that decided one day to grab some weapons and establish a caliphate, they are well trained, well equipped, and brutal in their tactics - so I wanted to represent that to some degree.

The enemy placement is spot on... even using these AI accuracy limiters, the enemy can still pwn you if you get cocky lol

Mission 6 is Dark Souls challenging level (you gotta kill over 40 tangos without letting them fire a bullet or else mission fails... even after disabling the alarm... had to use No Target function to enjoy this mission or else I´d take more than 3 hours to finish this up retrying my as$ off lol)

One mission to go =)

cheers!

Hah, thanks for the feedback. Disabling the alarm should stop the mission from failing if you get detected. Arma 3 AI doesn't like to go through buildings very well, so your AI teammates should probably wait outside as you go into the building. I set the AI to be super dumb too, but also added a surprise or two. I'll look into a bit more when I get back today.

So I've been giving this a lot of thought and wanted to come back in and clarify my previous post a bit. I can't imagine how discouraging reading that must be. This isn't some run of the mill, fly by night ARMA lack-luster-Workshop-fest. This is a wonderfully crafted SP campaign that even during mission 1, holds my attention better than Bohemia's campaign. I promise I will see this mission through because I can tell it's been made with care. Even the voice acting you have in place during the first mission sounds very believable. You and your buddy sound like real people and not some Super Soldier McSlaughter which I like.

I'm going to back track in saying the first mission is too hard. I actually made it all the way to the compound during my first attempt before getting sniped as I tried to approach from the left.

What made it too hard (brutally hard) was the fact that during my last couple of runs, everyone on my side except one Charlie member and myself were dead. Of course it was too hard! Me and one dude tried to clear out an entire ISIS compound on our own. And I couldn't even tell him where to go because he wasn't on my squad. :)

Perhaps sometime during development, you could clarify better to the player when they're supposed to send Charlie and Alpha in? It was pretty unclear to me what conditions you wanted me to send them in under. Was I supposed to send them in right away? When would be a good time to give them the go-ahead? What am I waiting for? What am I supposed to see or do before knowing when it's the right time to ask for their support?

Obviously two guys won't be successful against 20 ISIS. I think that's why I was having so many issues. It was me against the world and I'm sure you didn't intend that. And that guy I couldn't kill? I had a grenade I could have thrown but I was being stubborn because I wanted to shoot him. Though I still think he should be removed (it would be impossible in my mind at least for anyone to take him out on their first try) I should have approached him a different way.

Anyway brother, I hope I didn't discourage you. For one, I suck at this game and if my hand isn't being held I suck even more. I like what I've seen so for and I plan on playing it again. Sorry for sounding harsh before and know that I'm on board with this mission as it continues to develop.

Not at all. And thanks for the kind words :) It's pretty much up to you when you send in Alpha/Charlie, and believe it or not I made sure the campaign was beatable by playing it through without invincibility myself. I guess it helps that I know where everything is :P One tip I have for you is that once you make contact and the enemy knows you're there, they will try to seek and destroy your position or defend their positions. This is a good time to send in Charlie for flanking or Alpha for support once you have their attention.

In pretty much all missions I have the enemy seek and destroy your position once your detected, to sort of mimic a realistic response. When making the missions, I set the enemy positions as if I were ISIS. I'll admit, there were some positions that I set enemies at that were almost impossible to counter so I removed them. The thinking here is that ISIS aren't a bunch of schmucks that decided one day to grab some weapons and establish a caliphate, they are well trained, well equipped, and brutal in their tactics - so I wanted to represent that to some degree.

Totally agree and I would urge you not to change it. I mean, i'm fine if other players want change, i just like to have a tougher challenge. Of course, i'm against 1000+m-headshots-super-sniper-one-shot-one-kill-AI :D 

I like the fact you took time to place AI in a way a reasonable combatant would do in a real life combat. I'm generally missing that in most Arma scenarios cause the AI usually runs around wildly.

cheers!

Thanks for the tip about MCC VA.I use it in basically every mission as well.Although I have started using the "outfit gear" mod as it allows you to save loadouts and apply them to ai teammates. With regards to the super aiming,I use ASR_AI(just switched to the enhanced version by pooter) i find this dramatically reduces laser precision,while making AI more intelligent-they will flank,enter buildings,sprint for cover and also automatically put NVG's away during the day.

Well now i can go back to this cool campaign without funny voices hurray! ;D

Just got back from work, and it's been a long day. Got another long day tomorrow too, so I probably wont be able to release an update until the weekend. On a side note, I have tested out forcing some of the AI's subskills and found it gives a different feeling to the game, mainly more "forgiving". This is what I've tried:

["aimingspeed", 0.2];
["spotdistance", 0.2];
["aimingaccuracy", 0.2];
["aimingshake", 0.2];
["spottime", 0.4];
["spotdistance", 0.6];
["commanding", 0.6];
["general", 0.7];

I don't want to make it too easy, as I want to retain the sobriety of going up against trained forces of overwhelming numbers. These values are definitely going to need some tweaking and I want to get it right. If anyone has any suggestions then that would be great. 

Totally agree and I would urge you not to change it. I mean, i'm fine if other players want change, i just like to have a tougher challenge. Of course, i'm against 1000+m-headshots-super-sniper-one-shot-one-kill-AI :D

I like the fact you took time to place AI in a way a reasonable combatant would do in a real life combat. I'm generally missing that in most Arma scenarios cause the AI usually runs around wildly.

Yeah for me personally I like the challenge, but I can definitely see how it can be overwhelming for a lot of people. Maybe I'll keep things how they are and release a "normal" version?

Thanks for the tip about MCC VA.I use it in basically every mission as well.Although I have started using the "outfit gear" mod as it allows you to save loadouts and apply them to ai teammates. With regards to the super aiming,I use ASR_AI(just switched to the enhanced version by pooter) i find this dramatically reduces laser precision,while making AI more intelligent-they will flank,enter buildings,sprint for cover and also automatically put NVG's away during the day.

Well now i can go back to this cool campaign without funny voices hurray! ;D

Nice! Sorry about the VA thing. I have no idea how to fix it.

I don´t know exactly what on Virtual Arsenal from MCC causes the distorted voice on your campaign, maybe some script you´ve used (I recall some missions had this bug, maybe a specific script triggers it), but I may have a hunch: you have set the main character voice to use an Altian voice... when you open VA you have the option to change your character voice, so this may conflict with the character init options... try to delete this forced voice on the init and we can try it with VA and see what happens!

I recall I´ve disabled the alarm, but the "you´re a stealth genius" hint still triggered cus the AI companions were engaging the ISIS soldiers outside, so I rushed to load a save before the mission failed... I´ll try to replay using that save and disable no target and see if the AI inside the hotel could spot me without failing the mission =)

cheers!

I don´t know exactly what on Virtual Arsenal from MCC causes the distorted voice on your campaign, maybe some script you´ve used (I recall some missions had this bug, maybe a specific script triggers it), but I may have a hunch: you have set the main character voice to use an Altian voice... when you open VA you have the option to change your character voice, so this may conflict with the character init options... try to delete this forced voice on the init and we can try it with VA and see what happens!

I recall I´ve disabled the alarm, but the "you´re a stealth genius" hint still triggered cus the AI companions were engaging the ISIS soldiers outside, so I rushed to load a save before the mission failed... I´ll try to replay using that save and disable no target and see if the AI inside the hotel could spot me without failing the mission =)

cheers!

Ah okay, I'll see if I have anything like that set in the players INIT. HAHA! That was a debug hint to make sure a trigger fired which I forgot to delete. I've removed it for the next update :D.

Yeah for me personally I like the challenge, but I can definitely see how it can be overwhelming for a lot of people. Maybe I'll keep things how they are and release a "normal" version?

Sounds good. Though it means additional workload for you ;)

If you are only after the Virtual Arsenal feature there is a lightweight mod which provides that (and a few other things too). It may not have the footprint that MCC has, so that may be less conflicting with the mission. The mod is Benargee's Simple Single Player Cheat menu. It gives you VA in any mission if you choose to use it.

Wow! What a punch in the stomach.... loved the anti-cathartic ending (and it kinda correspond to some of my own suspicions about the whole IS situation =)

Great campaign, will replay when you release the gold version (with all voices and bits and bolts), I hope the AI mod I´ve linked helped people to beat those hard missions and see this mind blowing endings ;D

cheers!

• Like 1

I like the mission type.But you shouldn't use the obsolete RHS:Escaltion, but the RHS:AFRF and RHS:USAF

Wow! What a punch in the stomach.... loved the anti-cathartic ending (and it kinda correspond to some of my own suspicions about the whole IS situation =)

Great campaign, will replay when you release the gold version (with all voices and bits and bolts), I hope the AI mod I´ve linked helped people to beat those hard missions and see this mind blowing endings ;D

cheers!

Thanks, buddy! Glad you liked it :D

I like the mission type.But you shouldn't use the obsolete RHS:Escaltion, but the RHS:AFRF and RHS:USAF

Isn't that what RHS: Escalation is?