raptoer

Pooter's enhanced ASR AI

I have a strange issue with both versions of ASR_AI and with BCombat.They both used to be fine, but a couple of months ago an issue began where when I run either mod enemy ai just can not hit me. I can literally stand 20 feet away and they will blast all around me on auto-and miss every shot. After 40-60 rounds they will get one or to lucky hits, but it means i can stroll through every mission unscathed.

Otherwise the ai act well-moving, hiding, throwing smoke etc...but they can't shoot.i have changed difficulty settings in game and changed the config-no difference at all..

Anyone else had this issue? It has persisted for months through several updates to both mods and the game itself.

Hi Pooter, any chance of an update in line with base ASR? Thanks again for your awesome mod! 

• Like 5

I didn't do the previous version because there wasn't much in it, but I'll do the current one in a few days.

• Like 2

Updates to ASR-AI 0.9.30

The only change to the PE parts were adding the config options to CBA's configure addons button.

And on that note I'm actually curious as to people's opinions on the two halves of this mod.

I have a feeling that people like the counter-attack portion, but the going to cover part just kinda gets in the way.

One thing I am considering adding is automatically cancelling the search & destroy waypoint that the counterattack uses after a period of time so that the AI will go back to their previous jobs reliably.

• Like 3

I personally think your cover routine is invaluable and not really to be found elsewhere. It just needs to be dialed in or dialed down, per user preference.

With your AI, the formation remains scattered and loses cohesion more and more the longer they stay in combat mode. I find that the best fix for me is to simply increase the evaluate cover variable from 30 seconds to something like 120 seconds. That seems to give the AI enough time to usually seek out decent nearest cover, but then regroup a little bit before seeking out new cover again. It strikes a good balance of using your really excellent cover routine versus keeping more or less a coherent group while in combat mode.

I'm strongly against totally eliminating the cover routine, though! I appreciate that the AI consistently don't just scratch their asses in the open.

In regular ASR AI (probably drawing largely on vanilla AI), a squad tends to be far more conservative about breaking formation when in combat mode. So when the squad members alternate covering and moving, as a group they more approximately stay together. But in semi-open terrain, they are also very likely to go prone while remaining in formation.

Other ideas I had on this, of lesser value and increasing complexity:

Maybe an occasional 1-2 minute pause of the cover routine will permit the squad to reform while still using normal ASR + vanilla cover routines, allowing them to also cover a bit of ground. Then your cover routine kicks back in and makes them take cover again. That's a crude way to do it w/o incurring CPU cost -- in fact it'd slightly lower cost during the cover routine pause.

Another way might be to periodically check for max unit distance from squad lead, or use something like Zenophon's average distance function. When it exceeds so many meters (50, maybe?), pause or cancel cover routine until the unit mostly reforms near the group leader.

"Bounding": dynamically split a group into 2 sub-groups. While one sub-group runs the cover routine and provides suppression / overwatch, the other sub-group cancels the cover routine and follows waypoint (using only regular ASR AI and vanilla AI cover routines). Every cycle, they switch roles. 10 seconds might be too demanding of the foolish AI. 30 seconds might work well.

• Like 2

Is there a non-Steam download of your new version for manual install?

There is, I did a release on github, I just forgot to update the link on the front page.

I'm surprised that the cover mechanics could cause AI to split because of it being invoked multiple times. The pieces of cover are selected relative to the leader. Even if the AI is miles away they are told to get to cover near the leader. Though I could see it being caused by AI being left behind because they like their cover while everyone else moves on to other pieces.

• Like 1

And I got it off Armaholic, thanks (to you and Foxhound)!

I haven't looked under the hood of your scripts, but in editor and in play, I've observed squads for about 10 minutes, and at the default 30 seconds reevaluate cover, I saw single individual AI units get up to 300m away from the rest of the group (and continuing to grow more distant), either moving ahead or staying behind. As I increased that variable, they seemed to reset back to the group leader better while still taking cover nearby consistently.

Also, in some cases, the group leader hangs back several hundred meters while the rest of the squad advances.

Since I don't know much about AI scripting, I may be observing something else completely and ascribing this behavior to your cover routine.

So maybe it's that, with shorter delays, the routine says, "Well, this cover I'm already at is pretty good, I'll stay here." But a longer delay means "Oh, my group leader has really moved far since the last evaluation. I'd better move up to new cover near him." Not sure why sometimes one unit will advance way far ahead towards the destination waypoint.

The latest round of skirmish tests were run in central Altis, in open country with some scattered low stone walls, hedges, houses, and occasional low hill or rock outcropping.

bottom line though: cover routine is effective, albeit with longer delays between cycles. Vote for keeping it in place. :)

• Like 4

Updates to ASR-AI 0.9.30

The only change to the PE parts were adding the config options to CBA's configure addons button.

And on that note I'm actually curious as to people's opinions on the two halves of this mod.

I have a feeling that people like the counter-attack portion, but the going to cover part just kinda gets in the way.

One thing I am considering adding is automatically cancelling the search & destroy waypoint that the counterattack uses after a period of time so that the AI will go back to their previous jobs reliably.

AI counter attack is nice but so is the taking cover part :)

What about making it random parameter in config so for example you could set 70% attack and 30% cover? Same with S&D WP, sometimes they continue to hunt you and sometimes they return to their duties after X  random  minutes.

Thanks for keeping this updated and sharing it with the rest of us - keep up your great work!

/KC

AI counter attack is nice but so is the taking cover part :)

What about making it random parameter in config so for example you could set 70% attack and 30% cover? Same with S&D WP, sometimes they continue to hunt you and sometimes they return to their duties after X  random  minutes.

Thanks for keeping this updated and sharing it with the rest of us - keep up your great work!

/KC

Well the counter attack is supposed to begin after a duration of being left alone after an attack. It's not one or the other.

I could attempt to have some of the AI in the group return fire while the rest move to cover, and I'll try that later today.

As for canceling the WP it's more to ensure that AI don't get sidetracked from their mission created WPs.  They'll gladly sit in the middle of a field where you were 10 minutes ago and stop patrolling.

• Like 1

Any way to disable the "Moving, Attacking, Not hiding" text?

Thats debug code...

oops. I completely messed up and left debug code in the production release.

I'll changethat when I get home in a few hours.

• Like 3

Thats debug code...

oops. I completely messed up and left debug code in the production release.

I'll changethat when I get home in a few hours.

0.2.3 version fixes problems related to debug code.

• Like 3

Hi,

I activated the addon today on our dedi. Before and after I had Vanilla ASR running. @Alive, @cup terrain, @RHS, @ProjektOpfor. The enemies are displayed through ProjectOpfor Taliban.

The AI didn't shoot "enough". It was looking straight at me but only shot seldom (and then missed). My Goal is a ratio of 2:1 in the open (2 dead ai, 1 dead player) and so I had to go back to ASR for now. Any ideas? I like the idea of AI behaving more realisticly a lot.

Sadly this addon hasn't been updated to match the latest versions of ASR, as far as I know. Since the last update that I'm aware of, ASR has adjusted AI fire rates and added features like units falling over when shot. Hopefully this mod gets updated soon! It's unfortunate having to choose between a more aggressive AI and that.

Updated to Pe_ASRAI v0.2.4-0.9.34

Don't use the Play with SIX links, the link on their site still points to v0.1-0.9.27

Link points to old pe_asrai3-0.2.3-0.9.30.zip

/KC