raptoer

Pooter's enhanced ASR AI

This mod is an extension to ASR_AI, hence the funny version number.

I do nothing related to that. Ask in the original ASR_AI thread.

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/163742-asr-ai-3/?p=2927212

I know this is an extension of ASR-I use it.They link is to VanZants "copy my stance mod" which may override the issue that person is having as you can set stances back to "automatic" with it.

So...something weird is happening.ASR_AI is running great-and I know it is running as my ai squad are putting away their NVG's in the day and they will get on mounted guns etc during combat-(which scared the hell out of me the first time it happened!).But when i went to change something in the user config-it is gone.The userconfig folder is empty...how are the features still working?And where did my file go??

It can run without the userconfig, the userconfig just allows you to overwrite the defaults.  No idea where your file went, we can't write, move, or remove files with the commands that we use.

With that being said:

WARNING:

I have decided to declare this mod a failure. The facilities I use to cause the AI to stop in the prescribed cover causes the AI to not shoot as often, or not, I don't really know, and trying to determine the true cause is a bit of a pain. I'll leave it up in case anyone wants to figure out what it is.

AI mods are an absolute pain in the bollocks. Especially since there isn't much control we (scripters) have over their low-level behaviours...:/

I had to stop working on my AI mod for that reason >.<

Goodluck man.

It can run without the userconfig, the userconfig just allows you to overwrite the defaults.  No idea where your file went, we can't write, move, or remove files with the commands that we use.

With that being said:

WARNING:

I have decided to declare this mod a failure. The facilities I use to cause the AI to stop in the prescribed cover causes the AI to not shoot as often, or not, I don't really know, and trying to determine the true cause is a bit of a pain. I'll leave it up in case anyone wants to figure out what it is.

OH THATS A SHAME!I really like this mod-and I find it works perfectly.

Dude..... AI behavior modding is a pain. Bis has some things hard coded. But it is possible to do some things. Looks like you have some fans here. Let me encourage you like a few others encouraged me. Dont give up. Think of it as a losing your hair learning curve. I've learned tons sense I started my stuff. lol I've pulled most of my hair out as well and screemed and was ready to quit, but took a small break got back on the horse and got back at it. Hopefully soon I'll have some updates for my AI mod. So relax and take a breathe. Then get back up on the horse and see what you can learn from whats going on. ;) Maybe sooner or later a few of us can figure out how to work together and make an out of this world mod. One can hope and you never know.

• Like 2

It seems to work fine in single combat, but once you get into a multiplayer situation then it starts to break down.

Dude..... AI behavior modding is a pain. Bis has some things hard coded. But it is possible to do some things. Looks like you have some fans here. Let me encourage you like a few others encouraged me. Dont give up. Think of it as a losing your hair learning curve. I've learned tons sense I started my stuff. lol I've pulled most of my hair out as well and screemed and was ready to quit, but took a small break got back on the horse and got back at it. Hopefully soon I'll have some updates for my AI mod. So relax and take a breathe. Then get back up on the horse and see what you can learn from whats going on. ;) Maybe sooner or later a few of us can figure out how to work together and make an out of this world mod. One can hope and you never I agree!

I agree! Don't give up on this.This is the best ai mod I have used-and i have used them all.It works perfectly for me,and a few bugs are to be expected at the start.Most people seem perfectly happy with what you have done,and if there are issues with mulitplayer then just declare it a singleplayer only mod.There are a lot of people who only play SP and this mod is just too good to be abandoned! :D

• Like 1

I agree! Don't give up on this.This is the best ai mod I have used-and i have used them all.It works perfectly for me,and a few bugs are to be expected at the start.Most people seem perfectly happy with what you have done,and if there are issues with mulitplayer then just declare it a singleplayer only mod.There are a lot of people who only play SP and this mod is just too good to be abandoned! :D

+1

• Like 1

Yeah, I suppose so. I'll try some other ways of coercing the AI to move, but if that doesn't work out then I might cease development but continue support.

Honestly I wish I could just re-write the AI top to bottom in engine and I intend to write an open letter to them asking them to allow more community development of the AI. Ya never know, they might just listen.

• Like 5

Anyone else getting asr_ai3_settings.sqf not found error after 1.54?

Anyone else getting asr_ai3_settings.sqf not found error after 1.54?

Launch arma with -filePatching

Release v0.2-0.9.27

Differentiated danger causes into those which cause AI to attack, and those which cause the AI to go to cover (also some do neither and some do both).

AI indoors will no longer attempt to move to a different position in the house (was buggy).

AI will investigate (attack) even if they do not know enough about the enemy, but the enemy is close.

Redid code that caused AI to move

Added minimum distance for the danger to be for the AI to attempt to take cover.

Redid mechanics to ignore duplicate dangerous events.

• Like 1

Hi raptoer,

Thanks for this work you made.

I have a request, if you are opened to them.

Is it possible to have à more realistic attitude from the AI ?

I always see, with a huge disapointment, the AI immediatly go prone when hearing shot or spot an hostile unit.

Seriously...

In open areas, I can understand this attitude, but when close to structures or even inside structures, go prone ?

I really don't mind that this position is the best for engaging, only if the unit own a precision rifle or a machinegun.

I'd really like to see more hostiles staying stand or crouch when engaging instead of always being prone.

More realistic.

And like the AI is not affected by the grass like the player, it's really boring to shoot through grass instead of shooting on a visible target.

Of course, still concerning the type of weapon the unit using.

Another thing, the shot detection script based on the fact that the weapon using suppressor and subsonic ammo.

Can you remove the subsonic ammo factor ? It's boring, and give a bad result. Using subsonic ammo or not, the shooter is always detected even through structures. That completely destroy the stealth factor.

Is it possible to see theses modifications ?

Thanks  :)

Another thing, the shot detection script based on the fact that the weapon using suppressor and subsonic ammo.

Can you remove the subsonic ammo factor ? It's boring, and give a bad result. Using subsonic ammo or not, the shooter is always detected even through structures. That completely destroy the stealth faW

With regard to shot detection-I have had a lot of success with editing the gunshot hearing in the user config-although you still are heard much closer than vanilla.

Your line "Is it possible to have à more realistic attitude from the AI ?" ...well that sums up what everyone wants from Arma -it's just very hard to achieve :)

Thanks for the update mate-I actually stopped using this addon just yesterday as I found AI (friendly and enemy) were not engaging properly. WithCSAT and CAF Aggressors they will unload ammo at me but just could not hit-Standing 20 mtrs away it would take them at least 60-70 shots to hit me...Hopefully this will fix that because I love this addon :)

So is file patching going to required for all versions ASR moving forward?

We have a dedicated server we rent that doesn't allow file patching.  It would suck royally to have to use vanilla AI in all of our missions from here on out if ASR won't work without it.

• Like 1

I always see, with a huge disapointment, the AI immediatly go prone when hearing shot or spot an hostile unit.

Seriously...

I'd really like to see more hostiles staying stand or crouch when engaging instead of always being prone.

More realistic.

I have basically stopped trying to control AI stance, and am letting the engine handle it. 

But with the engine handling it I don't have many inputs into what the engine is doing, so I would have to completely override the engine behavior and manually control stance.

As with many things with AI modding, it's not impossible, but it's a lot of work, a lot of computation, and I have no idea how well it will work.

If you think about all the things that you would have to take into account, it starts to get a little overwhelming.

-Am I in building (easy)

-Am I near cover (what is cover, and how much is enough to consider enough?)

-Will lowering my stance block enemy vision (from which enemies?)

-Am I about to shoot? (Wouldn't want AI to go prone instead of returning fire)

-How much am I being shot at (I only receive individual events, I would have to aggregate them, then keep track of the aggregation)

-Range to danger? (Again, I only receive individual events, so danger at 10m and danger at 1km would be considered separately)

-AI courage

-AI combat status

-etc.

So is file patching going to required for all versions ASR moving forward?

We have a dedicated server we rent that doesn't allow file patching.  It would suck royally to have to use vanilla AI in all of our missions from here on out if ASR won't work without it.

Yes and No.

I can certainly make it so that if filepatching is off then it won't try to load the user settings.

It's just in the realm of Robalo's base ASR_AI, so I haven't touched it.

• Like 1

With regard to shot detection-I have had a lot of success with editing the gunshot hearing in the user config-although you still are heard much closer than vanilla.

Your line "Is it possible to have à more realistic attitude from the AI ?" ...well that sums up what everyone wants from Arma -it's just very hard to achieve :)

Thanks for the update mate-I actually stopped using this addon just yesterday as I found AI (friendly and enemy) were not engaging properly. WithCSAT and CAF Aggressors they will unload ammo at me but just could not hit-Standing 20 mtrs away it would take them at least 60-70 shots to hit me...Hopefully this will fix that because I love this addon :)

Thats odd. I'll double check that the skill settings are going through correctly, but my mod shouldn't affect accuracy (relative to base ASR_AI).

Can you remove the subsonic ammo factor ? It's boring, and give a bad result. Using subsonic ammo or not, the shooter is always detected even through structures. That completely destroy the stealth factor.

This is in the realm of base ASR_AI, so I have done no testing with it, and have no idea what it does or how it does it. Just remember that gunshot are loud, even suppressors decrease the gunshot to only 140db, still as loud as a rock concert. I have no data on how loud subsonic ammo with a suppressors is, but it's probably above 100db, the strength of a jackhammer at 1m. 

Thats odd. I'll double check that the skill settings are going through correctly, but my mod shouldn't affect accuracy (relative to base ASR_AI).

Yeah I was not sure if it was this or ACE doing it-but I tried it with both and removed each at a time-definitely this causing it.Basically I cannot be hit-changing ai skill in game does nothing.&0 rounds at 20 mtrs and they wont hit me..

This is weird, I've enabled -Filepatching in GOS launcher, set asr_ai3_main_debug to 0 and yet I keep getting debug messages.